|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Judged:
On November 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm, Alton Morgan (local farrier and long time Otero County Resident) was at home just north of Alamogordo when he heard gunshots. After hearing the second shot, Mr. Morgan's daughter Julie ran in the house with blood on her hands telling him that her dog, "Happy" was dying. "Happy" had been shot by the neighbor TWICE. "Happy" had lived with the Morgan girls for a few weeks and they were working to socialize him as he was timid and shy. "Happy" died from two gunshot wounds and died with Julie Morgan at his side.

The sheriffs office was called and a deputy responded. The neighbor admitted to shooting the dog (which I reiterate was shot on the Morgan's property), and said that the half heeler half great dane was bothering his sheep. The Morgan's also have sheep and the dog has never bothered any of the other animals - he was timid and shy.

The neighbor that shot the dog did so with Julie Morgan in the yard - she was outside - and the neighbor had fired the shots toward the Morgan house while aiming for the dog. Let's see, the laws pretty clearly define Reckless Endangerment and things like Extreme Animal Cruelty...

continued in next post
More Facts

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Judged:
-continued

The neighbor, Todd Commers, was not cited by the Sheriff's office. Mr. Morgan contacted the SO again the following day to inquire as to what was being done. In the meantime, he video taped the blood soaked ground, the drag marks where the first shot broke the dog's back and he struggled to crawl toward the house, and the area where the second shot was fired, killing "Happy". Thanksgiving came and went, and no citation for the neighbor. A week passed, Benny House went to the Morgan's to follow up on the shooting of the dog, and still no charges were brought. The Morgan family felt threatened and disappointed that Sheriff House kept offering up excuses.

First, all the reports from the deputies were not turned in so House couldn't do much. Then, since his daughter didn't SEE the gun, there wasn't much they could do (it was 6:30 pm, it was dark, Julie saw the flashlight, heard the shot, heard the dog yelp while she was outside in the yard...hard to see a gun in the dark).

Now, it has been ten days. Mr. Morgan has been advised that his neighbor is a felon out of CA, so he was prohibited from being in possession of a firearm (felon in possession would be another charge). Two days ago, we understand from the Morgan's that House had two deputies retrieve the already decomposing body of the dog for possible autopsy (wow...nothing like doing things timely and in the right order).

It is now December 1st. Benny House has told the Morgan family for days now that the DA's office is looking at the charges and that the FEDS may be taking over the case. Hmmmm. Funny thing is that when we called the DA's office today to ask about the progress on charges against this man, Joan Whitely (the DA's assistant) said she had not heard anything about it.

more in next post
More Facts

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

- continued

Why would federal authorities be interested in filing charges against a person in a case like this when the LOCAL law enforcement officers could easily handle it. One deputy told the Morgan family that he was not sure what the laws on animal cruelty were. The female deputy advised Sheriff House that there was no doubt the neighbor shot the Morgan's dog on their property and that the dog was not able to cross the fence line where the neighbor claimed. Video and photos were taken.

The Morgan's are now being put off with "the DA is looking at it and might let the feds take it over"... a week ago, House told Mr. Morgan that they could only charge Mr. Commers with misdemeanor Negligent Use of a Firearm. Which is it Sheriff House?

Nobody has the right to shoot your dog on YOUR property. There is no evidence - not one harmed hair on a single sheep - that any dog was 'after' Commers's sheep, and most of the time, "Happy" was contained in a small area so that Julie could more easily approach and work with him. Julie Morgan was outside with Happy when he was shot, and Happy was not off the Morgan's property.

After the first shot, Julie crossed the yard (it was dark remember-6:30 pm) and tried to find her dog. She heard Happy cry out at the time she heard the first shot. Even though Julie was in the yard with the dog, Mr. Commers shot the dog a second time. He knew the family was home, he still made the decision to shoot toward the Morgan's house to shoot the dog a second time. According to Mr. Commers (what he told deputies) he shot the dog a second time because it was dragging itself toward the Morgan's house and he had to kill it so it wouldn't get under the house and die. What kind of person does that?

What is it going to take for the Sheriff and his department to do its job??? Would any of you accept such complacency if your pet had been shot on YOUR property? The man broke the law. He shot someone's dog on their property, shooting a firearm toward an inhabited dwelling (intentionally) with a 16 year old girl in the area as well...and he shot TWICE, killing her pet in its own yard.

Sheriff House, you need to take care of this. Alton Morgan is a good man who works hard and is always there for people who need him. Allowing Mr. Commers to commit such a vile act without any kind of accountability is unacceptable.

Animal Protection of NM has been contacted and so has the Attorney General's Animal Cruelty task force. We are going to the media next.

And as of November 30, staff at the DA's office had no knowledge of the incident, had no police reports, and apparently had never been told about the case at all.

You cannot cover up this kind of blatent mistake. In the meantime, Mr. Commers continues to make threats against the Morgan family, and still nothing happens.

Sheriff House, you need to do your job. You didn't even list this incident on the Sheriff's activity log that was given to the newspaper on Nov 21 or 22nd. Why Not?? Why is it that deputies have been dealing with follow up calls on this shooting incident since November 21st, yet nothing has been provided to the paper in your activity logs???

And if any of you readers know the Morgan family, please let them know you are aware of the situation - updates will be posted here.

Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

These Morgan Folks are probably a pretty decent bunch it appears, just a family living in the countryside.

If this happened to me, and whether it happened in the heart of town, or 100 miles out of town, any person shooting my pet, and shooting onto my property would be met with a return volley of a deadly onslaught of bullets, till either they were dead, or I was dead.

Then the sherrif's dept, the police, the national guard, the marines can come get more than just a dead animal.

This familiy's right were severly trodden on.

Sorry to hear that the law authorities here also appear to be a "day late, and a dollar short".
Coach

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

More Facts wrote:
Judged:
-continued
The neighbor, Todd Commers, was not cited by the Sheriff's office. Mr. Morgan contacted the SO again the following day to inquire as to what was being done. In the meantime, he video taped the blood soaked ground, the drag marks where the first shot broke the dog's back and he struggled to crawl toward the house, and the area where the second shot was fired, killing "Happy". Thanksgiving came and went, and no citation for the neighbor. A week passed, Benny House went to the Morgan's to follow up on the shooting of the dog, and still no charges were brought. The Morgan family felt threatened and disappointed that Sheriff House kept offering up excuses.
First, all the reports from the deputies were not turned in so House couldn't do much. Then, since his daughter didn't SEE the gun, there wasn't much they could do (it was 6:30 pm, it was dark, Julie saw the flashlight, heard the shot, heard the dog yelp while she was outside in the yard...hard to see a gun in the dark).
Now, it has been ten days. Mr. Morgan has been advised that his neighbor is a felon out of CA, so he was prohibited from being in possession of a firearm (felon in possession would be another charge). Two days ago, we understand from the Morgan's that House had two deputies retrieve the already decomposing body of the dog for possible autopsy (wow...nothing like doing things timely and in the right order).
It is now December 1st. Benny House has told the Morgan family for days now that the DA's office is looking at the charges and that the FEDS may be taking over the case. Hmmmm. Funny thing is that when we called the DA's office today to ask about the progress on charges against this man, Joan Whitely (the DA's assistant) said she had not heard anything about it.
more in next post
You might want to check to see if Todd is still coaching youth soccer. He probably lied about the convictions in NM, CA and TX on his application.
Update

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

State v. TODD COMMERS
M-38-FR-201200635
30-18-01(E) Extreme Cruelty to Animals F4 11/21/2012
30-07-04(A)(4) Negligent use of a deadly
weapon (near dwelling or
building)
PM 11/21/2012

Chin up
Update

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

That case was just filed yesterday afternoon by the way. It sat for a week.
no one special

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

probably because he was in the marines. seems like certain people can get away with anything.
my ex was in the army and he was as low down as they come yet you always got his way in the court system.
no one special

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

he**always got his way

“Hunting Terrorists!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Where is the charge of "Felon in possession of a Firearm"?

I swear, where are the anti gun nuts when a true (if he really has felony convictions) felon has committed another crime with a firearm he is not suppose to have.
Stand up

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Heisenberg you know it is not a day late you were on here with the gun slinger on Danley Ranch road pulled his crap thank God Benny was there to cover it up for him not much help for the victims they were only human no sweat. He is a real J DANLEY that one.
TDK

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Heisenberg wrote:
These Morgan Folks are probably a pretty decent bunch it appears, just a family living in the countryside.
If this happened to me, and whether it happened in the heart of town, or 100 miles out of town, any person shooting my pet, and shooting onto my property would be met with a return volley of a deadly onslaught of bullets, till either they were dead, or I was dead.
Then the sherrif's dept, the police, the national guard, the marines can come get more than just a dead animal.
This familiy's right were severly trodden on.
Sorry to hear that the law authorities here also appear to be a "day late, and a dollar short".
Agree. What a useless bastard.
raw

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

wth
yes

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

how does this happen
wow

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

wow unbelievable
Know your neighbors

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

http://ocwebserver2.co.otero.nm.us :81/webtaxinq/default.asp?acti on=taxdetail&id=12-065903
Know your neighbors

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

AND

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Know the character of your elected officals and supportors.
Todd

Cloudcroft, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

visit me

https://www.facebook.com/john.donnelly.7568 #!/todd.commers?fref=ts

duh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

I hope the victims look at all the info posted here. Very enlightening. Unfortunately sheriff house has too much time left in office - more of this type of crap may continue.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of107
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Alamogordo Discussions

Search the Alamogordo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Get the Illegals OUT! (Apr '10) 4 hr Nadia Sikes 245
Animal Village NM ?? (Nov '13) 5 hr Just Me 31
Do You Know Ralph? 6 hr Thunk 5
Movement and Housing of Diseased Illegal Aliens... 7 hr Concerned Alamogordian 85
Stop Oppressing My People! 8 hr Tony Betterton 13
Animal Village 9 hr Just Me 34
animal village nm - not what they claim it is (May '11) 14 hr Just Me 206
•••
•••
•••
Alamogordo Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Alamogordo Jobs

•••