Bid for judge

There are 32 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Apr 22, 2010, titled Bid for judge. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Candidate Irene Mirabal-Counts believes a Magistrate Court judge has to be patient, decisive, a good listener and use common sense when applying the law in cases.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
independent thinker

Rio Rancho, NM

#23 Apr 25, 2010
alice wrote:
I know my facts, if you know so much, who was the other sitting judge participating in the forum? And by the way, in some cases, prepared statements or notes, are just a way to stay on track. How is your public speaking? Nothing like someone babbling on about nothing.
The two judges were Rupp and Galassini. Irene, you need to keep up with facts a little better if you want to be judge.
Up2Date

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#24 Apr 25, 2010
alice wrote:
I know my facts, if you know so much, who was the other sitting judge participating in the forum? And by the way, in some cases, prepared statements or notes, are just a way to stay on track. How is your public speaking? Nothing like someone babbling on about nothing.
Actually my public speaking is quite good. I can stay calm and on track. Notes are good, but to read from them as a prepared statement like you are reading to a child .....when you are trying to engage an audience........is.....well boring and unimaginative. The other sitting judge is an incumbent judge, Judge Gene Galassini, who did not take questions from the audience because he is unopposed. It is obvious by past forum formats that only candidates who are unopposed take questions from the audience. Oh by the way part of being a good speaker is knowing the facts.
A lil common sense is all

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Apr 25, 2010
What are the qualifcations to run for this position?

Would there be any other person willing to run?
concerned voter

Alamogordo, NM

#26 Apr 25, 2010
It's almost time to put this puppy to bed. There are two other candidates for this position - they are Steve Guthrie and Scott Newton. Now, as far as Counts goes, the only part of "common sense" that applies to her is the "common" - as the day is long.

Since: Jan 09

Alamogordo

#27 Apr 25, 2010
A lil common sense is all wrote:
The qualifications are a high school diploma. This is why we have a retired state police officer on the bench. The judge in Ruidoso used to be a court clerk, and the judge before her was also a retired officer.

“"Controled Chaos"”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#28 Apr 25, 2010
Vote for a judge who wont give a hibitual criminal 2 years for slinging dope!

“"Controled Chaos"”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#29 Apr 25, 2010
A lil common sense is all wrote:
As if the American public is worried about being qualified. Look who now occupies the White House!
Mountain Dude

Alamogordo, NM

#30 Apr 26, 2010
_Ice_Queen_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain Dude who those big business types are. There really aren't any litter boxes there, except for maybe the defendants. They keep those out behind the courthouse. Fortunately for you he may be retiring sooner than you think. Then you can have the greasy haired Counts woman or arrogant little Newton on the bench. Dont know which would be worse. I for one hate to see Stokely go.
Gee let's I could go down the list, but I believe the hospital and the military come to mind. He is notorious for sending out information that says you must appear in person, but allows the attorney for the hospital to appear via phone from north of I-40. Then he tells the "little" people, who didn't make a donation to his campaign, that they need to take whatever offer the other attorney has made. This is all done AFTER he has spoken to their attorney on the phone. I've also heard of countless people filling out the questions that are sent to defendants regarding court cases and he still rules on the side of the "deep pockets" people. I doubt he ever reads them. Sounds like he really listens to the people he was elected to represent to me. But what do we know up in the mountains? We require a "special" type of justice to deal with all of us.
Tiger

United States

#31 Apr 26, 2010
You sure do seem to "know" alot about the inside workings of Magistrate Court. Unless you spent a significant amount of time there, you would have no knowledge about the phone calls, the courtesy cards, etc. If you are who I think you are, you will not get my vote. Did you not ask to be paid for a volunteer job? When you were turned down, did you not quit? Leave Judge Stokely alone, especially during these trying times for his family. PLEASE. He's retiring. What is your point??? The same to Alice.
Mountain Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee let's I could go down the list, but I believe the hospital and the military come to mind. He is notorious for sending out information that says you must appear in person, but allows the attorney for the hospital to appear via phone from north of I-40. Then he tells the "little" people, who didn't make a donation to his campaign, that they need to take whatever offer the other attorney has made. This is all done AFTER he has spoken to their attorney on the phone. I've also heard of countless people filling out the questions that are sent to defendants regarding court cases and he still rules on the side of the "deep pockets" people. I doubt he ever reads them. Sounds like he really listens to the people he was elected to represent to me. But what do we know up in the mountains? We require a "special" type of justice to deal with all of us.
concerned voter

Alamogordo, NM

#32 Apr 26, 2010
I'm with you Tiger - this is not about Judge Stokely.
Tiger

United States

#33 Apr 26, 2010
You're absolutely right! I'm waiting for my absentee ballot. I know who not to vote for. Judge Stokely has been an excellent Judge for Otero County. He is a lawyer and abides by the law. At this particular time, he deserves our thanks and needs to be left out of this argument. Respect for another human being is what is called for now. He is not running - so why throw the mud. If Alice or her puppet had questions about things in the court, they had plenty of time to ask him face-to-face, why stick a knife in his back now. This is not the time.
concerned voter wrote:
I'm with you Tiger - this is not about Judge Stokely.

Since: Jan 09

Alamogordo

#34 Apr 26, 2010
Mountain Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, Judge Stokely shouldn't even be brought into this. When I worked with him, he was ethical and abided by the laws. Deep pockets in Magistrate Court would only be $10,000, and that isn't very deep to me. You sound like a scorned ex defendant of a civil case. If there was a problem, the the "defendant" should have appealed and brought his actions before the judicial review commission.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christian, What Your Continued Support Of Trump... 5 min Dittoe 333
Impeach Trump 12 min Dittoe 25
Moore of Alabama being asked to step out of race. 18 min Willie Granville 78
Al Franken 1 hr Trapper 74 26
GOP tax plan could save Trump and his family m... 2 hr Good Luck 2
Tax Bill 3 hr Dittoe 2
Steve Bannon and Allies Have Second Thoughts Ab... 4 hr Good Luck 7

Alamogordo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance