'Black Sheep' inactivated

'Black Sheep' inactivated

There are 23 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from May 17, 2011, titled 'Black Sheep' inactivated. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Col. Kevin Huyck, 49th Operations Group commander, presents Lt. Col. Craig Baker, 8th Fighter Squadron commander, with an Air Force Meritorious Service Medal on Friday during the 8th Fighter Squadron inactivation ceremony .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve Gilliam

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Jun 5, 2012
eagle275 Black Sheep wrote:
Sad to see this. The Black Sheep flew the P-40 until 1944 in WW2,then received the P-38. How many units do you know of that flew the P-40 that long? That's where they got the name "Black Sheep" because we got the hand-me downs of eveything.
Baaaaa Baaaa Sheep!Sheep!
Tutor et Ultor - Protect and Avenge
You're right about the hand-me-downs. The squadron flew the hand-me-down Raptors, which many of the crew chiefs and crewmen fondly nicknamed the Craptor. I mentioned that fact to a guy from Lockheed-Martin the other day and he was kind of surprised, a little nonplussed maybe.

At least the squadron is only inactivated. They can always puff out the mothballs and bring it back later.

The 29th Fighter Squadron, formerly at Holloman Air Force Base (and elsewhere I believe) was deactivated some years back - closed down for good.- only alive in history now and in the minds of some F4 guys.
Msgt Steve USAF retired

Grover Beach, CA

#22 Nov 11, 2012
To Devil Dog, Check your history, the Army Air Corps BlackSheep ( 8th Squadron ) was already fighting before the Marine Corp Blacksheep ( VMF 214 )unit was flying combat. As for the mascot they should have never changed it to the newer ugly Blacksheep riding lightning bolt. I have on my right shoulder the original Blacksheep in ink to honor my father who flew 345 combat missions with the 7th & 8th Squadrons 49th Fighter Group. He had 10 Kills and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross among others. He is listed in one of the comments above. Rest In Peace Dad. Never forgotten.
Another old vet

San Diego, CA

#23 Nov 17, 2016
Old Veteran wrote:
I am a Retired Master Sergeant from Deming, in October of 1970 when I was a Buck Sergeant and very young, I was assigned as an F-4D Phantom II Crew Chief to the 8th Tactical Fighter Squadron - the Black Sheep Squadron of the 49th Tactical Fighter Wing, 12th Air Force, Holloman AFB, NM. The Squadron Commander was Lt. Col. Hobart at that time. At that time, crew chiefs were assigned to the individual fighter squadrons and under the fighter squadron commanders. The 49th TFW was the largest tactical fighter wing in the Air Force at that time with four fighter squadron: 7th, 8th, 9th & 417th. In 1971 I was assigned to the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Keflavik, Iceland as a crew chief on F-102 Delta Daggers, but in 1972 I returned to the 49th TFW, this time I was assigned to the 49th OMS and at that time the 49th was TDY to Takhli RTAFB, Thailand participating in Operation Constant Guard III, I was deployed to Thailand and became an F-4D crew chief on the flightline launching the Phantoms on Linebacker I missions over North Vietnam. We came back to Holloman in October of 1972 and within five months in 1973 we were redeployed to Hahn AB, Germany on Operation Crested Cap III and then again in 1974 on Crested Cap IV. I left the 49th in 1975. There is an old saying, Once a 49er always a 49er. When I read that the 8th Fighter Squadron was being deactivated, it made me very sad, I have very fond memories of this very famous fighter squadron that can trace it ancestory back to 1941 in the Southwest Pacific in World War II. I say farewell to my old comrade in arms and never forget the motto of the 49th: Tutor et Ultor - Protect and Avenge. It makes me sad to know that the old 8th is now apart of history. Farwell!
I reported to the 8th in March 1977. I was crew chief on Phantoms until we got new F-15s a couple years later. Great times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
As Trump Plays Golf for his 93rd Time as President 9 min Pragmatist 2
Most Admired 11 min Pragmatist 388
Gates to plead guilty 1 hr Good Luck 22
missions unaccomplished 2 hr Dittoe 12
Russian Bots Retweeted Donald Trump 500,000 Tim... 2 hr Dittoe 42
I Listened... (May '17) 2 hr Dittoe 1,166
Sen. John McCain On Nunes Memo Release: 'We Are... 2 hr Dittoe 43

Alamogordo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance