Blight is serious issue in Alamogordo

Hopefully, this is the first of many Commissioner Corner columns yet to come. As your newest city commissioner in District 2, I want to address issues the city has been faced with - and ignored - for some time. Read more
LandS

Alamogordo, NM

#64 Jun 2, 2010
Scorned wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=23 61831622#!/group.php?gid=11829 0688213433
Please join my Facebook Group page. Maybe a grass roots effort in posting digital pictures with specific locations of the blight in Alamogordo will provoke more council members (City and County) to enforce the codes.
Can't seem to get to the page you suggest........resend the URL please
here ya go folks

Alamogordo, NM

#65 Jun 2, 2010
My friend has a well kept yard with many plants. she is originally from the midwest and is up in age. She has never seen a Rat until TODAY! She saw something out of place in her yard and went to chack it out. Imagine her surprise when a large RAT confronted her, grabbed her dog by the lip and would not let go until she kicked the rat and it tried to bite her! It took a few times with a big rock to kill it. Fortunately it was not rabied. How did this happen to her? because of weeds, garbage, dog poop, etc at her near neighbors. All of which has been called in by numerous people and yet it goes on, Now a woman and a dog were attacked by a RAT! Is this the sign of a healthy city? Do you people with garbage all over your yard, or with weeds or abandoned cars get the picture? Get with the program people!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#66 Jun 2, 2010
here ya go folks wrote:
My friend has a well kept yard with many plants. she is originally from the midwest and is up in age. She has never seen a Rat until TODAY! She saw something out of place in her yard and went to chack it out. Imagine her surprise when a large RAT confronted her, grabbed her dog by the lip and would not let go until she kicked the rat and it tried to bite her! It took a few times with a big rock to kill it. Fortunately it was not rabied. How did this happen to her? because of weeds, garbage, dog poop, etc at her near neighbors. All of which has been called in by numerous people and yet it goes on, Now a woman and a dog were attacked by a RAT! Is this the sign of a healthy city? Do you people with garbage all over your yard, or with weeds or abandoned cars get the picture? Get with the program people!
People like that never "get with the program". "They" are the blight upon this town.
One way of getting rid of them, jack their rent an extra $100/mo, and they'll be out in less than a fortnight. Off to some other area, or town. I see this a lot in this town, people are here one day, then vanish during the night. Reason why? They can't pay their bills, or a more accurate observation, is they are "unwilling" to pay their bills, so they vamoose.
LandS

Alamogordo, NM

#67 Jun 2, 2010
here ya go folks wrote:
My friend has a well kept yard with many plants. she is originally from the midwest and is up in age. She has never seen a Rat until TODAY! She saw something out of place in her yard and went to chack it out. Imagine her surprise when a large RAT confronted her, grabbed her dog by the lip and would not let go until she kicked the rat and it tried to bite her! It took a few times with a big rock to kill it. Fortunately it was not rabied. How did this happen to her? because of weeds, garbage, dog poop, etc at her near neighbors. All of which has been called in by numerous people and yet it goes on, Now a woman and a dog were attacked by a RAT! Is this the sign of a healthy city? Do you people with garbage all over your yard, or with weeds or abandoned cars get the picture? Get with the program people!
Oh golly, I am sorry for your neighbor and her pet!! How horrible that must have been for her. I worry about that kind of thing.....especially with some of our neighbors. We have some who just plain refuse to bag their kitchen trash.....and then when the garbage truck comes, lots of it spills out onto the ground..Nice little tidbits for creatures to come eat!
I must say that yesterday the horrible high weeds on 25th and Pecan were cut down! Even most of the median was trimmed thank goodness!!
As for those few folks out there who just don't care, I don't know what you can do about that..Makes me wonder what the INSIDE of their homes is like!

“Hunting Terrorists!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#68 Jun 5, 2010
LandS wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't seem to get to the page you suggest........resend the URL please
I think the link broke when I pasted in Topix. If you go to facebook and in the Facebook search bar type in:

Alamoghetto

That will get you to the group page.
Grandma

Albuquerque, NM

#69 Jun 9, 2010
Old Bob wrote:
How about having a "Property Of The Week" photo contest as a regular feature of the ADN? Maybe we could start with the beautiful and exciting "Theme Park In The Making" on North Florida.
I've seen that place. What is it? What's the theme..rattlesnake world?
alamo senior

Valles Mines, MO

#70 Jun 11, 2010
Time to go to the Commissioners meeting and bombard them with these issues. If enough citizens get together and storm the meetings with code enforcement complaints, maybe something will be done about these trash pigs. This city is laced with junk yards. Again I say you should't have to look out your windows and see crap in the next door neighbor's yard.

Since: Mar 09

Alamogordo, NM

#71 Jun 18, 2010
PsychDaddy wrote:
What about the larger land owners? It's easier to keep your yard in tip top shape, it's smaller. What about someone who has a 10 to 20 acre tract. It can get very costly on larger tracts of ground and it might be an individual that doesn't have the money. A weedy tract of ground can cost $1,000 to $2,000 to get mowed. And then if that had an old piece of equipment on it, an eye sore, where do you make the man do with it. There's hard questions ahead.
Large land owners in city limits do not deserve special treatment. They had the money to buy the land...now they can clean it up like the rest of us tiny people.

Since: Mar 09

Alamogordo, NM

#72 Jun 18, 2010
Kpup wrote:
I have a larger lot and I called the city to ask about renting a dumpster so I could clean up the weeds. I was told I would have to buy my own dumpster.???!
I just moved here so I don't know all of the politics going on but why can't the city have clean up days where they provide x amount of dumpsters around the neighborhood so people have an apportunity to clean up.
Help me help you scenario.
Because they would rather spend money to city employees who sit in their vehicles(sleeping) for an hour and a half before clocking out.
Ol West

Santa Fe, NM

#73 Jun 18, 2010
This is the West, where private property and individual freedoms rule. Neighbors be danged.
joe not Joe

United States

#74 Jun 19, 2010
Ol West wrote:
This is the West, where private property and individual freedoms rule. Neighbors be danged.
I wish that was true>

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#75 Jun 20, 2010
I'm REAL tired of seeing graffiti everywhere; lightpoles, electrical boxes, benches, etc. I noticed that the new 9th St. bridge now has graffiti on it.
Clean one

Tarentum, PA

#76 Jun 21, 2010
Blight is a broad term.

What definition will be used?

Whose rules will be made to follow? Is Aaron Rance the expert or just the only one to sign up for commissioner and now he makes the crazy rules?

If old buildings are to be torn down, why not the old Walmart that is actually boarded up? Will they fight the big corporation or just the little guys they can intimidate?

Will they go after the old bar on the northeast corner of 10th and White Sands?

This may sound lovely but it is full of varying definitions and opinions of what is BLIGHT.

They should stick to picking up trash in the streets and cutting weeds, something measureable.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#77 Jun 21, 2010
Clean one wrote:
Blight is a broad term.
What definition will be used?
Whose rules will be made to follow? Is Aaron Rance the expert or just the only one to sign up for commissioner and now he makes the crazy rules?
If old buildings are to be torn down, why not the old Walmart that is actually boarded up? Will they fight the big corporation or just the little guys they can intimidate?
Will they go after the old bar on the northeast corner of 10th and White Sands?
This may sound lovely but it is full of varying definitions and opinions of what is BLIGHT.
They should stick to picking up trash in the streets and cutting weeds, something measureable.
The old Wal-Mart is FULL of asbestos. That is why it has never been resold or demolished.
Alamogordo Concerned

Montgomery, AL

#79 Jun 22, 2010
Has anyone heard some company has plans to build a communications tower to be over 100 feet behind the Goodwill? Talk about blight!! A communications tower bacically in the middle of town and in a residential area. I have never seen a tower in the middle of residential areas in other cities. They are either in at the edge of town or commercial/industrial areas. They will obstruct the beautiful view of the mountains, Lone Ridge and The Sleeping Lady. I hope the city does not let this happen.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#80 Jun 22, 2010
Alamogordo Concerned wrote:
Has anyone heard some company has plans to build a communications tower to be over 100 feet behind the Goodwill? Talk about blight!! A communications tower bacically in the middle of town and in a residential area. I have never seen a tower in the middle of residential areas in other cities. They are either in at the edge of town or commercial/industrial areas. They will obstruct the beautiful view of the mountains, Lone Ridge and The Sleeping Lady. I hope the city does not let this happen.
Where did you get your information from? There's only one empty lot behind Goodwill and it belongs to Mr. Overstreet. He's keeping that land to possibly build a new TKD academy on someday.
Alamogordo Concerned

Montgomery, AL

#81 Jun 22, 2010
One of my friends who lives in the area, that at the corner of 12th and Fillmore, they had plans to build a communicastions tower at the southeast corner of the intersection. It is supposed to be over 100 feet high. If you drive by you can see the stakes, comm/electrical/gas and water markings on the road or on the plot. Hopefully, the City Commission/PUB will reject this offer. I would feel sorry for home owners who live in that area. Eyesore, safety, interference with telephone/cell and home, computer, television/satellite and other concerns.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#82 Jun 22, 2010
Alamogordo Concerned wrote:
One of my friends who lives in the area, that at the corner of 12th and Fillmore, they had plans to build a communicastions tower at the southeast corner of the intersection. It is supposed to be over 100 feet high. If you drive by you can see the stakes, comm/electrical/gas and water markings on the road or on the plot. Hopefully, the City Commission/PUB will reject this offer. I would feel sorry for home owners who live in that area. Eyesore, safety, interference with telephone/cell and home, computer, television/satellite and other concerns.
Tell your friend that they should attend the city commission meetings to fight this tower if that's what they're planning.
Alamogordo Concerned

Montgomery, AL

#83 Jun 23, 2010
Found out yesterday from a very reliable source, this tower they are supposed to build, the fencing is supposed to 10 ft high with concertina razor wire on top. This is very dangerous around a residential area and a block from Chaparral Jr Hi. And everyone knows how mischievous most of the teens are around this city. The city is just asking for trouble, money wise, if you know what I mean, if someone gets injured.
MrNoName

Alamogordo, NM

#84 Jun 23, 2010
Race cars in the yard, and dirt where grass once was.

Sounds like you're just intolerant of anyone that doesn't have a yard similar to your own.

Keeping an actual grass lawn in this part of the country requires a lot of work, and a lot of water.

Landscaping with rock would be nice, but that can become expensive when it comes to laying down a weed block first.

As for cars in the yard, yes, they should be in a driveway or backyard. But if you're saying they should be gone entirely, or that people shouldn't be allowed to work on there own vehicle at home, then I have no sympathy for you.

A yard should be neat and orderly, but a lot of the comments I see on here sound like the only acceptable appearance is to have the whole town look like a golf course or retirement villa.

To me, there is no difference between having a project car sitting in the yard, and having a pool or spa in it. Both are recreational activities, and both will occassionally cause some noise and disturbance to the neighbors.
LandS wrote:
Amen, alamo senior. To John Galt, I understand what you are saying as well. I saw Code give a red tag to a person with some weeds, but the house next door had a darn jungle and got nothing.....
We have a slob living on the corner who have turned what was once a beautiful lawn into what appears to be a garage. Race cars, dirt where grass was, just plain disgusting. What do we have to do to make some folks clean it up? Just drive down Pecan and you will see it.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New evidence that global warming is BS (Nov '09) 1 hr Land Locked Sailor 7,694
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 2 hr WhyDat 6,243
Iran dead line is a lie 2 hr Ralph 1
News Residents complain about Holloman sonic booms (Feb '12) 2 hr Land Locked Sailor 274
Potter House Haters (May '12) 2 hr David Huebner 380
A theory emerges 7 hr Mr T 14
News Animal Village fiesta (Nov '11) 7 hr Mr T 38

Fire Weather Watch for Otero County was issued at March 31 at 1:26PM MDT

Alamogordo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Alamogordo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]