First Prev
of 22
Next Last
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#1 Aug 21, 2008
I just found out an aquaintance of mine had surgery at GCRMC that went all wrong. I hear so many horror stories about this hospital. Why are they not being held accountable? Why is no one doing a story on this place? Just because we are a small, fairly isolated community doesn't mean we don't deserve decent health care. And a lot of military folks don't have a choice since GCRMC is contracted with TriCare. I, for one, would like to know exactly how bad it is.
heyday

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Aug 21, 2008
Its pretty bad,alot of people go to Cruces or El Paso.Even Ruidoso for surgery! I would never go to the ER here either!

“Valkyrie”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#4 Aug 21, 2008
I have heard bad stories also but every experience my family has had with them has been great. I think a lot of the care you get, whether it is good or bad, depends on who the doctors/surgeons are.

“Valkyrie”

Alamogordo

#5 Aug 21, 2008
alamoairforce wrote:
So how did it go all wrong? You will hear a ton of horror stories from people about the hospital. I have lived in alamo since 1994 and have never had trouble with the hospital even back when it was on first street. Again this is just me and i am sure you will hear all the different versions of stories but most are not based on fact but rather opinion.
It was on 10th St. and I was born in that hospital and so was my son right before they moved to Scenic.
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#6 Aug 21, 2008
alamoairforce wrote:
So how did it go all wrong? You will hear a ton of horror stories from people about the hospital. I have lived in alamo since 1994 and have never had trouble with the hospital even back when it was on first street. Again this is just me and i am sure you will hear all the different versions of stories but most are not based on fact but rather opinion.
Okay, this is coming third hand... But he went in for heart surgery and is now paralyzed.
New Kid in Town

Montgomery, AL

#7 Aug 21, 2008
I would rather be air-lifted out of here than to even have one person on the GCRMC staff touch me!

I watched them almost kill someone. Her lung collapsed and she was bleeding internally and they told her to make an appointment with her pulmonologist who was on vacation. Luckily, she called the doctors office and they flew her out of Alamogordo.
heyday

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Aug 21, 2008
didnt think they do heart surgery here????

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Montgomery, AL

#9 Aug 21, 2008
I had a friend call me several months back, to pick them up at the hospital. He was in the emergency, in one of the rooms. The first time I have seen a reception desk/dr. area that was closed off and walled in in glass.
Did you know that this place is designated as a Trauma Center?
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#10 Aug 21, 2008
heyday wrote:
didnt think they do heart surgery here????
Neither did I. I was told they send folks out of town for that. It especially worries me since my mom had heart problems and she visits here frequently.
heyday

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Aug 21, 2008
I have been in the ER several times and the reception desk was Curtained off and people didnt know where to check in and even became paniky.(after hours)I think someone is always there during the day.??Budget problems??
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#15 Aug 21, 2008
alamoairforce wrote:
If the people in this town would stop using the emrgency room for the sniffles about 80 percent of the time maybe things would be taken a bit more seriously. If you have that big an emergency and feel the need to get panicky go pound on the ambulance bay doors. They will let you in. You get what you settle for just because one doctor says that is what you need to do get a second opinion from another docotor better yet do some personel research before you see a doctor. In my opinion it is your health some people just settle like i said and do not take it very seriously.
<quoted text>
I don't think that has anything to do with lousy health care. Yes, get more than one opinion. But if you have to have the care it should be good care. I know a lot of people, myself included, who would rather suffer for an hour and a half and go to Cruces or somewhere for care. When my son split his lip I decided it was safer to let it heal on its own rather than risk having an ER doc stitch it up (it was a holiday and everything else was closed). From everything I've heard, the chances of a screw up at this hospital way out-do the national average -- or so it seems.
heyday

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Aug 21, 2008
One of the PANIKY persons had a compound fracture from a atv accident! Who the heck would not get anxious when noone in the ER is to be found!??? I sgree there are MANY who use the ER for sniffles and such,,,,But when a TRUE emmergency happens there should be someone around!

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Montgomery, AL

#18 Aug 21, 2008
A friends wife works at GCRMC. When her time came for her baby she had to go somewhere else. The care, from what I undrestand was better. I sure am glad I don't have to worry about delivering in this town, unless I have a good midwife
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#19 Aug 21, 2008
alamoairforce wrote:
While it may not have anything to with decent health care it does indeed have everything to do with the urgency that they react to you with. I have never had an issues ever with the hospital maybe they treat military members better there, i have no idea but i personally have never had any trouble with them.
<quoted text>
The first part of the hypocratic oath is to "do no harm". It doesn't matter why you are there. I agree, some people abuse the ER system. On the other hand, this friend of mine was there for scheduled surgery. It had nothing to do with the ER. Another friend told a horror story where they told her to say good-bye because her father was going to die. She took him to LC and he is doing fine now. This was over two years ago. I even spoke to a nurse who worked there who said she wouldn't take her kids there.

“Valkyrie”

Alamogordo

#21 Aug 21, 2008
Leprachan wrote:
A friends wife works at GCRMC. When her time came for her baby she had to go somewhere else. The care, from what I undrestand was better. I sure am glad I don't have to worry about delivering in this town, unless I have a good midwife
Again, it all depends on who your doctor is. I had Dr. Weinrich and he was wonderful.
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#24 Aug 21, 2008
alamoairforce wrote:
Sorry for the trouble you have had i am just saying in my time in alamo which goes back to 1994 i have never ever once had any trouble with the hospital.
<quoted text>
I don't think everyone is going to have a problem. I haven't yet. The whole idea behind this topic is that there are an inordinate number of folks who have and that nothing is done about it.
Holistic Healer

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Aug 21, 2008
They don't call it "practicing medicine" for nothing. Personally, I don't want anyone "practicing" on me.
wonderer wrote:
I just found out an aquaintance of mine had surgery at GCRMC that went all wrong. I hear so many horror stories about this hospital. Why are they not being held accountable? Why is no one doing a story on this place? Just because we are a small, fairly isolated community doesn't mean we don't deserve decent health care. And a lot of military folks don't have a choice since GCRMC is contracted with TriCare. I, for one, would like to know exactly how bad it is.
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#26 Aug 21, 2008
Holistic Healer wrote:
They don't call it "practicing medicine" for nothing. Personally, I don't want anyone "practicing" on me.
<quoted text>
LOL! Kind of scary, huh? Hopefully, most of the practice was done in med school on dummies.

“Valkyrie”

Alamogordo

#27 Aug 21, 2008
heyday wrote:
One of the PANIKY persons had a compound fracture from a atv accident! Who the heck would not get anxious when noone in the ER is to be found!??? I sgree there are MANY who use the ER for sniffles and such,,,,But when a TRUE emmergency happens there should be someone around!
They were calm enough to ride to the hospital without taking an ambulance?? That makes no sense.
wonderer

Montgomery, AL

#28 Aug 21, 2008
PinkFloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
They were calm enough to ride to the hospital without taking an ambulance?? That makes no sense.
A lot of people prefer to drive an injured person to the hospital rather than wait around for an ambulance. It's not a smart idea, but sometimes it is faster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
B.O.'s hero is a deserter. 49 min Ralph 1
In God We Trust 51 min Ralph 36
What cold/virus is going around? 53 min Ralph 11
B.O. and the Catholic church 54 min Ralph 13
Tea Party news 56 min Ralph 55
Egypt taking the lead. 57 min Ralph 12
Joan Rivers on Obama 59 min Ralph 5
Alamogordo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web