Alamogordo Mayor Susie Galea's Weekly...

Alamogordo Mayor Susie Galea's Weekly Video Message

Posted in the Alamogordo Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alamogordo

Alamogordo, NM

#1 Dec 14, 2012
Our mayor's latest weekly video message for those interested.

http://www.alamogordolive.net/mayors-minute.h...
Loyal Dem

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Dec 14, 2012
Please wrote:
<quoted text>stop this garbage. Nobody cares about her stupid message and hidden agenda. She is the worse Mayor this city has ever seen. What a joke.
NOT SO!! Mayor Galea is truly a breath of fresh air. She is out in the community attending events and meetings, getting to know the people and the issues. She does her homework - as evidenced by the way she responds to questions and conducts the City Commission meetings. She is smart, energetic and CARES about our city. Her messages in the Mayor's Minutes are typically about events going on in and around Alamogordo - letting people know what great entertainment we have here. She was instrumental in finding and employing a terrific interim City Manager who has done an incredible job getting DPS back on track and filling some of the vacant, important positions within the city government.
Just what are your expectations and what is it she has neglected to do thus far????? We are very fortunate to have the city staff and officials that we have.... as far as I can tell, Alamogordo is tracking pretty well! If you have some solid, credible suggestions, you should make them known. From what I've observed, the city and our mayor are eager to listen and improve our city.
Go Susie Go

Alamogordo, NM

#7 Dec 14, 2012
Inauguration video of the our new Western Baking factory by local and state dignitaries including the Honorable Governor Martinez as well as our esteemed mayor Susie Galea.

Goon Squad

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Dec 14, 2012
Steamed mayor wrote:
How was DPS off track? What did she do to put them back on track. Has crime fallen since she put them back on track? Is morale better. Is pay for the Cops better? Is the good old boy system gone? Do outside agencies still sit on our promotion boards and determine who gets promoted and who doesn't, people who have no idea about Police work. Please explain your assinine comment. I am waiting please hurry, I have to work the night shift tonight.
Can you answer any of this from the officer?
You sound like an ignoramus crybaby !!! Grow a pair will ya and if you're implying that you're an DPS cop then that's PATHETIC !!!
Loyal Dem

Alamogordo, NM

#12 Dec 14, 2012
DPS wrote:
How was DPS off track? What did she do to put them back on track. Has crime fallen since she put them back on track? Is morale better. Is pay for the Cops better? Is the good old boy system gone? Do outside agencies still sit on our promotion boards and determine who gets promoted and who doesn't, people who have no idea about Police work. Please explain your assinine comment. I am waiting please hurry, I have to work the night shift tonight.
Hmm...let's see: within the last few months the public perception of our police department was somewhat 'tarnished' by the retirement of the previous police chief at about the same time the 'report' was released to the ADN by the city. The mayor, in conjunction with the city manager, knew that public perception needed to be more positive and had important commendations awarded publicly (during a commission meeting), made some integral internal promotions - changing 'acting' roles to permanent ones - and will shortly be announcing the hiring of a new director of DPS. There has been a concerted effort to implement some necessary training and a serious focus has been put on re-acquiring accreditation for the department. Morale is better and internal comments about leadership, management, etc, has improved. The changes may not directly or immediately affect crime statistics but the officers admit to feeling better about their jobs. Community involvement in policing is being emphasized and eventually the crime statistics will reflect the renewed positivitiy. A happy, cohesive department can only result in positive results.
I don't know who you are or what your story is but you sound very disgruntled. If, indeed, you are affiliated with DPS, you need an attitude adjustment. You either need to buy in to the philosophy and make things better or move on. I have a feeling they'd be better off without you.
Chartruse

United States

#13 Dec 14, 2012
Mayor Galea is truly a breath of fresh air.
Loyal Dem

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Dec 15, 2012
Night shift wrote:
<quoted text>HMMM lets deal with facts, this ignorant Mayor has no prior Law Enforcement experience. The report wasn't released until public pressure was applied to the dumb ass mayor. Commendations are a routine event for every Police Department nation wide. Promotions are a yearly event due to attrition conducted by every department nation wide. What do you want to bet that the new Director comes from outside the city? The departement has not lost it's credit as you put it. Community Policing is the priority of every department in the United States. Morale has not improved as I see it EVERY DAY. This stupid mayor knows as much about Police work as you do and that is absolutely NOTHING! You are a JOKE give it up. The mayor is an idiot. End of story!
I'm going to give you the 'benefit of the doubt' and assume you were tired when you responded to my post. First of all, since when does a mayor have to have law enforcement experience? As mayor, she insures that the people in charge have the skills required to run the departments. Alamogordo is fortunate to have smart, skilled, experienced law enforcement managers.

Have you reviewed the 'report'? It is an opinionated, subjective review of DPS management. The City held it back because there was no director in place who could begin addressing the issues described in the report. If you'll recall, once it was released, the ADN star reporter wrote one very weak story about the 'report' because there really wasn't anything in it that anyone would care about. So much for what you're calling 'public pressure'.

Promotions may be a yearly event but the City Manager chose to do the recent promotions in a very positive, public formu to ensure that our community recognizes the excellent work our police force does. Commendations were made at the City Commission meeting and the promotion ceremony was open to the public. Both events were well-attended and appreciated.

I can see that your morale is in the toilet. That is unfortunate. Why don't you get with your supervisor and see if there is something you can do to improve your morale? A vacation? A change in assignment? Disgruntled, unhappy police personnel are a detriment to community safety. A community that trusts it's police force is more likely to cooperate with the police. Please get some help. You're probably making everyone around you miserable - and, think about it, eroding the confidence of the public that you took a vow to serve. I really do wish you well.(you'd be better off stopping all the name-calling, too. It really doesn't reflect well on the police (assuming once again that you might be affiliated with them:)
what

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Dec 16, 2012
DPS wrote:
DPS is a joke.They are still being investigated.I know there are detectives there like Schoolcraft and Jackson who should not be there because of Schoolcrafts court records and Jacksons drug dealing sister
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Dec 16, 2012
DPS wrote:
I'm not trying to influence you or your prejudices or your lack of knowledge of the City of Alamogordo and how it works. You can stay as ignorant as you will.

Alamogordo has a Council-manager government form of government (called Commission/Manager in New Mexico). There are seven city commissioners, each elected from a district within the city, on staggered 4-year terms. The city manager is considered the chief executive officer of the city and is tasked to enforce and implement the City Council's directives and policy. The mayor is a member of the City Council.

I think that the Police and the Sheriff's departments should be watched by an oversight committee consisting of civilian community members similar to the one in Albuquerque, only better.

nan

Alamogordo, NM

#21 Dec 16, 2012
Night shift wrote:
<quoted text>HMMM lets deal with facts, this ignorant Mayor has no prior Law Enforcement experience. The report wasn't released until public pressure was applied to the dumb ass mayor. Commendations are a routine event for every Police Department nation wide. Promotions are a yearly event due to attrition conducted by every department nation wide. What do you want to bet that the new Director comes from outside the city? The departement has not lost it's credit as you put it. Community Policing is the priority of every department in the United States. Morale has not improved as I see it EVERY DAY. This stupid mayor knows as much about Police work as you do and that is absolutely NOTHING! You are a JOKE give it up. The mayor is an idiot. End of story!
The Mayor is learning as she goes with the help of those around her, she has no background for being qualified to be the Mayor of this town. Go back and read her background that told about her. She should have stayed in her child care or related work. The credentials never mentioned a degree from what we read. It said, she wanted to be an accountant or something to that effect. She didn't know our State or our City and the people when she took position after only being in the area a very short time. There are plenty of others who care about NM and it's people and who know them who should have been Mayor. Makes us wonder about wht goes on around here. We don't give here all the credit that some do around here.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#23 Dec 16, 2012
Bad Mayor good girl wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely correct. She is not qualified. She may be a nice girl but she has no business in the position she is in. This city will suffer because of it. She is easily manipulated by those surrounding her. PATHETIC!
I don't know the woman well enough to comment about qualifications, or whether she was the ideal pick. Would you have perhaps preferred that Mr. Rosales instead, as the Mayor? I don't think so! LOL

Let's just for say that there was another, or a number of other more qualified candidates for the position. And that while they may have better experience with intimately knowing this town, and had perhaps other better qualifications, if those persons are not fully dedicated to their job, is that in any way better? Not really, is it?

Sometimes when someone doesn't know a certain thing-things in life, they try, and they try harder.

That's true with anything in life. That what you put in, is what you get out.

Such a job will have its high points, and low points, frustrations, obstacles to overcome. No one can take such a position, and be some immediate "do all".

How she handles such is dependent upon a number of qualities, integrity, persistance, morality. Those are just a few.

I think there's many that have been perhaps too quick to judge. I say let's give her a chance. She will no doubt be the best judge of whether her capabilities are sufficient to handle her position adequately.
Just Watching

Albuquerque, NM

#24 Dec 16, 2012
Of the other City Commissioners, who would be a better choice for Mayor? The Golfer, the city employee, the construction guy, the electrician, and now we have 2 un-elected commissioners. I think she's doing a pretty good job, she's out in the public, does a weekly internet report, she's on the radio, in the paper. When did you ever see Griggs do any of that. She's the Mayor not the City Manager.
Michael Johnson

Alamogordo, NM

#25 Dec 16, 2012
To the asinine poster on here who's been ranting and having hissy-fits about the current mayor ... well she has one vote as like any other of the seven commissioners as she has ''no veto powers'' as like the strong mayor form of city governments where i've lived before in Albuquerque and Jacksonville, Florida. Hell their mayors don't even sit with their city councils.

That being said i give her kudos for at least she's very accessible and goes to all the city events, functions, pupfish baseball games and numerous organizations all around town. She's definitely a HUGE cheerleader for this city as where the hell were all the other 'dead beat mayors in the past e.g. Griggs, Carroll etc.

She along with the other city comnmissioners just passed a comprehensive five year road rehabilitation plan to finally start rehabilitating our streets up to par as where the hell where the past mayors and city commissioners when it came our crappy roads?

So yeah i think that it's cool that she's posting her ''mayor minutes'' video's on youtube and if she decides to run again then she definitely will have my vote as again i'm impressed with her high energy and vitality.

Michael Johnson
Filipino Ave
Alamogordo
Nan is nerd

United States

#26 Dec 16, 2012
nan wrote:
<quoted text> The Mayor is learning as she goes with the help of those around her, she has no background for being qualified to be the Mayor of this town. Go back and read her background that told about her. She should have stayed in her child care or related work. The credentials never mentioned a degree from what we read. It said, she wanted to be an accountant or something to that effect. She didn't know our State or our City and the people when she took position after only being in the area a very short time. There are plenty of others who care about NM and it's people and who know them who should have been Mayor. Makes us wonder about wht goes on around here. We don't give here all the credit

that some do around here.
Go to FB and find page alamogordo mayor, Susie galea. It's not well updated but the mayor listed her experience. She has 9 years in accounting and a degree in accounting management. Notice how this mayor isn't funding projects over the city's budget? Yes, she owned and operated a small child care business. She probably knows how govt regulations are hurting business owners. She only has lived here a short time. I have grief about that. Shes lived in NM just 4 years! However, it could be a strength that she knows what works in others cities, has some connections, and isnt part of the local nasty politics that have kept this town from growth.
I think what drives the unknown, nonlocal mayor, is service to others - she loves people. You can see in her mayor videos that she doesn't play favorites or engage in class warfare. The people that don't like her must be the elitest. We have enough elitest in this city - certainly need a mayor that represents the majority though.
nan

Alamogordo, NM

#27 Dec 17, 2012
Information we read after she was elected said she wanted to get an accounting degree. Different media sources with different information.
nan

Alamogordo, NM

#28 Dec 17, 2012
An article of ADN 3-14-12 has an article on the Mayor and there is a quote of the Mayor saying that she doesn't have the knowledge or experience to be mayor, etc. read it for yourself. She is willing to learn is what it said. The public didn't write the article or comment in it. Certainly, a City should have people in position who are able to manage a City appropriately regardless of what City or County or State position it is. It shouldn't take a city extended time to hire key positions or bring in external employees who are working for an elected official and being paid big money to do the work that others should be doing locally. The people should have been voting for the Mayor position since long ago, and would have had it not been what it has been for that position with former Mayor Griggs and the commission.
nan

Alamogordo, NM

#29 Dec 17, 2012
When the Mayor first took office, she had a facebook page that was different than now, it had photos of her and her family and she had the information on her weight loss, and what she did about the child care, and other things. It had photos of when she was heavy. It's all polished up now, more business style, and not the same as when it was more casual and about personal things. So for that person who is name calling, there have been other facebook pages.
WAH

Alamogordo, NM

#30 Dec 17, 2012
nan wrote:
When the Mayor first took office, she had a facebook page that was different than now, it had photos of her and her family and she had the information on her weight loss, and what she did about the child care, and other things. It had photos of when she was heavy. It's all polished up now, more business style, and not the same as when it was more casual and about personal things. So for that person who is name calling, there have been other facebook pages.
Aren't you late for your daily post hating on sonic booms?
Go Alamo

Alamogordo, NM

#31 Dec 17, 2012
Here she is during the city commission meeting back on Nov 6, 2012 taped in its entirety by Alamogordolive.net . She presented an appreciation award to retiring city commissioner Ed Cole as well as his spouse and was very emotional during her presentation to them as i'm very impressed by her style so far !!

Watch

Surprise, AZ

#33 Dec 17, 2012
People should watch her conduct a commission meeting. She does the city proud. Did you know she doesn't pursue private sector work and gives full time to the city?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump made a deal 5 hr Dittoe 27
GOPís Latest Anti-Obamacare Bill Could Leave 21... 5 hr None 12
I Listened... 6 hr None 422
God Haters 6 hr Dittoe 25
Trump Blasts John McCain In The Wake Of His Emb... 6 hr Dittoe 8
Things you didn't know 6 hr Dittoe 61
Trumpís U.N. Speech 7 hr Dittoe 6
Biden says Enough 7 hr Ancient 37

Alamogordo Jobs

More from around the web