Woman: Mom was harassed over vote

ALBUQUERQUE A woman has filed a complaint claiming her 67-year-old mother was reduced to tears by a man who told her he was a private investigator with ties to the state Republican Party and questioned her ... Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Please

Edgewood, NM

#1 Oct 24, 2008
You know, I feel sorry for this woman if this really happened, but I'm really REALLY tired of conservatives/republicans being blamed for every single problem or incident that happens at voting time. If I'd wanted to, I could have claimed that I felt intimidated by the dozens of people lurking outside Walmart and Lowe's prior to Oct. 7 this year asking if I was "ready to vote in this HISTORIC election?"

You BET I'm ready to vote in this historic election. But I bet it's not historic for me for the same reasons as those who were soliciting registrations.

And I just have to wonder how many of those registrations were turned in if someone picked "republican" as their registered party?

I want to believe everything was honest and above suspicion with these "volunteers," but the investigations all over this country, including in Bernalillo County, make me wonder.

It sure would be nice for the press to cover some conservatives who have been harrassed once in a while. But then that wouldn't be in keeping with how things work in this country right now, would it?

Instead we've got tons of coverage of Marcia Stirman and her RIDICULOUS comments regarding muslims (which I guarantee you is the reason why her letter was so prominently displayed on this website), immediate assertions that the McCain volunteer in Pennsylvania was making up the attack on her person(which she may be, but could we investigate things before calling her story "bizarre and not credible?") and yet another story about how some big mean Republican (no one's even sure it WAS a Republican that spoke to this woman) tried to keep some poor old woman from voting.

But then I guess that's how it works in a society where everyone shares everything and those who work hard are expected to "share the wealth" with those who don't. Those who don't want to are made out to be villains and evil doers while those who have their hands in the pockets of others are compared to the second coming of Christ.(Think I'm kidding, read the Daily KOS)

Since: Jan 08

Alamogordo,,now

#2 Oct 24, 2008
Amen! This should never have happened.....I think something should be done about it.....however......This IS historic........so many folks voting now that never saw a voting booth in their lives..Share the wealth? Don't we do that already with our welfare programs?
I JUST WONDER

Gloucester, MA

#3 Oct 24, 2008
I bet she has already got her social secutity check even before she learned to speak english. Boy !!!!! welcome to America. PUSH 1 for spanish and push 2 for English.

Since: Jan 08

Alamogordo,,now

#4 Oct 24, 2008
I JUST WONDER wrote:
I bet she has already got her social secutity check even before she learned to speak english. Boy !!!!! welcome to America. PUSH 1 for spanish and push 2 for English.
You're probably right. It IS almost comical to me to see so many folks voting that I know have never voted in their life before. They are thinking in their minds that Obama is their savior......God help 'em.

“Best Quilter in Alamogordo”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#5 Oct 24, 2008
Well lets see.... Acorn has been committing voter fraud.....soneone from the Republican party is checking out all the voters registered by Acorn in New Mexico.....The guy was in the middle of checking this woman out when she stated she already voted......the guy left. Sounds like nothing was done wrong to me. Did someone explain to the woman why she was beening checked out? Now I'm curious how many of the names that were checked out, turned out to be bogas.
Melanie

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Oct 24, 2008
It sounds like intimidation to me and the people who sponsored this should be ashamed of themselves. It smacks a little of the deep south in the 1960's actually. My point, however, if this woman's name had been Brit Swenson who had immigrated from Norway and recently been made a citizen, no one would have ever questioned her validity to vote, would they?

“Time to get down to business”

Since: Jun 08

Alamogordo

#7 Oct 24, 2008
Deborah Goldberg wrote:
Well lets see.... Acorn has been committing voter fraud.....soneone from the Republican party is checking out all the voters registered by Acorn in New Mexico.....The guy was in the middle of checking this woman out when she stated she already voted......the guy left. Sounds like nothing was done wrong to me. Did someone explain to the woman why she was beening checked out? Now I'm curious how many of the names that were checked out, turned out to be bogas.
It should have been somebody not affiliated with either the Republican or Democratic party. They should also have been notified in advance.
gray matters

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 24, 2008
I just helped two older Hispanic people, who were newly registered, to figure out their absentee mail-in ballots yesterday. And earlier this year I registered a brand-new American citizen to vote. She brought her citizen certificate with her because she thought she needed it to get registered. I think it is outrageous that Republicans are deliberately trying to prevent people from voting.

And for those of you that have not been informed, the ACORN organization itself was the first to flag the registration forms they thought were fradulent, but in most states they are required to turn in the forms anyway. The registrations the Republicans are talking about and using to somehow cast blame were first discovered by ACORN administrators.
Bridge

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Oct 24, 2008
Shut up and push 3 for stupid!!!!
I JUST WONDER wrote:
I bet she has already got her social secutity check even before she learned to speak english. Boy !!!!! welcome to America. PUSH 1 for spanish and push 2 for English.

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, AL

#10 Oct 24, 2008
I JUST WONDER wrote:
I bet she has already got her social secutity check even before she learned to speak english. Boy !!!!! welcome to America. PUSH 1 for spanish and push 2 for English.
According to the article this older lady still does not speak English.
Why should all of the English speaking people have to push a button on their phone for English anyway??

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, AL

#11 Oct 24, 2008
Sorry this older lady was harassed and intimidated. That was totally wrong. Hope they find this low life that is doing this to these people.
Ron Jeske

United States

#12 Oct 24, 2008
The tactic described in the article is pure hate tactics at the worst and a Republican ploy to steal the election. Don't try to deny it, you would be wrong to do so.

As for LandS and I JUSY WONDER and the comments about Spanish or English, Shut Up. Your comments make ou look like real bigots. There but for the grace of god, you could be in the same place speaking some other language and not being understood and you wouldn't even be able to press a number for yours. I believe that English is the language of our land and would like everyone to speak it, but not everyone does or will. And among those people are some who are not Spanish.

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, AL

#13 Oct 24, 2008
gray matters wrote:
I just helped two older Hispanic people, who were newly registered, to figure out their absentee mail-in ballots yesterday. And earlier this year I registered a brand-new American citizen to vote. She brought her citizen certificate with her because she thought she needed it to get registered. I think it is outrageous that Republicans are deliberately trying to prevent people from voting.
And for those of you that have not been informed, the ACORN organization itself was the first to flag the registration forms they thought were fradulent, but in most states they are required to turn in the forms anyway. The registrations the Republicans are talking about and using to somehow cast blame were first discovered by ACORN administrators.
Why is everyone making this a party issue?? The democrats did it, no the republicans did it, no someone else did it.
Alamo Gordo

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 24, 2008
Has this country gone to the DOGS? What's wrong with you people!

“Best Quilter in Alamogordo”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#15 Oct 24, 2008
The election is less than two weeks away. I don't see anyone else checking up on these names that Acorn registered.
Justin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It should have been somebody not affiliated with either the Republican or Democratic party. They should also have been notified in advance.

“Time to get down to business”

Since: Jun 08

Alamogordo

#16 Oct 24, 2008
Deborah Goldberg wrote:
The election is less than two weeks away. I don't see anyone else checking up on these names that Acorn registered.
<quoted text>
If a person is voting for a Democrat, it can be a little intimidating if a Republican investigator comes in to question you.

“T-Warrior”

Since: Dec 07

El Paso Tx (Rochester NY)

#17 Oct 24, 2008
LandS wrote:
Amen! This should never have happened.....I think something should be done about it.....however......This IS historic........so many folks voting now that never saw a voting booth in their lives..Share the wealth? Don't we do that already with our welfare programs?
so many people voting mulitple times and places because acorn regesterd them unmerous times. I like the cartoon in the opinion page of the El Paso Times the other day, where this thug looking guy in an acorn t-shirt, is telling what looks like an 8 year old to regester 70 time, because Bush stole the last 2 elections and they couldn't let that happen again
Unknown

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Oct 24, 2008
You are correct in your assumptions. A non-partisan organization posted on the cnsnews website that a have found that Acorn and other such Liberal organizations have committed voter fraud and covered it up. Also, they did find that a few Republicans not in a orgaization have committed voter fraud. Although, this non-partisan organization has acknowledge that a higher percentage of voter fraud is being committed by the far-left than Republicans.
Deborah Goldberg wrote:
The election is less than two weeks away. I don't see anyone else checking up on these names that Acorn registered.
<quoted text>
deahgar in reverse

Montgomery, AL

#19 Oct 24, 2008
Ron Jeske wrote:
The tactic described in the article is pure hate tactics at the worst and a Republican ploy to steal the election. Don't try to deny it, you would be wrong to do so.
As for LandS and I JUSY WONDER and the comments about Spanish or English, Shut Up. Your comments make ou look like real bigots. There but for the grace of god, you could be in the same place speaking some other language and not being understood and you wouldn't even be able to press a number for yours. I believe that English is the language of our land and would like everyone to speak it, but not everyone does or will. And among those people are some who are not Spanish.
Kind of like all the damn phone calls I get from every Demecrat I will NEVER vote for. I am on the national DO NOT CALL register, but I guess the idiots at the demecratic headquarters can't figure that out. Wait until I get one on my cell phone.....then it'll be war.....

“I LOVE President Barack Obama”

Since: Dec 07

NWIllinois-now-High Rolls, NM

#20 Oct 24, 2008
Deborah Goldberg wrote:
Well lets see.... Acorn has been committing voter fraud.....soneone from the Republican party is checking out all the voters registered by Acorn in New Mexico.....The guy was in the middle of checking this woman out when she stated she already voted......the guy left. Sounds like nothing was done wrong to me. Did someone explain to the woman why she was beening checked out? Now I'm curious how many of the names that were checked out, turned out to be bogas.
McCain/Palin (and Republicans) have stopped talking about this ACORN issue because as it turns out. Republicans were mainly behind the scandal.

Fox News broke this story that:
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/20/repub...

Obama in fact has called for a special prosecuter to be appointed by Bush and Republicans, but they have failed to do so ...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/17/obama....

What are Republicans hiding? It's bad enough the main ACORN guy (the state chief) in CA turned out to be a REPUB. First Sarah Palin, then Marcia Stirman, now ACORN Republican fraud!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
137 Dead Children 1 hr Sickle 20
We will retaliate 9 hr HermanofLC 11
War Crimes Case Filed in Germany 12/19/14 10 hr reality 8
Covert Operations: the Koch Bros., Tea Party an... 11 hr Ralph Nampa 10
Socialism vs Racism 11 hr yes 35
B.O.has new name 11 hr yes 30
B.O. wants 48 million dollars 11 hr Gus V Inst 9
Alamogordo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Alamogordo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Alamogordo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Alamogordo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:36 pm PST

Bleacher Report11:36PM
Broncos Defense Shines in Week 17 Win over Raiders
Bleacher Report12:51 AM
Broncos Hitting Stride on Both Sides of the Ball Entering Playoffs
NBC Sports12:53 AM
Broncos whip Raiders 47-14 to earn first-round bye - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 3:40 AM
Bruce Arians "much more comfortable" with Ryan Lindley after second start
NFL 4:14 AM
Ryan Lindley has Bruce Arians confident in Cardiinals