Martinez promises to eliminate film subsidies, cuts in education 'bureaucracy'

Jan 10, 2011 Read more: Alamogordo Daily News 19
Gov. Susana Martinez today proposed cutting 1.5 percent from the education "bureaucracy," eliminating $25 million in yearly subsidies to the film industry and reducing funding for colleges and universities. Read more

Since: Oct 08

#1 Jan 10, 2011
works for me!

“I am so OVER Obama”

Since: Oct 09

Exile on Main Street

#2 Jan 10, 2011
does this mean that Griggs Film Industry Liasson Pork Barrel office downtown will lose state funding?

that works for me.
Dave

Cathedral City, CA

#3 Jan 10, 2011
So she's going to elminate a program (film subsidies) that brings far more money into the state than it costs the state. Can't wait to see all the other ways she's going to drive us all deeper into the hole.
MommaZ

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Jan 10, 2011
There is absolutely zero evidence the film industry has done anything for this state above what they take in subsidy. In fact, I believe the reports are we have not even broke even.
Slambo

United States

#5 Jan 10, 2011
Showboat Willie made deals with filmmakers hoping to get some cameo rolls in a few flicks and eventually to become CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America: http://undertheinfluence.nationaljournal.com/...

What a total moron.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#6 Jan 11, 2011
It's about time! Finally this state is back on the right track!
Good start

United States

#8 Jan 11, 2011
but I hope she has the guts to go after some of the entitlement programs and rein some of that in as well. It is amazing how many New Mexicans are receiving Medicaid or some type of public assistance. Though that are federally mandated programs, the states do have some control as well.
Lives in Alamogordo

Montgomery, AL

#9 Jan 11, 2011
Good! Next, cut out all the welfare in the income tax system.
whatever

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Jan 11, 2011
It amazes me that we continue to pour more money into a broken education system. I can think of no other institution that continually receives more funding year-to-year while at the same time producing dismal results year-to-year. Perhaps we should start targeting the top quintile of university students to enter the education profession. Because the bottom quintile are not getting the job done!!
Ari Gold

South Pasadena, CA

#12 Jan 11, 2011
Cool -- California needs more film industry revenue.
Nano Violin

United States

#13 Jan 11, 2011
whatever wrote:
It amazes me that we continue to pour more money into a broken education system. I can think of no other institution that continually receives more funding year-to-year while at the same time producing dismal results year-to-year. Perhaps we should start targeting the top quintile of university students to enter the education profession. Because the bottom quintile are not getting the job done!!

Whadda ya mean? Every single agency and bureau in state government has negative performance. Get real.
Carols scaly vajajay

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Jan 11, 2011
You are clueless and smelly, aren't you
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#17 Jan 12, 2011
Ari Gold wrote:
Cool -- California needs more film industry revenue.
You need more liberals and tax increases also!

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Since: Sep 08

Sangre De Cristos

#19 Jan 14, 2011
You people are really out of touch with what the film industry does for laborers in new mexico. First of all, the film union in NM has the same pay scales as LA. Second, the simplistic "break even" you are looking for doesn't easily lend itself, because of all the outside money coming into the state and being disbursed as oh, i dunno... payroll, for one. New mexican's being paid by interests from out of state so that they can do things like.... oh, pay their electric bills. buy groceries, pay their property taxes. And we have all heard the discussion about the impact on things like restaurants, hotels, gasoline... but you all don't want to hear that. The idea that the film industry is corrupt? How corrupt do you think politics is? You have this idealic dream that all corruption in politics will disappear if you kick the film industry out, but what's really going to happen is that thousands of New Mexicans will be put on public assistance.
Yeah, feel better about that. You will be paying my light bill instead of dreamworks paying my light bill. Thank you for that. Because now i will get a check, thanks to your generosity, for sitting on my but.
Oh, and if you think that there aren't state subsidies being funneled into oil and gas and mineral exploration? And agribusiness? You're hallucinating.
The film industry is at this point the 4th largest industry in the state. Minerals, agriculture and dairy, tourism, and film.
I got an idea, while were at it and since we seem to be so afraid of outside interests, lets outlaw the tourism industry. I don't like the way they drive and they annoy me with their irritating accents and foreign languages.

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Sangre De Cristos

#20 Jan 14, 2011
And of course you all realize this humming and hawing has already cost us (the state) a 50 million dollar project and the 100+ million dollar project that was going to be in the state for over a year is now on hold.

Nice! I'll just stay on unemployment longer, and since nObama extended my benefits? Heck. I might as well just stay home and join in on your choir, chorale, or chorus...

nObamas in! Martinez is in! and i'm getting PAIED!! YEA!

oh, and thank all of YOU for my generous benefit package. I think i'll take your state money and spend it in LA. You know. stay in a LA hotel, eat LA food, pay LA sales taxes... Just forward me my check and thank you all for it!
concerned

Montgomery, AL

#21 Jan 14, 2011
YOU GO JIMMY!
Saved me a bunch of writing. Some people are so aborbed by their own self-interests they refuse to look at any "big picture". I voted for Martinez but if she keeps working along the track she is on I will surely be one of those to regret it soon enough. She is already cutting out qualified appointees JUST because Richardson appointed them, and shes looking at what she can slam against the Spaceport program. The old addage, it gets worse before it gets better, seems to be coming into play by force here.

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Sangre De Cristos

#23 Jan 14, 2011
And after my hollywood vacation that you are paying for, i think i'll come home long enough to "apply" for a "job" in the same skill range as i have as a cinematographer, then i'll pack up my skis and coat and head to vail and spend all my public assistance money there on things like expensive condos, food, and booze.

Thanks you guys! You're great! And i haven't had an out of state vacation in YEARS!!

Sorry posas, sorry hotel albuquerque, sorry alsups... I'm going to be spending MY money elsewhere.
MommaZ

United States

#25 Jan 14, 2011
BarbLovesAnal wrote:
I don't think anyone wants to eliminate the film industry, or make it illegal. I think it's fair, though for them to pay their fair share of taxes.
They make money, like any other business. NM is a beautiful place. If they want to work here, they should play on the same level playing field as anyone else.
I don't feel too awfully bad for them when I hear about films making tens of millions at the box office.
I agree with what you said, but I REALLY hate your name. Hard to take you seriously....
JOBS

Placitas, NM

#26 Jan 15, 2011
Tax incentives for movie productions bad.

Taxes for Spaceport good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So you want to vaccinate my child sign here.. 4 min ManiacMartin 4
News City will give plaza building to county (Aug '12) 6 min ManiacMartin 26
News Alamogordo Police Department receives body cameras 12 min ManiacMartin 26
Alamogordo High School Sports 16 min ManiacMartin 9
Isis in Mexico 1 hr NM Parent 25
Canadian view 3 hr And 4
News Residents complain about Holloman sonic booms (Feb '12) 5 hr Stay current will ya 315
More from around the web

Alamogordo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]