FIRE WATCH: Overnight storms spark mu...

FIRE WATCH: Overnight storms spark multiple fires, crews pulled...

There are 10 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jun 18, 2008, titled FIRE WATCH: Overnight storms spark multiple fires, crews pulled.... In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

LAS CRUCES Thunderstorms across southwestern New Mexico Tuesday night sparked between 20 and 30 wildfires and 40 firefighters have been pulled off the Dripping Springs fire to battle the blazes, according to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

“Time to get down to business”

Since: Jun 08

Alamogordo

#1 Jun 18, 2008
I thought for sure we were going to get rain last night. It just passed us by thought. The lightning was beautiful to watch, unfortunately, it caused these fires.

“Valkyrie”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#2 Jun 18, 2008
Alamogordo needs to ban firework sales NOW. This is a liability issue.

Since: Jan 08

Alamogordo,,now

#3 Jun 18, 2008
PinkFloyd wrote:
Alamogordo needs to ban firework sales NOW. This is a liability issue.
You're right on this one, Pink!!!
I can see big problems if they don't ban..........
House of Critters

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 18, 2008
Maybe that's the plan for the housing shortage?
ladyastronomer

Sunspot, NM

#5 Jun 18, 2008
Just a heads up folks. I spent half the night searching for a so called lightning caused fire up here last night.(I volunteer with our Fire and EMS Department.) Scared the HELL out of us last night.

Rain dance with NO lightning WANTED.

Please keep us in your prayers.

“Valkyrie”

Alamogordo

#6 Jun 18, 2008
Praying for those monsoons with NO lightning for you all ladyastronomer.

Otero County

#7 Jun 18, 2008
ladyastronomer wrote:
Just a heads up folks. I spent half the night searching for a so called lightning caused fire up here last night.(I volunteer with our Fire and EMS Department.) Scared the HELL out of us last night.
Rain dance with NO lightning WANTED.
Please keep us in your prayers.
I hear that. The slury planes have been in the air most of the day but I've not heard where they are flying to. Any idea?
ladyastronomer

Sunspot, NM

#8 Jun 18, 2008
There is a 150 acre plus fire burning on the Otero Mesa on McGregor Range. That is besides the two fires west of Hope and the one east of Ruidoso. I just checked the Southwest Interagency website and now there is another fire west of Carlsbad. Oh, and I forgot about the fire started last night near Weed. Not sure of the status on that one though.

We're getting some thunder and lightning right now. So I have the pager on and ready.

If any of you ever report a fire from down below, please give the dispatcher the BEST description you can on where it might be located. The reports last night were that there was a fire just north of our tower telescope. We searched and searched and luckily found no fire. But for those of us that live up here, not only would a forest service burn our homes but it'd take out our jobs in one swift swoop.

Thanks for the prayers Pink.(Who says you're not positive?)

good night.

Otero County

#9 Jun 19, 2008
ladyastronomer wrote:
There is a 150 acre plus fire burning on the Otero Mesa on McGregor Range. That is besides the two fires west of Hope and the one east of Ruidoso. I just checked the Southwest Interagency website and now there is another fire west of Carlsbad. Oh, and I forgot about the fire started last night near Weed. Not sure of the status on that one though.
We're getting some thunder and lightning right now. So I have the pager on and ready.
If any of you ever report a fire from down below, please give the dispatcher the BEST description you can on where it might be located. The reports last night were that there was a fire just north of our tower telescope. We searched and searched and luckily found no fire. But for those of us that live up here, not only would a forest service burn our homes but it'd take out our jobs in one swift swoop.
Thanks for the prayers Pink.(Who says you're not positive?)
good night.
Ok, I'm guessing that the slury planes were headed to Carlsbad. I heard of the one on Otero Mesa but they were not on the right heading to hit that one.
hello

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Jun 19, 2008
my boyfriend was at the dripping springs fire and they just left for the church fire today by ruidoso. he said we have over 7 fires in our forest and i think 7 in the sacramento forest. Also the fire near pinon is around 8,000 acres.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Active Shooter. 15 min Sick of race card 27
what the obomination hath wrought 4 hr The Ralphmocker 11
Why Obama and Hillary must stop Donald Trump at... 8 hr Larry 12
Two shootings in alamo? 9 hr yukyuk 3
Tularosa PD car vandalized? Mon Hmmm 14
News 2 Alamogordo men accused of slashing tires Mon Vocab 9
New evidence that global warming is BS (Nov '09) Mon Gorky 7,885
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alamogordo Mortgages