No more Ding Dongs or Yoo Hoos?

Posted in the Alamogordo Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ralph

Mount Vernon, OH

#1 Nov 16, 2012
Hostess may declare bankruptcy over union strike and Obama care, IT HAS STARTED !
Rumsfeld

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#2 Nov 16, 2012
Rush Limbaugh: "Letting Hostess go bankrupt is a direct attack on my way of life, and I'm sure Michelle Obama is behind this!"
Layabout

Tularosa, NM

#3 Nov 16, 2012
Ralph wrote:
Hostess may declare bankruptcy over union strike and Obama care, IT HAS STARTED !
Your an idiot Ralph. They filed bankruptcy in January after the cost of pension benefits to those no longer contributing to the company brought them to their knees. What they are doing now is asking a bankruptcy court to allow them to sell their brands and liquidate.
Well

United States

#4 Nov 16, 2012
Denny's & Papa John's will be cutting employee hours and adding surcharges because of Obamacare.
Happy Lib

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Nov 16, 2012
No more GOP either, they are going the way of the TWINKIE. At one time they tasted good because they could be tolerated but then we figured out that they are just bad for the body, just like the GOP, bye, bye GOP. Thank you Jesus, thank you.
Layabout

Tularosa, NM

#6 Nov 16, 2012
Well wrote:
Denny's & Papa John's will be cutting employee hours and adding surcharges because of Obamacare.
http://www.dennys.com/files/Statement_from_Jo...
WARRIOR

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#8 Nov 16, 2012
Rumsfeld wrote:
Rush Limbaugh: "Letting Hostess go bankrupt is a direct attack on my way of life, and I'm sure Michelle Obama is behind this!"
that Oxy and those fat doobies will do that.
Layabout

Tularosa, NM

#9 Nov 16, 2012
I think wrote:
<quoted text>YOU should look more closely:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/hostess-...
"The national strike by members of the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) that began last week"
Seems the strike started right around election time. They had EVERYTHING done until a bakery union REFUSED to re-work their portion of the agreement.
And the kicker is, that the smaller union bosses will STILL get paid while 18.5K regular workers are now jobless right at the holiday season!
You should read what I wrote instead or tangenting off. Try this.

Privately held Hostess filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2012/11/1...

Paying people not to work brought them to their knees. The unions just gave them a nudge over. It is an unsustainable model - pensions. Didn't work in the USSR or Europe and it isn't going to work for our government any more than it did for this company.
Durp Herpman

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Nov 17, 2012
Blaming the unions that built and sustains a middle class on a living wage. Most of your labor laws that protect you are because of unions.

Why do you blame unions? Because you are a bunch of sell out cowards that sold your jobs overseas to people making pennies a day and corporations up 300% in profits. You gonna compete in that labor market you ffucking fools. Cry if you must, because you will, but keep your stupid where nobody can see it.
just readin

Alamogordo, NM

#11 Nov 17, 2012
with the endless name calling that goes on here, this site name should be changed from forum too romper room
Ralph

Mount Vernon, OH

#12 Nov 17, 2012
Durp Herpman wrote:
Blaming the unions that built and sustains a middle class on a living wage. Most of your labor laws that protect you are because of unions.
Why do you blame unions? Because you are a bunch of sell out cowards that sold your jobs overseas to people making pennies a day and corporations up 300% in profits. You gonna compete in that labor market you ffucking fools. Cry if you must, because you will, but keep your stupid where nobody can see it.
Hostess says they may sell their company to China, hows that for the union stepping up. You might want a Twinkie made in China but you will never know what is in them. The reason for the company going bankrupt is the union strike that crippled the company, how is that looking out for you. At one time the union was a good thing but no more, higher wages and more benefits plus corruption shows what the union is today. You are a member of the workers party -Communism.
just readin

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Nov 17, 2012
Did ya ever think it might also just simply be share holder member greed . Like Cathy Lee making clothes in Mexican sweat shops. Capitalism like everything else has a sweet and a bitter.
A lot of the building boom took place because of generational transition. The younger, newer breed just didn't want to do what dad and grand dad used to do.
You really aught to consider that life might just be a little more complex than any one of us can imagine.
Or.......you can just continue being, a legend in your own mind. Your call.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Nov 17, 2012
It wasn't the union that killed the Twinkie. It was vulture capitalism.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Nov 17, 2012
Before you go blaming the union for Hostess' demise, look at the facts.

In 1995 a company called International Bakeries, which was essentially a vulture capital arm of a computer company called Data Processing Financial and General Corporation, went on a massive spending spree. They not only bought Hostess but the San Francisco French Bread Company, John J. Nissen Baking Company, Drake's, My Bread Company, and tons of other companies.

They did this by borrowing like batshit crazy and eventually defaulted on their loans, leading to bankruptcy in 2004.

In 2009 they emerged from bankruptcy by BORROWING MORE FRIGGING MONEY. They borrowed from Ripplewood Holdings, Silver Point, Monarch, and GE Capital. All these loans caused more payments and more interest accruing, leading to more and more debt. It was this debt that caused their collapse.

If it hadn't been for easy credit, merger mania, leveraged buyouts, and greedy conglomerates whose philosophy was "if you can't beat them buy them out," then all the little brands (including Hostess) that this group of predators bought with borrowed money might still be small and innovative enough to survive financial hard times with little or no debt of their own.

So always remember: it wasn't the unions that killed the Twinkie, it was the modern vulture capitalist culture.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021832...
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Nov 17, 2012
Capitalism = vulture culture

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

#18 Nov 17, 2012
Poor Gorky......The Bakers union refused to come to an agreement on concessions, that caused the strike, that caused Hostess to do what they promised to do which was shut down, Plain and simple, The Teampsters did not go on strike.

Unions have outlived there needs in America.

Unions have not produced a modern company that is profitable in America.

Join a union, go on strike, lose your job, collect Obama unemployment
Layabout

Tularosa, NM

#21 Nov 17, 2012
Arent facts wrote:
pesky little reminders of how ignorant and hateful the Liberal socialists really are:
Richard Trumka blamed the company's apparently imminent demise on "Bain-style Wall Street vultures." He wants everyone to believe that it's greedy, eeeevil Republican private-equity types who are on the brink of putting yet another company out of business. The "clever" framing of that quoted phrase appears to indicate that Trumka already knew better. It seems very likely that Cirilli also knew better. Three hours before the initial time stamp of Cirilli's report, Zero Hedge re-exposed the heavy involvement of D-D-D-Democrats in Hostess's management and advisors originally documented way back in july at CNNMoney by David Kaplan
And here comes the Hostess twist: because Tim Collins of Ripplewood, was a prominent Democrat, a position which allowed him to get involved in the first bankruptcy process in the first place, due to his proximity with the Teamsters' long-term heartthrob Dick Gephardt (whose consulting group just happens to also be an equity owner of Hostess).
In other words, the traditional republican-cum-PE scapegoating strategy here will be a tough one to pull off since the narrative collapses when considering that it was a Democrat who rescued the firm, only to see it implode in a trainwreck that has resulted in the liquidation of a legendary brand, and 18,500 layoffs.
But it only gets better. Because the full cast of characters involved here is quite stunning, as David Kaplan summarized so well recently:
Ripplewood is run by Tim Collins, 55, who's been at the center of other famed PE transactions. Known as a brilliant capitalist-philanthropist-netw orker, he's an eclectic character: a Democrat in an industry of Republicans ...
Ripplewood's foray into Hostess was partly enabled by Collins's connections in the Democratic Party. He wanted to explore deals with union-involved companies and sought the help of former congressman (Dick) Gephardt, who in 2005 founded the Gephardt Group, an Atlanta consulting firm that provides "labor advisory services." In his 2004 presidential bid, Gephardt -- whose father was a Teamsters milk truck driver -- was endorsed by 21 of the largest U.S. labor unions; in 2003, Collins was one of 19 "founding members" of Gephardt's New York State leadership committee.
Damn, that's gotta sting a little
If you follow the bankruptcy from here on you will see how the venture capital companies that own this loot the pension fund to get their profit after bankrupting the company 11 months ago. The Bain model if you will.
Idiot Ralph

Alamogordo, NM

#22 Nov 17, 2012
Ralph from Ohio, you are such an ignorant idiot. Yoo Hoo is in no way related to Hostess products. Yoo Hoo is a chocalate drink. Try getting your facts straight next time. But then, look who I'm talking to...someone who NEVER gets the facts straight and only makes up lies to further his revisionist agenda.
WARRIOR

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#23 Nov 17, 2012
Ralph you say we won't have twinkies and yoo hoos anymore. does that mean you are leaving the country?

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#25 Nov 17, 2012
Idiot Ralph wrote:
Ralph from Ohio, you are such an ignorant idiot. Yoo Hoo is in no way related to Hostess products. Yoo Hoo is a chocalate drink. Try getting your facts straight next time. But then, look who I'm talking to...someone who NEVER gets the facts straight and only makes up lies to further his revisionist agenda.
He probably meant Hohos which is a Hostess product.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamogordo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 3 hr justice is just a... 6,206
Nothing to do with Islam 3 hr Sick of race card 98
Could it be that Obama suffers from Dunning-Kru... 8 hr Sick of race card 24
The Saudi Connection: Hijackers and ISIS 8 hr Yvonne in HB 1
2 States in middle America 10 hr Read 5
VoteVets dot Org 10 hr Nope 28
Tax Cheats 10 hr Sick of race card 46
Alamogordo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Alamogordo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 am PST

NBC Sports 3:16AM
Report: Broncos reach out to Wade Phillips with defensive coordinator needed
NBC Sports 4:09 AM
Bears add two more assistants
Bleacher Report 6:03 AM
Is Balance of Power Shifting in AFC West?
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 7:42 AM
Kubiak the Right Coach, with or Without Peyton