Our View: Three for San Gabriel

Our View: Three for San Gabriel

There are 42 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Feb 25, 2009, titled Our View: Three for San Gabriel. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

SAN Gabriel has in recent years been having growing pains - but growing pains are good, especially considering the alternatives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mom at Home

AOL

#1 Feb 26, 2009
Great choices for San Gabriel. All 3 are hard working councilmen. When did Supersized Mario pop up? Never done a thing except play golf at the country club? Duh. Didn't even get a name mention by the paper. For once the StarNews got everything right.
San Gabriel Voter

San Marino, CA

#2 Feb 26, 2009
Just ask any of your neighbors how they feel about the very obvious deteriorization of San Gabriel! Nothing of any great value has been done--the Comprehensive General Plan is just gathering dust while the roads and signs crumble, traffic is a nightmare, and businesses are fleeing the city. Mario De La Torre is responding to the constantly expressed concerns of people like my family and naighbors about the fact that the City Council, for the most part, does nothing! Meetings are over in an hour; Redevelopment meetings are adjourned, and now more than ever, with cities competing for fewer and fewer dollars from the State and Federal government, we need someone who is willing to work! Business as usual is over! Wake up!
Obviously the Star News didn't drive around the city or talk to residents who are sick of "business as usual". The incumbents have not been responsive--the article even says so: "some of its streets are in terrible shape; there is a large commercial vacancy rate on San Gabriel Boulevard" --Valley Blvd. may be thriving but it is not because the incumbents are going around seeking Asian businesses! Like attracts like--duh! There isn't even a Starbucks in town and they are ubiquitous everywhere! What about the non-Asian population? They are all taking their dollars and spending them in neighboring cities. Since when is it a crime to play golf? Sounds like class envy to me! Get over it! For the sake of San Gabriel's future, the city needs someone willing to stop spinning wheels and do something--and that is Mario De La Torre!
Mom at Home

AOL

#3 Feb 27, 2009
"San Gabriel Voter" has obviously not done his/her homework. Your neighbors may prefer Delatorrez but mine do not. The countryclub golf course is not a training ground for running a city and money should not be able to buy an election.
San Gabriel doesn't need elitism in city hall.
Fellow Golfer

AOL

#4 Feb 27, 2009
The SG race makes me laugh. I know Mario and he brings absolutely nothing to the political table at City Hall. Pleasant man but not a leader. Biggest drawback is his connections to the politicals in Montebello. Plays a nice round of golf and always enjoyable at the 19th hole. He needs to stick to golf.
San Gabriel Resident

AOL

#5 Feb 27, 2009
How can someone who lives in Arcadia be "San Gabriel Voter"?
I am proud to say that my household of 5 will cast their San Gabriel residents votes for the incumbents - Baldwin, Gutierrez and Sawkins.
Douglas R

Alhambra, CA

#6 Mar 1, 2009
Met Mario Delatorre a week or so ago as he was knocking on doors. Has no qualifications and no clue as to how the city is run. Can't believe anyone would vote for this guy. Sorry Mario, you just aren't the man for the job.
Real Change

Fallbrook, CA

#7 Mar 1, 2009
Ah yes the smear merchants who think that San Gabriel is the finest place on earth are here bashing Mario Delatorre. What a joke. These are the same ones who are satisfied with roads that have deteriorated so much they are basically down to dirt. Continue to over build on Valley blvd. Causing congestion and traffic nightmares along that corridor. Continue to attract low revenue generating strip mall type businesses where every other dollar goes into the little brown bag. Let Asian gangs shoot up coffee houses, which is the third one that I know of down there. The other night as I walked east bound on Las Tunas traffic was backed up from San Gabriel blvd all the way back to Mission Drive what a joke. I think Police and Fire who are run efficiently should take over the running of the city.
Yeah that’s what you people want, keep the norm.(No pun intended but the losers down at city hall couldn’t even keep the Norm’s in the city) You are the ones that have let this city become a third world. Do you people even shop in this town. You can only have so many noodle dinners. When was the last time any of traveled any of the major thoroughfares here in town? Valley and San Gabriel from the freeway north takes almost a half hour to get through. But yet your going to build some monster building on that site of the old Arco station, way to go guys add another 10 minutes on to that north south commute. The old Norm’s site I understand is going to be another mess. You going to allow another high-density piece of crap be built there with a pedestrian bridge to those San Gabriel gold mines Hawaii Market and that other Asian Disneyland on the south west corner of Del Mar and Valley. You think traffic doesn’t move now just wait you morons. Sure the Police department needs a new building but how do we pay for it with the taxes we get from coffee, noodle, and yogurt houses Say What!
So go right and attack Delatorre all you want while Harry the dinosaur Baldwin out and Kevin look at me I’m planting trees Sawkins continue to let San Gabriel become an unrecognizable third world country of it’s own. They even want to subject those poor people who live basically on top of each down by the playhouse to even more crowding with some BS they want to build down there. Yeah like the Mission district is going to become like Old Town Pasadena… whatever but that’s what these morons think. Wake up people the cities around us like Alhambra and Temple City finally said enough is enough but it won’t happen here until we dump these two. If you want real “Change” now is the time to make a statement and get Mario in there. Instead of just grumbling in the background like most of us have been for the last three years get out and vote and get rid of these two or at least one of them so we can now have voice that listens to us. NO MORE BUSINESS AS USUAL, LOOK WHERE IT HAS US NOW!

Beleive it Douglas R I'm voting for him and obviously so are many others.
You cant fool me

Fallbrook, CA

#8 Mar 1, 2009
Anyone want to place a bet that Mom at home and fellower golfer are one and the same
San Gabriel is fine

Rosemead, CA

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Why is there such a ruckus to keep the norms? It's old, ugly and taking up valuable space to improve that sector of San Gabriel. If you asked me, if it weren't for the Asians moving into our old part of town it would have stayed a Ghetto which was the way it was headed in the 80s. There would be no new development on Valley or new homes. It would be another El Monte or Baldwin Park.

Baldwin is doing fine, he's fixed our city streets and has the funding now to improve our police station. He's improved our city with all the new development on Valley and Las Tunas. I will vote for Baldwin.
SG is a joke

Fallbrook, CA

#10 Mar 1, 2009
"He's improved our city with all the new development on Valley and Las Tunas."

Valley blvd.is a mess and Las Tunas is a ghost town. Oh wait Shakey's! and they even had to take the sign that said "Ye olde English spoken here" down
Fellow Golfer

Alhambra, CA

#11 Mar 2, 2009
In response to Real Change who wrote:
"I think Police and Fire who are run efficiently should take over the running of the city."
Please note that the San Gabriel Police and Fire Departments are fully SUPPORTING the 3 incumbents. Take time to read your flyers.

In reading your viewpoint, and a few of the others, the racism you express is quite evident to all. As an Asian I often hear remarks of that type around the club, I would guess you are also a member and I would definitely guess you are NOT Chinese. It's amazing what money can buy, although class and decency isn't on the menu, even at the Country Club.
Experience Needed

Alhambra, CA

#12 Mar 2, 2009
Just popped in to see the latest ramblings of the country club set. Not only is racism alive and well but ignorance raises her ugly head. Some of the comments simply show a complete lack of correct information. Even I know that the landlord didn't renew Norm's lease. The city had nothing to do with it. I spoke to the owner of Norm's regarding this very issue. Take some time to check out facts before you make an idiot of yourself.
Thanks to Sawkins and Baldwin who both made personal visits to my "sub-Country Club" neighborhood over the weekend. I trust our community will be wise enought to re-elect you both.
Enough Already

Inglewood, CA

#13 Mar 2, 2009
They can plant trees but yet they can't pave our streets. Sounds like their priorities are a little screwed up!
I trust our community is wise enough that they realize we need "REAL CHANGE" but then again the country elected Obama........opps I just played the race card.
Oh and by the way "Real Change" your observation that Alhambra and Temple City have awoken is right on the mark. Look at downtown Alhambra they have cleaned up their sign ordinances and have got it together and now they are starting to take back Valley Blvd. Enough is enough already, great statement.
Quit playing the race card Baldwin-Sawkins fans it's not very becoming and we're not buying it! The pot is starting to boil.
Lower the Railroad

Alhambra, CA

#14 Mar 2, 2009
Bunch of dummies here on this blog. If you want the tracks lowered you need to support Baldwin. He is the only candidate with the connections in D.C. and Sacramento to get the money to finish that job. He has brought in over $450,000,000. Pretty darn great for a dinosaur. He is a man of experience and integrity. Can't say as much for the others.
Sorry But

Inglewood, CA

#15 Mar 2, 2009
If you think lowering the tracks is a priority then the discussion is over. No need debating a jackass.
$450,000,000 and not much to show for it that's even worse.

Lower the Railroad

AOL

#16 Mar 2, 2009
Talk about being a jackass!! And an ignorant jackass at that !!!! Lowering the railroad through the city will ease our traffic problems tremendously and create many jobs for the area. The $450,000,000 is allocated to do the work WHEN the remaining monies are awarded. Almost there. Try picking up a newspaper and get the facts before you sound off like an idiot.
I Have To Agree

Inglewood, CA

#17 Mar 3, 2009
Lower the Railroad wrote:
Talk about being a jackass!! And an ignorant jackass at that !!!! Lowering the railroad through the city will ease our traffic problems tremendously and create many jobs for the area. The $450,000,000 is allocated to do the work WHEN the remaining monies are awarded. Almost there. Try picking up a newspaper and get the facts before you sound off like an idiot.
As another who drives San Gabriel Blvd to Pasadena every day from Rosemead via San Gabriel Blvd I have to agree the tracks are not the problem. I spent more time burning gas at the intersection of San Gabriel Blvd. and Valley Blvd than I do waiting for a train to clear. At least the train moves. And the people coming out of that Market can't drive. At times it's scarey.
shockzap

Antioch, CA

#18 Mar 3, 2009
Yo i thank you all is confoos about yall was hapning and shuz. you shuz dont evan no
Dan

Ventura, CA

#19 Mar 3, 2009
So why vote for the three again? You just told me all bad things about the bad 3 City Council. You did not mention the prostitutes at the Hilton on Valley Blvd either, and how one of the City Councilwoman works for the Hilton their. It is time for new blood. A new City Manager and a New Police Chief.
cleanliving

La Verne, CA

#20 Mar 3, 2009
Dan wrote:
So why vote for the three again? You just told me all bad things about the bad 3 City Council. You did not mention the prostitutes at the Hilton on Valley Blvd either, and how one of the City Councilwoman works for the Hilton their. It is time for new blood. A new City Manager and a New Police Chief.
AMEN to that!!!! Dave Gutierrez is a lying, cheating back stabber!!! And the chief of Police David Lawton is the same!!! They are both ANTI-POLICE!!! How much longer are the men and women in blue need to wait for a new police station. Talk about an unsafe place to work!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alameda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) 11 hr Human 163
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 14 hr Miggy 17,381
Ms Jolie Cancels Trump/Clinton Debate Sun jolly pitz gnus 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Big city 20,609
News Hemet Doctor Accused Of Sexual Battery (Nov '07) Fri dirty schanze 72
Thousand Oaks County Mugshots and Criminal Arre... Sep 22 Mickey 2
News Benicia council spikes use permit for Valero oi... Sep 21 Birds Landing Bob 1

Alameda Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alameda Mortgages