Biblical scholar's date for rapture: ...

Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011

There are 11677 comments on the San Francisco Chronicle story from Jan 1, 2010, titled Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011. In it, San Francisco Chronicle reports that:

Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Francisco Chronicle.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#21 Feb 4, 2010
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
What will you do on May 22 , 2011, if it doesn't happen?
Will you reassess anything?
The question is, what are you going to do when the truth becomes apparent.

A bitter/sweet day, 5.21.11.
Pete-o

Grand Prairie, TX

#22 Feb 4, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. The Bible does indeed say that no one will no the day or hour of the second coming.
Harold Camping is a deluded fraud... a liar and deceiver who uses the trickery of numerology to "predict" Rapture dates and keep himself in the spotlight. He is a cult leader, no more, no less.
Think about it... many, many, many thousands of biblical scholars through the centuries have dedicated their lives to studying the Bible. Billions and billions of ordinary everyday Christians have come and gone as well. All these billions of people, and no one has "discovered" what Harold Camping has supposedly discerned in the Bible? We're supposes to believe this one man, out of billions, got it right? We're supposed to ignore all the hundreds of failed rapture date predictions made by self-serving false prophets throughout the centuries, but somehow Camping is right, although he failed spectacularly in 1994?
It's all deception and lies. PT Barnum had a phrase for people like those who would actually believe anything that Camping says... "There's a sucker born every minute".
He was wrong in 1994, he'll be wrong again.
I'm a nonbeliever, and therefore don't believe in all this rapture stuff anyway, but have looked at this issue for several months now from the Christian viewpoint.
This "Bible Code" type silliness does nothing to help the Christian religion. It makes Christians look like a bunch of superstitious flakes. Although as I said I am not a Christian, most of my friends are Christians, and am acquainted with a bunch of Christians on Topix as well. It angers them, and me as well, that their faith is being mocked by fools such as Camping.
When people like Camping screw around with numerology or other means to "predict" Rapture dates, they are playing God. And if the Christian god actually exists, I'm sure frauds like Harold Camping are going to have some 'splaining to do when they stand before the throne of judgment.
The worst part? People have given all their money and belongings away because they fall for the lies of charlatans like Camping. Self-aggrandizing false prophets like Camping have wrecked lives.
I'm so sure we'll be here on May 22 , 2011 that I will bet anyone $10,000, any takers? How sure are you, scout said 100%.

Back it up.
Pete-o

Grand Prairie, TX

#23 Feb 4, 2010
scout wrote:
<quoted text>
The question is, what are you going to do when the truth becomes apparent.
A bitter/sweet day, 5.21.11.
I didn't think you'd answer the question.
How about the bet?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24 Feb 4, 2010
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so sure we'll be here on May 22 , 2011 that I will bet anyone $10,000, any takers? How sure are you, scout said 100%.
Back it up.
***You are right!There will be almost 7 billion people still here on May 22,2011.If you are still alive you'll have lots of people to console you in your anguish,that is if they are not trying to kill you for your possessions that they need in order to stay alive.Your mocking will be turned to astonishment when you feel the earth quaking ,and you remember you heard about this from those quacks who said they were warning the world,that this was going to happen on this day.But you didn't follow the teaching in the bible,you just thought "I'm too intelligent to even consider this thing I'm hearing".Well,exactly 153 days(5 months) later you and the rest of the dead will"evolve" into ash first and then nothing,totally forgotten by your creator who you didn't believe created you,never to return to a living being again-oh,and according to your evolutionary theories-or BECOME anything else.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#25 Feb 4, 2010
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think you'd answer the question.
How about the bet?
lol, ok, I won't answer this one!

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#26 Feb 5, 2010
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so sure we'll be here on May 22 , 2011 that I will bet anyone $10,000, any takers? How sure are you, scout said 100%.
Back it up.
Those two Camping Cult nutjobs Gary and Dave I referred to in my first post on this thread wouldn't even agree to my challenge to donate a measly $521.11 to a children's charity if 5/21/11 came and went with no Rapture... you won't find a single taker for your bet.

They are all talk, nothing else. I bet on 5/22/11, the same Topix lunatics who have been running around threads basically saying "I'm gonna get raptured on that date and you're gonna suffer horribly, ha ha ha" will be pretending like they never made these guarantees. No matter... I have a bookmark folder with a bunch of these "rock-solid, surefire, can't fail" guarantees from various superstitious ignorant clods. I'll be happy to rub their own arrogant words in their faces on 5/22/11.

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#27 Feb 5, 2010
nysdan wrote:
<quoted text>
***You are right!There will be almost 7 billion people still here on May 22,2011.If you are still alive you'll have lots of people to console you in your anguish,that is if they are not trying to kill you for your possessions that they need in order to stay alive.Your mocking will be turned to astonishment when you feel the earth quaking ,and you remember you heard about this from those quacks who said they were warning the world,that this was going to happen on this day.But you didn't follow the teaching in the bible,you just thought "I'm too intelligent to even consider this thing I'm hearing".Well,exactly 153 days(5 months) later you and the rest of the dead will"evolve" into ash first and then nothing,totally forgotten by your creator who you didn't believe created you,never to return to a living being again-oh,and according to your evolutionary theories-or BECOME anything else.
Uneducated, ignorant, frightened superstitious nonsense.

You guys just lick up anything you're told, because you're too stupid to think for yourselves.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Quezon, Philippines

#28 Feb 5, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
There are two whackjobs in the "Why Should Jesus Love Me?" thread (Top Stories forum) that have been relentlessly spamming the thread with warnings of this 5/21/11 nonsense. They are so immersed in Camping's Bible numerology cult that they swear it's a fact the end will indeed occur on that date.
It's kind of funny, seeing as that thread is a place full of dedicated Christian. These two Christer psychos have relentlessly browbeat these Christians bit as badly as some fundies thump non-Christians over the head with their Bibles.
It's also kind of sad, seeing what religion can do to some people.
I offered these two Camping cult members, brothers named Gary and Dave, a simple challenge. I challenged them to make a donation to the Ronald McDonald House Foundation in the amount of $521.11 (because of the date predicted by Camping) if that date came and went with no Rapture. I mean, since they have been constantly stating that the Rapture date of 5/21/11 is an incontrovertible and undeniable "fact", this would be a no-brainer to accept my challenge, right? After all, they would have been "reptured" on 5/21/11, so they would never have to pay up on 5/22!
Of course, they refused, under the pretext that they were offended by my avatar of Beavis on the cross. Seems like when money is involved, even money that would go to help families be near their critically ill children, they're all of a sudden not so sure of their date, lol. Of course, they won't admit that.
It's lunacy like Camping's cult and its adherents that make religion in general, and Christianity in particular, so revolting to so many people.
I can't wait until 5/22/11. I am going to mercilessly skewer those two babbling fools, that is if they have the guts to show up on that thread.
Lol I hope these people give away all their money before that day comes....

and if it is true... why worry about it, we will all be dead anyways, no use spending your last days worrying about it
Pete-o

United States

#29 Feb 6, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Those two Camping Cult nutjobs Gary and Dave I referred to in my first post on this thread wouldn't even agree to my challenge to donate a measly $521.11 to a children's charity if 5/21/11 came and went with no Rapture... you won't find a single taker for your bet.
They are all talk, nothing else. I bet on 5/22/11, the same Topix lunatics who have been running around threads basically saying "I'm gonna get raptured on that date and you're gonna suffer horribly, ha ha ha" will be pretending like they never made these guarantees. No matter... I have a bookmark folder with a bunch of these "rock-solid, surefire, can't fail" guarantees from various superstitious ignorant clods. I'll be happy to rub their own arrogant words in their faces on 5/22/11.
I would be interested in you posting those bookmarks, I know we can come back here, but bookmarks would be beneficial.

Personally, I will try to show them why these end times games have never worked and never will. I won't rub it in their faces. But point out the kind of damage this kind of cult does. Can you imagine them living their lives, influencing their children to think the end is near?

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#30 Feb 6, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Uneducated, ignorant, frightened superstitious nonsense.
You guys just lick up anything you're told, because you're too stupid to think for yourselves.
Quite the opposite, look at your moniker. Money/TV/film is your god and educator.

You do great honor to your father, Satan.

Seriously, you fail to see the truth because Christ does NOT want you to see the truth.

Not your fault.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#31 Feb 6, 2010
On 5.22.11, the last thing you guys will be thinking about is this thread on topix.

Maybe a few days later, a dim memory of this thread will flash, only to be forgotten a few seconds later, as you'll be a little busy.

Sorry, guys. Not my program.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#32 Feb 6, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Those two Camping Cult nutjobs Gary and Dave I referred to in my first post on this thread wouldn't even agree to my challenge to donate a measly $521.11 to a children's charity if 5/21/11 came and went with no Rapture... you won't find a single taker for your bet.
They are all talk, nothing else. I bet on 5/22/11, the same Topix lunatics who have been running around threads basically saying "I'm gonna get raptured on that date and you're gonna suffer horribly, ha ha ha" will be pretending like they never made these guarantees. No matter... I have a bookmark folder with a bunch of these "rock-solid, surefire, can't fail" guarantees from various superstitious ignorant clods. I'll be happy to rub their own arrogant words in their faces on 5/22/11.
They are quite use to your standard knee jerk betting response, in some form. Often it goes like,'sign over your house to me, effective 5.21.11.'

It's not about money, but about reality. The Bible is not a collection of anthropological myths, as you pretend. Your very perception is a direct result of decades of Satanic TV/film/college/public education.

Thus, your instincts that understand basic truths have been minimized and suffer from constant deceptions, fueled by the success of easy food and shelter and fun/games/and other anti-Christ foolishness.

Not your fault, really. Just leaves blowing in the Satanic Wind.

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#33 Feb 6, 2010
scout wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite the opposite, look at your moniker. Money/TV/film is your god and educator.
You do great honor to your father, Satan.
Seriously, you fail to see the truth because Christ does NOT want you to see the truth.
Not your fault.
If Christ does not want everyone to see "the truth", then you worship an evil god. A god who creates people specifically to throw into hell after they die.

You'll go to any length to convince yourself that you're somehow "privileged" and "special", won't you? Even at the cost of making your god out to look like an unjust, discriminatory, evil piece of garbage.

Tsk, tsk...

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#34 Feb 6, 2010
scout wrote:
On 5.22.11, the last thing you guys will be thinking about is this thread on topix.
Maybe a few days later, a dim memory of this thread will flash, only to be forgotten a few seconds later, as you'll be a little busy.
Sorry, guys. Not my program.
Empty threats from an empty mind.

Yawn.

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#35 Feb 6, 2010
scout wrote:
<quoted text>
They are quite use to your standard knee jerk betting response, in some form. Often it goes like,'sign over your house to me, effective 5.21.11.'
It's not about money, but about reality. The Bible is not a collection of anthropological myths, as you pretend. Your very perception is a direct result of decades of Satanic TV/film/college/public education.
Thus, your instincts that understand basic truths have been minimized and suffer from constant deceptions, fueled by the success of easy food and shelter and fun/games/and other anti-Christ foolishness.
Not your fault, really. Just leaves blowing in the Satanic Wind.
More word games, designed to release you and your fellow Camping Cultists from having to back up your claims that Harold Camping is correct.

That is why I challenged Gary and Dave to back up their claims by donating a paltry amount of money to a charity for sick children - that way they couldn't accuse me of trying to enrich myself.

Sadly though, they not only revealed that they wouldn't put their money where their mouths are, and therefore do not have the courage of their "convictions", but they also revealed that they don't care one bit about critically ill children.

So much for the "love" of Christianity. All you people care about is death, the end of the world, and your imaginary heaven paved with streets of gold that are lined with mansions just waiting for you to move in.

Fundamentalist Pauline Christianity is such a disgusting, infantile religion.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#36 Feb 6, 2010
Beavis Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
More word games, designed to release you and your fellow Camping Cultists from having to back up your claims that Harold Camping is correct.
That is why I challenged Gary and Dave to back up their claims by donating a paltry amount of money to a charity for sick children - that way they couldn't accuse me of trying to enrich myself.
Sadly though, they not only revealed that they wouldn't put their money where their mouths are, and therefore do not have the courage of their "convictions", but they also revealed that they don't care one bit about critically ill children.
So much for the "love" of Christianity. All you people care about is death, the end of the world, and your imaginary heaven paved with streets of gold that are lined with mansions just waiting for you to move in.
Fundamentalist Pauline Christianity is such a disgusting, infantile religion.
Not a small exaggeration to lable others as not caring because they refuse to accept your gambling terms.

As if you care about children, after aborting/killing three.

We are ALL born evil, not one of us pop out with any sense. The elect were chosen to survive PRIOR to creation itself, thus not ONE thing we did influenced Christ to set us aside from the coming destruction.

Point being that the elect will be forever in Christ's debt, which is the only place for us, anyway. Chain of command will be etched into our brains, so that this reality will not ever repeat.

No words games, because Christ doesn't play games, but Satan does, if only to bring down as many with him as possible, which is most I'm afraid.

I write the above with a heavy heart. 5.21.11 is bitter and sweet. The truth of our nature is the same.
rickperry

Dallas, TX

#37 Feb 6, 2010
cool, can we get this day off from work?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#38 Feb 6, 2010
rickperry wrote:
cool, can we get this day off from work?
no need to submit a request-you will be off or dead that day.

“I can see my house from here!”

Since: Oct 09

Nazareth, Israel

#39 Feb 6, 2010
scout wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a small exaggeration to lable others as not caring because they refuse to accept your gambling terms.
It wasn't "gambling"; you are being intentionally evasive.
As if you care about children, after aborting/killing three.
Pray tell, what 3 children did I abort/kill? You are an abject liar. Also, I suggested the Ronald Macdonald House to Gary and Dave because that is a charity I donate to. What have YOU done for sick children lately, hypocrite?
We are ALL born evil, not one of us pop out with any sense. The elect were chosen to survive PRIOR to creation itself, thus not ONE thing we did influenced Christ to set us aside from the coming destruction.
No one is born evil. There is no such thing as original sin, because Adam and Eve never existed. There was no Adam, no Eve, no garden of Eden, no magic talking snake, no magic tree, and no magic fruit. It is a fantasy made thousands of years ago for the purpose of instilling fear in people so that they might be controlled more easily. You'd think that in the 21st century, no one would be so stupid and gullible to believe these magic fairy tales. However, here you are...

Also, thanks for confirming your sick, twisted, sadistic belief that your sick, twisted, sadistic god creates people solely for the purpose of throwing them into hell.
Point being that the elect will be forever in Christ's debt, which is the only place for us, anyway. Chain of command will be etched into our brains, so that this reality will not ever repeat.
This particular ramble doesn't even make any sense.
No words games, because Christ doesn't play games, but Satan does, if only to bring down as many with him as possible, which is most I'm afraid.
The only game players are you fundie Christer lunatics, who have nothing of a spiritual nature, but instead have deflection, evasion, strawmen, red herrings and outright lies.
I write the above with a heavy heart. 5.21.11 is bitter and sweet. The truth of our nature is the same.
One thing's for sure... 5.22.11 is gonna be sweet for me! Hope you're man enough to show up and take the ridicule you so richly deserve. Maybe then you'll think twice before mindlessly sucking the teat of Harold Camping, an old con man who has suckered believers with wrong dates before.

Nah... who am I kidding... after this next rapture date prediction fails, you'll just brainlessly believe the next date Camping pulls out of his hat.

It's really gotta suck being an ignorant, superstitious clod like you, who spends his whole adult life wishing for the destruction of the world. Your worthless religion, and your mindless godbotting religious fanaticism, are a pox on humanity.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Los Banos, CA

#40 Feb 6, 2010
Like I said, not really your fault. Not my program, either.

Party till the end, as that's what you'll do anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alameda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 42 min Man people are gu... 20,195
News Danette Mitchell: Black consumers should suppor... 4 hr SeanOsorioLee 10
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) 19 hr North Mountain 128
Elevator Stench on the Rise? Sun barleycorn 1
News Laura Medina gets 11 years in car-chase manslau... (Feb '07) Sat sflove2011 94
News New Brain Atlas Reveals Where Words Are Stored Sat Laura Jane 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Sat Voyeur 17,159
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alameda Mortgages