Organizers Declare Raymond Zack Memor...

Organizers Declare Raymond Zack Memorial "Wade-out" a Success

There are 1 comment on the story from Jun 13, 2011, titled Organizers Declare Raymond Zack Memorial "Wade-out" a Success. In it, reports that:

Local organizers here of a memorial "wade-out" into the waters off Robert Crown Memorial Beach yesterday, intended to demonstrate that Raymond Zack might have been saved by authorities on Memorial Day, have declared the exercise a success.

Eleven swimmers, including some in their sixties, walked off-shore 150 yards, as measure by a floating rope, in 63F water, standing approximately as far from shore as Raymond Zack did for an hour on May 30th, when he collapsed and died while Alameda police and firefighters watched without entering the water. Organizers timed their event to tide tables that predicted water conditions similar to those on the beach the day that Zack died, and had a retired Oakland firefighter call out actions that would normally be appropriate for first responders in such a situation, including calling on mutual aid from agencies in adjoining districts.

Alameda resident Rosemary McNally, who helped organize members of a swim club to wade into the water said, "All I wanted to do is prove that the water here is extremely shallow and calm. If they [Alameda public safety agencies] were not equipped or trained to rescue him, they should have called the appropriate agencies immediately and the appropriate agencies would have known how to save him."

Event organizer Liz Williams said, "We proved today beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would have been possible to save Raymond Zack on Memorial Day. It was surprising to see just close he really was, even at 150 yards out, to the shore. Photographs make it look like he was much farther out, but it was still only about 5 feet of water."

Event organizers are looking forward next to attending the June 21st Alameda City Council meeting, where they expect the Council will vote on a new contract for Alameda firefighters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at .

acreccsucks

Tijuana, Mexico

#1 Jun 15, 2011
http://www.911dispatch.com/2011/06/dispatcher...

Alameda County Fire Dept's dispatch center (which dispatches for multiple Fire Departments in Alameda County, including Alameda City Fire) is also the mutual aid coordinator for the county and Cal-Fire Region 2. Somebody or several somebodies in dispatch screwed up.

Several nearby Fire Departments had shallow draft boats that could have responded in time to help Mr. Zack.

Nothing new for ACFD's dispatch center, which has been responsible for several hundred delayed responses or inappropriate responses over the last few years.

At some point you'd think Alameda County Fire Department management would detect a pattern and address the issues? How many more people have to die?

Hello, Alameda County Grand Jury? County Counsel? MEDIA? Anybody paying attention? Millions of tax dollars being spent on a dispatch center that can't dispatch properly. Where's the money going, Hmmmm?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alameda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr BuildTheWall 21,023
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 1 hr Fair Balanced 17,601
Orginal ducs for your needs Tue dorisbella 1
where am i Jul 17 My Thoughts are Mine 1
News Top Hillary Supporter Was Russian Lawyer Veseln... Jul 16 Truth 1
News Battle for Berkeley: Will Ann Coulter spark ano... Jul 13 C Kersey 8
News Courts unifying computer systems (May '06) May '17 Your Service Prov... 3

Alameda Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alameda Mortgages