Prade denied second request for DNA testing

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Douglas Prade, the former Akron police captain serving life in prison for killing his ex-wife, has been turned down for a second time in his attempt to get access to DNA testing.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Feb 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Its 420 Somewhere

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

If DNA would only solidify the prosecuter's case - what are they afraid of?
The Voice of Reason

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

NEVER Forget Clarence Elkins and how they fought to cover up his innocence. They also agreed to do DNA testing on his case then refused when it came time. As we all know Walsh really screwed that case up when it was so obvious Clarence was innocent
Appraisit

Louisville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

Its 420 Somewhere wrote:
If DNA would only solidify the prosecuter's case - what are they afraid of?
Don't waste the $$$$, they had bite marks & witnesses who placed him at the scene....put him to death and get it over with..tired of my tax $$$ going for vermin....he had a beautiful,intelligent wife and family and destroyed it .....

“~*~ Wildly Alive~*~”

Since: Jan 08

Boston Hts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Screw Douglas prade...The case is as solid as it need be!!

God Bless Clarence, Enjoy Your Freedom My Friend!!
Akron Jr

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

If the DNA test Mr. Prade is referring to means,
"Do It Now", by all means, yes, give him the needle he so richly deserves!
WORM

Bristolville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

G U I L T Y STILL

“Watch out, I might be angry...”

Since: Sep 07

North Ghetto Hill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

why is he still alive?
Read this book

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Remembering Margo: A Triumphant Life, a Tragic Death, And Life's Greatest Deception by Donzella Michele Malone
Duke for Mayor

Yorba Linda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Judged:

Appraisit wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste the $$$$, they had bite marks & witnesses who placed him at the scene....put him to death and get it over with..tired of my tax $$$ going for vermin....he had a beautiful,intelligent wife and family and destroyed it .....
Eyewitnesses identification: Shown scientifically to often be one of the most unreliable forms of evidence available.

Bite marks: Highly suspect as well.

DNA: Extremely accurate.

Sunnit County Prosecutor: Has a history of sometimes convicting innocent people in the past, and then actively opposing justice when those false convictions are threatened. Clarence Elkins had to force his own release from prison by surreptitiously acquiring the real murderer's DNA himself.

If there is still DNA evidence available that would either exonerate Prade or affirm his conviction, why not order the testing?

A prosecutor is sworn to pursue and uphold justice, not potentially false convictions.

woof
Registered Voter

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

If he really feels that it could prove his innocence , WHY DOSNT HE PAY FOR IT ?he isnt driving a new car or buying gas but he is collecting a very nice pension fron the city , and no utility bills to worry about, and sure not doing the right thing otherwise he wouldnt be where he is at
Gordo the Wonderful

Bedford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

No harm, test him and let the chips fall where they may!
underlying reasons

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Vengeance is what we really want sometimes. It's somehow a natural feeling. It's because we hate crime.

I know we also want Justice. And justice isn't served if the wrong person sits in prison.

Whether it's DNA or a confession by the real culprit, the system has to allow for exonerating evidence to be introduced in anyone's case.

If he or his lawyers or anyone wants to support him, so be it.
concerned citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Eyewitnesses identification: Shown scientifically to often be one of the most unreliable forms of evidence available.
Sunnit County Prosecutor: Has a history of sometimes convicting innocent people in the past, and then actively opposing justice when those false convictions are threatened. Clarence Elkins had to force his own release from prison by surreptitiously acquiring the real murderer's DNA himself.
If there is still DNA evidence available that would either exonerate Prade or affirm his conviction, why not order the testing?
A prosecutor is sworn to pursue and uphold justice, not potentially false convictions.
woof
interesting points
Akron Rocks

Bay Village, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Put some bacon on his lap to fry with him when they send him to the electric chair. Piece of dirt.
RIGHCHEST BROTHER

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

im hungry for some bacon that sounds good!she was my doctor i paid on a budget that i could aford for myself and my two children, ear infection,20 dollars strep throuth 30 dollars what ever it was it was for you and what you needed,on your budget!!! badge wearin hoodiiiiiiiiii took her life and every one elses she touch out there! if he is not guilty then why is he in jail!!
Appraisit

Louisville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
woof
Excuse me Duke, but why would suggest bite marks as "suspect"...dental records are used all the time for identification..it's like a fingerprint...each persons own ID ?
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

If DNA can prove more guilt or his innocence, why deny?

If he's still guilty by more facts, the prosecutors office will look all the better. This posturing makes them look bad, AGAIN.

Either way, I'd like us taxpayers to stop paying his LIVING expenses.

“~*~ Wildly Alive~*~”

Since: Jan 08

Boston Hts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

Judged:

Why Deny? Its EXPENSIVE!!!!

Estimated post-conviction DNA testing costs::

The Office of the Attorney General has previously estimated the cost for a post-conviction DNA test to be about $1,500. Given the above estimate of approximately 2,268 or so eligible inmates, the maximum total one-time expense for post-conviction DNA tests would be up to around $3.4 million. This maximum estimated one-time expense could be further reduced by two additional realities. First, the bill will only allow a post-conviction DNA test to be conducted if there is a useable sample for testing and a protective chain of custody that has kept the sample intact, and that the identity of the inmate was a key issue at the original trial. Many of the felony crimes, for which inmates are serving sentences, had no DNA samples collected because it was not relevant to the identification of a defendant. While there is no way to accurately calculate such a number, it would further reduce the number of eligible inmates.

Second, presumably those who are guilty of the crime for which they were convicted will rarely seek a DNA test that would simply reconfirm their guilt. Given these factors, it is possible that the actual number of eligible inmates that will petition for the post-conviction DNA test could be perhaps as low as a few hundred. If, for example, the number of inmates filing a petition were 200, the one-time DNA testing cost would be $300,000.

Upon the effective date of the bill, inmates currently in the prison system would have one year to request the post-conviction DNA test. Since the billís effective date is uncertain, it is difficult to ascertain which fiscal year or fiscal years the costs associated with these post-conviction DNA tests will fall. Notwithstanding this issue of timing, this is a one-time expense involving a single test and a fixed number of inmates. The bill is silent on who would pay for the one-time post-conviction DNA tests.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, But as soon as Prade or any other inmate for that matter is executed or released, Another takes his place...So if its not HIS living expenses you're paying, it will be someone elses.

This Country incarcerates more than any other country on the planet. Big Brother needs to re-evaluate!!
Sara

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

If he will to pay for the DNA testing and not the taxpayers, test him.
Duke for Mayor

Yorba Linda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

Judged:

Sara wrote:
If he will to pay for the DNA testing and not the taxpayers, test him.
I dont believe payment is the issue. Without the Court's consent, Prade cannot get access to the evidence or have it tested.

woof

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,216
Debate: Marijuana - Akron, OH (Aug '10) 2 hr Hot lady 145
Review: PRO-FLO Sewer And Drain 4 hr josh doedell 1
Crisis of Truth Chgo Thugs at work 5 hr Jeff 1
99-year-old runner sets world record in 100-met... 5 hr Wong Dong Fong 3
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed Marvin Levels 188
City threatening to sue those who don't pay cam... (Apr '10) Wed Barbertucky Barb 66

Search the Akron Forum:
•••
•••
Akron Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Akron Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Akron People Search