WKYC to cut Akron newscast

There are 51 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 16, 2008, titled WKYC to cut Akron newscast. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Akron-Canton newscast produced by WKYC for Time Warner Cable will have its last airing May 30.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

“Say it or leave it”

Since: Apr 08

Canton

#30 Apr 17, 2008
Ahau Kin wrote:
Who cares? You shouldn't be planning your evening around the TV set anyway.
Watching TV is a huge waste of time. There are so many more useful things you could be doing with your life.
If I could have back all the hours I wasted staring at the tube before I wised up, I'd probably be ten years younger.
The fact that I don't remember even 10% of all the crap I watched is a token that this is truth here.
Yeah, I hate TV too. I'm happy with my slow dial-up connection, my video games, and my radio.
Mark Jeffries

United States

#31 Apr 17, 2008
Ahau Kin wrote:
Watching TV is a huge waste of time. There are so many more useful things you could be doing with your life.
If I could have back all the hours I wasted staring at the tube before I wised up, I'd probably be ten years younger.
The fact that I don't remember even 10% of all the crap I watched is a token that this is truth here.
Then why did you even click on this article in the first place?

IF YOU DON'T LIKE TELEVISION, DON'T READ ABOUT IT.

Mental defective.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#32 Apr 17, 2008
Of course, our downtown may not be as interesting this summer. We don't have much "big city" feel to downtown, but at least the street food vendors gave us a little taste of what being in Chicago or Boston was like. Probably not this summer, though. Apparently somebody complained about those vendors being a "nuisance", so now City Hall is thinking of not allowing them at all this summer.
bobbo

Akron, OH

#33 Apr 17, 2008
Mark Jeffries wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did you even click on this article in the first place?
IF YOU DON'T LIKE TELEVISION, DON'T READ ABOUT IT.
Mental defective.
Is that your signature, or are you just being mean, you mental defacative.(Yeah, I coined that.)
NY Times reader

Canton, OH

#34 Apr 17, 2008
Mansfield was far too beholden to the Mayor's Office and the City of Akron to report objectively.

“It's 5 o'clock somewhere”

Since: Sep 07

Erie, PA

#35 Apr 17, 2008
Elyzybeth wrote:
<quoted text>
That's kind of funny they decided to get rid of Eric Mansfield after he was interviewed on WNIR. Besides WNIR is better than any news show.
They are keeping Eric Mansfield and a few others but that's it.
my comment

Erie, PA

#37 Apr 17, 2008
How small time can we get??? We are the only "big" city that does not have a news program.

It sure didn't help any to never ever find the broadcast..I would just give up. Almost like "Well, no news todays folks."
What the hay???

Also, the news-casters themselves looked bored to tears, and the skimpy bits of information.
No wonder people are moving out.

Our wonderful mayor is busy with other things, like running the homeless out of Canal Park, and giving tax shelters to business,who out-source.

He and his administration are so self absorbed. While other cities are busy finding health care options and putting in clinics; Don is busy on the golf courses..and making sure the poor are kicked off Medicaid.

The city should at least turn it over to Akron University. I'm sure they could dig up some news.
Disillusioned

Akron, OH

#39 Apr 17, 2008
City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
So now, once again, we have something major in common with New Jersey. That is, NJ news(unless it's a major story) gets ignored by Philly and New York TV, and Akron news gets ignored for the most part by Cleveland TV.
Akron may not be Cleveland---thank goodness for that---but it's still 500,000+ people that shouldn't be ignored.
I found that the Akron newscast had about 1 story on Akron and the rest was Canton or that general area.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#40 Apr 17, 2008
UNBELIEVABLE -------- wrote:
<quoted text> In their best day Akron never had 500,000 people where are you getting your population numbers ?
I can't believe you are actually asking this. Metro Akron is defined as Summit & Portage counties. Summit alone is around 550,000--add in Portage and you're well over 600,000 people. Since this was the Akron-Canton news show, we could also include Stark County with another 300,000 or so people, so now we're up to 900,000. That's quite enough people to have a news broadcast devoted strictly to them. There are towns out west with less than 100,000 people that have 3 or more TV stations doing local news.
Joe

Cleveland, OH

#43 Apr 17, 2008
Ahau Kin wrote:
You could say the same thing about the internet and even this forum. We all waste a bit of time here too don't we.
goldenthroat

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#44 Apr 17, 2008
Once again, Akron gets screwed with no extended local TV news coverage. We are larger than some cities in Ohio that have two or more TV stations. Comparable cities like Toledo, Dayton, Youngstown - check them out - they all have network affiliated stations - all but Akron, that is.

The broadcast media helps to establish a city's identity and my guess is that Akron city fathers could care less - they allowed our coporate identity to be thrown into the dumper years ago.

Yep, that's progress!
Ryan

United States

#45 Apr 17, 2008
BonedAmerican wrote:
Get rid of mansfield and you will save allot of money.
Not likely. He probably makes less than $60,000 a year. Maybe less than $50K.
Ryan

United States

#46 Apr 17, 2008
goldenthroat wrote:
Once again, Akron gets screwed with no extended local TV news coverage. We are larger than some cities in Ohio that have two or more TV stations. Comparable cities like Toledo, Dayton, Youngstown - check them out - they all have network affiliated stations - all but Akron, that is.
The broadcast media helps to establish a city's identity and my guess is that Akron city fathers could care less - they allowed our coporate identity to be thrown into the dumper years ago.
Yep, that's progress!
Toledo is double the size of Akron. Youngstown and Dayton are the largest cities in their respective regions. Arguably Dayton is on the fringes of the Cincinnati TV market, but Cleveland and Akron are about 12 miles closer together. Cincy's market is more geared toward northern Kentucky and southern Ohio. Dayton stands apart from Cincinnati a bit more than Akron does from Cleveland.

Nonetheless, it's entirely possible that if there's duplication of effort in Cincy and Dayton that the Dayton stations could be closed at some point. I don't know what networks do news broadcasts in Dayton though.

It's not a matter of being screwed as you put it. It's a matter of business. As Northeast Ohio shrinks and loses businesses you're going to see more contraction in the media. I'd be surprised if the Beacon is absorbed by the PD in the next 10 years.
Ryan

United States

#47 Apr 17, 2008
City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe you are actually asking this. Metro Akron is defined as Summit & Portage counties. Summit alone is around 550,000--add in Portage and you're well over 600,000 people. Since this was the Akron-Canton news show, we could also include Stark County with another 300,000 or so people, so now we're up to 900,000. That's quite enough people to have a news broadcast devoted strictly to them. There are towns out west with less than 100,000 people that have 3 or more TV stations doing local news.
If it bothers you that much then start up a television station and quit whining.
Who cares

Bay Village, OH

#51 Apr 17, 2008
Why is this news, no one watched this newscast or Eric Mansfield, hopefully now his picture won't be splashed everywhere we look..
lodge rat

United States

#52 Apr 17, 2008
Emma wrote:
Oh well I guess the people of Akron/Canton, will
have to read their local newspaper.
our local paper reports more Cleveland news than Akron news.
Mall Rat

United States

#53 Apr 17, 2008
If the Beacon keeps up the piss-poor journalism, we'll be the largest market in the US without a TV station OR a newspaper.
Akron Jr

Akron, OH

#54 Apr 17, 2008
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
And who wants to hear how our ill-LUSH-trious politicians devise even more ways to screw Akron taxpayers into the dirt?
Chalk up another one for the Pontius Pilates. And the Sponge Dons Gone Wild.
As evidenced last week, there's still some life, and hope, in WAKR as a credible investigative news source. At least, it's about all we have left.
Looks like Howard needs to get back on his meds.
ASAP.
Christine

Cleveland, OH

#55 Apr 17, 2008
I will miss Akron news (again); I knew it was going to be the death of it when Time Warner got involved as not everyone has cable TV. Love ya Eric and we will miss the rest of the group; hoping for some news from our area but I won't hold my breath. Cleveland doesn't care about us; they can't even keep the weather for Akron/Canton updated.
Jack

Cleveland, OH

#56 Apr 18, 2008
Disillusioned wrote:
I always found the Akron/Canton newscasters boring and stuffy. Their set looked like they were televising from a backdrop of a high school play. How much more $$$$ did they need to cut?
And your comments sum up what's wrong with viewers. They're worried about the wrong things. When it comes to news. The set: irrelevant. "Boring and stuffy"? Who cares.

They're reporting NEWS. You want flash? You're a big part of the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for jeff harper 9 hr raeleen 1
News Police officer's estimate good enough for speed... (Jun '10) 10 hr common sense 328
News Gang activity increasing in Akron (Jun '07) 22 hr mdanthony 150
Tip of the iceberg Wed ty Ree 1
guess who Wed Homeless Wino Pete 10
News Akron mayor resigns after accusing councilman o... Wed Homeless Wino Pete 15
News Akron's Rolling Acres Mall, from destination to... May 19 Walkin boss 1
More from around the web

Akron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]