WKYC to cut Akron newscast

WKYC to cut Akron newscast

There are 51 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 16, 2008, titled WKYC to cut Akron newscast. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Akron-Canton newscast produced by WKYC for Time Warner Cable will have its last airing May 30.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Upper People Dont Care

Uniontown, OH

#1 Apr 17, 2008
WOW!
BonedAmerican

Twinsburg, OH

#2 Apr 17, 2008
Get rid of mansfield and you will save allot of money.
Old Man Grump April 17

Akron, OH

#3 Apr 17, 2008
Who cares? I never watched that newscast anyway. It conflicted with the national news at 6:30pm.

Since: Dec 07

Warren, OH

#5 Apr 17, 2008
I miss WAKR-TV!

“Just Watching the Parade”

Since: Jul 07

Akron

#8 Apr 17, 2008
I watched the Channel 3 news last night and they didn't say a word about the tanker spill on I-76. Not one word. Sure, they were able to spend 15 seconds talking about that kid in Canton who was with a group of several thousand who... sort of got to see the Pope... from kinda far away... but absolutely nothing on the spill that shut down I-76 for seven hours.
Jack Hill

Lady Lake, FL

#9 Apr 17, 2008
It's just Akron. Who wants to hear about the daily rapes, muggings, gang wars and dope busts?
Emma

Cleveland, OH

#10 Apr 17, 2008
Oh well I guess the people of Akron/Canton, will
have to read their local newspaper.
Joe

Utica, MI

#11 Apr 17, 2008
Jack Hill wrote:
It's just Akron. Who wants to hear about the daily rapes, muggings, gang wars and dope busts?
Sounds like you're talking about Cleveland. The crime rate there is FAR worse then Akron. I hate local news. Most of it is just that which I think is rather boring.
Disillusioned

Akron, OH

#14 Apr 17, 2008
I always found the Akron/Canton newscasters boring and stuffy. Their set looked like they were televising from a backdrop of a high school play. How much more $$$$ did they need to cut?

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#15 Apr 17, 2008
Jack Hill wrote:
And who wants to hear how our ill-LUSH-trious politicians devise even more ways to screw Akron taxpayers into the dirt?

Chalk up another one for the Pontius Pilates. And the Sponge Dons Gone Wild.

As evidenced last week, there's still some life, and hope, in WAKR as a credible investigative news source. At least, it's about all we have left.
Springfield Res

Aurora, CO

#16 Apr 17, 2008
Back to Fox 8 for me
city resident

Akron, OH

#17 Apr 17, 2008
I am going to miss Akron news and Eric Mansfield. I think they did a great job covering the news in our area. Good luck to him and the others at the station. And bad luck to those who are taking them off the air.Akron is big city and we need local coverage.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#18 Apr 17, 2008
city resident wrote:
I am going to miss Akron news and Eric Mansfield. I think they did a great job covering the news in our area. Good luck to him and the others at the station. And bad luck to those who are taking them off the air.Akron is big city and we need local coverage.
So now, once again, we have something major in common with New Jersey. That is, NJ news(unless it's a major story) gets ignored by Philly and New York TV, and Akron news gets ignored for the most part by Cleveland TV.

Akron may not be Cleveland---thank goodness for that---but it's still 500,000+ people that shouldn't be ignored.

“"It is what it is..."”

Since: Dec 07

Akron, Ohio

#19 Apr 17, 2008
city resident wrote:
I work for the city and you could always count on seeing footage from fires and med runs and lots of local coverage on there. We liked to watch the local news at the station at night.
Very Opinionated

Erie, PA

#20 Apr 17, 2008
city resident wrote:
It probably didn't help that Time Warner didn't have it listed on their guide, at least in my area. The Akron/Canton news was on at 6:30 on Channel 15 (in my area) but it was never listed. More Sports with Les Levin was on at 6pm and then would switch to the news at 6:30. But no one would ever know it if they were flipping through the guide.
I watch the 6:30 news because, timing-wise for me it is usually the first chance I get to watch the news after coming home from work. Now I'll have to wait for 11 o'clock.
As for if it was announced on Channel 3, yes it was during the 11 o'clock broadcast. They SAID they would increase the CAK coverage during their regular telecasts but we've heard that before. Once again Akron is left out in the cold.
Another City Resident

Akron, OH

#22 Apr 17, 2008
City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
So now, once again, we have something major in common with New Jersey. That is, NJ news(unless it's a major story) gets ignored by Philly and New York TV, and Akron news gets ignored for the most part by Cleveland TV.
Akron may not be Cleveland---thank goodness for that---but it's still 500,000+ people that shouldn't be ignored.
Too bad it's 500,000+ people that get ignored by their own city government. Except when that city government needs more funds for another of Don's pet projects or another bail out.
Wonder

Akron, OH

#24 Apr 17, 2008
Wasted days and wasted nights....

This is right up there with the Inventors Hall being closed. We should buy a fire truck or something to make us feel better.
sdwdr68

Uniontown, OH

#26 Apr 17, 2008
Well at least we may still have WNIR for some info on OUR Hometown.Tell me why we cant pay top dollar to keep our news just like all the fuss over GoodYear & THE darn Fierstone? I try so hard to be possative of the town that I live in but its getting realy hard with all the BS every day////Thanks to you for the ride you shall be missed thats for real//////////
Ahau Kin

United States

#27 Apr 17, 2008
Who cares? You shouldn't be planning your evening around the TV set anyway.

Watching TV is a huge waste of time. There are so many more useful things you could be doing with your life.

If I could have back all the hours I wasted staring at the tube before I wised up, I'd probably be ten years younger.

The fact that I don't remember even 10% of all the crap I watched is a token that this is truth here.

“Say it or leave it”

Since: Apr 08

Canton

#29 Apr 17, 2008
sdwdr68 wrote:
Well at least we may still have WNIR for some info on OUR Hometown.Tell me why we cant pay top dollar to keep our news just like all the fuss over GoodYear & THE darn Fierstone? I try so hard to be possative of the town that I live in but its getting realy hard with all the BS every day////Thanks to you for the ride you shall be missed thats for real//////////
That's kind of funny they decided to get rid of Eric Mansfield after he was interviewed on WNIR. Besides WNIR is better than any news show.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Mayor needs help 17 hr Tyree 2
News Ex-mayor of Akron warned by police about peeing... Sep 2 Tyree showerman 3
News KSU professor accused of trying to have sex wit... Sep 1 Walkin Boss 1
News Neighborhoods near downtown Akron still blighted Aug 30 Boss King 1
News Akron man guilty in New Year's Eve triple homic... Aug 30 Boss King 1
AA cult Aug 29 AA psychos 1
News Former Akron Mayor Reportedly Busted For Urinat... Aug 29 Fr Tyree 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Akron Mortgages