Cooey death clock ticking

Cooey death clock ticking

There are 132 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Cooey death clock ticking. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

More than five years ago, Richard Wade Cooey was primed for execution. In the summer of 2003, his clemency was denied by then-Gov. Bob Taft and weeks later, he was moved to the death-house cell at the Southern ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Since: Aug 08

Medina, OH

#42 Aug 25, 2008
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you are not serious..he BRUTALLY murdered two people and all he is concerned about is how painful his death will be. I don't think he has learned a thing from being in prison. Let's get rid of him already!
No, you'd have to see the other posts from new wineskins. He/she was not serious.

Medina, OH

#43 Aug 25, 2008
rootvg wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Utah still offers firing squad as an option.
Personally, I like the idea of hanging a little better.
Now you're talking!

Medina, OH

#44 Aug 25, 2008
Crime of the Century wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more. I say we should use the death penalty within one year of a killer's indictment. At least that way the murderers won't have time to gain a lot of weight and complain to the court that they're too fat to be injected.
I think it's a mistake to think of the death penalty as a deterrent... it's a punishment, pure and simple. A life for a life. Neither of Cooey's two victims will ever walk the earth again, and all because they met Cooey and his buddy. As such, Cooey himself must also die. I don't understand how the other guy in this case escaped execution, but it sounds to me like there ought to be two needles involved here.
Did you ever get the feeling that the reason a defendant doesn't like the death penalty is because of the solitary confinement?

I always figured that's the reason they fought the DP. You are right on the whole deterrent issue. Doubtful it scares anybody into not committing murder.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#45 Aug 25, 2008
new wineskins wrote:
<quoted text>
Please use the term "weight-challenged."
How about "mass/gravity impaired?"
Lady Love

Anaheim, CA

#46 Aug 25, 2008
Please,let's all pray that Walsh, and Strickland do their jobs and get this done. Get rid of this monster and all the rest of them on death row in Ohio. Rember the victims, not the pigs.
AU Alum

United States

#47 Aug 25, 2008
Dawn and Wendy were my wife's sorority sisters. They were terrific girls. This dirt bag tossed a brick off an overpass that smashes their windsheild and then drives up offering assistance. He then drove them to Norton where he raped and beat them to death with his grandpa's night stick. If anyone deserves to die it is this b*st*rd. Seems to me he has a choice to make. Put himself on a diet or suffer the consequences on execution day. At least he has a choice. Wendy and Dawn did not have a choice or a chance.
read the fine print

Akron, OH

#48 Aug 25, 2008
Geez, I haven't heard one of you people say that he is rehabilitated. He has suffered enough. He was remorsefull. I would hope he is given the chance to speak so we can hear what he has to say. Give him the time he deserves, then kill him.

“Deliver me from thy followers”

Since: Jun 08

Cuyahoga Falls

#49 Aug 25, 2008
AU Alum wrote:
Dawn and Wendy were my wife's sorority sisters. They were terrific girls. This dirt bag tossed a brick off an overpass that smashes their windsheild and then drives up offering assistance. He then drove them to Norton where he raped and beat them to death with his grandpa's night stick. If anyone deserves to die it is this b*st*rd. Seems to me he has a choice to make. Put himself on a diet or suffer the consequences on execution day. At least he has a choice. Wendy and Dawn did not have a choice or a chance.
Death is just the worst we're technically allowed to do to him. This guy doesn't just deserve to die, he actually deserves to be tortured to death in the most inhumane way possible. If I had my way they'd immolate Cooey's fat ass in a gravel pit, with a can of gas and a road flare. With all that fat for insulation I bet he'd live a good three or four minutes after he lit up.

That's what you do with trash, right? You burn it.

But hey, no matter what happens to him here on Earth, Cooey will have plenty of burning to do.
Mark

Louisville, KY

#50 Aug 25, 2008
If he is too fat and they say he can't be executed because of it, then maybe the prison can put him on a Slim-Fast diet. It worked for Tommy Lasorda.
I have absolutely no sympathy for people who inflict terrible amounts of pain on their victims but then claim it is "cruel and unusual" for them to have to experience the "pain" of a needle stick. The only problem with lethal injection is that it's not painful enough.
Fed up in the Falls

Louisville, KY

#51 Aug 25, 2008
How about the guillotine? I'm sure it works great on fat necks too.
It never ceases to amaze me how depraved scum bags like Cooey think nothing of the terror they inflict on their innocent victims, but when its their time to pay the piper, they whine and cry for mercy.

“Deliver me from thy followers”

Since: Jun 08

Cuyahoga Falls

#52 Aug 25, 2008
Veteran that is Fair wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever get the feeling that the reason a defendant doesn't like the death penalty is because of the solitary confinement?
I always figured that's the reason they fought the DP. You are right on the whole deterrent issue. Doubtful it scares anybody into not committing murder.
My little brother and I go round and round on this issue. He contends that you never execute the murderer, but the man he's become in the years afterward.

I contend that it makes no difference once due process has determined the killer... the death penalty is for the victim, who never got a chance to "change" or to "find Jesus." The day a murderer's victim comes back from the grave to unplug his or her killer's electric chair at the last second, we'll reconsider this whole execution thing. Until then, in the ground you go.

The Chinese simply shoot their condemned in the back with a burst from a Kalashnikov... a cost-effective and humane way to end a life. It might not be as neat and sanitary as lethal injection, but then again I doubt a .308 round is terribly concerned about how obese its target is.
Aixl

Dayton, OH

#53 Aug 25, 2008
<quoted text>
And cheaper for us taxpayers. Isn't there still a state that offers firing squad as an option? Nevada or something like that?
Maybe Utah (thinking of Gary Gilmore)
What

Akron, OH

#54 Aug 25, 2008
YO YO wrote:
Wasnt there a 3rd person involved with this?what ever happened to him.You mean my tax dollars went to this guy to get this damn fat?what a joke,kill him already!!
There was a third person involved. A few days after the crime, Cooey was sitting around a campfire and told a third person what happened. That third person is the one who turned them in to the police.
fromhighschool

Akron, OH

#56 Aug 25, 2008
Cooey is feigning remorse to save his hide, plain and simple. He's not rehabbed. And if your self loathing you would want to be taken out for the attrocities you commited. You wouldnt want to live so much. He thinks only of himself, his food. I was in classes with him.

Its horrible that the familes have had to wait this long for justice.
hippie chick

Youngstown, OH

#57 Aug 25, 2008
Cooey has never shown any remorse for the killings. (at least that i've heard of). He is still blaming Dickens for the murders. It wouldn't surprise me if they gave him another stay of execution.

Since: Mar 07

Danville, CA

#61 Aug 25, 2008
<quoted text>
Now you're talking!
Can you imagine the crowd's reaction when they'd put the hood over his head and the rope around his neck?
THAT is how it should be. That's still how it is in many of the Asian countries.

Since: Mar 07

Danville, CA

#62 Aug 25, 2008
<quoted text>
Now you're talking!
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/overview.h...

Hanging is surprisingly popular these days.

Even the Japanese use it.
CFHS1983

Maple Heights, OH

#63 Aug 25, 2008
AU Alum wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I was 20 when this happened and I remember like it was yesterday. This pathetic excuse of a human being deserves no mercy. He gave none to Dawn or Wendy.
bang bang boom

Akron, OH

#64 Aug 25, 2008
Give me a 12 gauge and I'll take care of the piece of s**t myself.
D Douglas

Akron, OH

#65 Aug 25, 2008
I remember this event vividly. My oldest daughter was only 5 months old. Everytime I drive past Wooster Sheet Metal on Route 261 I think of those beautiful young women and and their tragic deaths. I pray for their mothers who must live in daily anguish. This needs to come to a close for them and justice needs to be served to those young ladies.
I am a Christian, yet I believe in capital punishment when there is absolutely NO DOUBT of guilt. In this case, there is NO DOUBT and Cooey needs to meet his maker once and for all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New college graduates want to live in big cities 16 hr Pale Rider 2
News Member of violent Akron gang sentenced to prison 16 hr Pale Rider 2
News Three charged in connection with Akron gambling... 21 hr Fred Rogers 1
News Man vindicated in 1993 Akron murder charged for... Sun Warden jones 1
News Welcome Stan Piatt Jul 2 Westside Steve 6
News Akron council to select at-large replacement fo... Jul 1 Comma 1
Shawn Ford says he acted in New Franklin slayin... Jul 1 Focylinda Foad 2
More from around the web

Akron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE