Palin swipes at Obama, media

Palin swipes at Obama, media

There are 532 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Sep 4, 2008, titled Palin swipes at Obama, media. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

ST. PAUL, MINN.: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin claimed her historic spot on the Republican ticket Wednesday night, uncorking a smiling, slashing attack on Barack Obama and vowing to help presidential candidate John ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#41 Sep 4, 2008
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
What questions does the national media really ask about Obama? He is an empty suit. Every time he is away from the teleprompters, he stutters, stumbles and changes his answer 3 times. And we all know about his true beliefs through his pastor of 20 YEARS.... and btw, she is only going for VP but is more qualified than obama.
What do you know about her pastor and church? She comes from a fairly radical congregation as well. She believes we are in Iraq on a mission from God. Maybe she watched the Blues Brothers a few too many times.

In a speech she gave in June addressing the graduating class of the Wasilla Assembly of God, she talked about a $30 billion national gas pipeline project that she wanted built in the state and said, "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that."
holdyourhorses

Twinsburg, OH

#42 Sep 4, 2008
Voting for Obama wrote:
Maybe she should take that energy and take care of family, her new baby and keeping track of her teenage daughter who is out acting like a ****. If you can't keep track of your family how are you going to take care of our country. Clearly her energy has been places it shouldn't have been. Maybe her daughter should have taken the classes on how not to get pregnant.
It's outdated, inappropriate sexist opinions like yours that is going to get McCain/Palin elected. Keep up the good work. Obviously, Governor Palin has done a fine job of raising her family and working outside of the home as an executive at the same time just as many other working mothers in this country, with job responsibilities outside of the home are doing, whether at the entry level or CEO.

If her 17 year-old daughter is a,**** whatever that is suppose to represent, then there are an awful lot of young girls in this country who are in the same catagory with or without mothers who work outside of the home. Your commemt is insulting and offensive.

“Put the Kool-Aid down!!”

Since: Jun 08

Torrance, CA

#43 Sep 4, 2008
wow wrote:
She is more ready to be president than obama. Biden better watch out when the debates begin.
Are you really as dumb and ignorant as you imply????
RU Kiddingme

Northfield, OH

#44 Sep 4, 2008
In all honesty, I thought her speech was shrill and hectoring. I also thought her comments were a crass way to repay Obama for the decency his campaign has shown her.
holdyourhorses

Twinsburg, OH

#45 Sep 4, 2008
none wrote:
She may be a great VP but we all know VP don't do anything unless they become President.
"but we all know VP don't do anything unless they become President", not only is your grammar wrong but so is your thinking. Vice Presidents can be and have been very effective during their terms. Governor Palin is obviously not the kind of person to sit back and collect a paycheck for doing nothing.
average American

Philadelphia, PA

#46 Sep 4, 2008
People, wake the F up. Don't let Rove and the GOP make this election about attacks and smear. This election should be about issues confronting this nation and the horrible mess the GOP has gotten us into over the past 8 years. There has not been one discussion from the GOP convention about the issues. Its all the same rhetoric of liberal this and liberal that, all the same old discredited crap. McSame's heart has shrunk 3 and 1/2 times since winning the nomination. Remember this, he is kissing the butts of the same people who swift boated him in 2000 and 2004. Talk about character...

Don't join MacSame and Rove and Palin in the race to the bottom. Stand up and resist this facism. Vote for a real change...

Obama 08
Think about it

Akron, OH

#47 Sep 4, 2008
6th Infantry wrote:
<quoted text>
Because your ignorant i will help u out, NONE of Obama's speeches were written by him, most politicains have speech writers, wrong or right, they do. Obama isnt smart enough to talk like he talks.
You shouldn't call other people dump when you don't know what you are talking about...do your research! Senator Obama WRITES all of his speeches...he is actually inteligent and doesn't need someone to put a sentence together for him...unlike McCain and Palin. Knowledge is power so get some!

“Put the Kool-Aid down!!”

Since: Jun 08

Torrance, CA

#48 Sep 4, 2008
wow wrote:
Hilary is the one who is really sweating now. Palin makes her look like the no experience, riding slick willie's coattails forever, dried up hag that she is.
Again..I plead. Are you as stupid and ignorant as you imply???
Obama Hates Women

Garden Grove, CA

#49 Sep 4, 2008
AFTER WATCHING SARAH PALIN’S SPEECH BEFORE THE RNC LAST NIGHT, IT BECAME APPARENT WHY OBAMA AND THE FAR-LEFT HAS ATTACKED HER LIKE NO ONE BEFORE --- THEY ARE AFRAID OF THIS WOMAN, AND THE EFFECT SHE COULD HAVE ON THE ELECTION

LA Times, September 4, 2008

SARAH! SARAH! SARAH! Gov. Palin wows her national GOP

ST. PAUL -- It was a passionately partisan crowd. Its 20,000+ members were eager to love her. And after recent relentless days of negative stories about Sen. John McCain's pick for a running mate, the Republicans packing the Xcel Energy Center here were feeling besieged by an alien media, as the GOP has for decades.

But tonight for the first time in its more than 16-decade history, the Republican Party nominated a woman vice president, and fell in love with her at the same time.

Whether that translates into enough votes for the John McCain-Sarah Palin ticket to win the White House on Nov. 4 will be decided in the next 61 days of campaigning. But for tonight among her own extensive family and among the GOP family assembled in this graceful old city named for a saint known for patience, Gov. Palin scored a rhetorical hat trick (a term any hockey mom would know).

At least inside the building.
We'll publish the historic speech's entire text below, along with some of our favorite lines.
Palin praised the top of the ticket for his courage and leadership. She vowed they'd reform a national capital that was once a swamp.

She delivered some pretty sharp elbows to the opposition's chin, as she did on the high school basketball court, where her nickname was Sarah Barracuda.

And she presented herself as a determined small-town mom aware of the needs and challenges of real American families.

The 44-year-old Palin had the presence of a former broadcaster, the poise of a former beauty contestant. The down-to-earthiness of a mom with five children, from 19 years old down to 4 months. And the realistic eye of a natural politician who knows the sales appeal of reform and the power of the pause.

And in doing so, Palin won the hearts of the delegates, who were but enthusiastic extras in the television drama transmitted into millions of homes. There, many Americans got their first impression of....
...this governor from a vast, distant land that was purchased from Russia by history's second Republican administration.

In her one ad lib of the evening, Palin drew a resounding roar from the crowd that frequently broke into chants of "Sarah! Sarah! Sarah!" "You know the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?" asked the mother of five, pausing perfectly as the noise died. "Lipstick!"

PRESERVE AMERICA'S GREATNESS
MCCAIN/PALIN 08
In the healthcare field

Strongsville, OH

#50 Sep 4, 2008
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
He does...he never misses a PTA meeting! He is there for his daughters and they are not pregnant!
Now how do you know he never misses a PTA meeting? So he's going to PTA meetings but not able to cast a vote?

Hmm, last I looked his mother was a teenage mother.
Buckeye fan

Dayton, OH

#51 Sep 4, 2008
You could get a anyone to go on stage, read word for word from a teleprompter, and rally the hand picked republican lemmings that were watching last night. Wow, I loved hearing about her involvement in the PTA. The PTA? Are you kidding me? I would love to watch Sen. Bidden be allowed to have a REAL debate with this woman. Unfortunately, that will never happen. If Sen. Bidden is too soft on her, he will look weak and people will say that she's more up to the challenge. If he wipes the floor with her, showing how much of a fraud she is, he will just be labelled as beating up a defenseless woman and it will be used against him. And the whole "maverick" idea is so old. I actually respected McCain 8 years ago when he actually had a fresh look on politics, but since then he has done nothing but side with Bush, the worst and most corrupt administration in the history of this nation. Wake up people! We can't afford a third Bush term!
just plain mad

Akron, OH

#52 Sep 4, 2008
Square Resident wrote:
Seriously, Palin stepping in as President in case something happens to McCain? I can't see it. She frightens me to no end. God help us if they win.
her at #2 is better than obama at #1 any day. and if something happens to golden boy do you really want wacko biden in charge?
ERS

Hammond, IN

#53 Sep 4, 2008
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't call other people dump when you don't know what you are talking about...do your research! Senator Obama WRITES all of his speeches...he is actually inteligent and doesn't need someone to put a sentence together for him...unlike McCain and Palin. Knowledge is power so get some!
Except he doesn't always know where he is: he was in New PHILADELPHIA, OH yesterday, not New PENNSYLVANIA as he stated.
In the healthcare field

Strongsville, OH

#54 Sep 4, 2008
RU Kiddingme wrote:
In all honesty, I thought her speech was shrill and hectoring. I also thought her comments were a crass way to repay Obama for the decency his campaign has shown her.
I think RUKiddingme is kidding us
ERS

Hammond, IN

#55 Sep 4, 2008
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
He does...he never misses a PTA meeting! He is there for his daughters and they are not pregnant!
And he votes present at every meeting.

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#56 Sep 4, 2008
In the healthcare field wrote:
<quoted text>
Now how do you know he never misses a PTA meeting? So he's going to PTA meetings but not able to cast a vote?
Hmm, last I looked his mother was a teenage mother.
Yes, his mother was 18 when she had him. And, in case you didn't notice, that is exactly what he pointed out when he came out and defended Palin's daughter. He took the high road and said that talking about Palin's family, especially her kids, was way over the line.
The Voice of Reason

Tulsa, OK

#57 Sep 4, 2008
Voting for Obama wrote:
Maybe she should take that energy and take care of family, her new baby and keeping track of her teenage daughter who is out acting like a ****. If you can't keep track of your family how are you going to take care of our country. Clearly her energy has been places it shouldn't have been. Maybe her daughter should have taken the classes on how not to get pregnant.
We all felt that way about Bill Clinton when he was whoring around with god knows who. Apparently you are just upset that this woman dropped Obama to his knees. Her comment "It's funny that Obama has written 2 memories since taking office but has yetr to write a piece of legislation" really sums up the democratic candidate. I would say her speech last night was a slam dunk.

Can we say CHECK MATE !!!!!!
John

Pembroke, MA

#58 Sep 4, 2008
Voting for Obama wrote:
go crawl back in your cave. Obama's mom had him when she was 18 you ignorant hypocrite.
Locke

Akron, OH

#59 Sep 4, 2008
On The Fence wrote:
I am still not sure who I am going to vote for, but after hearing her last night, I was not impressed. In fact, I kept asking "How old are you again? 12 or 13?"
Someone used an example of someone running for middle school class president. That example could not be more spot-on. I heard tons of, actually I heard NOTHING BUT, smack and that was it. If there is a REAL problem in our world, I guess some will have confidence that she can talk a good game and call names. Yeah. That'll get it done.(Sarcasm off).
Palin has no room to talk since she's already been called out for some very recent inconsistencies on what she has said compared to her record. She had her chance to really show us what she is about and where she stands and, I for one, was not impressed. That's because I am not into the juvenile antics of politics. These g-damn politicians better grow the hell up and start addressing ISSUES!!
She -- and others -- better start to get it through their clueless skulls that the election is less than 2 months away. THis is one of the most important elections in recent memory because so many Americans are dealing with so many important issues. Significantly more than just 4 years ago. It didn't help that all day Monday, tow-the-line Republicans were going overboard with this "we're putting on our American hats" crap.
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! Talk about a turn-off, not to mention being very stupid. There are alot of undecided voters out there who, like me, are still undecided.
IMO, she didn't help her -- or John McCain's cause. And I can careless what die-hard Republicans think because they are biased and refuse to admit things need to be fixed.
You miss the idea that both conventions are designed to energize and inspire their respective party members for the home stretch of the election. Cheerleading is expected and makes the event fun for those in attendance.

The substance you claim to look for is in the platform on which the parties debate that outlines their ideals and plans for governance.

I hope and expect you will get plenty of specifics from the republican ticket; while you'll get more rhetoric and imagery from the democrats. That has changed little since the end of the Kennedy era.

You truly don't sound undecided, because you could "careless about what die-hard republicans think". You might be surprised to learn that we have been disappointed in the last 8 years as well.

IMO, The party strayed away from fiscal conservatism, and lost its identity and focus on what makes the country great.

The congress is actually responsible for more of our ills than the executive branch. Always has been, always will.

What you saw last night was something that has been missing for a long time - LEADERSHIP. I've never been a huge McCain fan, but he is surrounding himself with great people, and should be credited for that.

We recognize that change is needed just as much as Democrats do. The trick is to make sure the change is positive and grounded in sound economic and social principles.

In any event, the differences will make the debates fun to watch!
just plain mad

Akron, OH

#60 Sep 4, 2008
holdyourhorses wrote:
<quoted text>
"but we all know VP don't do anything unless they become President", not only is your grammar wrong but so is your thinking. Vice Presidents can be and have been very effective during their terms. Governor Palin is obviously not the kind of person to sit back and collect a paycheck for doing nothing.
be careful everybody, the grammer patrol is out today. spelling, punctuation, and grammer has to be perfectly correct for you to make your point! if not, our english teacher here will be sure to point it out! i guess you forgot that hold your horses is 3 words, not 1.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New film in Dayton Mon willmac235brn 1
Cuyahoga Falls Music Emporium (Oct '12) Sun Musikologist 14
News Akron-Beacon Reporter Accused of Touching Teen (Jun '10) Sep 24 need 45
News Akron police search for shooter in fatal 2015 g... Sep 21 Walkin Boss 1
News News The Latest: Sanders urges turned-off voter... Sep 18 No on Hillary 7
Richard Michael Posey Sep 17 none ya 1
Richard Michael Posey Sep 17 none ya 1

Akron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance