cavs season pierced

cavs season pierced

There are 87 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 18, 2008, titled cavs season pierced. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Published on Monday, May 19, 2008 BOSTON: Memories and regrets - it will be a long summer full of them for the Cavaliers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bob in Sacramento

Fair Oaks, CA

#1 May 18, 2008
Hate to beat a dead horse, but this game was lost when the Cavs scored 13 points in the first quarter. During the TV break, Brown was asked what they needed to do better. "Box out on the boards," he said. Of course.

The downside to having a player as great as LeBron (the only downside) is that his great individual offensive skills help to mask Brown's ineptitude when devising an offensive game plan. Yes, he's a good defensive coach and would make a great assistant somewhere. Maybe he should start looking...
Dr Doom

Kansas City, MO

#2 May 18, 2008
From ESPN.com :

" The Cavs were trailing 29-23 with 7:20 left in the second quarter when coach Mike Brown subbed out both Zydrunas Ilgauskas and James, leaving an offense-poor lineup to face a Boston five that included Pierce and Garnett. The Celtics quickly took advantage with Garnett assisting a wide-open James Posey for a corner three to launch a brief but significant 7-0 run. James went back to the scorer's table with 6:31 left, but by the time he touched the ball again, his Cavs had a 12-point deficit (35-23) from which they never recovered."

In both series, Brown experimented with lineups that lacked a legitimte scoring threat... and EVERY TIME it led to a mini-run that either squashed momentum, or buried the Cavs in too deep a hole to climb out of.

That said, when Delonte's wide-open (and well-diagramed) 3 pointer rims out, then PJ Brown promptly knocks down a 20 foot jumper...
The writing's on the wall.

Great effort today.
Bad season overall.
Righty Whiteman

Avon Lake, OH

#3 May 19, 2008
So how does that effect me?
Kevin

Cleveland, OH

#4 May 19, 2008
If as you say "the Cavs, and especially LeBron James, put forth a mighty effort", the result would have been a win. They just collapsed, with a sore loser like LeBron walking head hung low to the locker room. They need to get rid of Mike Brown.

Since: Feb 08

Akron, OH

#5 May 19, 2008
Kevin wrote:
They just collapsed, with a sore loser like LeBron walking head hung low to the locker room.
How is he a sore loser? He did not do anything to deserve that title.
Old Man Grump

Akron, OH

#6 May 19, 2008
The Cavs were simply out classed on offense & defense. The mighty THREE out played the mighty ONE in this game. The outcome is just as everyone predicted it would be. Hopefully, Danny Ferry will find a way to add another all star quality player for next season to go with the BIG TRADE players to help LeBron next season.

Thanks for another fun season Cavs. See you in the fall.

Go Cavs in the 2008-2009 season !!!!
realist

Akron, OH

#7 May 19, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
The Cavs were simply out classed on offense & defense. The mighty THREE out played the mighty ONE in this game. The outcome is just as everyone predicted it would be. Hopefully, Danny Ferry will find a way to add another all star quality player for next season to go with the BIG TRADE players to help LeBron next season.
Thanks for another fun season Cavs. See you in the fall.
Go Cavs in the 2008-2009 season !!!!
Same old boring story - Wait till next year.
RPB

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 May 19, 2008
The best way to summarize yesterday's game, and the season as a whole is that it was extremely frustrating. The Cavs showed signs of being a contending team at times this season, but could never quite put it all together.

From the hold-outs and injuries, the lackluster effort during the regular season, the pathetic offense that Mike Brown refuses to address, to yesterday's nail-biter.... Frustrating!

Danny Ferry has some work to do. I would love to see him get rid of a couple of those expiring contracts (Snow, AV to name a couple) and try to get someone like Baron Davis. If they simply stand pat, with the current roster, and Mike Brown refuses to get help with the offense, we will see much of the same next year.

I hope that the players learn one thing from the series with the Celtics. The regular season does matter! Every game! The Celtics worked all year to get the best record so that they could have home court in the playoffs. Look how important that has been!

Go Cavs!
Paul

Warren, OH

#9 May 19, 2008
Boston had the best record in the NBA for a reason. The Cavs gave it a great effort, but the talent despairity was just too much to overcome. The Cavs had a chance but Boston stepped up when it had to.

We need to go after Shawn Marion and Etan Thomas. Marion for obvious reasons and Thomas to give six fouls and knock Pierce, Garnett and Rondo on their a$$es when they drive to the basket.
Brutus

Mantua, OH

#10 May 19, 2008
Kevin wrote:
If as you say "the Cavs, and especially LeBron James, put forth a mighty effort", the result would have been a win. They just collapsed, with a sore loser like LeBron walking head hung low to the locker room. They need to get rid of Mike Brown.
Sore loser ? Maybe you're happier with Wally who contributed ZERO yesterday but was all smiles with Pierce seconds after the game was over . The only players who showed any will to win were West and Smith along with LBJ .
Celtic

Corry, PA

#11 May 19, 2008
Ok Danny, you've got one more shot.
This is the off season you must make good decisions.
Can you do it?
We are all witnesses!
ramon

Canton, OH

#12 May 19, 2008
Gain Some Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
How is he a sore loser? He did not do anything to deserve that title.
I believe had The Cavs won their star players would have shook LBJ's hand and said great game. LBJ should have done the same thing and shown them some respect at game's end.
pete

Dayton, OH

#13 May 19, 2008
One TV anouncer said the Celtics were a better team and more tallented...but this in not true....The Boston Celtics played well and worked harder all year and came up with more wins, and got the home court advantage and that beat the Hawks and the Cavaliers...they deserve the wins, but not the best basketball team award...I do not see much difference in the tallent and strength of the Celtics and the Cavs..
hdawg

Mamaroneck, NY

#14 May 19, 2008
Look, the offense looks like crap because you have one offensive player. It's not Mike Brown's fault when you have Lebron and a bunch of role players. Z can shoot the ball, but that's it. Mike Brown isn't going anywhere, he's just the convenient excuse.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#15 May 19, 2008
RPB wrote:
The best way to summarize yesterday's game, and the season as a whole is that it was extremely frustrating. The Cavs showed signs of being a contending team at times this season, but could never quite put it all together.
From the hold-outs and injuries, the lackluster effort during the regular season, the pathetic offense that Mike Brown refuses to address, to yesterday's nail-biter.... Frustrating!
Danny Ferry has some work to do. I would love to see him get rid of a couple of those expiring contracts (Snow, AV to name a couple) and try to get someone like Baron Davis. If they simply stand pat, with the current roster, and Mike Brown refuses to get help with the offense, we will see much of the same next year.
I hope that the players learn one thing from the series with the Celtics. The regular season does matter! Every game! The Celtics worked all year to get the best record so that they could have home court in the playoffs. Look how important that has been!
Go Cavs!
They're two players, a point guard and a second scorer, away from being a true title contender. Oh yeah, and a new offensive system. It can not be a coincidence that all the players that have marched through Brown's system have had a hard time scoring. I've never seen a team unable to execute screens, pick-and-rolls and the like, so poorly as this team. It is a Brown trademark. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here. This is the most important off-season in Cleveland sports history. Can wait to see the changes.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#16 May 19, 2008
hdawg wrote:
Look, the offense looks like crap because you have one offensive player. It's not Mike Brown's fault when you have Lebron and a bunch of role players. Z can shoot the ball, but that's it. Mike Brown isn't going anywhere, he's just the convenient excuse.
Now we have to watch another team with offensive woes. If you have a terminal illness go to an Indian's game, it will feel like a lifetime.
Maryland Fan

Woodbridge, VA

#17 May 19, 2008
Ramon,

Read LeBron's post-game comments. You will never see a more gracious tip-of-the-hat to an opponent.
KBADM11

United States

#18 May 19, 2008
SOS - same old sheeet! When the game is on line Cleveland always finds a way to be Cleveland - missed free throws, missed wide arse open shots, get out hustled to the ball. This team needs an infusion of talent and I'm not sure they will have the money to get it. They will get a few players but as always there will be a hitch to the acquisition(s), we never get a legitimate all star in their prime. I can see LeBron leaving at the end of his contract - he has been here 5 years and we have still not put people around him good enough to win championships.
Moron Spotter

Cleveland, OH

#20 May 19, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
The mighty THREE out played the mighty ONE in this game.
And even more proof you are completely ignorant -- actually brain dead -- when it comes to sports. But yet, you take pride in your stupidity by continuously showing it.
Moron Spotter

Cleveland, OH

#21 May 19, 2008
KBADM11 wrote:
I can see LeBron leaving at the end of his contract - he has been here 5 years and we have still not put people around him good enough to win championships.
And I can see that happening and wouldn't blame him one bit. But then you'll have the typical morons in this town bashing LeBron for leaving, saying he should always be here blah blah blah. Like everyone wants to stay in this loser town and state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Akron police investigating fatal shooting at ga... 7 hr Walkin Boss 1
News Akron man accused of drunken hit-skip of motorc... 7 hr Walkin Boss 1
News Akron man accused of dragging naked Cuyahoga Fa... 16 hr wow 1
News Akron police shoot suspected shooter in ear Sun Stan Berdan 1
News One charged in fatal Akron gas station shootout Sun Stan Berdan 1
Casual encounters Sat Teaser42 3
News Lumbar Matrix(TM) Scan From SpineMatrix(R) Revo... (Jun '09) Jul 31 DrKarlStalin 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Akron Mortgages