UA food fee leaves bad taste

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

When Wally McGilvray spent $1,850 for a meal plan for her son at the University of Akron this fall, she expected all the money to be available for his food.
Comments
21 - 40 of 177 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2008

Since: Feb 08

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Try It Again wrote:
Just another way for UA to ripoff students from more of their monies. The cost of college & administration fees has reached the breaking point where many students can't afford to pay any more. Until the number of students starts to decline, nothing will change.
The fees have always existed. They are just being more open about them so that you know how your money is used. In the past you paid your food bill but did not know the breakdown. they should just go back to the old way of not letting people know since all they do is complain.

“I'm just saying...”

Since: Jul 08

Orrville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Lets see...21 meals a week for 16 weeks...for just $1850. That comes to 336 meals. Cost per meal of $5.51 per meal...breakfast lunch or dinner.

Maybe the solution is for the University to take away the privilage of eating some place other than the dining hall. Do people really think that $5.51 per meal is unreasonable? Wow...
nail on the head

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Thinking out Loud 2 wrote:
SIGH....I'm getting so tired of the Beacon writing articles critical of the University of Akron for doing what most other universities and colleges do. Can it be that someone there just hates UA?
I don't get it. A growing university in Akron that is working to make the city better...and the Beacon needs a weekly story about whats wrong there. How about a few positive stories? Or is there no one left there who knows how to be positive?
I totally agree. I am also tired of the Beacon Urinal trashing UA on a daily basis. The ABJ is no better than the National Enquirer.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Hmmm, must be a slow news day for the ABJ. This is a nuthin' article. Any-buddy who can add, can see that the cost per meal is within' reasonable limits.

Mebbe it would be better iff'n Akron U jes' incorporates the cost of doin' business in the price of the meals and do away with the administrative costs.

Of course, the students have to eat there for that idea to fly. I'm assumin' that not enough of them do, therefore the fees.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

I H8 MORONS wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's greed because they're charging you for the convenience to eat anywhere you want -- on OR off-campus? You're a PURE idiot.
And a student should have to pay Akron U for the "convenience" to eat off campus? You gotta be kidding. What entitles AU to gouge money out of a student so they can eat where they please any more than one's employer charging a "convenience fee" to eat off the job site?

As for that "convenience fee", even Ticketmaster isn't gouging their customers that badly. Not to mention no one is forcing you to buy a ticket to the game/performance/whatever, but signing up for one of their meal plans is mandatory at AU.
RooU

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Gougee from the past wrote:
You can sure tell by the postings, which ones work for Akron U.
Yes, you can tell because we call it the UNIVERSITY OF AKRON. Not Akron U.
I H8 MORONS

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
And a student should have to pay Akron U for the "convenience" to eat off campus? You gotta be kidding. What entitles AU to gouge money out of a student so they can eat where they please any more than one's employer charging a "convenience fee" to eat off the job site?
And you continue to prove how stupid you are, hence your job. College students usually are low on cash. You're obviously THAT stupid that you don't realize this is sort of like a pre-paid debit card that they can use off-campus. Again, it's a "convenience." But you -- and the other morons -- are too stupid to realize it. Now, back to your low-level "city" job moron.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Looks like this article confirms what AU is really about---the money and not the education. Let's see---a $450(25%) admin charge on a mandatory food fee, a mandatory "transportation/parking " fee (that you have to pay even if you carpool) with them selling 50% more parking permits than spaces, trying to avoid paying market prices for property they want to take from people, etc, etc.

Looks like it's "get the money anyway we can".
options

Ada, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Can someone say "options"? Obviously not if your writing for the BJ. This student is paying a fee for options. He gets Thai food for God's sake...

Since: Oct 07

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Hmmm. First Akron U pikes students for a "transportation fee" for everyone whether or not they have a parking permit (which IMO is useful as t*** on a bull given they oversubscribe their parking)- now they're piking their students who sign up for meal plans. The University needs to cut some of its "fat" in its administrative costs before nickling and diming its students.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

I H8 MORONS wrote:
<quoted text>
And you continue to prove how stupid you are, hence your job. College students usually are low on cash. You're obviously THAT stupid that you don't realize this is sort of like a pre-paid debit card that they can use off-campus. Again, it's a "convenience." But you -- and the other morons -- are too stupid to realize it. Now, back to your low-level "city" job moron.
It may be a "convenience" to you but I don't think too many others(except the Akron U lackeys who are paid to defend the gouge)would agree paying $450 so they can eat at place A or place B is anything but legalized theft.

Obviously, like is the usual case, your argument is so weak that you have to fill up the rest of your post with insults.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

options wrote:
Can someone say "options"? Obviously not if your writing for the BJ. This student is paying a fee for options. He gets Thai food for God's sake...
Yeah, and all sorts of other specialty & gourmet food (at any hour of the day or night), per the article. Is that really necessary? Does AU need to offer a huge menu 24/7? I think not. How about the "full" menu from 6AM-midnight and a lesser one those other times? Bet that would bring the cost down.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Vanilla Cokehead wrote:
Hmmm. First Akron U pikes students for a "transportation fee" for everyone whether or not they have a parking permit (which IMO is useful as t*** on a bull given they oversubscribe their parking)- now they're piking their students who sign up for meal plans. The University needs to cut some of its "fat" in its administrative costs before nickling and diming its students.
Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about the money--not the education. Maybe instead of Akron University, it can use an this old name: Bank of Akron
Ak-Rowdy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
As for that "convenience fee", even Ticketmaster isn't gouging their customers that badly. Not to mention no one is forcing you to buy a ticket to the game/performance/whatever, but signing up for one of their meal plans is mandatory at AU.
Yes, but you do not have to sign up for the high end meal plan.

“"It is what it is..."”

Since: Dec 07

Akron, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Thinking out Loud 2 wrote:
Lets see...21 meals a week for 16 weeks...for just $1850. That comes to 336 meals. Cost per meal of $5.51 per meal...breakfast lunch or dinner.
Maybe the solution is for the University to take away the privilage of eating some place other than the dining hall. Do people really think that $5.51 per meal is unreasonable? Wow...
I dont think that is unreasonable at all. I pay $10 a day to eat at work so that is about a thousand dollars a year....
moi

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

People who eat alot there have to have there meals subsidized. Alex A., for example. Oink .. Oink
Tired of it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about the money--not the education. Maybe instead of Akron University, it can use an this old name: Bank of Akron
Remember, these students chose the University of Akron, and if a student is chosen by the University it wouldn't matter anyway because they would receive a scholarship. I don't understand why parents/students make a decision then complain about it later like it wasn't their fault. Chosing a college is a huge decision for both the student and the parent. For a parent to complain about the "extra" fees is ridiculous. Everyone that knows anything about going to college is there are always "extra" fees, no matter what school you go to. Just like H8 Morons said, there are choices one can make when it comes to meal plans. Obviously these people made the wrong one because they are now complaining about it. Typical America today, people not taking responsibility for their own actions.
Educated Poster

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
It may be a "convenience" to you but I don't think too many others(except the Akron U lackeys who are paid to defend the gouge)would agree paying $450 so they can eat at place A or place B is anything but legalized theft.
It's not "legalized theft". There are other plans that provide the option of eating strictly on campus. Unless this parent had a gun to their head, the parent should have done more research before signing up for the MOST EXPENSIVE plan. There are off-campus places that do not have to participate, as well.

As usual, people like you refuse to look at the bigger scheme of things. But then again, people like you never went to college, hence the "intelligence" of your remarks.
Educated Poster

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and all sorts of other specialty & gourmet food (at any hour of the day or night), per the article. Is that really necessary? Does AU need to offer a huge menu 24/7? I think not. How about the "full" menu from 6AM-midnight and a lesser one those other times? Bet that would bring the cost down.
And more proof you never went to college nor are very educated. You seem to forget that there are thousands that live ON CAMPUS. This is who this caters to. What's a student to do when they are hungry at 11pm after night classes? Go off-campus? OH. They don't have a car. The university is catering to its' customers -- the student who lives on campus.

And since you never went to college, you can't relate.
Educated Poster

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see the 2 uneducated posters agreeing with each other: City Worker and Vanilla Cokehead.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 6 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,470
WMD's Hey Tyree Guess What they Found? 2 hr Undercover Bro 5
Hoops star LeBron helps renovate Akron home Tue Dindu Nufffins 2
Crisis of Truth Chgo Thugs at work Tue Dindu Nufffins 8
Does Akron still suck? (Sep '08) Tue Dindu Nufffins 214
Trustee charge dropped (Apr '08) Tue Louis Nanez 13
whats the verdict on Dr.Bressi Tue Get real 5
•••
•••
Akron Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••