UA food fee leaves bad taste

When Wally McGilvray spent $1,850 for a meal plan for her son at the University of Akron this fall, she expected all the money to be available for his food. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Kent Chipottle

Norwalk, OH

#1 Sep 1, 2008
pepto not included.
Mary Jane Man

Brunswick, OH

#2 Sep 1, 2008
Just another way to screw the students out of their money and give it to the college president.
UA Alumn

Willoughby, OH

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Compared to other schools that's a reasonable fee.
UA just renovated their cafeteria and it is beyond nice with plenty of options (variety of foods to choose from for the students.)
They now have professional cooks. The angry parent is reaching on this one. My old girlfriend is a RA at Kent State. Kent State Univ doesn't even have a traditional cafeteria. In their dining areas the students have to pay for every food item individually and not the meal as a whole. Many students run out of money on their meal plan by mid term week.
akronjoe

Akron, OH

#4 Sep 1, 2008
Pure GREED....Tell the truth up front, BEFORE YOU PAY...Next will they have to buy a PSL for the right to sit in a seat in class.

“I'm just saying...”

Since: Jul 08

Orrville

#5 Sep 1, 2008
SIGH....I'm getting so tired of the Beacon writing articles critical of the University of Akron for doing what most other universities and colleges do. Can it be that someone there just hates UA?

I don't get it. A growing university in Akron that is working to make the city better...and the Beacon needs a weekly story about whats wrong there. How about a few positive stories? Or is there no one left there who knows how to be positive?
I love the Plain Dealer

Cleveland, OH

#6 Sep 1, 2008
The Beacon journal is a rag, at best. Why doesn't someone tour the U of A and write about all the wonderful new buildings and dorms, and the thousands of trees they have planted. The University has been transformed in the last decade and we have to read amateurish articles about fees. No wonder Terry Pluto left. Next item on the renovation of downtown Akron: tear down the BJ Building.
Food

Norwalk, OH

#7 Sep 1, 2008
Fight
Viet Nam Vet

Uniontown, OH

#8 Sep 2, 2008
The students have to pay for electricity in their food bill? Im glad the Beacon is writing about it. Everyone has a right to know whats going on. I went to Akron U. in the 1960s at $15.00 a credit hour. I had a part time job paying $1.15 an hour. I bought a parking pass but never could use it because the lots were always full. I had to fight for off street parking with my pass in the window. Some things never change, only the price.
I am me

Salem, OH

#9 Sep 2, 2008
The Universities are like the banks they have a "director" or "Vice-President" of every possible function they can think of. Why is it not in the price of the product for adminstrative/expenses. Just another example of why ohio lags in the number of advanced degrees, were getting priced out of it.
BeBop

AOL

#10 Sep 2, 2008
Momma is struggling to pay for son's books and tuition??? Get son out working, then if he opts not to utilize the meal plan then it's his money. Stop cuddling the kid!!
And another thing

Akron, OH

#11 Sep 2, 2008
What we should be concerned about here is the fact that UA buys all of it's food on a no-bid contract from a privately held out of state company. This company owns a buying group to which only it belongs so no other company, say one that supports Ohio with tax dollars, can bid on that business.
Mars

Stow, OH

#14 Sep 2, 2008
Having your parents pay for college. Why didn't I think of that? Then I wouldn't have had to join the Army during a war to get the GI Bill.
Ak-Rowdy

United States

#16 Sep 2, 2008
"The Gold Plan — the most costly of the university's five options for on-campus students"

If you are struggling to pay this, I would first suggest that you do not purchase the most expensive dining plan.
jinxer

Lorain, OH

#18 Sep 2, 2008
Where this money, in reality, is usually going is to some 'food services administrator' making 6 figures a year.

What can I say, the rich get richer.

Since: Jan 08

Akron

#19 Sep 2, 2008
or mommy could just throw the 1500 at her baby and he could blow through it in 2 weeks and starve for the rest of the semester...

the costs between the university and the local shops account for most of that fee, i'm sure...this is another non-story for someone to vent their spleen.
Try It Again

Akron, OH

#20 Sep 2, 2008
Just another way for UA to ripoff students from more of their monies. The cost of college & administration fees has reached the breaking point where many students can't afford to pay any more. Until the number of students starts to decline, nothing will change.

Is this how you want your Akron sewer money to be spent at UA, on administration? I strongly suggest you vote NO on the sewer lease proposal from Mayor DP.
Major Pain

Hudson, OH

#21 Sep 2, 2008
You can pay 15k at U of A a year for an education or 50k at a private university. Take your pick, it's a free world. As the saying goes, there is no free lunch.

My advice, kids stuy hard anc get a scholarship and help your parents save money.
Gougee from the past

Uniontown, OH

#22 Sep 2, 2008
You can sure tell by the postings, which ones work for Akron U.
Tired of it

United States

#23 Sep 2, 2008
Thinking out Loud 2 wrote:
SIGH....I'm getting so tired of the Beacon writing articles critical of the University of Akron for doing what most other universities and colleges do. Can it be that someone there just hates UA?
I don't get it. A growing university in Akron that is working to make the city better...and the Beacon needs a weekly story about whats wrong there. How about a few positive stories? Or is there no one left there who knows how to be positive?
I agree. The Journal aleays reported poorly on UA when I went there as well. As for the price of the gold plan I see no problem with it. It clearly states in the srticle that they prepare enough food everyday for everyone who has a meal plan. Let's just say there are 5,000 plans out there. What would happen if only 4,000 showed up and the dining hall and the rest went off campus? That would be enough food wasted to feed 1,000 students. Let me guess, the university is supposed to eat the loss correct? UA might be a state school, but it is still in business to make money, not lose money. Many people forget that it is a business, nothing in life is free.
Soulman

Akron, OH

#24 Sep 2, 2008
Another rip off by Akron U. Why do they call it an administrative fee when it pays for electricity and other things. Just an excuse to extort money from people. I think they should be up-front about these fees at least. I would bet they could get by with a $50 fee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr none 31,215
Low-cost pet sterilization available across NE ... 16 hr Baron Von Rashke 3
"Wimperor" Obama 17 hr Southpark 14
Rand Paul rips obama a new one 18 hr Southpark 4
Supreme Court and ZERO" Sep 20 tim 13
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
IF SHAKESPEARE WERE A republican…. Sep 19 faker mikie 7
•••
•••
Akron Dating