Coffee Coffee Coffee
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Tampa, FL

#1 Feb 17, 2009
Has anyone else noticed that coffee is not as good any longer?
Quality of coffee isn't as good (no matter what kind)
Isn't as strong (no matter how much you put in)
Have to use twice as much.
I went back to using my perculator where it boils the water scalding hot, yet still doesn't even compare to the coffee I used to get. I have used eight o'clock, maxwell house, folgers... it doesn't matter what brand, it just isn't very good any longer.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 17, 2009
ustaxpayer wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that coffee is not as good any longer?
Quality of coffee isn't as good (no matter what kind)
Isn't as strong (no matter how much you put in)
Have to use twice as much.
I went back to using my perculator where it boils the water scalding hot, yet still doesn't even compare to the coffee I used to get. I have used eight o'clock, maxwell house, folgers... it doesn't matter what brand, it just isn't very good any longer.
Recommendation:

quit buying crap coffee and you'll stop drinking crap coffee.

spend a dollar or two more and get a good whole bean coffee. grind it yourself just before brewing. Grind it finely to expose more surface area of the ground bean (just a click or two above 'espresso'). Use a natural paper filter built for your machine. use good bottled water (assuming you're using Akron algae-filled water, which will kill the flavor of a good coffee).

if that doesn't work, we can always step back a month or two and scream "IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT."

“Stupidity should be painful”

Since: Jun 08

Akron Area

#3 Feb 17, 2009
We found the same thing with coffee. Starbucks regular coffee seems to have a strong bitter after taste. We've been doing Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's much cheaper to buy a 5# bag of beans direct and have it shipped to you. You can set up delivery times and quantities to fit your particular lifestyle. We get a 5# bag every three weeks.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/

...sjt
Appraisit

Barberton, OH

#4 Feb 17, 2009
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
<quoted text>
Recommendation:
quit buying crap coffee and you'll stop drinking crap coffee.
spend a dollar or two more and get a good whole bean coffee. grind it yourself just before brewing. Grind it finely to expose more surface area of the ground bean (just a click or two above 'espresso'). Use a natural paper filter built for your machine. use good bottled water (assuming you're using Akron algae-filled water, which will kill the flavor of a good coffee).
if that doesn't work, we can always step back a month or two and scream "IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT."
Now that's funny....and sound advice....
LITTLE TYREE

United States

#5 Feb 17, 2009
We add a "pinch of salt"...= Navy Coffee....it will put hair on your chest!

Pensacola Naval Air Station
Bluefly

Rocky River, OH

#6 Feb 17, 2009
We use Folgers Instant at the salon. No one complains. We don't drink coffee at home, so I don't know what's good and what's not.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7 Feb 17, 2009
LITTLE TYREE wrote:
I remember the WWII and Korea vets at the factory I used to work at doing that. They swore by it.
Bluefly

Rocky River, OH

#8 Feb 17, 2009
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the WWII and Korea vets at the factory I used to work at doing that. They swore by it.
I remember my grandmother doing that. I think she also put egg shells in the coffee grounds.
hunky77

Akron, OH

#9 Feb 17, 2009
Bluefly wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember my grandmother doing that. I think she also put egg shells in the coffee grounds.
My grandma put coffee grounds and egg shells in the garden. I also learned to put a pinch of salt in coffee too.
Caffeine is poison to my arteries but my family loves dunkin donut coffee from Sam's club.

the REAL action

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#10 Feb 17, 2009
aww hunky it takes me a pot of coffee to face the world used to take a joint of POT lol(@@)
anonymous1

Clinton, OH

#11 Feb 17, 2009
San Jose Transplant wrote:
We found the same thing with coffee. Starbucks regular coffee seems to have a strong bitter after taste. We've been doing Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's much cheaper to buy a 5# bag of beans direct and have it shipped to you. You can set up delivery times and quantities to fit your particular lifestyle. We get a 5# bag every three weeks.
https://www.dunkindonuts.com/
...sjt
My recommendation is similar to Scooter's but I would suggest that you try a bean grown in volcanic soil.

My preferred brew is Hawaiian Peaberry. I can only find it at the World Store on Rt. 18 near I-77 but I do know of one local roaster with that blend too. It's a dark roast but very low in bitterness. I like to combine it with a touch of "Sugar-in-the-Raw" which still has a touch of molasses taste about it and a small amount of creamer.

ANY coffee is better if fresh ground but if you don't like paying Starbucks prices, I still like 8 O'Clock Bean as a bargain brand.
anonymous1

Clinton, OH

#12 Feb 17, 2009
LITTLE TYREE wrote:
Gag! Five Gallon, Army-green-can swill!

If you're a chief whose sole purpose is to be a coffee mug holder and hat rack, blocking a crowded corridor, I suppose that makes sense.(About as much as the notion that cleaning a coffee cup ruins the flavor, which a lot of squids claim!)

When I was in Med-Fleet, we'd always go into town and stock up on Kimbo rather than endure military issue crud.

Akron Area

#13 Feb 17, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My recommendation is similar to Scooter's but I would suggest that you try a bean grown in volcanic soil.
My preferred brew is Hawaiian Peaberry. I can only find it at the World Store on Rt. 18 near I-77 but I do know of one local roaster with that blend too. It's a dark roast but very low in bitterness. I like to combine it with a touch of "Sugar-in-the-Raw" which still has a touch of molasses taste about it and a small amount of creamer.
ANY coffee is better if fresh ground but if you don't like paying Starbucks prices, I still like 8 O'Clock Bean as a bargain brand.
I think it was 8 o'clock that was recently voted the best in a nationwide poll.

We grind our beans by the pot and there is a huge difference in test. I agree with your choice of Hawaiian Peaberry. There was a really good after dinner coffee (hell, it was good any ol time) at Susan's Coffee in Kent. I believe it was called Carribean Nights. They tend to change the name with holidays/seasons, but if you asked for it by this name, they'll know.

I've heard of "sugar in the raw", but I don't use sugar in my coffee. Does it make it sweet like sugar does?

Seriously, for a plain old well-balanced and rounded cup of java, try the dunkin donuts beans. Very smooth.

Thanks for your suggestions...sjt
anonymous1

Clinton, OH

#14 Feb 17, 2009
Bluefly wrote:
We use Folgers Instant at the salon. No one complains. We don't drink coffee at home, so I don't know what's good and what's not.
Folger's tastes like it's secret ingredient is soap! Instant? Gag!

American coffee is too diluted to appreciate the subtleties anyway. Try a good, authentic cappuccino in the morning. Frothing the milk is a bit of an art but a cappuccino with a bit of foamed milk and a sprinkle of cocoa is like breakfast candy.

You aren't supposed to endure the flavor. You either enjoy it or you don't. If you like it, it's a good coffee. There's nothing to learn.
anonymous1

Clinton, OH

#15 Feb 17, 2009
San Jose Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was 8 o'clock that was recently voted the best in a nationwide poll.
We grind our beans by the pot and there is a huge difference in test. I agree with your choice of Hawaiian Peaberry. There was a really good after dinner coffee (hell, it was good any ol time) at Susan's Coffee in Kent. I believe it was called Carribean Nights. They tend to change the name with holidays/seasons, but if you asked for it by this name, they'll know.
I've heard of "sugar in the raw", but I don't use sugar in my coffee. Does it make it sweet like sugar does?
Seriously, for a plain old well-balanced and rounded cup of java, try the dunkin donuts beans. Very smooth.
Thanks for your suggestions...sjt
Sugar in the raw is plain old cane sugar. It just isn't completely refined to take away the molasses taste. It's more or less the same as the difference between dark rum and light rum.

Susan's is the one place I know makes peaberry too but I don't know where it's vended other than the one store in Kent which I've never been to. They also had an interesting brew I liked called "Out of Africa" which is from Robusto beans, very strong both in caffeine and taste. I'm used to expresso style coffee so it's no big thing to me.
Daughter of a policeman

Akron, OH

#16 Feb 17, 2009
I have noticed a difference in coffee. We have used Maxwell House at home for years and always liked it but leately I've noticed it tastes kind of bitter to me for some reason.

I have tried wtih egg shells bbut not for a long time; maybe will again.
I love my coffee just plain black; no frills

Since: Nov 08

Tampa, FL

#17 Feb 17, 2009
Thanks to eveyone for their coffee suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Akron Area

#18 Feb 17, 2009
Daughter of a policeman wrote:
I have noticed a difference in coffee. We have used Maxwell House at home for years and always liked it but leately I've noticed it tastes kind of bitter to me for some reason.
I have tried wtih egg shells bbut not for a long time; maybe will again.
I love my coffee just plain black; no frills
For everyday coffee, I was a staunch user of Maxwell House. I could tell immediately if it was something different. After have various coffees on experimentation out here, I couldn't even drink MH. Taste like the beans had been stored in garbage before they ground them down.

Tried Dunkin' in a 1# bag of beans from the grocery store and we really liked it but at the cost of $10-11 a pound, it quickly got quite pricey. I order a 5# bag on line and it's less than $6 a pound. Allows me for some self indulgence in more speciality coffees. I don't particularly care for flavored creamers in my coffee as it makes it too sweet for my taste...sjt
hunky77

Akron, OH

#19 Feb 17, 2009
the REAL action wrote:
aww hunky it takes me a pot of coffee to face the world used to take a joint of POT lol(@@)
Your a smart man, now you got it. fuzzy!
Thats why they call me hunky-dory.lol

Akron Area

#20 Feb 17, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sugar in the raw is plain old cane sugar. It just isn't completely refined to take away the molasses taste. It's more or less the same as the difference between dark rum and light rum.
Susan's is the one place I know makes peaberry too but I don't know where it's vended other than the one store in Kent which I've never been to. They also had an interesting brew I liked called "Out of Africa" which is from Robusto beans, very strong both in caffeine and taste. I'm used to expresso style coffee so it's no big thing to me.
Guess I'll pass on the sugar suggestion. If you need a really smooth coffee, get the one I suggested from Susan's. It has a hint of caramel and pecan and goes well with guests for a dessert coffee--even for people who claim they don't like flavored coffees. I did like the "Out of Africa" and I do believe that I had their "peaberry"--I knew that sounded all too familiar. My spouse and I can handle some expresso and French Press, but not as a routine. We really don't like Starbucks, unless it's one of their froo-froo drinks. Sometimes we've had no option (you'd have to live here to understand) but to stop at a Starbucks and we will get a 2 shot expresso and filled with hot water. A really perfect cup of coffee if you don't want the full expresso bolt.

And don't get me started on Decaf!! I mean, why bother??...sjt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Akron 11 mins ago 4:55 p.m.Akron Police charge ... May 27 Mr Shhhhh 1
News Feds OK plan to sell Norton Homes (Feb '08) May 27 leechy 9
Cuyahoga Falls Music Emporium (Oct '12) May 23 Musikologist 15
Who recalls Todd Hickman (akron) (Sep '11) May 22 Ledesv 68
guess who (Feb '15) May 20 USS LIBERTY 23
News Akron to sell Main St. buildings for project (Jan '08) May 19 Hippies 183
News West Side Neighborhood Watch May 19 Blue 1

Akron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance