Columbus police shoot 16-year-old girl

COLUMBUS: Columbus police say officers shot a 16-year-old girl when she wouldn't drop a gun she had rolled up in a blanket. Full Story

“Stupidity should be painful”

Since: Jun 08

Akron Area

#115 Jun 20, 2008
sorry I mean last word is "DUCK"

must be the 125 degree heat

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

Since: Mar 08

The AKR

#116 Jun 21, 2008
AMANDA MOODY wrote:
THE COLUMBUS OHIO POLICE ARE KLANSMAN WITH GUNS,IT IS TOTALLY UNCONREHINSIBLE THE WAY THEY ARE TARGETING THE MINORITY -BLACK COMMUNITY BY SHOOTING YOUNG 16 YEAR OLD GIRLS IN THE BACK AND SAYING THAT SHE HAD A SHOTGUN,THEN A TOYGUN,THE COLUMBUS POLICE ARE LIARS AND HAVE A SILENT CODE OF COVERUP,THEY ALSO SHOT THE OTHER YOUNG MAN IN THE BACK,FOR WHAT?THE COLUMBUS POLICE WILL NOT STOP AT NOTHING
TO FABRICATE EVIDENCE ON YOU,THEY WILL WITHOLD YOUR
EVIDENCE THAT CLEARS YOU JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BLACK,THE
PROBLEM IS THE CPD CAN NEVER ADMIT THEY ARE WRONG OR HAVE
BROKE THE LAW THEMSELVES,I DO SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE IN DEALING WITH THE CPD.THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE
CONTROL OF THIS OUT OF CONTROL POLICE DEPARTMENT BECAUSE
THE BLACKS AND HISPANICS ARE BIG TARGETS IN THIS CITY.THE
JUSTICE DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO HAVE A REVIEW OF ALL PENDING
AND CHARGES THAT THE CPD STICK MINORITIES WITH AND THEY
THINK IT IS FUNNY,BUT THEY ARE RUINING PEOPLES LIFES
WITH THEIR FABRICATED ARRESTS AND MADE UP CHARGES,IF YOU
WANT TO HELP OUT PLEASE WRITE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
AND TELL THEM YOUR COMPLAINT AGAINST THE CPD,LETS SHOW THEM
WE DO COUNT!THANKS AMANDA AMMOOD@AOL.COM
Mebbe if the blacks and hispanics would stop breaking the law, they wouldn't be such "big targets". As you so eloquently pointed out in your blatently biased post.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#118 Jun 23, 2008
AMANDA MOODY wrote:
THE COLUMBUS OHIO POLICE ARE KLANSMAN WITH GUNS,IT IS TOTALLY UNCONREHINSIBLE THE WAY THEY ARE TARGETING THE MINORITY -BLACK COMMUNITY BY SHOOTING YOUNG 16 YEAR OLD GIRLS IN THE BACK AND SAYING THAT SHE HAD A SHOTGUN,THEN A TOYGUN,THE COLUMBUS POLICE ARE LIARS AND HAVE A SILENT CODE OF COVERUP,THEY ALSO SHOT THE OTHER YOUNG MAN IN THE BACK,FOR WHAT?THE COLUMBUS POLICE WILL NOT STOP AT NOTHING
BROKE THE LAW THEMSELVES,I DO SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE IN DEALING WITH THE CPD.THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE
It probably never occured to you that when someone walks into a store carrying a gun that they're up to no good. It's the blck mentality, when the "baby" does a crime, "mama's" in the background looking to sue someone for more crack money. Nice job breeding criminals
THE HAYES FAMILY

AOL

#119 Jun 23, 2008
WHY HAVE A JUSTICE SYSTEM SAVE THE STATE MONEY AND LET THE COLUMBUS POLICE KILL WHOM EVERY THEY WANT BECAUSE THATS WHATS HAPPENING IN COLUMBUS
richard

Hermitage, PA

#120 Jun 23, 2008
why were tasers not used? Why did one officer fire multiple shots? Trigger happy perhaps? No! Never!

You know, if the girl would have just had her CCW that would have instantly made her a responsible gun owner and this would have never happened.

Yep, just shoot em in the head. If she was trying to rob a store, that warrants being shot to death in a parking lot at 16!!! Come on losers, are you SERIOUS?!?!?!

I think a lot of you would be better off in Saudi Arabia where this kind of stuff is allowed. Why, you can even kill your wife if they commit adultery and rape women and get away with it.

Since their punishment methods work so well, why do they have way more violence and crime than we do? You people are idiots for thinking that cops being allowed to just kill people at will would solve anything here.

Akron Area

#121 Jun 23, 2008
richard wrote:
why were tasers not used? Why did one officer fire multiple shots? Trigger happy perhaps? No! Never!
You know, if the girl would have just had her CCW that would have instantly made her a responsible gun owner and this would have never happened.
Yep, just shoot em in the head. If she was trying to rob a store, that warrants being shot to death in a parking lot at 16!!! Come on losers, are you SERIOUS?!?!?!
I think a lot of you would be better off in Saudi Arabia where this kind of stuff is allowed. Why, you can even kill your wife if they commit adultery and rape women and get away with it.
Since their punishment methods work so well, why do they have way more violence and crime than we do? You people are idiots for thinking that cops being allowed to just kill people at will would solve anything here.
Where in the article did the officer ask the girl's age first. Part of the rifle was showing where she had it hidden in the blanket.(hmm-disguised as a baby-maybe) She was ordered to drop the gun and refused. Do you honestly think an officer would have or should have gotten close enough to taser? What reality world do you belong to? You sound like someone who would have been screaming unlawful taser or asking why a "cop" was killed in the line of duty.

Go to your BRIDGE now

Kent, OH

#122 Jun 23, 2008
Some updated articles from the Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/...
http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/s...

Turns out that the gun in question was an air rifle...but still how did the cops know either way? When you are faced with a gun...you are not going to stop and ask if it is real or a pellet/bb gun. This isn't a video game where you can hit 'pause' and determine if deadly force is needed.
clone bensen

Bryan, OH

#123 Jun 23, 2008
i see that the democratic idea is not bias hehhhahahhehehhe

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

The AKR

#124 Jun 23, 2008
CuddyTheFlash wrote:
Some updated articles from the Columbus Dispatch:
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/...
http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/s...
Turns out that the gun in question was an air rifle...but still how did the cops know either way? When you are faced with a gun...you are not going to stop and ask if it is real or a pellet/bb gun. This isn't a video game where you can hit 'pause' and determine if deadly force is needed.
Who, in their right mind, goes to a convienent store at any hour with any kind of gun wrapped in a blanket????

Please, someone, tell me that this person had no intent of committing a crime!
leave town now

AOL

#126 Jun 23, 2008
AMANDA MOODY wrote:
and We need more of them
leave town now

AOL

#127 Jun 23, 2008
the poor girl was just getting milk for one of her 3 children

Akron Area

#128 Jun 23, 2008
Bergermeister wrote:
<quoted text>
Who, in their right mind, goes to a convienent store at any hour with any kind of gun wrapped in a blanket????
Please, someone, tell me that this person had no intent of committing a crime!
maybe she really was going to buy juicy fruit.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#129 Jun 24, 2008
The more you read about this case the more screwed up it gets.

The mother let's the 16 year old girl go out at 11:30pm to pickup food with her boyfriend at a place where there's been several prior robberies and a homicide.

It seems obvious that they were going to try and rob the store, what dimwit brings a puppy along?

The mother obviously isn't much of a parent to let this happen, where's the father? Jail? Stoned? With another crack wh@re?

The mother lies to protect the idiot child, if she would happen to win a settlement, what affect would this have on her other kids.

I wonder if there's a curfew law in Columbus? The mother allows the daughter to go out after the curfew? Nice parenting.

“You Can't Fix Stupid”

Akron, OH

#131 Jun 27, 2008
richard wrote:
Hey Idiot, tasers only work from certain distances. If someone has a gun then lethal force is approriate force. You don't bring a taser to a gun fight. If these people that you seem to think are victims would follow the law like the rest of us they wouldn't get shot. Furthermore if you think she didn't do anything wrong and you are totally right then I challenge you to take a gun into a neighborhood with a history of robberies and fail to drop it when told to by police. Then the rest of us will be short one more idiot and we will all thank the police for doing what they're trained to do.
glad we have protection

Columbus, OH

#134 Jul 5, 2008
Maybe officers should just guess instead of reacting. That way we would have more dead cops and more violence on the streets. Do you know what type of neighborhood this was? Do you know what happens there day in and day out. This is the world you enjoy, we don't! If you think its so great, I dare you to move into this neighborhood. Then I can listen to you SCREAM on 911 for the help of the police officers who work there. Walk a mile in this cops shoes, then make a comment. I'd rather you just keep your opinions to yourself, being that you have no idea what your talking about.
glad we have protection

Columbus, OH

#135 Jul 5, 2008
Wow! you speak "I hate white people" very well.
Your just a racist, admitt it. Go to Church, pay taxes, raise your children right. Try that for once. Racist!
Greg

Reynoldsburg, OH

#136 Jul 5, 2008
Columbus police are out of control and the lame defense (and statements that could be taken as terrorist threats) of Jim Gilbert sound like coverups for a dangerous urban gang.

Anyone with half a brain should consider why the police have declared war on the citizens ( and in some cases play dress-up and don paramilitary gear to serve warrants in non-violent situations where the police are the ones creating the violence).

Police officers themselves should be questioning why they are put in situations that escalate violence and make their jobs more dangerous for no reasons.

Those who care about officer safety realize that these tactics endanger these officers. It's not just those who are concerned about criminal suspects- if you care about the officer safety you would want an end to this.

I recommend ( if you have half a mind):

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php...
(free download available for the literate)
Greg

Reynoldsburg, OH

#137 Jul 5, 2008
San Jose Transplant said "
Point is Law abiding, respectfuly people doing the right thing, in the right place at the right time DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS."

Sorry,
You are very naive. Almost every day in this country someone is killed in this country ( or a police officer is killed- do you support that?) because of shoddy police work and/or dangerous tactics. I am talking about people sitting at home often sleeping who are killed by armed home invaders with badges who are looking "to score" by breaking down someones door looking to confiscate something.

Heck, if someone breaks into your house it's not even safe to call the police- when they come they will search your house to justify taking something. In Virginia they pay criminals to break in homes of gardeners to look at their (legal) plants.

They pay criminal informants who are convicted felons for fabricated tips to get rubber stamped warrants. They parade around in uniforms and gear that does not look like police uniforms and break down doors or use flashbang grenades for petty things like traffic warrants, burn down house, kill family pets,beat old ladies with gun butts, the list goes on.

And any of these situations could have been handled in broad daylight when the suspect leaves the home, checks the mail, or goes to the store.But cops want to be bad@$$ and do things like soldiers on TV.

And I am not just talking about petty criminals, people who live in bad neighborhoods ( as if that is justification for being treated like a criminal). I am talking about law abiding old ladies, people who try to make their neighborhoods better places, gardeners, ebay sellers ( who have to use bags and scales), and people who just happen to care about the American way of life and used to freedom.

Anyone can be the victim of a Wrong Door No Knock Raid, have a wallet mistaken for a gun ( one guy supposedly had his tshirt mistaken for a weapon and a naked man was shot by police who claim they thought his genitals were a gun.), or be the victim of a crackhead informant willing to sell false info for some drug money.

Violent criminals should be dealt with. But is the answer becoming an occupying army that warns citizens that they will be shot for any reason, engaging in dangerous tactics, and focusing (wasting resources) on non violent crimes?

Maybe (at least part of) the answer lies in policing in way that makes officers respected not feared and makes law abiding citizens want to cooperate, being friends of the good guys in the community, friendly neighborhood policing, being proactive yet proffessional, allowing self defense, letting good people alone,etc.

And to
"glad to have protection"

Self defense is usually your best protection. Even most honest police will tell you they rarely come across a crime in commission where they can prevent it. Usually they are on the scene when it's over.

But apparently self-defense is illegal in many places. I can't believe how many people think police should have the monopoly on guns/defense and the use of force. I think 99% of police are great ( my issues are with the tactics and union stuff), but they arent there to protect you.

Kent, OH

#138 Jul 5, 2008
^You're missing the entire point. If the cops tell you to drop your gun and you face them without dropping said gun, they have every right to shoot you.

And if Columbus police were really this corrupt, I'm sure I'd be reading about it in the paper or hearing about it on the news, instead of hearing it from someone who has most likely had a few brushes with the law himself.
San Jose Transplant

Santa Maria, CA

#139 Jul 5, 2008
CuddyTheFlash wrote:
^You're missing the entire point. If the cops tell you to drop your gun and you face them without dropping said gun, they have every right to shoot you.
And if Columbus police were really this corrupt, I'm sure I'd be reading about it in the paper or hearing about it on the news, instead of hearing it from someone who has most likely had a few brushes with the law himself.
Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
aging after 60 11 hr Michell 2
Christmas Eve.... 18 hr Lt Tyree 3
OBAMMY IS MAKIN' A LIST - CHECKING IT Twice! Sat herbtheperv 4
OBAMMY GIVES US GAS FOR Under $ 2 A GALLON Sat Undercover Brother 1
What does Akron Innerbelt demolition mean for y... Dec 26 Duke For Mayor 3
geo WMD boosh put troops in the HOSPITAL Dec 25 Lt Tyree 1
Wino and tyree Dec 24 Tyree 4
Akron Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web