Is Ebonics or "Black English" a language?

Created by tanita on Mar 5, 2009

319 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

anonymous1

Mansfield, OH

#327 Mar 15, 2009
Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
However though, Bill Clinton was FAR from being a friend to the african American community. And this is why.--- Bill Clintons policies were VERY DISASTROUS to the african American community & to other "blacks" (Caribbean blacks & African blacks). And these were the policies.--- 1. Bill Clinton signing welfare reform back in 1996. Welfare reform DISPROPORATIONELY affected MANY single, unwed african American mothers & their kids.
2. Bill Clinton signing the crime bill.-- This DISPROPORTIONATELY affected the african American community.
3. Bill Clinton GREATLY expanding the prison --- industrial complex.---- This DISPROPORTIONATELY affected the african American community.--- In the 8 years of the Clinton administration, MANY african Americans went into the prison - industrial complex.
4. Bill Clinton signing NAFTA into law.--- When NAFTA went into effect, MANY jobs which were done by african Americans went to Mexico. And under NAFTA, MANY more illegals came into America & MANY of the illegals took aid, jobs, housing, health care & education from african Americans.
And Bill Clinton policies towards black Africa was TOTALLY DISASTROUS!!.--- In the 8 years of the Clinton administration tens of millions of black Africans ((In Rwanda (ESPECIALLY in Rwanda -- From April -- July, 1994), in Burundi, in Angola, in Mozambique, in Liberia, in Sierra Leone, in the Congo, in Spanish Equatorial Africa, in Chad, in Uganda, in the Sudan, in Ethiopia, in Eritrea, in Somalia, in Kenya & in Tanzania)) died as a result of this stuff.-- Tribal wars, civil wars, genocides, massacres, AIDS & famine.
And the Clinton administration orchestrated the overthrow of Haitis ex. president, Jean Bertrand Aristide. Aristide & his family were kidnapped at gunpoint & then Haitian, Dominican & Jamaican paramilitaries undertook a campaign of MASS killing of Aristides supporters. Tens of thousands of Aristides supporters were massacred in Port-Au-Prince & Gonaives. Actually, ENTIRE families were marched off (At gunpoint) to a stadium on the outskirts of Port-Au-Prince & machine gunned to death. ENTIRE families were wiped out.
And this stuff has been pointed out by african Americans such as Randall Robinson (Founder & ex. head of the TransAfrica organization) & Michael Eric Dyson.
Randall Robinson even pointed out that what happened in Haiti was HARDLY covered at all by ALL news venues. And Robinson even said that had this been Belgium, ALL of the news stations would have covered this for months.
Is any of this leading back to the thread topic?

“The One! The Only! RUKiddingme”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey, Baby!

#328 Mar 15, 2009
Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>

And leftwing democrats are PRIMARILY responsible for african Americans problems. And this is why.-- Now, prior to the 1960s, the african American family was relatively intact. And prior to the 1960s, the rates of crime in the african American community were NOTHING compared to the rates of crime from the 1960s till now.
It was RIGHT after ex. president, leftwing democrat Lyndon Baines Johnson (And other leftwing democrats) implemented the welfare & entitlement society ("Great Society") that ALL of this stuff SKYROCKETED in the african American community.--- Crime, illegitimate birth rates, girls from ages 12-17 having kids, kids dropping out of school, welfare & entitlement dependency, laziness, insubordination, deadbeat fathers, households headed by single, unwed mothers & mothers who neglect their kids.
Leftwing democrats are PRIMARILY to blame for african Americans VERY TRAGIC problems from the 1960s till now.
Yet, in each & every election, african Americans vote as a monolith (At least 90%) for leftwing democratic candidates. Smh.
So, the economic upheavals of the 70s and 80s had nothing to do with the increase of these things in the African American community?

Nice revisionist view of history, Johnny.
U R NOT TOUGH

Akron, OH

#329 Mar 15, 2009
San Jose Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't get it, do you. What is taught at home and lived through conversation with peers and all friendship places carries over into the workplace.'Opinnated in Ohio' stated exactly what I was trying to say. Maybe I was being a little more delicate, maybe you get what OIO was saying. I don't know, I feel even with your college education, it's a lost debate with you. It is not JUST a language, it's an attitude. The language carries over to who the person is. I have seen this in the workplace over and over and when it's apparent at time of interview, that person will not get a second chance. Discrimination? No, not at all. It's a choice on who the employer wants for a representation of his or her company and reputation. OIO spoke of first impressions, it's not just at the interview, but also on the job. From the time the phone is answered to see a client, cusotmer in person. Trust me, you can do your 'project/research paper', but the facts are not going to change. I will not allow my company to be part of the dumbing down of America and I will fight any school system who allows this to be an accepted form of communication in a classroom. So, now you have enough information to pass on to your professor. Have fun with it.
not necessarily true. i'm from the hood, speal real good ebonics. but i also have a masters degree and speak very well with attorneys and judges every day. the two can coincide, you just have to know how to keep it separated.

“Stupidity should be painful”

Since: Jun 08

Akron Area

#330 Mar 15, 2009
U R NOT TOUGH wrote:
<quoted text>
not necessarily true. i'm from the hood, speal real good ebonics. but i also have a masters degree and speak very well with attorneys and judges every day. the two can coincide, you just have to know how to keep it separated.
Point taken and I commend you, not only for being able to keep the lines of seperation when needed, but also on your success. Too many times, though, I have not seen this take place. But in the interest of fairness, I have seen others exibit your example..thanks for another perspective...sjt

“Ain't Running Skeered”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#331 Mar 15, 2009
U R NOT TOUGH wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you teach your children proper english? Or will you allow them speak as ebonics? I'm assuming if you have a masters degree, you probably do not live in the inner city. If that is the case, your children probably would not speak ebonics anyway. My neice's friend speaks teenage slang, but is far from ebonics and she lives in the suburbs. She said she hates ebonics that it's a sign of laziness...she's sixteen.

“Play at your own risk !!!!”

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, Ohio

#332 Mar 15, 2009
U R NOT TOUGH wrote:
<quoted text>
You said it all ,right there.

“STILL HERE”

Since: Jul 08

THEIVELAND, OHIO

#333 Mar 16, 2009
U R NOT TOUGH wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm the exact same way

“STILL HERE”

THEIVELAND, OHIO

#334 Mar 16, 2009
Fought the Fight B4 wrote:
<quoted text>Will you teach your children proper english? Or will you allow them speak as ebonics?
both
Fought the Fight B4 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm assuming if you have a masters degree, you probably do not live in the inner city. If that is the case, your children probably would not speak ebonics anyway.
i do still live in the inner city. my wife is the one with the bachelors. i'm doing post grad. i like the hood. no one bothers me, and i dont bother anyone. and the house payment is cheap. in uncertain economic times like this, that can be a good thing. i teach my kids both. when its ok to talk ebonics, and when its necessary to speak queens english. i also teach them respect, manners and etiquette etc...
anonymous1

Mansfield, OH

#335 Mar 16, 2009
Cleveland Slim wrote:
<quoted text>
both
<quoted text>
i do still live in the inner city. my wife is the one with the bachelors. i'm doing post grad. i like the hood. no one bothers me, and i dont bother anyone. and the house payment is cheap. in uncertain economic times like this, that can be a good thing. i teach my kids both. when its ok to talk ebonics, and when its necessary to speak queens english. i also teach them respect, manners and etiquette etc...
I don't think that there are any clear rules about when and when not to speak in Ebonics.

If your child was on his or her first job at the front counter of a fast food restaurant, and lost their job because the manager didn't like the way they communicated to the customers, would you be angry with the manager?

The question that would be going through my mind would be about whether Ebonics is used as an excluding form of communication or perhaps just lack of attention to the job at hand. I certainly do remember a recent popular jingoism stating "It's a Black thing. You wouldn't understand." People will connect the dots.

“Ain't Running Skeered”

Location hidden

#336 Mar 16, 2009
Cleveland Slim wrote:
<quoted text>
both
<quoted text>
I assumed the respect, manners and etiquette was a given. I'd like to assume that in every household, but it isn't always the case, no matter what one's status in the social pool.

Isn't ebonics really a direct result of not understanding proper english? Referring to your children, does it not just become slang or ebonics?

“Play at your own risk !!!!”

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, Ohio

#337 Mar 16, 2009
Cleveland Slim wrote:
<quoted text>
both
<quoted text>
Slim !!!!
Johnny

New Berlin, WI

#338 Mar 16, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is any of this leading back to the thread topic?

Okay.--- My post which you quoted (Post #325 -- Which I typed up yesterday), I was responding back to the poster named RUs response back (Rus post #300 --- Typed up Saturday) to one of my previous posts. And Ru mentioned in his response back to me that he tends to vote democratic and that he is sympathetic to liberal issues. And I just mentioned (In post #325) that ex. president, democrat Bill Clintons policies were disastrous for african Americas & for other people of African descent (Caribbean blacks & African blacks). And I gave several examples why.

Now, I & Ru were discussing something a tad bit off of the thread title (Ebonics). But I don't see the big deal. Now, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.-- But MANY times on MANY different threads on Topix posters will mention topics which are totally unrelated to the threads title.

Here's just one example.--- A couple of days before the anniversary of 9/11 there were many posters (Myself included) posting on a thread whose title entailed Iraq & Afghanistan. And several posters mentioned & were discussing these topics.--- Boxing (Present day boxers compared to old time boxers), football, baseball (Primarily the New York Yankees), travel (To St. Thomas, Virgin Islands), food & cooking.

The point I'm making is that on MANY times posters on a thread discuss topics other than the thread title.
Johnny

New Berlin, WI

#339 Mar 16, 2009
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the economic upheavals of the 70s and 80s had nothing to do with the increase of these things in the African American community?
Nice revisionist view of history, Johnny.

RU, you said "So, the economic upheavals of the 70s and 80s had nothing to do with the increase of these things in the African American community?".--- Well, african American Conservative authors John McWhorter & Star Parker pointed out (With documented statistics) that the breakdown of the african American family was occurring way before jobs began leaving urban / ghetto communities.

And it ALL points right back to the policies of ex. president, leftwing democrat Lyndon Baines Johnsons welfare & entitlement society (Great Society).

And in the late 1970s, America was under the administration of leftwing democrat Jimmy Carter. And under Carter, America had A LOT of economic troubles. Under Carter, inflation was SKY high, unemployment was SKY high & interest rates were VERY high. And for a person to get a loan back then, rates were running at around 18-19%. And houses were being built cheaper at this time.

Now, in the 1980s, America was under the administration of Republican Ronald Reagan. And throughout the 1980s, America had TREMENDOUS economic growth. And America had low taxes. And Reagans (And other Conservative Republicans) trickle down economics worked. And people had VERY good paying jobs with VERY good benefits.

Now, there were American jobs which left America in the 1970s & 1980s. Now, who controlled the House & Senate in the 1970s & 1980s??-- Answer.-- Leftwing democrats.

And why did MANY American jobs go overseas??--- Answer.-- Because of the VERY high taxation & the MANY regulations which leftwing democrats put on American businesses. And throughout the 1970s & 1980s, leftwing Union leaders SURE DIDN'T help their workers. The actions of these leftwing Union leaders did MORE harm than good. The actions of these leftwing Union leaders harmed the VERY people whom they claimed to represent.

“Ain't Running Skeered”

Location hidden

#340 Mar 16, 2009
Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.--- My post which you quoted (Post #325 -- Which I typed up yesterday), I was responding back to the poster named RUs response back (Rus post #300 --- Typed up Saturday) to one of my previous posts. And Ru mentioned in his response back to me that he tends to vote democratic and that he is sympathetic to liberal issues. And I just mentioned (In post #325) that ex. president, democrat Bill Clintons policies were disastrous for african Americas & for other people of African descent (Caribbean blacks & African blacks). And I gave several examples why.
Now, I & Ru were discussing something a tad bit off of the thread title (Ebonics). But I don't see the big deal. Now, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.-- But MANY times on MANY different threads on Topix posters will mention topics which are totally unrelated to the threads title.
Here's just one example.--- A couple of days before the anniversary of 9/11 there were many posters (Myself included) posting on a thread whose title entailed Iraq & Afghanistan. And several posters mentioned & were discussing these topics.--- Boxing (Present day boxers compared to old time boxers), football, baseball (Primarily the New York Yankees), travel (To St. Thomas, Virgin Islands), food & cooking.
The point I'm making is that on MANY times posters on a thread discuss topics other than the thread title.
I wouldn't worry about it, it happens on EVERY thread, espically in Akron. Have you not witnessed the juvenile diversions on Akron's threads lately? There are no threads on any blog sight that stay on the blog one hundred percent - especially after the firs few days. Like the news, it's big talk for the first few days, but ADD kicks in and something else grabs the masses.

Don't feel guilty - it's the way it goes. Following the thread made it apparant what you were getting at in you conversation directive. Anyone paying attention would have recognized the flow.
Johnny

New Berlin, WI

#342 Mar 16, 2009
tanita wrote:
<quoted text>
You have your opinion but also like everyone else you base you views on what society thinks. And since you dont even speak Ebonics you dont understand. Its ok thought because not everyone does.

tanita, you said "You have your opinion but also like everyone else you base your views on what society thinks".--- True. And what society thinks (The dominant culture, etc.) matters.

You say "And since you dont even speak Ebonics you dont understand".--- True, I don't speak ebonics. Lol. And granted, I'm not in your ebonics class so I don't know what is being talked about, etc..

You say "Its okay".---^5.

Well, I'm glad that you told me about your thread & told me to check it out, etc..

tanita, let me ask you this.--- Is the feedback from other posters of any help to you regarding your class project??
Johnny

New Berlin, WI

#343 Mar 16, 2009
tanita, you said "I understand your posts I have read them and I get what you're saying".--- Okay.

You say "but every post you have written only refers to getting hired in the job industry".-- Pretty much. Clearly, I see eye to eye with what May Fong, Starry Nights, Opinionated in Ohio, lavender, etc. said.

You say "i mean yes, the language does have a bad reputation but there are other medias and issues involved with that".--- Oh yeah.

You say "So is there anymore knowledge about not getting hired that you would like to post".--- Not really. And clearly, I'm not familiar with the in depth speaking of ebonics. And I've never taken an ebonics class.

You say "I mean I'm just gonna tell you that I know it's a struggle to get hired and people need to adjust their languages".--- You are on the mark about this.

You say "I guess I'm saying that if you're going to spread knowledge to me please let it be on something that doesn't have to do with getting hired".-- Okay. Well, I can't really add much more about ebonics &/or about what you should do.

As it stands, I really don't know what to tell you.

And if you decide to speak ebonics, I hope that you won't get penalized, etc.. I hope that everything will work out fine in your future.

You say "I'm not being rude".--- Everythings cool. And I wasn't mad at cha.

“STILL HERE”

THEIVELAND, OHIO

#344 Mar 16, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If your child was on his or her first job at the front counter of a fast food restaurant, and lost their job because the manager didn't like the way they communicated to the customers, would you be angry with the manager?
no, becaue it goes back to speaking whatever language is appropriate for the situation.

play the part

“STILL HERE”

THEIVELAND, OHIO

#345 Mar 16, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The question that would be going through my mind would be about whether Ebonics is used as an excluding form of communication or perhaps just lack of attention to the job at hand.
not to exclude but actually a dialect.
the drawl
the pronunciation
the exclusion of letters
the different words

“STILL HERE”

THEIVELAND, OHIO

#346 Mar 16, 2009
anonymous1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly do remember a recent popular jingoism stating "It's a Black thing. You wouldn't understand." People will connect the dots.
i dont know what you consider recent, but that slogan was from 1992 or 93
anonymous1

Mansfield, OH

#347 Mar 16, 2009
Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, people go off topic. Please try to avoid doing so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gang activity increasing in Akron (Jun '07) 16 hr clean up the trash 148
Anyone looking to buy a home in North Hill? 16 hr clean up the trash 2
News Felony charge filed against Akron police sergea... Apr 22 toxic nut 1
Brandon Cisar - pedophille trash ! Apr 21 thad 5
Zelma Allen murder case, 1972 (Jun '13) Apr 21 Roy 2
camper van Apr 21 esearls1958 1
News Akron man enters plea on charges that he burned... Apr 21 mike 1
More from around the web

Akron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE