2 Dems face off for shot at seat on c...

2 Dems face off for shot at seat on court

There are 16 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jan 29, 2008, titled 2 Dems face off for shot at seat on court. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Mary Margaret Rowlands points to her breadth of experience in public administration and criminal law as the assets that make her the stronger Democratic candidate for a Summit County Common Pleas Court ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Court Observer

Akron, OH

#1 Jan 30, 2008
Jay is a bright guy but very erratic and inconsistent in court. Mary has so much more experience and better temperment.
Real Court Observer

United States

#2 Jan 30, 2008
Mary is bright and a favorite of the local Democratic
establishment (after her defeat last election she was handed a job by the county); she was a defense attorney in her limited criminal law practice. Jay is extremely bright and prosecutes cases zealously; because of that some criminal defense lawyers do not care for him; he is head and shoulders above the average criminal lawyer in his knowledge of evidence and the law in general. If you want a professional on the bench vote for Jay; by the way I am not Jay Cole but a lawyer with over a quarter of a century of experience.
Simon Templar

Salem, OH

#3 Jan 30, 2008
If you want someone who is experienced, intelligent and independant, vote for Jay Cole. If you want someone who is part of the political machine vote for Rowlands.
Maxie

Hudson, OH

#4 Jan 30, 2008
Some choice
The Voice of Reason

United States

#5 Jan 30, 2008
One couldn;t get elected and one works for Shari Bevan Walsh. That in itself tells you he is a bad attorney. Walsh's office is in shambles with everything from her record down to not being able to even keep evidence in the vault. Hopefully people remember to vote her out and Roe Fox in.

Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox Roe Fox
How Do You Give Shoulder

Dayton, OH

#6 Jan 30, 2008
Real Court Observer wrote:
Mary is bright and a favorite of the local Democratic
establishment (after her defeat last election she was handed a job by the county); she was a defense attorney in her limited criminal law practice. Jay is extremely bright and prosecutes cases zealously; because of that some criminal defense lawyers do not care for him; he is head and shoulders above the average criminal lawyer in his knowledge of evidence and the law in general. If you want a professional on the bench vote for Jay; by the way I am not Jay Cole but a lawyer with over a quarter of a century of experience.
I wonder if Mary Margaret will clean up her act or keep using her "vast experience" to become the female James Barbuto?
In my opinion

South Charleston, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2008
no choice, go with the Republican on this one
a voice

Erie, PA

#9 Jan 30, 2008
More Attorneys litigating for golden parachutes and never addressing the truth, only dancing around it.

The lesser of two evils rings true here,on a personal level.
jim_bridger

Westlake, OH

#10 Jan 30, 2008
Nappy HeadedHo wrote:
Judge Stormer is a Nappy HeadedHo...
And a Commie
too funny!

“Activist For Change”

Since: Jan 08

America

#11 Jan 30, 2008
Mary Margaret is more poised for this position. Will at the PC last evening Jay Cole seemed very nervous, stumbled over his words; but I'd have to say; he faired better than Sharon Berg, who constantly gave reference to her father. I guess she thinks her dad will get her elected over Judge Quinn.

“Activist For Change”

Since: Jan 08

America

#12 Jan 30, 2008
How Do You Give Shoulder wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if Mary Margaret will clean up her act or keep using her "vast experience" to become the female James Barbuto?
I don't think any of them want to be Judge Barbuto! lol

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#13 Jan 30, 2008
How Do You Give Shoulder wrote:
<quoted text>
She probably looks better in fishnets and a dress than did JB.
Go Figure

Canton, OH

#14 Jan 30, 2008
Jay Cole hands down
Summit County Observer

Raleigh, NC

#15 Jan 31, 2008
Mary Margaret is working in a Summit County office that she was neither elected for or had to compete for the position. She has caused a lot of problems in areas that she had no previous experience running. She has no regard for taxpayers money. Jay Cole has a much better character and has earned his reputation. We don't need any more friend of a friend in our County offices!
Akron lawyer

Akron, OH

#17 Feb 5, 2008
Why on earth would we vote for Jay Cole, when he has absolutely zero experience in the civil arena, and has a bad reputation in the criminal arena (at least insofar as his temperament). Mary Margaret Rowlands is the clear choice here. She has civil and criminal experience and now administrative also. Anyone who votes for Jay Cole over MMR needs their head examined.
Fiscal Office Fodder

Wooster, OH

#18 May 15, 2008
Mary Margaret made a hell of a mess of the Fiscal Office, and her reward is to become a judge? The taxpayers of Summit County deserve better than this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Akron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body discovered in Barberton alley (Aug '08) Fri Curiousnephew 180
News Akron gym manager arrested for selling steroids Feb 6 Baron VonRashcke 3
News Akron 1 hour ago 7:48 a.m.Brawl breaks out at A... Feb 6 Walkin Boss 1
beer stolen tim owens Feb 4 Harley Davidson 3
News Akron man claims self-defense in Chapel Hill Ma... Feb 2 Walkin Boss 1
News Couple insist big cat prowling nearby (Aug '08) Feb 2 Driver1 102
News Fairlawn man pleads guilty to lying to the FBI Jan 31 Walkin Boss 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Akron Mortgages