Letters to the editor - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

There's more to aloha for Christmas Than just candlelights and cheer; It's the aloha spirit of ohana friendship That brightens all the years; It is the kokua and thoughtfulness It is hope that Hawaii's foundation Is strong again for the New Year For our loved ones who Are not here for Christmas, Although we may be far apart, We're together, heart ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Dec 26, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Keauhou, HI

#1 Dec 25, 2009
re: B&B Bill promoted for benefit of few.
Not only was Bill 7 intended to benefit the few, it was also a smokescreen for the much more nefarious TVU operations. Angie Larson, who spearheaded the campaign for Bill 7 is actually a TVU operator. Now why would she be working so ardently to benefit the B&Bs unless she believed the TVU operators would somehow be included. Did the language of the bill somehow redefine TVUs to make them appear to be a B&B. Or was she hoping to expand the language in the future to include TVUs?
Now we not only need to bury Bill 7, we need to toughen the existing zoning laws to put some teeth into a long overdue enforcement effort.
Kimo

Sioux City, IA

#2 Dec 25, 2009
Flexo wrote:
re: B&B Bill promoted for benefit of few.
Not only was Bill 7 intended to benefit the few, it was also a smokescreen for the much more nefarious TVU operations. Angie Larson, who spearheaded the campaign for Bill 7 is actually a TVU operator. Now why would she be working so ardently to benefit the B&Bs unless she believed the TVU operators would somehow be included. Did the language of the bill somehow redefine TVUs to make them appear to be a B&B. Or was she hoping to expand the language in the future to include TVUs?
Now we not only need to bury Bill 7, we need to toughen the existing zoning laws to put some teeth into a long overdue enforcement effort.
I wonder if Ms. Larson rented to President Obama?? Merry Christmas!
Haleiwa Dad

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Dec 25, 2009
Are the news crews, the Secret Service, and the various other mobile white house personnel all staying in permitted transient vacation rentals, or not?

If the County is so good at enforcing its own laws, the answer to that question could be found.

If it can't be ascertained, perhaps the County needs a better method of enforcement.

One of the key reasons the TVU onslought has succeeded is that travelers and outside investors (including investors in Hawaii living off site) really don't give a rip if they're obeying Honolulu's city ordinances or not, unless there's a real chance (even a random, small one) that they'll be noticed and fined. If there's little or no chance, they don't care. And in reality, many likely don't even know they're violating the ordinances, so inept is the County's ability to inform the public of its complex rules. It's like a highway with no posted speed limits, or better, with tiny speed limit signs plastered with surf stickers and no cops in sight. Wouldn't you speed, too?

Money is like water and will flow where it will unless engineering structures or natural features re-direct it. Our structures for channeling TVU money are childrens' sand castles near the sea: they don't hold up to the ocean of money out there.
Pat

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 25, 2009
Thank you, Mr. Scanlan, for your comments about putting Christ back in Christmas. There is so much suffering in the world that is going unchanged, that this year I decided to just observe. TV offers to many rerun Christmas programs. The local media focus is on Santa and retail profits. Presently a caravan of over a hundred vehicles from England carrying food, clothing, medical supplies are stuck in Ammon, Jordan, awaiting permission from Egypt to cross into the Sinai of Moses to reach the checkpoints to Gaza. A year ago Israel brutally attacked defenseless Gaza with American weapons, murdering 1400 civilians and destroying homes, schools, hospitals, etc.The "land of Christ" is being destroyed by Israel while Obama idles at Kailua Beach.I don't understand the complacency!
Fisherman

Lanai City, HI

#5 Dec 25, 2009
Pat wrote:
Thank you, Mr. Scanlan, for your comments about putting Christ back in Christmas. There is so much suffering in the world that is going unchanged, that this year I decided to just observe. TV offers to many rerun Christmas programs. The local media focus is on Santa and retail profits. Presently a caravan of over a hundred vehicles from England carrying food, clothing, medical supplies are stuck in Ammon, Jordan, awaiting permission from Egypt to cross into the Sinai of Moses to reach the checkpoints to Gaza. A year ago Israel brutally attacked defenseless Gaza with American weapons, murdering 1400 civilians and destroying homes, schools, hospitals, etc.The "land of Christ" is being destroyed by Israel while Obama idles at Kailua Beach.I don't understand the complacency!
What is that! A call to Christian soldiers? On Christmas?
alice

Hanalei, HI

#6 Dec 25, 2009
Pat wrote:
Obama, no more than Bush, can fight for American interests. Israel has a stranglehold on America.
Pat

Honolulu, HI

#7 Dec 25, 2009
Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
What is that! A call to Christian soldiers? On Christmas?
I don't think that you can be Christian and a soldier. Contradictory! I was calling for "Christ the Peacemaker" to come forward.
Pearl City Senior

Aiea, HI

#8 Dec 25, 2009
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that you can be Christian and a soldier. Contradictory! I was calling for "Christ the Peacemaker" to come forward.
I think Christ would not be as subjective as you seem to be. Anti-Semitism just oozes from your every post. Both sides are to blame. Where do you think those rockets that rained down on Israeli towns came from?
Merry Christmas!!
Waht a Shame

Honolulu, HI

#9 Dec 25, 2009
You are so filled with misdirectred information and hatred. Israel has a right to defend itself. Israel has been repeatedly attacked and repeatedly done nothing about it. When it does decide to defend itself, the world screams murder. Get real.
alice wrote:
<quoted text>Obama, no more than Bush, can fight for American interests. Israel has a stranglehold on America.
Waht a Shame

Honolulu, HI

#10 Dec 25, 2009
You babble about Obama and protecting American interests. He apologizes for America and what it stands for. He does not support it as others have. Let us bow for Obama the Savior.
Mr Neuman

Kapaa, HI

#11 Dec 25, 2009
Pat of Kailua writes in part..."A year ago Israel brutally attacked defenseless Gaza with American weapons, murdering 1400 civilians and destroying homes, schools, hospitals, etc."

It has become quite evident by now that Pat is a disciple of Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Reichsminister of Propaganda. Goebbels introduced to the world the concept of the "Big Lie." The idea being if you tell a big enough lie repeatedly it is taken as the truth.

Stating "murdering 1400 civilians" falls under the definition of Goebbels' "Big Lie."

If any reader/poster doubts my observations, continue to follow Pat's rantings.
Ouch

Aiea, HI

#12 Dec 25, 2009
OK OK....Merry X-Mas! I can do without your Christ. I don't begrudge your need for him though.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#17 Dec 25, 2009
Mr Neuman wrote:
Pat of Kailua writes in part..."A year ago Israel brutally attacked defenseless Gaza with American weapons, murdering 1400 civilians and destroying homes, schools, hospitals, etc."
It has become quite evident by now that Pat is a disciple of Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Reichsminister of Propaganda. Goebbels introduced to the world the concept of the "Big Lie." The idea being if you tell a big enough lie repeatedly it is taken as the truth.
Stating "murdering 1400 civilians" falls under the definition of Goebbels' "Big Lie."
If any reader/poster doubts my observations, continue to follow Pat's rantings.
Mr. Neuman, you don't offer any evidence to the contrary. There's no reason to take your word over Pat's.

However, a little internet research does reveal this:

"Palestinian Ministry of Health (MoH) figures as of 5 February are 1,440 Palestinians dead, of whom 431 are children and 114 are women. According to the MoH, the rise in the number of casualties is due to the delay in people officially registering the deaths of family members from the conflict. This number does not include those who have died due to lack of access to regular health care (including obstetric care and treatment for chronic diseases). The number of injuries still stands at 5,380, of whom 1,872 are children and 800 are women. ICRC is closely monitoring the issue of persons unaccounted for following the conflict."

http://tinyurl.com/yhqpn77

Of course, there are those who deny the Holocaust as well. What's your reason for denying this information?
Pearl City Senior

Aiea, HI

#19 Dec 25, 2009
Bullshot Crummond wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Neuman, you don't offer any evidence to the contrary. There's no reason to take your word over Pat's.
However, a little internet research does reveal this:
"Palestinian Ministry of Health (MoH) figures as of 5 February are 1,440 Palestinians dead, of whom 431 are children and 114 are women. According to the MoH, the rise in the number of casualties is due to the delay in people officially registering the deaths of family members from the conflict. This number does not include those who have died due to lack of access to regular health care (including obstetric care and treatment for chronic diseases). The number of injuries still stands at 5,380, of whom 1,872 are children and 800 are women. ICRC is closely monitoring the issue of persons unaccounted for following the conflict."
http://tinyurl.com/yhqpn77
Of course, there are those who deny the Holocaust as well. What's your reason for denying this information?
The source you choose is the Palestinian Ministry of Health? Surely, you need to have your medication adjusted.

Honolulu

#21 Dec 25, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
The source you choose is the Palestinian Ministry of Health? Surely, you need to have your medication adjusted.
And you need to have your fingers examined to see if they can work at clicking on links.

Not only do you not know what I've presented, you don't know what you're saying in response to it.
Pearl City Senior

Aiea, HI

#22 Dec 25, 2009
Bullshot Crummond wrote:
<quoted text>
And here you offer nothing but your opinion and then you speculate about someone else's background and religion. You defeat your own point with your attempt at FUD.
A UN report beats the opinion of a "Pearl City Senior" any day of the week (and all year for that matter) just for pure data.
I did not refer to your background or your religion. Although the medical reference WAS to your mindset. And, my opinion is not defeated by your opinion.
You think the UN is objective? That's where the delusion reference comes from. No way the UN has EVER issued an objective view when it comes to Israel and the Palestinian conflict. If you'd check the history you'd find that the Arabs created the Gaza problem. The Israelis took over the area when attacked by the Arab armies. It's not the other way around. Arabs lost the wars and they lost the land. Get over it.
Do you want to see another holocaust?

Honolulu

#23 Dec 25, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not refer to your background or your religion. Although the medical reference WAS to your mindset. And, my opinion is not defeated by your opinion.
You think the UN is objective? That's where the delusion reference comes from. No way the UN has EVER issued an objective view when it comes to Israel and the Palestinian conflict. If you'd check the history you'd find that the Arabs created the Gaza problem. The Israelis took over the area when attacked by the Arab armies. It's not the other way around. Arabs lost the wars and they lost the land. Get over it.
Do you want to see another holocaust?
I see you want to change the subject because you have no support for your views. So be it. However, just to chase you a bit further down the road you decided to take without checking sources or thinking on your own, here's another source:
http://tinyurl.com/ycv4khl

The PCHR said 894 of the dead were civilians, including 280 children and minors, age 17 and under, as well as 111 women. Of the remaining 390 dead, 167 were members of Hamas' civil police, many of them killed on the job during Israel's surprise attack on dozens of security compounds on the first day of the war.
Zakout said the PCHR count, including the distinction between militants and civilians, is based on cross-checking hospital records and interviews with survivors. The group is affiliated with Geneva-based International Commission of Jurists and has won two European human rights awards.
Pearl City Senior

Aiea, HI

#25 Dec 25, 2009
Bullshot Crummond wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you want to change the subject because you have no support for your views. So be it. However, just to chase you a bit further down the road you decided to take without checking sources or thinking on your own, here's another source:
http://tinyurl.com/ycv4khl
The PCHR said 894 of the dead were civilians, including 280 children and minors, age 17 and under, as well as 111 women. Of the remaining 390 dead, 167 were members of Hamas' civil police, many of them killed on the job during Israel's surprise attack on dozens of security compounds on the first day of the war.
Zakout said the PCHR count, including the distinction between militants and civilians, is based on cross-checking hospital records and interviews with survivors. The group is affiliated with Geneva-based International Commission of Jurists and has won two European human rights awards.
Are you really serious? My support is the history of the region. Yours is strictly anti-Semitic.
Have you ever checked on Pallywood? They stage these attacks and fictitious deaths and then CBS comes along and reports them as fact. Of course Palestinians were killed. I'm not denying that. So were many Israelis. But what do you expect when you attack someone? Of course they are going to fight back and people are going to die.
I see that whatever I say you are going to turn the Palestinians into victims when they are merely aggressors and stooges for Jordan and Syria.
boondoggs

Honolulu, HI

#27 Dec 25, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really serious? My support is the history of the region. Yours is strictly anti-Semitic.
Have you ever checked on Pallywood? They stage these attacks and fictitious deaths and then CBS comes along and reports them as fact. Of course Palestinians were killed. I'm not denying that. So were many Israelis. But what do you expect when you attack someone? Of course they are going to fight back and people are going to die.
I see that whatever I say you are going to turn the Palestinians into victims when they are merely aggressors and stooges for Jordan and Syria.
anti-zionist-- so are a lot of other people-- including all every jewish friend of mine. I suppose it's a coincidence that the US built the inter-state highway system about the same time we create israel-- to destabilize the mideast & get access to arab oil. Truman was an anti-semite, his wife didn't let jews in their house-- then all sudden he wants to give the jews israel-- not really his to give, what did the mideast have to do w/ WWII-- he used jews as patsies to destabilize region.
boondoggs

Honolulu, HI

#29 Dec 25, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
My support is the history of the region. Yours is strictly anti-Semitic.
Seems your support is based on the biblical texts of the kingdom of david. If it's ok to create a new israel for the jews 2000+ years after it evaporated, then u must support the return of the kingdom of hawaii to the hawaiians-- 100 years after an actual illegitimate overthrow & based on historical fact not old testament stories.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shooting stays with officer for 20 years [The H... 6 hr Joe Balls 8
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Aug 30 Tracy Manhan 22
Ewa Beach Music Thread (May '12) Aug 26 Musikologist 16
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Aug 25 Terry 1
Body Discovered with Stab Wounds (Nov '10) Aug 21 Opinion 36
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Aug 18 Musikologist 8
Police Officer Injured Trying to Arrest Suspect... Aug 14 Who are you 1
•••
•••
Aiea Dating