Deadly crash brings calls for caution - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Vehicles continued to speed -- easily at 50-plus mph -- on Halawa Heights Road yesterday past the scene of a motorcycle accident that killed 23-year-old Jonathan Pons and critically injured a 13-year-old boy.

Comments (Page 8)

Showing posts 141 - 160 of161
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Common Sense

Kapaa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#166
Dec 27, 2009
 
pauoagirl wrote:
first of all..it ain't easy to say cuz it has happened to me. so i can speak from experience. so i wouldn't jus jump to conclusions if i was you. i know how it is to lose a loved one. i have lost a loved one. a half sister to a DRUNK DRIVER! she was only 16! but i never wished da guy who killed her would die or anything like that. What good would that bring? it wouldn't bring my sister back!
<quoted text>
By the way.. good try changing your story. Before it was "IF" I lost someone. now it's "I DID". Interesting.
Slow Down

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#167
Dec 27, 2009
 
Why don't they use videocams on roads that have speeding problems? They don't have to impose a fine -- just send a warning and keep the video on file for future reference. I bet many of the speeders are not first offenders.
get real

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#168
Dec 27, 2009
 
Slow Down wrote:
Why don't they use videocams on roads that have speeding problems? They don't have to impose a fine -- just send a warning and keep the video on file for future reference. I bet many of the speeders are not first offenders.
Nah, too expensive....and for what? A warning!?!?? Hah! That should curb speeders from speeding!

get real
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#169
Dec 27, 2009
 
Slow Down wrote:
Why don't they use videocams on roads that have speeding problems? They don't have to impose a fine -- just send a warning and keep the video on file for future reference. I bet many of the speeders are not first offenders.
Warnings don't work for stupid people (and that's really what these idiots are). They should increase fines more or even better... ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE LAWS WE HAVE NOW. Anyone doing more than 20 (forgive me for not knowing the exact amount) over the speed limit or over 80 period can be arrested on the spot. Do more of those and you'll see a lot less speeders.

Confiscation of cars would be good but HPD says they. Have no where to store them. Screw it! Take them and scrap them...espcially if it's racers. Those cars are usually illegaly modded anyways.
itz me

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170
Dec 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

reading all these nasty comments about the motorcyclist really irks the crap out of me...because the news pretty much makes it seem like its the motorcyclist fault because it was speeding...thats all people go by...take a look at it from the other side...inexperienced driver at the wheel...stop sign...possibility it did a "california stop"? possibility she did not look both ways before proceeding? and what is up with 4 children in the back...not enough seat belts for all of them...
dude...my kid with a permit would definetly not be driving around with kids in the car ESPECIALLY if theres not enough seat belts...nor would my kid be driving with anybody other than me...
so with all that said...EVERYBODY in this tragic accident is in my prayers...
pauoagirl

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#171
Dec 28, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way.. good try changing your story. Before it was "IF" I lost someone. now it's "I DID". Interesting.
wow. you really are something. i didn't want to have to bring up my sis but obviously i had no choice. u made it seem like i didn't understand. but i do. you got your s**t all twisted!
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#172
Dec 28, 2009
 
pauoagirl wrote:
<quoted text>
wow. you really are something. i didn't want to have to bring up my sis but obviously i had no choice. u made it seem like i didn't understand. but i do. you got your s**t all twisted!
Good backpedaling. Nice try again..
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#173
Dec 28, 2009
 
itz me wrote:
reading all these nasty comments about the motorcyclist really irks the crap out of me...because the news pretty much makes it seem like its the motorcyclist fault because it was speeding...thats all people go by...take a look at it from the other side...inexperienced driver at the wheel...stop sign...possibility it did a "california stop"? possibility she did not look both ways before proceeding? and what is up with 4 children in the back...not enough seat belts for all of them...
dude...my kid with a permit would definetly not be driving around with kids in the car ESPECIALLY if theres not enough seat belts...nor would my kid be driving with anybody other than me...
so with all that said...EVERYBODY in this tragic accident is in my prayers...
Or maybe the fact that the motorcyclist was speeding, AND SWERVED INTO THE LANE FOR OPPOSITE TRAFFIC? Or did that little tidbit escape you. He was an idiot for driving the way he did. That girl did nothing wrong. She was already out of his way when HE SWERVED INTO. HER! Read the article thoroughly before making dumb comments...
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#174
Dec 28, 2009
 
pauoagirl wrote:
<quoted text>
wow. you really are something. i didn't want to have to bring up my sis but obviously i had no choice. u made it seem like i didn't understand. but i do. you got your s**t all twisted!
If my sister got killed by a drunk driver, racer, speeder, or otherwise, I wouldn't wish them well. I would want his head on a platter, or better, give him a rope with which he could hang himself out of shame.

By the way. Still glad the guy is dead...
pauoagirl

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#175
Dec 28, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
If my sister got killed by a drunk driver, racer, speeder, or otherwise, I wouldn't wish them well. I would want his head on a platter, or better, give him a rope with which he could hang himself out of shame.
By the way. Still glad the guy is dead...
it's not like i wish da guy well. i don't believe in wishing people would die or stuff like that.
get real

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#176
Dec 28, 2009
 
itz me wrote:
reading all these nasty comments about the motorcyclist really irks the crap out of me...because the news pretty much makes it seem like its the motorcyclist fault because it was speeding...thats all people go by...take a look at it from the other side...inexperienced driver at the wheel...stop sign...possibility it did a "california stop"? possibility she did not look both ways before proceeding? and what is up with 4 children in the back...not enough seat belts for all of them...
dude...my kid with a permit would definetly not be driving around with kids in the car ESPECIALLY if theres not enough seat belts...nor would my kid be driving with anybody other than me...
so with all that said...EVERYBODY in this tragic accident is in my prayers...
Go read the story again and the estimation of the M/C's speed in this case. If you still can't see that the M/C rider was at fault in this collision, then you are either dumb, or just plain ignorant. Your choice, which would you rather be.

get real
Slow Down

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#177
Dec 29, 2009
 
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, too expensive....and for what? A warning!?!?? Hah! That should curb speeders from speeding! get real
You say the idea of videocams in speed areas is too expensive. Your idea is more law enforcement. That would require hiring more officers. Salaries, benefits, overtime -- how much do they cost? Videocams are one time purchases.
Slow Down

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#178
Dec 29, 2009
 
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Warnings don't work for stupid people (and that's really what these idiots are). They should increase fines more or even better... ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE LAWS WE HAVE NOW. Anyone doing more than 20 (forgive me for not knowing the exact amount) over the speed limit or over 80 period can be arrested on the spot. Do more of those and you'll see a lot less speeders. Confiscation of cars would be good but HPD says they. Have no where to store them. Screw it! Take them and scrap them...espcially if it's racers. Those cars are usually illegaly modded anyways.
You can call them anything you want, but speeders don't like expensive fines.
When traffic cams went up on the Pali, people hated them and booted them out -- but man, they were effective.
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#179
Dec 29, 2009
 
If modern vehicles were involved, the on-board computers could tell exactly what speed the vehicles were going at the exactmoment of impact. The truth is, no-one really cares to check.
get real

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180
Dec 29, 2009
 
Slow Down wrote:
<quoted text>
You say the idea of videocams in speed areas is too expensive. Your idea is more law enforcement. That would require hiring more officers. Salaries, benefits, overtime -- how much do they cost? Videocams are one time purchases.
I am all for slowing down drivers and think we are on the same team here, but to give a warning, instead of significant fines and / or confiscation of their vehicles - or something other than what would be in essense, a "slap on the wrist", is something that I would jockey for.

The van cams of the past were very effective, but there were some major issues that were not completely addressed (constitutionality, private enterprise in collecting fees from each tag given,...) that ultimately got them booted out. It was a scam introduced by that crook of a representative from Waipahu - Roy Sakamoto - who was probably getting kickbacks from the van cam company he pushed to get the contract for that short period. Business as usual in the Nei. Unreal!!

Since: Jan 08

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#181
Dec 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Stumpy wrote:
If modern vehicles were involved, the on-board computers could tell exactly what speed the vehicles were going at the exactmoment of impact. The truth is, no-one really cares to check.
Not all vehicle manufacturers allow for the retrieval of crash data. The truth is, the data is downloaded in cases of serious crashes by some police departments, including in Hawaii.

Some of the information you can extract includes speed, engine RPM, seatbelt use or nonuse, and braking. I am not aware of any Event Data Recorders on motorcycles, since they were initially installed to improve airbag performance.

The data extracted comes very close to speed estimates by police reconstructionists using traditional methods.
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#182
Dec 29, 2009
 
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all for slowing down drivers and think we are on the same team here, but to give a warning, instead of significant fines and / or confiscation of their vehicles - or something other than what would be in essense, a "slap on the wrist", is something that I would jockey for.
The van cams of the past were very effective, but there were some major issues that were not completely addressed (constitutionality, private enterprise in collecting fees from each tag given,...) that ultimately got them booted out. It was a scam introduced by that crook of a representative from Waipahu - Roy Sakamoto - who was probably getting kickbacks from the van cam company he pushed to get the contract for that short period. Business as usual in the Nei. Unreal!!
Willy espero too. I asked to see a list of the people that invested in the van-scam vans, because there was word that a few polititians were involved before they were even delivered. The investigation revealed that there was no investigation, and then the vans were stopped so nothing was ever done. But, connected people were really grumbling about their loss of revenue from the vans, and Willy led the charge to bring them back.
Slow Down

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#183
Dec 30, 2009
 
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all for slowing down drivers and think we are on the same team here, but to give a warning, instead of significant fines and / or confiscation of their vehicles - or something other than what would be in essense, a "slap on the wrist", is something that I would jockey for.
The van cams of the past were very effective, but there were some major issues that were not completely addressed (constitutionality, private enterprise in collecting fees from each tag given,...) that ultimately got them booted out. It was a scam introduced by that crook of a representative from Waipahu - Roy Sakamoto - who was probably getting kickbacks from the van cam company he pushed to get the contract for that short period. Business as usual in the Nei. Unreal!!
I would go for a warning the first time, for people who are first time offenders, and who aren't going unreasonably fast. The reason people despised van cam sweeps was that they were merciless. Like giant speed traps. Sometimes nine miles over the speed limit meant a ticket in the mail.
It was an excellent way to get traffic to slow down in chronic speeding zones though. Pali Highway has been safer ever since.
We need Highway cams in dangerous areas, with a bit more mercy except for the worst cases.
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#184
Dec 31, 2009
 
Slow Down wrote:
<quoted text>
We need Highway cams in dangerous areas, with a bit more mercy except for the worst cases.
reasonable speed limits would help too. Speed limits from the fifties with today's cars? For example, Ft. Weaver road. The speed limit is set artificially low, and this morning cops were using lasers to catch people speeding. I imagine they did well, because people aren't going to crawl down an open, wide stretch.
disappointed

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#185
Jan 22, 2010
 
Shame on all of you who are speaking ill..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 141 - 160 of161
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Watch for Honolulu County was issued at July 21 at 3:54PM HST

•••
•••
•••
Aiea Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Aiea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Aiea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Aiea
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••