State morally obligated to help Micronesians - Hawaii Editorials

When Gov. Linda Lingle proposed a new health care program for Micronesians as a cost-cutting measure, migrants from the Compact nations saw the action as a death sentence. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
willie

Farmington, MI

#2 Sep 1, 2009
Get the FEdS to pay for the care of ANYONE alive during the tests not anyone of micronesian decent. How many generations get a free ride anyway?
Old bird

Honolulu, HI

#3 Sep 1, 2009
willie wrote:
Get the FEdS to pay for the care of ANYONE alive during the tests not anyone of micronesian decent. How many generations get a free ride anyway?
Willie my boy I agree with you ,but are they not the offspring with damaged genes,immune systems,and a host of deseases from those nuclear weapons? Yes we are broke, and the promise came from the Feds. Let them step up to the plate and take responsibility for their promises.

Since: Jan 09

Honolulu

#4 Sep 1, 2009
Why don't all of these people have jobs? If they are employed 20 hours per week minimum, they have health care benefits offered by the employer. They look young enough to be working. Anyone 65 and older or disabled qualify for Medicare and dialysis is covered.
OnlyParadise

Kapolei, HI

#6 Sep 1, 2009
i don't care what ethnicity anyone getting a hand out comes from.

If there is something for free someone will take advantage of it.

If there are guidelines to how you can get welfare, handouts and limits on how long you can get the free money or services then the abuse will slow or cease.

Carrying the damaged genes of atomic bomb victims is really far fetch. And how long will the gene be passed through before it will not appear again in new born ?

150 years? like slavery? that is still going on according to many liberals who want to give your money away but not their own money.

leave it to government then you will see a welfare state.

be a sheep
vote democrap
satch7

Honolulu, HI

#7 Sep 1, 2009
The State is NOT morally obligated to help the Micronesians. It is the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that is not only morally obligated but should be held responsible for the plight of the Micronesians as they created this compact and were responsible for many of the health problems stemming from the experiement A-bomb explosions in the area decades ago resulting in many of the medical illnesses of these people. They should be providing the financial assistance to the state in helping these people in the economic, health, and social adjustment in our state. But Obama and Congress have left it to the states which have little or no monies to provide this assistance.
Okihwn

Lihue, HI

#9 Sep 1, 2009
Agree - the State of Hawaii is not obligated to help the Micronesians - it is the Federal Government!

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

Denver, CO

#10 Sep 1, 2009
I am tired of free handouts. I don't care who you are, why you are a victim, or whether the government is the US or the kingdom. People need to take responsibility for themselves, not wait to be 'taken care of.' There might be a 'moral responsibility' but what about self responsibility? I have worked all of my life, sometimes 2 or 3 jobs per day to take care of myself and my family. I do not want or expect anyone to take care of me, why should they?
boycott

Pearl City, HI

#12 Sep 1, 2009
if Star Bulletin doesn't moderate the hate speech on this site

a boycott will be organized --- and advertisers and subscribers will be targeted

enabling this filth is unacceptable and will be brought to an end
Flexo

Keauhou, HI

#14 Sep 1, 2009
satch7 wrote:
The State is NOT morally obligated to help the Micronesians. It is the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that is not only morally obligated but should be held responsible for the plight of the Micronesians as they created this compact and were responsible for many of the health problems stemming from the experiement A-bomb explosions in the area decades ago resulting in many of the medical illnesses of these people. They should be providing the financial assistance to the state in helping these people in the economic, health, and social adjustment in our state. But Obama and Congress have left it to the states which have little or no monies to provide this assistance.
I was with you until the very end when you tried to lay this at Obama's feet. He deserves credit only because he was part of the US Senate when COFA was created, but then you should name all the memebers of Congress when it was enacted. But if you're looking to credit a president, then it has to be that guy from Texas or perhaps his predecessor.
Donkey

Waianae, HI

#15 Sep 1, 2009
Ever try getting on of these jerks to support himself ?

I guess we should all have free medical, food, housing, cars,......... after all the world is polluted from humans on it.
vinagirl

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 1, 2009
Hello where have you been? the Micronesians already tapped those accounts, since they have been here that is all they been doing sucking up the non profit orgainization due to their situation, but to begin with the Federal Government is liable bottome line, the Federal Government created this problem it's high time they take this responsibility to service this people who are instilled with the acceptance that it's owed to them. And the stimulus money are for US citizens? people who have/had worked for it them taxpayers! Raise money for them to receive free medical? Raise money so they can have a one way ticket back home, it's nice there the advertisment said lots of gorgious sites, places to see there, the microns have a nice piece of island to return to and they can sustain their life style closet to nature. And this situation was inccured by Lingle from previous leadership, the governor of that time funneld taxpayor dollars in moments of compassion not now! It's reality Hawaii cannot sustain these people and further, many of them are able bodied, well, and can work, but in their minds why should we, when they are sucking up all the benefits our state is giving to them? they drive around with their huge suv, trucks, escalades, and flaunt with huge gold smiles yeah your tax dollars nice ha! there is no sense of appreciation, common decency and respect concerning the children and the parents.This situation is not a matter of compassion but of reality. Gather them all, all 7500 of them and put them in your house of worship Ms Estrella, have them toll the green area, clean the house of prayer, grow veges, simple task to see if they are as true as they want themselves to be.

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#17 Sep 1, 2009
The Starbulletin missed the mark again. It's not the "state" of Hawai'i. It's the Feds.

Poor poor poor reporting.
REAL

Honolulu, HI

#18 Sep 1, 2009
I doubt the PRESIDENT and FEDERAL government at that time had warm and fuzzy feelings about the people of micronesia when they let loose those radioactive bombs. They were virtually human guinea pigs and likewise were the manned navy ships positioned to obsserve these tests.

The scientists, making their livelihood on these projects against humanity knew very well the implications of these blasts.

I doubt that diabetes is one of the results of nuclear fallout. The FEDS should plow FEDERAL funds into micronesia so its own governmant can sustain itself and its people. Hawaii should not be a part of the FEDERAL government's atrocious violation in micronesia.

But if the FEDS coin Lingle's jingle: "We all need to share the burden",have the FEDERAL government pay to fly the micronesians, room and board, to other States in the United States for their free health treatments.

There's no free lunch for the sins against humanity.
Von

Aiea, HI

#19 Sep 1, 2009
Is there anyone under 300 lbs ?

Three of me will fit inside one of them yet I'm not crying for all kinds of free stuff.

No one will ever have to take care of me and I am proud of it.

Now will these people ever learn how to get along with the rest of the world? Go to work, stop being so lazy and stop crying for free stuff from the rest of us. Stop smashing all the car windows and partying with loud music all night long while the rest of us have to feed you and take care of your very need.
Leeward Lolo

Chicago, IL

#21 Sep 1, 2009
I have had health insurance my entire life, either through employment or I PAY FOR IT MYSELF.

Never had I had dental, pay for that myself.
But I see these micros will receive dental free also. More lovely silver teeth.

What's wrong here????
Hawaii 96782

Honolulu, HI

#22 Sep 1, 2009
COFA was enacted at the end of the 40s and early 50s. Congress recently re-enacted COFA for the Micros. We're on COFA 3. Fed problem. Ship them to D.C. where the Feds who make policy are. The Feds currently give 10 cents on the dollar, of about 10 million to Hawaii for them. So, after the 10 million rund out, just say, Hey, your program, is broke, no more bennies until next year.
Leeward Lolo

Chicago, IL

#23 Sep 1, 2009
vinagirl wrote:
Hello where have you been? the Micronesians already tapped those accounts, since they have been here that is all they been doing sucking up the non profit orgainization due to their situation, but to begin with the Federal Government is liable bottome line, the Federal Government created this problem it's high time they take this responsibility to service this people who are instilled with the acceptance that it's owed to them. And the stimulus money are for US citizens? people who have/had worked for it them taxpayers! Raise money for them to receive free medical? Raise money so they can have a one way ticket back home, it's nice there the advertisment said lots of gorgious sites, places to see there, the microns have a nice piece of island to return to and they can sustain their life style closet to nature. And this situation was inccured by Lingle from previous leadership, the governor of that time funneld taxpayor dollars in moments of compassion not now! It's reality Hawaii cannot sustain these people and further, many of them are able bodied, well, and can work, but in their minds why should we, when they are sucking up all the benefits our state is giving to them? they drive around with their huge suv, trucks, escalades, and flaunt with huge gold smiles yeah your tax dollars nice ha! there is no sense of appreciation, common decency and respect concerning the children and the parents.This situation is not a matter of compassion but of reality. Gather them all, all 7500 of them and put them in your house of worship Ms Estrella, have them toll the green area, clean the house of prayer, grow veges, simple task to see if they are as true as they want themselves to be.
You got it right except the number I hear is closer to 18,000.

Remember two house fires they started and in one sat in the car port until a neighbor physically pulled them out?

The second was similar but they had no idea who was in the house and a young boy burned.
Leeward Lolo

Chicago, IL

#24 Sep 1, 2009
boycott wrote:
if Star Bulletin doesn't moderate the hate speech on this site
a boycott will be organized --- and advertisers and subscribers will be targeted
enabling this filth is unacceptable and will be brought to an end
So don't read it. You obviously are not paying thousands of dollars a year in taxes. Those of us that do are sick of this nonsense.

Of course along with Hanneman's wild spending, for instance a $10 million building to house the chronics and drunks hanging around Chinatown, most of whom are recent arrivals from mainland states.
At the same times most of our parks and beaches are unusable due to the filth there.
Leeward Lolo

Chicago, IL

#25 Sep 1, 2009
Hawaii 96782 wrote:
COFA was enacted at the end of the 40s and early 50s. Congress recently re-enacted COFA for the Micros. We're on COFA 3. Fed problem. Ship them to D.C. where the Feds who make policy are. The Feds currently give 10 cents on the dollar, of about 10 million to Hawaii for them. So, after the 10 million rund out, just say, Hey, your program, is broke, no more bennies until next year.
If we could ship them out there should be room for all the homeless who got pushed aside when micros went to the front of the line for housing, etc.
Shareholder

Kaneohe, HI

#27 Sep 1, 2009
The Feds bomb them and the Feds should take care of them and not the State of Hawaii. Better yet, the Nation of Micronesia should take care of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Dec 9 Joe Balls 565
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov '14 Guru 60
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov '14 Micro_Stompa 1
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Nov '14 RyancoBryan 23
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov '14 Joe Balls 4
Car Towing scam Nov '14 Stypmann 1
Aiea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Aiea News, Events & Info