Letters to the Editor - Editorials

I find it rather amazing that on the same day we are told the Superferry will shut down because it has failed to complete the environmental paperwork, we learn that the Navy will not even have to pay a fine for dumping 7,000 gallons of raw sewage onto the reef after it was rammed by the USS Port Royal. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

AOL

#22 Mar 20, 2009
Keoni K wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Accidents happen. People seem to forget that nowadays. Get in, cause, or be part of an accident and people use it as a way to get paid. Sort of a reverse 'windfall profit tax.' Knowing that it would ruin his career, I think you can safely assume that the captain did not run aground intentionally. It is hard to blame it on carelessness also, there are too many people involved in conning a ship of that size (yes, I know its ultimately the Captain's responsibility.) There are lots of people who would have said something if they realized they were in danger of running aground. As to the pumping of the sewage, fresh water weighs more than 6 pounds per gallon (closer to 8 I think), multiply it times 5000 gallons, thats a lot of weight. Lightening ship is one of the first steps in refloating a beached vessel. As to the environmental impact of a spill, that is something I know a bit about, I am a public health sanitarian (look it up, has nothing to do with trash collection.) Yes, there is an impact from dumping sewage into the water, but it will rapidly be mitigated by dilution. Currents and wave action will also spread and further dilute the contaminant. I am NOT saying its not harmful, I am saying that the long term effects of individual spills are overrated by the public. I wouldn't want to swim in that water right after it happened, but by now, you couldn't tell that a spill had occurred if you tested.
In short, it was an accident. The reef was damaged, but it will survive. Fish were affected, but they will survive. The captain and bridge crews careers will probably NOT survive, but that may (or may not) be appropriate. Stop treating every accident as an apocalypse or a way to wring money out of others. Learn from them and move on.
Great job on explaining things to those that refuse to learn the facts.
kalapaki

Wahiawa, HI

#23 Mar 20, 2009
Hiloan wrote:
Why is there no story on hussein obama's gaffe concerning the Special Olympics in the the hussein obama starbulletin or the hussein obama advertiser. I can answer that question. It is because these two hussein obama papers would not print anything negative on their boy, or if they did, they would bury it in the back pages.
You are so right about that! Are you listening, Star Bull editors? Can't wait for this paper to tank due to bias. People aren't stupid.

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

#24 Mar 20, 2009
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It WAS raw sewage. The Navy are the ones now saying it was sea water, not an independent body. They are lying, as they have several times in this whole fiasco. In the past they said it WAS raw sewage, but then they must have though "Oh, cra*p! Shouldn't have said that!" and now they have changed their story. Scroll up in the google search box type "port royal raw sewage". The first thing is Navy admitting it was raw seagwe. Exact quote:
The Navy was further embarrassed when the state Health Department disclosed Tuesday that the Port Royal had dumped 5,000 gallon of raw sewage and not reported the incident. A Navy spokesman said that if the Port Royal had not discharged the waste water, it would have backed up into the ship.
Click on the 2nd link. It says at first the Navy didn't even admit anything was dumped, even sea water. Exact quote:
State health officials said the Navy did not promptly report the dumping of 5,000 gallons of sewage from the USS Port Royal while it was stuck on a shoal south of Honolulu Airport.
Watson Okubo, chief of the monitoring and analysis section of the Health Department's Clean Water Branch, said yesterday the discharge occurred between Friday night and 10 a.m. Sunday.
Okubo said the Navy never mentioned the discharge of raw sewage even though two Health Department representatives attended a Navy briefing Sunday afternoon at Pearl Harbor.
So don't believe anything the Navy says, they lie constantly.
So much concern over raw sewage yet nobody speaks of the "urban outdoorsmen" who are using our waters as their trash can. Is there only umbrage when it is the Navy involved? No anger against those too lazy to use a trash can?
summer

Kailua, HI

#25 Mar 20, 2009
I'm with Hiloan & Kalapaki. I already stop subscripted to both of the papers because of their bias reports during the election. Let them have hussein osama bails them out when they tanked!!!
Fisherman

Lanai City, HI

#26 Mar 20, 2009
Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
And if they get married, they're "urban cowboy outdoorsmen".
After searching for 'Urban Cowboy', I realize I got the wrong movie. Was trying to make a gay marriage joke and was thinking of 'Midnight Cowboy'. I didn't mean to imply that John Travolta is a homosexual.
djs

Aiea, HI

#27 Mar 20, 2009
Hiloan wrote:
Why is there no story on hussein obama's gaffe concerning the Special Olympics in the the hussein obama starbulletin or the hussein obama advertiser. I can answer that question. It is because these two hussein obama papers would not print anything negative on their boy, or if they did, they would bury it in the back pages.
The president has a first name and it's not Hussein. Makes you look stupid.
Hmmmmmmmm

United States

#29 Mar 20, 2009
This post is not in regards to any of today's editorial but just a question to the editor of the SB. I just noticed your web edition of SB regarding the latest breaking news - re: Pali shooting trials verdict. I just wanted to ask the SB if there was a change in the spelling of the word "defendants". I am just curious because the SB spelling of that word is shown as "defendents" and I just wanted to know if there was a change that I may have missed somewhere down the line.
Hmmmmmmmm

United States

#30 Mar 20, 2009
kalapaki wrote:
<quoted text>You are so right about that! Are you listening, Star Bull editors? Can't wait for this paper to tank due to bias. People aren't stupid.
Because good journalists don't waste time on such petty issues that are non-newsworthy!!! You all must be unemployed with just way too much time on your hand in the islands!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Nov 19 Joe Balls 6
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov 16 Guru 60
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Nov 15 dudealohajoe 559
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov 12 Micro_Stompa 1
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Nov 6 RyancoBryan 23
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov 2 Joe Balls 4
Car Towing scam Nov 1 Stypmann 1
Aiea Dating
Find my Match

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Aiea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Aiea

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]