Letters to the Editor - Editorials

Letters to the Editor - Editorials

There are 28 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 20, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I find it rather amazing that on the same day we are told the Superferry will shut down because it has failed to complete the environmental paperwork, we learn that the Navy will not even have to pay a fine for dumping 7,000 gallons of raw sewage onto the reef after it was rammed by the USS Port Royal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
willie

Plymouth, MI

#1 Mar 20, 2009
"urban outdoorsmen"

Is that the new PC phrase for bums?
Chuck

Kahului, HI

#2 Mar 20, 2009
In repsect for Mr Revero, it was not raw sewage, but salt water used for flushing. Stop the fear mongering.
You make it sound like it was all done on purpose.
It was an accident and nothing more.
When it is all over and done with, the Navy will make things right. They are more sensitive to the environment than several of the people living on this island and think the ocean is their own dumping ground. Not to mention the sewer spills our own island has dumped these past few years.
I pick upi trash often on the beaches here and I can testify that the stuff I pick up has nothing to do with the Navy.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#3 Mar 20, 2009
Chuck wrote:
In repsect for Mr Revero, it was not raw sewage, but salt water used for flushing. Stop the fear mongering.
When it is all over and done with, the Navy will make things right. They are more sensitive to the environment than several of the people living on this island and think the ocean is their own dumping ground. Not to mention the sewer spills our own island has dumped these past few years.
I pick upi trash often on the beaches here and I can testify that the stuff I pick up has nothing to do with the Navy.
I have a really dumb question. Why would they store 7000 gallons of sea water to use for flushing when they are floating on an ocean of it? From what I have read it was MOSTLY sea water and SOME sewage not all sea water.
Fisherman

Honolulu, HI

#4 Mar 20, 2009
The caption above Michael Rivero's letter,'it's about money...', is unfortunately true. But his reason is wrong. Without high ridership (high ticket prices and/or big gov. subsidies), the superferry would never make money. Especially in these hard economic times, it was losing lots of money.
It appears, as things get worse, people are attacking each other more(mostly verbally). Generalizing about others from different islands, and calling each other names will not help anything.
Fisherman

Honolulu, HI

#5 Mar 20, 2009
willie wrote:
"urban outdoorsmen"
Is that the new PC phrase for bums?
And if they get married, they're "urban cowboy outdoorsmen".
willie

Plymouth, MI

#6 Mar 20, 2009
Fisherman wrote:
The caption above Michael Rivero's letter,'it's about money...', is unfortunately true. But his reason is wrong. Without high ridership (high ticket prices and/or big gov. subsidies), the superferry would never make money. Especially in these hard economic times, it was losing lots of money.
It appears, as things get worse, people are attacking each other more(mostly verbally). Generalizing about others from different islands, and calling each other names will not help anything.
They made most of their money off of frieght not passengers. Care to name what subsidies they got? Other than the harbor work I am not aware of any government subsidy.

Guess the eco terrorist could not simply wait for them to go bancrupt huh...even though they did not appear to be losing money.
Hiloan

Torrance, CA

#7 Mar 20, 2009
Why is there no story on hussein obama's gaffe concerning the Special Olympics in the the hussein obama starbulletin or the hussein obama advertiser. I can answer that question. It is because these two hussein obama papers would not print anything negative on their boy, or if they did, they would bury it in the back pages.
manini

Kapaau, HI

#8 Mar 20, 2009
Commenting on the letter from Bob Kern. Current DLNR Chairperson Thielen has become enamored with fees and fines. We have the "Recreational Renaissance" to collect fees and the "Broken Window" program to generate and collect fines. She apparently feels she can balance her piece of the state budget with these programs, to the detriment of both our visitors and residents.
Rob

Ashburn, VA

#9 Mar 20, 2009
Chuck wrote:
Wrong. It WAS raw sewage. The Navy are the ones now saying it was sea water, not an independent body. They are lying, as they have several times in this whole fiasco. In the past they said it WAS raw sewage, but then they must have though "Oh, cra*p! Shouldn't have said that!" and now they have changed their story. Scroll up in the google search box type "port royal raw sewage". The first thing is Navy admitting it was raw seagwe. Exact quote:

The Navy was further embarrassed when the state Health Department disclosed Tuesday that the Port Royal had dumped 5,000 gallon of raw sewage and not reported the incident. A Navy spokesman said that if the Port Royal had not discharged the waste water, it would have backed up into the ship.

Click on the 2nd link. It says at first the Navy didn't even admit anything was dumped, even sea water. Exact quote:

State health officials said the Navy did not promptly report the dumping of 5,000 gallons of sewage from the USS Port Royal while it was stuck on a shoal south of Honolulu Airport.

Watson Okubo, chief of the monitoring and analysis section of the Health Department's Clean Water Branch, said yesterday the discharge occurred between Friday night and 10 a.m. Sunday.

Okubo said the Navy never mentioned the discharge of raw sewage even though two Health Department representatives attended a Navy briefing Sunday afternoon at Pearl Harbor.

So don't believe anything the Navy says, they lie constantly.
mele

Bronx, NY

#10 Mar 20, 2009
i agree with bob kern's editorial that the DLNR fees will hurt hawaii tourism. this is a bad idea, and one that will also keep local people away from these beautiful places. in the old days, you used to be able to enjoy beaches and nature for free... or for minimal cost. it was easy, fun and simple to hop in the car and go snorkling at hanauma bay, or for $5 hike into waimea bay and go swimming in the fantastic pool up in the mountains.

i feel so blessed to have grown up in these "simple" times... progress and overdevelopment, as well as the greed of politicians and shameless developers have put so much concrete on our islands that one day they are going to break off and float away into the ocean that surrounds us.

although i appreciate the educational aspect of the hanauma bay center-- the beautiful movie, samples of marine life and the neat exhibits, and thomas deir's artwork, it has created more problems that it is solving. most people come to the beach to come to the beach, not get stuck in a long hot line to be corralled like cattle. the same thing will happen up at the pali if they try to charge admission up there. the only good thing about doing that MIGHT be that it would help deter thieves from breaking into the parked cars up there.

DLNR, the politicians and government should be using the money they do get with more modesty and responsibility, rather than trying to get MORE MULA!

just my humble opinion... TGIF!!
gimme a break

Kaneohe, HI

#11 Mar 20, 2009
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a really dumb question. Why would they store 7000 gallons of sea water to use for flushing when they are floating on an ocean of it? From what I have read it was MOSTLY sea water and SOME sewage not all sea water.
Naval vessels use salt water for flushing the toilets. Since fresh water is distilled from sea water on ships, it is a precious commodity, not be be wasted for sanitary purposes. The 7000 gallons was the contents of the sanitary tanks, mixed with the waste. If you go back and read the story, you'd see that it was the sanitary tank that was pumped overboard, which would consist mainly of water with a percentage of the 'whatevers'. In port, a hose is connected and the contents are sent to the sewer systems, however, out in the open sea, the tanks are routinely pumped overboard.
Fisherman

Honolulu, HI

#12 Mar 20, 2009
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
They made most of their money off of frieght not passengers. Care to name what subsidies they got? Other than the harbor work I am not aware of any government subsidy.
Guess the eco terrorist could not simply wait for them to go bancrupt huh...even though they did not appear to be losing money.
Willy,
My thoughts are based on boat experience, reading papers, talking to Molokai and Lanai Ferry personel, and riding the superferry.
I meant, in the future (if there is one), the maintenance will be extremely expensive- they will need big subsidies. They already had one rudder practically fall off (I exagerate a little)(did it hit something??, there are lots of logs and other things to hit)
The big companies/corportations don't tell us much, I know that for a fact.
When I rode the superferry (which was very time consuming and expensive from Lanai) there were hardly any people on it. I am assuming the ridership, if they would show us the numbers, has been too low to make a profit.$49 one way? Have you seen profit numbers for freight? I doubt that. Young Brothers and Kamaka Air are fairly reasonable and good competition.
I do feel bad for the people who have lost their jobs.
My main point was that I hope, in these hard times, people can come together and help each other.(and it was only a matter of time before the supperferry went under)
Fun Dumb Mental

Honolulu, HI

#13 Mar 20, 2009
Some of these coments are about a number 2 concern. I say, start a new government program encouraging people to develop a taste for little brown trigger fish. Filleted and deep fried, they are pretty good, kind of like kiskies or SOS.
Bongo

San Antonio, TX

#14 Mar 20, 2009
Keep the Super Ferry, get rid of the Sierra Club.
Interstate Highway-3

Honolulu, HI

#15 Mar 20, 2009
I think the State Supreme Court has opened the door to the unknown when it comes to specific legislation. There are many, many county ordinances that are site or item specific that could be proven "unconstitutional" if you pay for a good lawyer. The ruling broke down King Kamehameha's vision of uniting the Hawaiian Islands. Now we have the new hawaiians from the west coast trying to make their own little kingdom of kauai and maui. If they go back they can drive from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from Canada to Mexico without restrictions. Why not allow the islanders the same freedom to travel from county to county????
willie

Plymouth, MI

#16 Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply fisherman. You said:

"When I rode the superferry (which was very time consuming and expensive from Lanai)"

I bet it was since you needed to either ferry over to Maui then catch the SF or fly to Honolulu or Maui to catch it.

BTW, I don't consider the other means of shipping fright "resonable" in fact every chance they get they jack up their prices...but that is besides the fact I guess.

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

San Jose, CA

#17 Mar 20, 2009
Chuck wrote:
You are right. Accidents happen. People seem to forget that nowadays. Get in, cause, or be part of an accident and people use it as a way to get paid. Sort of a reverse 'windfall profit tax.' Knowing that it would ruin his career, I think you can safely assume that the captain did not run aground intentionally. It is hard to blame it on carelessness also, there are too many people involved in conning a ship of that size (yes, I know its ultimately the Captain's responsibility.) There are lots of people who would have said something if they realized they were in danger of running aground. As to the pumping of the sewage, fresh water weighs more than 6 pounds per gallon (closer to 8 I think), multiply it times 5000 gallons, thats a lot of weight. Lightening ship is one of the first steps in refloating a beached vessel. As to the environmental impact of a spill, that is something I know a bit about, I am a public health sanitarian (look it up, has nothing to do with trash collection.) Yes, there is an impact from dumping sewage into the water, but it will rapidly be mitigated by dilution. Currents and wave action will also spread and further dilute the contaminant. I am NOT saying its not harmful, I am saying that the long term effects of individual spills are overrated by the public. I wouldn't want to swim in that water right after it happened, but by now, you couldn't tell that a spill had occurred if you tested.

In short, it was an accident. The reef was damaged, but it will survive. Fish were affected, but they will survive. The captain and bridge crews careers will probably NOT survive, but that may (or may not) be appropriate. Stop treating every accident as an apocalypse or a way to wring money out of others. Learn from them and move on.
Capt Crapper

Waterbury, CT

#18 Mar 20, 2009
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It WAS raw sewage. The Navy are the ones now saying it was sea water, not an independent body. They are lying, as they have several times in this whole fiasco. In the past they said it WAS raw sewage, but then they must have though "Oh, cra*p! Shouldn't have said that!" and now they have changed their story. Scroll up in the google search box type "port royal raw sewage". The first thing is Navy admitting it was raw seagwe. Exact quote:
The Navy was further embarrassed when the state Health Department disclosed Tuesday that the Port Royal had dumped 5,000 gallon of raw sewage and not reported the incident. A Navy spokesman said that if the Port Royal had not discharged the waste water, it would have backed up into the ship.
Click on the 2nd link. It says at first the Navy didn't even admit anything was dumped, even sea water. Exact quote:
State health officials said the Navy did not promptly report the dumping of 5,000 gallons of sewage from the USS Port Royal while it was stuck on a shoal south of Honolulu Airport.
Watson Okubo, chief of the monitoring and analysis section of the Health Department's Clean Water Branch, said yesterday the discharge occurred between Friday night and 10 a.m. Sunday.
Okubo said the Navy never mentioned the discharge of raw sewage even though two Health Department representatives attended a Navy briefing Sunday afternoon at Pearl Harbor.
So don't believe anything the Navy says, they lie constantly.
Rob, this is the Toilet Police. We have you surrounded. Please provide a courtesy flush, put the seat down and come out with your hands up.
Ben

AOL

#20 Mar 20, 2009
Capt Crapper wrote:
<quoted text>Rob, this is the Toilet Police. We have you surrounded. Please provide a courtesy flush, put the seat down and come out with your hands up.
You have made my day, thanks for the chuckle.
It is amazing when something isn't to someone's liking, the facts are changed.
Great job.
Giggles

Camarillo, CA

#21 Mar 20, 2009
Interesting editorial on the need to create a system for distributing ...well, you read the thing. Just goes to show you that editorialists must just sit behind a desk inventing ways to illustrate their almost total avoidance of flirting of reality. Who in their right mind is not aware of all those acres of pacalolo thriving on the Big Isle and it's lesser sized sisters? The delivery system is well in place, children, evidenced by the aroma of blue wafting about on breezeless nights. Of course, well, no need to go there ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Witness recounts grim execution-style slaying -... (Oct '09) May 23 Joe Balls 23
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) May 23 Musikologist 20
Iroquois Point Music Thread (Aug '16) Feb '17 Musikologist 3
News Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Jan '17 Joe Balls 572
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Jan '17 White Supremacist 433
I lived in Aiea 1968/70 (Oct '15) Nov '16 Reese 2
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Oct '16 Musikologist 11

Aiea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aiea Mortgages