More than 10,000 children in isles remain uninsured - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Hawaii appears to be increasing health insurance coverage among residents. But despite the state's health insurance programs for the poor and elderly, it still has tens of thousands of uninsured, including more than 10,000 children.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 22, 2009
huh

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

HMSA and Kaiser have childrens insurance under $100

that GAP group needs to sign their kids up
Spud2

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

How can Hawaii have uninsured children with the federal SCHIP program covering them until the age of 25? Smoke'm if you got'em! It for the children.
Puka shells

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

1st in the nation with 3 generations under the same roof. Is there any other choice with rents unaffordable. Lots of jobs that pay only minimum pay so people have to have more than 1 job. Our Filipino population is probably why we our #1 in the nation where 3 generations live together. I take my hat off because they set a example of getting along with extended family. The #1 position for carpooling baffles me. When I observe rush hour and how many cars have just the driver aboard I think the consensus is mistaken. The HOV lane with very few vehicles with 3 people aboard looks deserted and should be changed back to just 2.
bumpercrop

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

If the most socialized place outside of Cuba and North Korea doesn't insure everyone what chance is there for an entire country of 300 million. I say garbage, don't let the government get their fingers into everything. Maybe some people don't want to be insured. Deal with it.
You breed um you feed um

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

How is this my problem?

As a responsible person who takes care of his family why should my taxes be raised to provide insurance for people who aren't responsible enough to not have kids when they can't afford to take care of them?
Jerry Okamura

Haiku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

The medical inflation rate is at or above 8% per year? Doesn't that mean that the cost of health insurance has to increase by at least that amount every year? What is the annual increase in a persons take home pay?
swannie

Ocean View, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

I'm a fixed income retiree, the outfit I retired from tossed all the retired folks under the bus from participating in the group medical plan. Reading about the tidy compensation packages that HMSA et. al. executives give themselves while denying payouts to policy holders raises my blood pressure, so I self insure. I bank 6000$ dollars every year that would otherwise feed those jackals. It takes some will power not to spend that money, at least I know it's there for treatment I may need, which is a lot more than you can say for the insurance company promises.
ilima

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

"Schwartz said the department halted the release of funds for the gap group because people who could afford insurance were entering the health insurance program."

Don't you get it, Schwartzy? Those folks COULD NOT afford health insurance. We have the highest housing costs in the country. Food is similarly expensive. Many are hanging on by a thread despite making well over the median income.

You suck, Toni Schwartz and so does Linda Lingle. Kids DESERVE insurance regardless of their parents' income. If their parents aren't providing insurance, the state should ensure they are insured!!
Pualani

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

I have one grandson with no medical insurance. He used to be on medquest but CPS with the court's approval, gave him to his father, who does have a job and medical insurance for himself but feels it costs too much to also insure his son. I am willing to add him to my medical plan and pay for a family plan to cover him but my carrier requires I be the legal guardian. The father won't allow that because he likes having his son as a dependent for tax purposes. I don't care; I just want my grandson to have medical coverage! Who can we turn to for help in this type of situation.I have a hard time understanding how his father can let him go without coverage!!!
Mike

Kalispell, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

As soon as we get rid of for profit health insurance all of these problems related to health care in Hawaii and the rest of the U.S. will quickly be solved.
doi

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

Pualani wrote:
I have one grandson with no medical insurance. He used to be on medquest but CPS with the court's approval, gave him to his father, who does have a job and medical insurance for himself but feels it costs too much to also insure his son. I am willing to add him to my medical plan and pay for a family plan to cover him but my carrier requires I be the legal guardian. The father won't allow that because he likes having his son as a dependent for tax purposes. I don't care; I just want my grandson to have medical coverage! Who can we turn to for help in this type of situation.I have a hard time understanding how his father can let him go without coverage!!!
Poppa only thinks about himself and how much money he can save for himself.

Since: Jan 09

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Mike wrote:
As soon as we get rid of for profit health insurance all of these problems related to health care in Hawaii and the rest of the U.S. will quickly be solved.
Uhhhh..yeah..got it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aiea Discussions

Search the Aiea Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Sun -Lily- 14
26-year-old man arrested after rash of Waipahu ... Sun Joe Balls 1
Armed robber hits Wendy's restaurant in Kunia Sat Joe Balls 35
looking for an old friend named JD Jul 25 kentucky man 1
Solo Bike Officer Hit, Woman Arrested for DUI Jul 25 local warrior 3
HPD program teaches law basics, discipline (May '08) Jul 24 Hickey Balls 587
Honolulu police looking for potential recruits Jul 21 Leward lolo 16
•••
•••