'Third rail' of isle politics looms just over horizon - Hawaii ...

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Sitting just over the horizon but looming closer is the biggest smash-mouth political fight that nobody wants.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Sep 20, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
haole

Quincy, MA

#1 Sep 16, 2009
want to destroy what's left of the tourism industry,codify this law and their will be no more tourist.
willie

Farmington, MI

#2 Sep 16, 2009
Is the staff at the SB mostly gay? They keep bringing this up over and over and over without actually adding anything to the story.

Look for the hundreds of pro/anti gay posts to begin.....with the same stuff from both camps we have all read a million times.
Richard Simmons

San Diego, CA

#3 Sep 16, 2009
I don't see any problems with this law. Me and my boy Abercrombie can finally make it official. Also Mr. Lingle will be able to come clean. Sweat these oldies clones!
Mahuligan

Honolulu, HI

#5 Sep 16, 2009
Prediction: Abercrombie will try to milk this issue and exploit it for publicity in the race for governor.
Barbara Woerner

Honolulu, HI

#6 Sep 16, 2009
Same Sex Marriage is not Marriage at all but a demand on the part of homosexuals that everyone know what is going on in their filthy and perverted bedrooms...or wherever they do it. Abercrombie is a man not of these times..he would do well in Russia in 1917, along side Lenin, advising him what to do.
Jerry Okamura

Kula, HI

#7 Sep 16, 2009
I thought the voters of Hawaii said they did not want same sex marriage to be allowed in this State? If that is the case, why are the legislators ignoring the wishes of the people? Isn't this one reason for the Tea Party protests, i.e. the government doing what the people do not want them to do? What good is it for the people to say one thing, and our government doing exactly the opposite thing?
Kamaaina

Honolulu, HI

#8 Sep 16, 2009
willie wrote:
Is the staff at the SB mostly gay? They keep bringing this up over and over and over without actually adding anything to the story.
Look for the hundreds of pro/anti gay posts to begin.....with the same stuff from both camps we have all read a million times.
The news about Mufi Hannemann's going around to conservative Christian churches for support was news to me. He just lost my support .
Island Boi

United States

#9 Sep 16, 2009
Once again the Nei is behind the rest of the civilized world. Same sex marriage has not brought any state or country to the brink of disaster. Quite the opposite, nothing has happened. Life goes on, people grow to accept it and move on. This is a "So What" issue that radicals try to spin as the end of the earth or anti bible. Failing to remember the bible has not been scientifically proven to be factual. Real people make decisions, not a book.
so what

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 16, 2009
Kamaaina wrote:
<quoted text>
The news about Mufi Hannemann's going around to conservative Christian churches for support was news to me. He just lost my support .
Oh, don't worry. He is well known for saying anything to gain support, then doing the exact opposite when he gets into office.
willie

Farmington, MI

#11 Sep 16, 2009
Kamaaina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah ok you are right but you should know, he is a cash whor e and will coddle up to any group who pays the most. Seems he is taking this side because it is waht the majority want, and last I checked, the majority is what it takes to get elected.
hijacked

Honolulu, HI

#12 Sep 16, 2009
This non issue will help the idiots at the capitol waste at least half the session "debating", while the real problems facing the state (the ones that need very hard, unpopular decisions to be made) will be ignored...just like last session.
Too many important issues must be dealt with. The leaders of both the House and Senate should just come out on the first day of the session and say that they are not going to look at same sex marriage at all this session.
Locals will understand. Out of state special interests will yell and scream. But tough for them.
hijacked

Honolulu, HI

#13 Sep 16, 2009
Oh, I forgot to add that after wasting at least half the session, those clueless morons still won't make a decision, and shelf the whole thing for the following session.
wharfrat

Ewa Beach, HI

#14 Sep 16, 2009
I predict 95% of their time will be spent on this one issue. Looks like we will have to get out our red shirts again. We are ready.
hijacked

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 16, 2009
sorry about the double post
Pat

Hanalei, HI

#16 Sep 16, 2009
It is difficult to have equal rights in this country, but I chuckled at the political maneuvers listed in your column. A very sad statement about Hawai'i!Equal rights should not be debated. They are a given!
alice

Los Altos, CA

#17 Sep 16, 2009
another mufi fiasco
mario

Kailua Kona, HI

#18 Sep 16, 2009
You mentioned the word rail but the Star Bulletin didn't have any coverage about rail recently.
Hawaii 96782

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 16, 2009
More spin from the spin doctors. We have mixed up apples and oranges again.

What the State regulates is a Civil Union. This confers certain rights and privileges to people who enter into it.

What the religious organizations do are marriages. This is the recognition of the people who enter into it under their beliefs.

Gays can get married, if someone authorized will perform the ceremony. What they don't get is the Civil Union and its benefits, which the State controls.
puna boy

AOL

#20 Sep 16, 2009
mario wrote:
You mentioned the word rail but the Star Bulletin didn't have any coverage about rail recently.
Advertiser mentioned Kam school's attempt to change elevated rail to "at grade. Must have cost thousands for the study. The "Princess" must be turning in her grave at the thought of these moneys being diverted from the education of Hawaiian children. Money could be better spent in investigating the sex issues occuring on campus.
whoa

Aiea, HI

#21 Sep 16, 2009
Mufi is exposed now. Whenlast running his "do we need it, can we afford it, can we maintain it" BS got him a bunch of support. Now we know he'll say anyting to get elected and I predict he won't be getting support from same folks. Later for the Mufia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ewa Beach Music Thread (May '12) Aug 26 Musikologist 16
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Aug 25 Terry 1
Body Discovered with Stab Wounds (Nov '10) Aug 21 Opinion 36
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Aug 18 Musikologist 8
Police Officer Injured Trying to Arrest Suspect... Aug 14 Who are you 1
drunken, obnoxious ugly butch Aug 14 Mia 1
Aloha Sub opening four new locations on Oahu by... Aug 8 American_Infidel 1
•••
•••
Aiea Dating