Street-cleaning hours subject to UPW rules - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Question: Does the state Department of Transportation have to run street cleaners on the H-1 freeway -- going either east or west -- at 8 a.m. while traffic is still heavy? Westbound traffic is bad because there are fewer lanes because of the ZipperLane.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Gimme a break

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

well - if the time to clean the Middle Street Merge can be altered, than why can't the rest of the areas have their times altered to be more benficial to the commuters?
Just another fine example of the intransience of the unions and the relative inability of management (C&C) to make any effort to improve the situation. Who is paying who here? I say get with the program, and managment sets the work schedule and if you wnat to get paid, you'd better show up to work at the appointed hour to do so.
Besides, why do these guys bother to sweep the streets anyways, it looks like they only swirl the opala around and it still looks the same whether or not if is ever swept!
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

very true..the streets look dirty. Another mufi fiasco
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

alice wrote:
very true..the streets look dirty. Another mufi fiasco
Mufi is a street-cleaner? C'mon, the guy is a dink but, jeez.
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

LOL, I was censored but the word is completely innocent. The SB must not allow a LOT of words to be used in any sentence with the word MUFI in it. I wonder if they do the same protective editing service for Bush.
reader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Last I checked, we the commuters/taxpayers are the customers and the UPW is the supplier. Not changing this timing "anytime soon" sounds like the DOT is looking after its vendor, not its customers.
CWD

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Currently, Mufi is not involved with the STATE Department of Transportation's maintenance work on the freeways. Although there are agreements between the City's Department of Facilities Maintenance and DOT for some shared roadways in the rural areas, freeway maintenance is a state function.

Howeverf, should he run for governor and win, then he will have some say in how the freeways are maintained.
Say no to unions

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

reader wrote:
Last I checked, we the commuters/taxpayers are the customers and the UPW is the supplier. Not changing this timing "anytime soon" sounds like the DOT is looking after its vendor, not its customers.
welcome to the State of HI where the unions mandate what the government does.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

The city has deteriroated under mufi's poor leadership.
HiloPango

Pahoa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Street cleaning...does it really DO anything??? All I've observed is a bit of water spitting out and the trash being moved from one place to another by huge noisy brushes, not really being picked up or anything. So the end result? Wet trash!
Go Warriors

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Say no to unions wrote:
<quoted text> welcome to the State of HI where the unions mandate what the government does.
Agree, unions protect and reward marginal work. Look at the US automakers. Why do the non-union manufacturers dominate the industry.?
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

HiloPango wrote:
Street cleaning...does it really DO anything??? All I've observed is a bit of water spitting out and the trash being moved from one place to another by huge noisy brushes, not really being picked up or anything. So the end result? Wet trash!
It does help a little bit, but it would work better if the abandoned cars were towed away first.
Oahuan

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

What negotiations need to be made? Simply tell them to change their sweeping hours to non-peak traffic times or they cannot return. PLENTY of unemployed people right now would kill to get their job.
raton

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

So they run those sweepers so early in the morning is to accomadate those workers? That's ridiculous! With everyone looking for solutions to the traffic problem (the zipper-lane, new rail system, and flex-hours), this is an example of being part of the problem & not the solution. To top it off... they're "conciously" being part of the problem. Fantastic!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aiea Discussions

Search the Aiea Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Memorial Day lei donation sites announced May '14 American_Infidel 14
Rail project closes lanes at busy Pearl City in... Apr '14 Guru 7
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Apr '14 Piss Poor 20
Hawaii Construction Boom: New Developments Comi... Apr '14 Puke 4 3
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 7
Csea Apr '14 Ohana 1
Review: Cash 4 Cars Apr '14 Me again 1
•••
•••