2 pedestrians struck while in crosswa...

2 pedestrians struck while in crosswalks - Hawaii News

There are 61 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 4, 2009, titled 2 pedestrians struck while in crosswalks - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Two pedestrians were critically injured yesterday when they were struck in crosswalks in separate traffic accidents on Oahu.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

DADDY LAU

AOL

#42 Nov 4, 2009
What a bunch of brainless, clueless oafs!!!!!!!!
alice

United States

#43 Nov 4, 2009
David Chung wrote:
<quoted text>
And watch for cyclists! Check your blind spot before making this turn because you will not see cyclists approaching from behind you unless you check your blind spot.
amen!
Kimo

Honolulu, HI

#44 Nov 4, 2009
I have personally witnessed, repeatedly/daily, Police Patrol Cars who speed through Pedestrian Cross-Walks--WTIHOUT EVEN LOOKING or attempting to slow down--so, what kind of example does this provide to the community? If we have Police Officers who behave like Sociopathic Moke's and believe they are above the law and have no respect for the law, then society cannot change by their malfeasant actions and behavior. What Honolulu lacks is CIVILITY, and it starts by example and learning, and as long as citizens have no respect for one another and/or the law--then we are headed for a very big upset, which is already manifesting itself in a very large way... We have a corrupt government on Oahu and thus the citizens are corrupted by examples that have destroyed our local society... Shame on all who do not participate in setting a proper human example!!
Speedy

Honolulu, HI

#45 Nov 4, 2009
We can blame other drivers, pedestrians, police, lawmakers, bikers, sk8erz, aliens, etc., but it will not change them.

All we can do is change our own behavior. Let's all pledge to slow down, pay better attention, and try not to kill anyone who is walking, biking, etc.

Mahalo nui!
whatever

Kihei, HI

#46 Nov 4, 2009
YOU FREAKING GHTO MNKY LOCAL PEOPLE NEED TO SLOW THE F$CK DOWN.
The worst drivers in the world reside right here in the islands. Too much racing..too much tailgating..slow down! You are on a island for f$cks sake.
mike 96816

United States

#47 Nov 4, 2009
Kimo wrote:
I have personally witnessed, repeatedly/daily, Police Patrol Cars who speed through Pedestrian Cross-Walks--WTIHOUT EVEN LOOKING or attempting to slow down--so, what kind of example does this provide to the community? If we have Police Officers who behave like Sociopathic Moke's and believe they are above the law and have no respect for the law, then society cannot change by their malfeasant actions and behavior. What Honolulu lacks is CIVILITY, and it starts by example and learning, and as long as citizens have no respect for one another and/or the law--then we are headed for a very big upset, which is already manifesting itself in a very large way... We have a corrupt government on Oahu and thus the citizens are corrupted by examples that have destroyed our local society... Shame on all who do not participate in setting a proper human example!!
I think that you have hit the nail right on the head!
loco moco

Richmond, VA

#48 Nov 4, 2009
Last time I renewed my license, the tester had me drive mauka on Nu'uanu and make a left turn on School. There was lots of traffic coming down Nu'uanu so I had to wait, then the "don't walk" signal started blinking. This lady walked towards the curb, made eye contact with me and stayed on the curb. Oncoming traffic cleared so I started into my turn. The lady looked at me again and stepped right out towards me against the "don't walk" light even though I was already turning. You guessed it the tester flunked me. Humbug!
DADDY LAU

AOL

#49 Nov 4, 2009
Very sad!!!!!!!!
Just Saying

United States

#50 Nov 4, 2009
Tit 4Tat wrote:
It comes down more to the fact that Hawaii drivers are the most self-absorbed inconsiderate pieces of trash on the planet. In this case it's the asians not the mainlanders.
What about the Katonks?
DADDY LAU

AOL

#51 Nov 4, 2009
Slowdown drivers, there's alot of elderly pedestrians crossing in that general vicinity/stretch of road from McCully to University!!!!!!!!!
mike 96816

United States

#52 Nov 4, 2009
Honolulu=PSYCHO DRIVERS
HPD=PSYCHO DRIVERS
noend

Ewa Beach, HI

#53 Nov 4, 2009
hawaii has to many people AND to many cars on the road...and many of them lacks the proper paperwork to be on our streets legally...oh, by the way when was the last time you saw a sidewalk..i bet you never did because they are covered with these D..N cars..when will they start towing these cars away the law says you cannot park on our sidewalks...the sidewalks was designed for our community people and children to commute safely....as it is now you have to walk on these D..N busy streets to commute.we need to apply the law now before more people get killed...and it will be due to these D..N MORONS parking illegally on our sidewalks....this state is an unsightly mess
tonkatsu lover

Honolulu, HI

#54 Nov 4, 2009
let's just watch out for each other okay? if you are a driver, slow down. and, if you are a pedestrian, don't put your life in the hands of another unless absolutely necessary (meaning: watch out and assume you are invisible).
Von

Aiea, HI

#55 Nov 4, 2009
It seems like no one cares any more.

No one has a brain. People are all numb like zombies.
Why do I think about that old movie called the body snatchers?
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#56 Nov 4, 2009
Yesterday a woman looked me right in the eye, and then stepped in front of me as I was driving. Yes, she was in a crosswalk but as I was also towing a loaded trailer there was no way I was gonna stop before flattening her dumb a**. Problem was, she was with a small child. Lucky for everyone, a man standing behind her grabbed her back before I hit her. People, those little white lines aren't a protective force field. Your life is in YOUR hands and if you think you can stop five tons with your body you can have it read in your eulogy.
Aikea Tu

Honolulu, HI

#57 Nov 4, 2009
Alice wrote:
The police are doing a great job. Our department is among the top in the nation. When they are at Zippy's they are on their official lunch break. I have never seen them wasting time. They are very efficent and are worth every penny!!! The drivers are at fault here. Although the red light means to slow down, people just keep going. Slow down on the red, and yield right of way!
I'd like to know where you live because in Hawaii, RED light MEANS "STOP!" TALL vehicles facing the RED light MUST come to a HALT, not merely slow down. What community do you live in, that allows "yield right of way," on a RED light? Do you have flashing amber lights? Interesting...
Aikea Tu

Honolulu, HI

#58 Nov 4, 2009
correction to my post: Replace "TALL" vehicles with "ALL" vehicles. Mea culpa
Only smart are safe

Honolulu, HI

#59 Nov 5, 2009
Only about 5% of drivers are smart enough to stop at crosswalks, the other 95% are idiots.

And when those do stop, 25% of the guys walking accross are morons. They either try to wave you pass, or are goofing off next the the crosswalk not trying to cross. And some don't even wait they just jump in front of your car like taking a leap of faith.

Stupid people + crosswalk = bad situation.
Only smart are safe

Honolulu, HI

#60 Nov 5, 2009
Stumpy wrote:
Yesterday a woman looked me right in the eye, and then stepped in front of me as I was driving. Yes, she was in a crosswalk but as I was also towing a loaded trailer there was no way I was gonna stop before flattening her dumb ****. Problem was, she was with a small child. Lucky for everyone, a man standing behind her grabbed her back before I hit her. People, those little white lines aren't a protective force field. Your life is in YOUR hands and if you think you can stop five tons with your body you can have it read in your eulogy.
This is a big problem here, big trucks do have a harder time to stop, and this driver admits it. City vehicles and large trucks are always speeding now days and breaking laws by not following crosswalk rules.

This means more of them should be passed tickets because of the danger they pose.

But the police NEVER ticket them. They basically have a free pass from cops, and this guys behavior proves it. He seems to think he has the right of way here.

If you drive a big truck for a living you should be prepared to stop, PERIOD.
kanehi

Aiea, HI

#61 Nov 5, 2009
Kaneohe Mom wrote:
As a driver, I'm frustrated how pedestrians forget to look for traffic before stepping off the curb or walking across a parking lot. Seems they feel they have the right of way so don't bother to be defensive walkers. Sad, since pedestrians will be on the losing end of an
accident everytime!
I try not to walk on streets because there are inattentive drivers everywhere. I would drive a block to avoid walking to decrease being a target for drivers who don't respect pedestrians, even the slow and rude ones.
Pedestrians does have the right of way in a marked crosswalk and believe or not in the parking lot too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Apr '18 Musikologist 21
News Police seek Waipahu bank robber Apr '18 Joe Balls 4
News Man shot dead was trying to turn life around - ... (Aug '09) Mar '18 Joe Balls 165
News Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Mar '18 Fake news 575
News Police shoot suspected car thief who allegedly ... Feb '18 District 1 7
News Expired safety sticker can be grounds for tow -... (Oct '09) Jan '18 Joe Balls 42
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Aug '17 tongangodz 435

Aiea Jobs

Personal Finance

Aiea Mortgages