2 pedestrians struck while in crosswa...

2 pedestrians struck while in crosswalks - Hawaii News

There are 61 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 4, 2009, titled 2 pedestrians struck while in crosswalks - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Two pedestrians were critically injured yesterday when they were struck in crosswalks in separate traffic accidents on Oahu.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

huh

Waimanalo, HI

#21 Nov 4, 2009
Women wrote:
What do you expect when an old lady is driving and an old lady is crossing the street? Both are'nt careful and an accident or death is always the outcome.
The driver in Aiea was in her 30's as was the guy she hit. This lady was in a rush that she ignored the red light.
Big Al

AOL

#22 Nov 4, 2009
No shame!!!!!!!!
Tit 4Tat

Honolulu, HI

#23 Nov 4, 2009
It comes down more to the fact that Hawaii drivers are the most self-absorbed inconsiderate pieces of trash on the planet. In this case it's the asians not the mainlanders.
Tit 4Tat

Honolulu, HI

#24 Nov 4, 2009
Kaneohe Mom wrote:
As a driver, I'm frustrated how pedestrians forget to look for traffic before stepping off the curb or walking across a parking lot. Seems they feel they have the right of way so don't bother to be defensive walkers. Sad, since pedestrians will be on the losing end of an
accident everytime!
I try not to walk on streets because there are inattentive drivers everywhere. I would drive a block to avoid walking to decrease being a target for drivers who don't respect pedestrians, even the slow and rude ones.
So you just mow down the kids that forget, mom?
FCUK YALL

Honolulu, HI

#26 Nov 4, 2009
People don't have eyes for nothing! They can look left and right to be sure its safe to cross. Don't think your stronger than a 2ton vehicle! That's just plain ignorant. It's a 2part plan here, both sides have to pay attention. The pedestrians, and the drivers!
Alice

United States

#27 Nov 4, 2009
Kaneohe Mom wrote:
As a driver, I'm frustrated how pedestrians forget to look for traffic before stepping off the curb or walking across a parking lot. Seems they feel they have the right of way so don't bother to be defensive walkers. Sad, since pedestrians will be on the losing end of an
accident everytime!
I try not to walk on streets because there are inattentive drivers everywhere. I would drive a block to avoid walking to decrease being a target for drivers who don't respect pedestrians, even the slow and rude ones.
Um, hello... They do have the right of way. Maybe people like you who think you have the right of way over the pedestrians are the cause of all these accidents.
pedestrian law

Honolulu, HI

#28 Nov 4, 2009
The pedestrian law is working against the pedestrian. The pedestrian is taking advantage of the law and gets hit. The driver should be courteous to the pedestrians in the crosswalk but the pedestrians should do likewise. When you cross the street, you as a pedestrian must realize that you are in a dangerous situation. Cross with that seriousness and stop fooling around while you cross. Cars usually win in these incidents, so don't try to win the case from your hospital bed. The pedestrian can also give some room to the drivers and be very careful when crossing streets, especially on six lane streets.
alice

United States

#29 Nov 4, 2009
pleases slow down out here!
Gary

Honolulu, HI

#30 Nov 4, 2009
local wrote:
where are the cops to enforce red lit runners?? in town there are few cops driving the streets. the only time u see them is at roadwork sites "bsing", zippys and 7-11...
These cops are busy helping out the football games or issuing tickets for using cell phones. Don't waste their time catching red light speedsters. It won't bring in cash to the City.
alice

United States

#31 Nov 4, 2009
I walk a lot and I agree that drivers are speeding everywhere. I note a lot of men looking more at me in jean shorts than at their driving!
DUH

Honolulu, HI

#32 Nov 4, 2009
Alice wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, hello... They do have the right of way. Maybe people like you who think you have the right of way over the pedestrians are the cause of all these accidents.
Yes they do have the right of way! But tell me, Is it worth your life, trying to prove that point? It's vehicle, a person ain't stronger than a vehicle, unless your superman. Pedestrians and drivers both have to be courteous to each other.
Pedestrian

Wailuku, HI

#33 Nov 4, 2009
"As a driver, I'm frustrated how pedestrians forget to look for traffic before stepping off the curb or walking across a parking lot. Seems they feel they have the right of way"
I am a pedestrian downtown who does follow the rules and I have seen pedestrians who don't, but it is the cars that most often ignore lights. However, for the record PEDESTRIANS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY! If drivers understood that there would be fewer deaths.

Since: Jul 08

PDX/HNL

#34 Nov 4, 2009
It's the weirded phenomenon.

In Hawaii, people are generally nice face to face, but on the road, forget about it. They can see you entering the marked crosswalk and will still swipe you at full speed.

Seriously, what happened? I move to the mainland, come back to visit and people are worse than haoles.

Since: Jul 08

PDX/HNL

#35 Nov 4, 2009
DUH wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they do have the right of way! But tell me, Is it worth your life, trying to prove that point? It's vehicle, a person ain't stronger than a vehicle, unless your superman. Pedestrians and drivers both have to be courteous to each other.
The difference is, if you strike someone in the crosswalk and they die, you get charged with manslaughter, and get sued in civil court for wrongful death. Pedestrians should be courteous, but I rarely saw courteous drivers. I stood at a crosswalk for 2 light changes, and no one bothered to stop.
David Chung

Aiea, HI

#36 Nov 4, 2009
Alice wrote:
... Although the red light means to slow down, people just keep going. Slow down on the red, and yield right of way!
Red light means you stop. There is no yielding on a red -- it's a complete stop. You slow down at a yellow if it's safe to do so. Clear the yellow only when it is impossible for you to stop. Too often do I see people yield on a red when making a right turn, that is, they interpret that the way is clear and fail to stop before making their right turn. You MUST come to a COMPLETE STOP before attempting this turn! Failing to do so is a traffic violation.
Kaneohe Mom wrote:
accident everytime!
As frustrating as this may seem, as far as I'm concerned, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way. According to the driver's manual, which I assume reflects state traffic laws: "[On] green light ... you must yield to all pedestrians and vehicles already in the intersection." I don't care if they're walking on a red, if they're on the road, the onus is on the drivers to be attentive for their safety, especially in parking lots. Keep your headlights on in any indoor parking lots and always be prepared to stop.

In general, common sense seems to be lacking in Hawaii drivers. Too often have I seen drivers blatantly run red lights, failing to comply with yield and stop signs,!!! texting and driving (mind-blowing, IMO)!!!, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, leaving headlights off in low-lighting areas, and the most common is failing to comply with no-turn signs, which I especially hate because these restrictions are placed to keep traffic flowing and by violating them, you're just causing a traffic jam.
alice

United States

#37 Nov 4, 2009
safety is a mutual effort of driver and pedestrian
Common Man

Honolulu, HI

#38 Nov 4, 2009
Drivers turning right at the stop light are so preoccupied looking for other vehicles to clear that they disregard that pedestrians to the right are also crossing. Be careful of this scenario. Both pedestrians and drivers should take this situation extremely serious.
alice

United States

#39 Nov 4, 2009
too many folks are speeding
David Chung

Aiea, HI

#40 Nov 4, 2009
Common Man wrote:
Drivers turning right at the stop light are so preoccupied looking for other vehicles to clear that they disregard that pedestrians to the right are also crossing. Be careful of this scenario. Both pedestrians and drivers should take this situation extremely serious.
And watch for cyclists! Check your blind spot before making this turn because you will not see cyclists approaching from behind you unless you check your blind spot.
James K

Honolulu, HI

#41 Nov 4, 2009
Pedestrian wrote:
PEDESTRIANS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!
Yes we understand that. But still, they have to watch out for drivers. I mean c'mon guys, it's a car people you will get hit. As they say, make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street to make sure they can see you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iroquois Point Music Thread (Aug '16) Feb '17 Musikologist 3
News Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Jan '17 Joe Balls 572
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Jan '17 White Supremacist 433
I lived in Aiea 1968/70 (Oct '15) Nov '16 Reese 2
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Oct '16 Musikologist 11
Ewa Beach Music Thread (May '12) Oct '16 Musikologist 20
choke vote for a hawaiian president (Dec '05) Oct '16 Francine 3

Aiea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aiea Mortgages