2 pedestrians struck while in crosswalks - Hawaii News

Two pedestrians were critically injured yesterday when they were struck in crosswalks in separate traffic accidents on Oahu. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kehau

Worth, IL

#1 Nov 4, 2009
These drivers regardless of age have to really clamp down on their brakes.In the morning on Kapiolani they just drive thru the crosswalk while two other lanes are letting people cross..Honolulu drivers are ignorant and stupid.On Date Street last night a woman in a SUV driving in and out of traffic,ON DATE STREET!!Come idiots think straight..
huh

Aiea, HI

#2 Nov 4, 2009
The guy in Aiea got hit because the lady was running a red light.

Worst cars were driving around him as he lay on the ground. Finally 2 military guys stopped and blocked traffic to keep the guy from getting runned over again.

Hawaii drivers are idiots. I have to use crosswalks everyday to get to work. I see red light runners every time. I personally think it safer to jaywalk because when you use the cross walk you're trusting these idiots will stop.
local

Ashburn, VA

#3 Nov 4, 2009
where are the cops to enforce red lit runners?? in town there are few cops driving the streets. the only time u see them is at roadwork sites "bsing", zippys and 7-11...
RED RUNNER

Lahaina, HI

#4 Nov 4, 2009
Yes it is very SAD that the COPS don't go after people who run red lights and who speed....... I have noticed on a few occasions where people will run red lights by speeding and a COP will be watching but do nothing but "SHAKE HIS HEAD" SOME COPS ARE JUST PLAIN LAZY..........
small okole

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Nov 4, 2009
Red light cameras?
Oh, now we might also get tickets too- so NO
Alice

United States

#6 Nov 4, 2009
The police are doing a great job. Our department is among the top in the nation. When they are at Zippy's they are on their official lunch break. I have never seen them wasting time. They are very efficent and are worth every penny!!! The drivers are at fault here. Although the red light means to slow down, people just keep going. Slow down on the red, and yield right of way!
Women

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 4, 2009
What do you expect when an old lady is driving and an old lady is crossing the street? Both are'nt careful and an accident or death is always the outcome.
Pedestrians

Aiea, HI

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Everyday I see pedestrians walk against the "Don't Walk", and step out infront a vehicle without looking. Also more drivers are breaking the law and talking on the cell while driving and are lost to the world. Cell phone drivers should be arrested and charged with a felony. Its's just as dangerous as waving a loaded gun around. Come on Legislators, get some balls and make some laws to get rid of law breakers.
Pedestrians

Aiea, HI

#9 Nov 4, 2009
RED RUNNER wrote:
Yes it is very SAD that the COPS don't go after people who run red lights and who speed....... I have noticed on a few occasions where people will run red lights by speeding and a COP will be watching but do nothing but "SHAKE HIS HEAD" SOME COPS ARE JUST PLAIN LAZY..........
Red Runner is correct, I've seen lots of cops watch red light runners and stop sign runners and do nothing. The are only dreaming of what they will have for lunch. 99% lazy cops in HPD. Now we will have a lazy good for nothing Chief Putzulu.
Furlough

Aiea, HI

#10 Nov 4, 2009
They should furlough the cops 10 days a month, they are lazy and do nothing for the high pay. Furlough half of the cops and save all the tax money and crime probably will go down by 50%. Cops of 50 years ago were idiots and now the cops are much worst then the old days. But keep the very few that are dedicated and hard working. Give them bonuses and fire 70% of HPD.
Puppy

Aiea, HI

#11 Nov 4, 2009
I'm amazed that hundreds of pedestrians aren't run over daily. They cross on "Don't Walk" and don't look to see if cars are coming. But cops don't like to ticket old stupid ladies so they eventually get run overed and die.
You cannot tell stupid pedestrians what to do, let them die.
Careful

Diamond Bar, CA

#12 Nov 4, 2009
Yes, more drivers are inattentive to pedestrians and red lights. Bring in the cameras. Those who obey the laws have no complaints, it's only the law-breakers that don't want cameras.
Pritchett

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 4, 2009
Hawaii is #1 in the nation for highest percentage of pedestrian deaths per fatal accident. In other words, if there's a fatal accident in Hawaii involving a motor vehicle, chances it's a pedestrian are the highest in the country. It's a mind-set that's hard to change and spotty law enforcement doesn't help. Even cops run over pedestrians in the crosswalk. See:
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/splat.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/teds.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/ped2.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/cars.htm
Kaneohe Mom

United States

#14 Nov 4, 2009
As a driver, I'm frustrated how pedestrians forget to look for traffic before stepping off the curb or walking across a parking lot. Seems they feel they have the right of way so don't bother to be defensive walkers. Sad, since pedestrians will be on the losing end of an
accident everytime!
I try not to walk on streets because there are inattentive drivers everywhere. I would drive a block to avoid walking to decrease being a target for drivers who don't respect pedestrians, even the slow and rude ones.

Bob_Mililani

Honolulu, HI

#15 Nov 4, 2009
I'm not making excuses for some of the stupid vehicle operators driving the roads, and there are some really stupid ones, but there a lot of equally stupid pedestrians, as well. Those who don't look left or right while crossing the street, the ones texting or talking on cell phones, the ones that turtle walk, those who are stuffing their mouths with food, those who walk in a group more interested in the conversation than what is going on around them, the indecisive ones who will decide at an unsafe time to step out in front of a vehicle, etc., etc., etc. We've all seen them. Pedestrians need to be vigilant while crossing the street and remember the vehicle will always come out the winner, no doubt about it.
local

Ashburn, VA

#16 Nov 4, 2009
cops shud start ticketing the crazy moped divers. speeding cutting in out of traffic etc. do they need a drivers lic. to drive a moped??
huh

Waimanalo, HI

#17 Nov 4, 2009
Pritchett wrote:
Hawaii is #1 in the nation for highest percentage of pedestrian deaths per fatal accident. In other words, if there's a fatal accident in Hawaii involving a motor vehicle, chances it's a pedestrian are the highest in the country. It's a mind-set that's hard to change and spotty law enforcement doesn't help. Even cops run over pedestrians in the crosswalk. See:
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/splat.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/teds.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/ped2.htm
http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/cars.htm
You forgot to Hawaii is in the top 3 in the nation for hitting bicyclist. Hawaii averages 1 hit bicyclist per day.
Manapua Belly

AOL

#18 Nov 4, 2009
It doesn't make a difference if you're in the crosswalk or not. Sometimes you are safer crossing out of the crosswalk because you're more aware of the oncoming cars.
mike 96816

San Francisco, CA

#19 Nov 4, 2009
The worst drivers that I have ever had the pleasure of sharing the road with are in Honolulu and the police lead the way.
been there

Milwaukee, WI

#20 Nov 4, 2009
Make every driver take a yearly driving test. This should include bus drivers. Trust no one at any intersection to be aware of pedestrians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skype masturbation Dec 22 Rex13 1
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Dec 21 Musikologist 15
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Dec 9 Joe Balls 565
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov '14 Guru 60
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov '14 Micro_Stompa 1
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Nov '14 RyancoBryan 23
Aiea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Aiea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Aiea

Personal Finance