Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

A dangerous multiple felon on a work line at Ala Moana Beach Park ? Let me guess: No restraints of any kind were in use and there were too few guards assigned to the work detail. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Haleiwa Dad

Wahiawa, HI

#23 Dec 21, 2009
correction, I just DO BELIEVE that ... government will have us by the short and curlies with this method. Never underestimate the cunning of the political class, and keep them in check with other politicals. Remember, with a big government, there is nowhere to run. With a big business, go to the competition or do without their product. Have you ever had good and timely and comprehensive and dignified response from a government bureaucracy?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#24 Dec 21, 2009
Haleiwa Dad wrote:
correction, I just DO BELIEVE that ... government will have us by the short and curlies with this method. Never underestimate the cunning of the political class, and keep them in check with other politicals. Remember, with a big government, there is nowhere to run. With a big business, go to the competition or do without their product. Have you ever had good and timely and comprehensive and dignified response from a government bureaucracy?
I can't even get a "...good and timely and comprehensive and dignified response from a..." corporation.

As for doing without (ie... a monopolistic situation), that's not practical.
YeahItsMe

Asheville, NC

#25 Dec 22, 2009
Haleiwa Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I searched my records and cannot back that one up with a specific reference, but I recall the author had several sources and all were long term and thorough studies. I am no scholar of the subject, and must work long hours to keep my business going and over 100 people employed.. Just keep this in mind, no one who really needs medical care is not getting it, generally, in this country. And most illness-type deaths come from lifestyle diseases that are palliated, not cured, by the medical establishment. Overall death rates being skewed by violence and auto accidents, it is hard to sort all this out. I just don't believe that making full coverage medical insurance mandatory, then limiting the fines for the young opt-outs, and effectively eliminating cheaper, catastrophic insurance, just sets us up for a perfect storm whose answer will be,'ta-da!' single payer. Then the government has us by the short and curlies. Liberals hate greed. I hate political ambition unchecked by opposing ambitious people. I love our constitution. I don't see that it calls for the Federal government to be archiving my medical records and deciding what I will and won't be treated for when I'm elderly.
Many of your worries are of the might be kind. No, the constitution doesn't call for the Federal Government to archive your records (even though they are archived already by the medical/insurance industry) or decide what care you will get (insurance industry already does this) although it could be argued that health should be one of it's concerns under the "provide for the general welfare" clause. Since you were not able to provide any backup source for your earlier comment, I have to take the the rest of your opinion with a grain of salt. I see a lot of statements about all the "horrors" that the health bill will unleash but seldom any links to the actual text of it. And those "horrors" sound suspiciously like the usual fear mongering. I just think we could have a better system than the current Medicare for some and the rest at the mercy of insurance companies (or no insurance at all) who already know the odds regarding our health and much like Las Vegas have gamed the system to guaranty their profits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HPD officer charged in domestic abuse 15 hr Joe Balls 1
Zara, Uniqlo actively looking at Hawaii retail ... Oct 19 Joe Balls 1
Honolulu police: No criminal case in sergeant a... Oct 15 Bakatari 5
79-year old charged for kidnapping and assault Oct 6 Senile Delinquent 2
A week before her slaying, victim escaped to sa... (Mar '09) Oct 1 Joe Balls 27
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Sep '14 up yours 2
Shooting stays with officer for 20 years [The H... Sep '14 akamai 9
Aiea Dating
Find my Match

Aiea People Search