Proposals raid funds for more school - Hawaii News

Proposals floating in the Senate would restore public school days lost to teacher furloughs by raiding the $180 million Hurricane Relief Fund or a combination of the disaster fund and federal stimulus dollars. Full Story
mario

Kailua Kona, HI

#42 Nov 5, 2009
Poi Dog wrote:
This fund is not for the state to use.It belongs to homeowners who paid into this fund.Keep your grubby hands off it.
I am with you.
Homeowners are forced to pay hurricane insurance imposed by the lender/State if they still owe mortgage on their properties. Imagine paying 1,500 dollars a year for my premium. It is a scam.
I agree that take the money from the rail instead, this train will lead us more to trouble. I don't know why we spend spend billions when we cannot even take care of problems now.
Lork

Aiea, HI

#43 Nov 5, 2009
Just let it go...smart students will still succeed, and the world still needs ditch diggers...seriously. How about some vocational-type activities in the community for those furlough days.

The teachers were willing to sacrifice school days for pay raises, so it can't be that important to them.
business traveller

Kailua Kona, HI

#44 Nov 5, 2009
The DOE budget is $1.8 billion a year. Can't the department find enough money within their budget? Instead of raising taxes or raiding funds, the DOE administrators with their 6 figure salaries (Pat Hamamoto makes $150,000 per year with perks) should take a pay cut, and so should the teaching staff. I've had to cut my employee salaries but they work the same hours just to keep our company alive. No reason to furlough and punish the kids. The HSTA is using the kids as ransom to keep their current salaries.
Nakoa

Honolulu, HI

#45 Nov 5, 2009
This is novel but could the parents pay for their own kids? I'm a senior now with a home and want that hurricane insurance their for my home. I paid big bucks for my kids education and worked extra hard. Could we ask the current parents to do the same? Save your pennies on the good days so you will safe on the bad days.
Nakoa

Honolulu, HI

#46 Nov 5, 2009
People, the rail is a CITY project/tax. The mayor is responsible for that. The Schools are a STATE project/tax. The GOVERNOR IS RESPONSIBLE. Smart people would know this. Stop blogging about taking money from RAIL. Duhhhh. Geeeee. Like beating your youngest kid for something the oldest one did. No make sense.
Will Espero

Honolulu, HI

#47 Nov 5, 2009
local wrote:
have the teachers take a "pay cut". then do away with the furlough days..
To say I do not have a clue is completely wrong and false. Why do some people write such lies and garbage? What I know is if we take no action before the end of the year, Hawaii will rank last in the nation for instructional days; The worst in the nation for classroom learning. This is unacceptable to me and many others. The Legislature did not create this situation. Many parents, educators, and children advocates have asked us to help IF POSSIBLE. The article did not mention some of us are thinking of borrowing $25 million to $50 million with pay back language. This would make the school year whole from Jan to June and include all unions in the schools: HSTA, UPW, HGEA,
Kirby

Honolulu, HI

#48 Nov 5, 2009
local wrote:
have the teachers take a "pay cut". then do away with the furlough days..
You take a pay cut. Oops, a decrease in your food stamps and section 8.
Will Espero

Honolulu, HI

#49 Nov 5, 2009
Will Espero wrote:
<quoted text>
To say I do not have a clue is completely wrong and false. Why do some people write such lies and garbage? What I know is if we take no action before the end of the year, Hawaii will rank last in the nation for instructional days; The worst in the nation for classroom learning. This is unacceptable to me and many others. The Legislature did not create this situation. Many parents, educators, and children advocates have asked us to help IF POSSIBLE. The article did not mention some of us are thinking of borrowing $25 million to $50 million with pay back language. This would make the school year whole from Jan to June and include all unions in the schools: HSTA, UPW, HGEA,
MEANT TO RESPOND TO ISLANDBOI
homegrown

Honolulu, HI

#50 Nov 5, 2009
Will Espero wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clueless. HSTA, HGEA and UPW are all going to agree! Fat chance, after all this bashing of unions, I don't see any reason for the HSTA to go back to the barganing table. The LEG should have addressed this problem last session, don't pretend that you didn't know. Just blame the unions and where, pray tell, will you "borrow" this money from? The state has never borrowed money, or temporarily increased taxes. Promises never kept, why should we trust you now?
bu xie

Honolulu, HI

#51 Nov 5, 2009
Will Espero wrote:
<quoted text>
To say I do not have a clue is completely wrong and false... The Legislature did not create this situation.
A huge lie for all to see.
The Legislature created and prepetuated this mess. You saying that it didn't proves your cluelessness. Your (the Legislature's)continued kowtowing to the unions for their bribes that only benefit your reelections is the cause of most of the economic problems facing the state at this time. It was always tax and spend. All you Democrats needs to be thrown out and replaced by some new blood. For too long you guys have been in power and this disaster is all we have to show for it.
Lefty

Waipahu, HI

#52 Nov 5, 2009
Sure, lets raid all the special funds. We can clean out the treasury to solve the immediate problem, with no concern for addressing the root cause. Then what are we left with? The same old inefficient, overstaffed, costly DOE we started with and an even more bankrupt state. You can't raise taxes high enough to be able to afford the cost of government as it exists today. The cutting needs to start with the DOE and work through the state departments and the legislature.
master baiter

Kalaheo, HI

#53 Nov 5, 2009
off the wall but maybe we can take a page out of the micro's book of knowledge and make education optional
senator espero

Waipahu, HI

#54 Nov 5, 2009
why does senator espero want to take money his waipahu homeowners paid into the hurricane fund just so he can keep his 36% pay raise.
dear reader: don't you ever let senator espero suggest that we're all in this together. he sure isn't
huh

Waimanalo, HI

#55 Nov 5, 2009
Step 1. Give back your 36% raise.
Puna boy

AOL

#56 Nov 5, 2009
Lingle quickly found over a million and half dollars for the Micro's health costs. Where did she get it from?
Politico

Honolulu, HI

#57 Nov 5, 2009
senator espero wrote:
why does senator espero want to take money his waipahu homeowners paid into the hurricane fund just so he can keep his 36% pay raise.
dear reader: don't you ever let senator espero suggest that we're all in this together. he sure isn't
Even if the Legislature, Governor and department heads gave up their pay raises, the problem would not be solved. The downturn in the economy is why we and states around the nations are dealing with these deficits. The Legislature, Governor's staff, and others did take a pay cut by the way.
West Oahuan

Honolulu, HI

#58 Nov 5, 2009
homegrown wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clueless. HSTA, HGEA and UPW are all going to agree! Fat chance, after all this bashing of unions, I don't see any reason for the HSTA to go back to the barganing table. The LEG should have addressed this problem last session, don't pretend that you didn't know. Just blame the unions and where, pray tell, will you "borrow" this money from? The state has never borrowed money, or temporarily increased taxes. Promises never kept, why should we trust you now?
What is your solution? As I undersatnd it, funds would be borrowed from the Hurricane Relief Fund. In essence, a loan to ourself with no interest. It would fix the situtation temporarily, but then, next session, the total statewide budget would have to be addressed with education being one piece of that pie. There is no easy solution, but lessening the school days is wrong.
West Side

Honolulu, HI

#59 Nov 5, 2009
mario wrote:
<quoted text>
I am with you.
Homeowners are forced to pay hurricane insurance imposed by the lender/State if they still owe mortgage on their properties. Imagine paying 1,500 dollars a year for my premium. It is a scam.
I agree that take the money from the rail instead, this train will lead us more to trouble. I don't know why we spend spend billions when we cannot even take care of problems now.
People stopped paying into the Hurricane Relief Fund many years ago. It was a back-up re-insurance plan by the state because the insurance companies left Hawaii after Hurricane Iniki. Residents who paid into the fund were protected then, and had coverage. What's left is a surplus since the insurance companies have returned to Hawaii to insure residents. We have a crisis in education, and BORROWING from the fund will help solve the problem temporarily until the Legislature can deal with the issues next session. We need our kids in school.
No spec session

Honolulu, HI

#60 Nov 5, 2009
If our legislators return their ill-gotten 36% pay raise, then let's talk story!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#61 Nov 5, 2009
West Side wrote:
<quoted text>
People stopped paying into the Hurricane Relief Fund many years ago. It was a back-up re-insurance plan by the state because the insurance companies left Hawaii after Hurricane Iniki. Residents who paid into the fund were protected then, and had coverage. What's left is a surplus since the insurance companies have returned to Hawaii to insure residents. We have a crisis in education, and BORROWING from the fund will help solve the problem temporarily until the Legislature can deal with the issues next session. We need our kids in school.
It's not borrowing. It's simply asking selected taxpayers to pay again just to maintain status quo. You want to use the hurricane funds? Then invest the money and use the interest. I have no issues with that.

Just don't touch the money to pay out for something the BOE and DOE should have a good handle on and are PAID to work on. That's their job. Begging for more money because they don't want to do anything else is not part of the job description. If the kids suffer, look to these groups and the HSTA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A week before her slaying, victim escaped to sa... (Mar '09) 43 min Joe Balls 25
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Sep 22 up yours 2
Shooting stays with officer for 20 years [The H... Sep 13 akamai 9
Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Sep 10 POLIAHU 41
Custodian denies sex assault on schoolboy, atto... Sep 7 District 1 2
Review: Bill Ramsey Inc (Jul '08) Sep 5 So tired of this ... 41
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Aug '14 Tracy Manhan 22
Aiea Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Aiea Jobs

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE