Proposals raid funds for more school ...

Proposals raid funds for more school - Hawaii News

There are 74 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 5, 2009, titled Proposals raid funds for more school - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Proposals floating in the Senate would restore public school days lost to teacher furloughs by raiding the $180 million Hurricane Relief Fund or a combination of the disaster fund and federal stimulus dollars.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Hurricane School

Honolulu, HI

#21 Nov 5, 2009
"Free babysitting!"

"Free babysitting!"

"Free babysitting!"

"Come and get it!"

"It costs nothing, its peanuts, a free gift from the taxpayers."

"Sign here, Mr Iniki and Mrs Iwa, we know your all blown out and won't come back.....right?"
Coach McMacken

Honolulu, HI

#22 Nov 5, 2009
I can give you at least $750,000 I think they overpaid me, I don't know what I'm doing here I'm not a teacher.
Poi Dog

Payson, AZ

#23 Nov 5, 2009
This fund is not for the state to use.It belongs to homeowners who paid into this fund.Keep your grubby hands off it.
Flexo

Kula, HI

#24 Nov 5, 2009
Raiding any fund is only a bandaid fix. And diverting stimulus money is just as short sighted. They aren't addressing the root problem of too much spending, a bloated government work force and a lack of money.
WhatsGoinOn

Honolulu, HI

#25 Nov 5, 2009
Am I getting this right?

The Democrat Legislature, under the leadership of Colleen "The Smooser" Hanabusa gave themselves a 35% increase this year. Then the DOE said we don't have enough money to pay the teachers. Then the Legislature said lets raid the hurricane fund then.

Does that not mean the Democrat Legislature is really stealing from the Hurricane Fund for themselves?
Bill

Honolulu, HI

#26 Nov 5, 2009
Hey Legislative Morons, have you all not learned a lesson from our last hurricane. Hurricane hit, most insurance companies pulled stakes and ran or claimed they did not have the money to cover most owners, then you hit all of us with this required Hurricane Relief Fund which raised my payments triple for a while until you all were fat, dumb and happy that we accumulated enough mula for the next disaster. The fund was put in place for one thing and one thing only. Keep your dirty paws off of our homeowners security blanket.
reasonable

Honolulu, HI

#27 Nov 5, 2009
Poi Dog wrote:
This fund is not for the state to use.It belongs to homeowners who paid into this fund.Keep your grubby hands off it.
You know they already are raiding from the hurricane fund. They diverted the interest earned on the fund to the general fund.
agapito

Pearl City, HI

#28 Nov 5, 2009
1kanaka wrote, "You gotta be crazy. It will cost us the tax payers approximately $24,500 so these good for nothings can hold a special session under the guise of finding additional funding to keep the schools open. Why can't they get it done now."

Uh, the legislators need to go into special session to pass whatever laws are necessary to use the hurricane relief fund. You do know there is a process for passing laws, right?
agapito

Pearl City, HI

#29 Nov 5, 2009
Islandboi wrote:
Sen. Will Espero hasn't got a clue as to what it would take to stop the furlough days. Well, neither do all our involved unions, BOE/DOE/HSTA, all baboozes who refuse to work together for the good of our Keiki. Poor examples as parents, even worse examples in their jobs. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all get along?" Mainland schools solved their furlough days without extra money. But in the Nei? Guess not, better to grandstand, talk shibai, do everything but your job. What a bunch of baboozes we have. Yes, another day in the Nei, just like yesterday, just like tomorrow.
Yeah, California laid off 50,000 teachers. Now that's a solution, eh? Classrooms with fifty kids.
Opposed

Honolulu, HI

#30 Nov 5, 2009
Raid the Rail Fund. Do it now.
FEE not FREE

Ewa Beach, HI

#31 Nov 5, 2009
The legislators gave themselves a pay raise. For this, they should give the money back to the State.
pocho

Honolulu, HI

#32 Nov 5, 2009
agapito wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, California laid off 50,000 teachers. Now that's a solution, eh? Classrooms with fifty kids.
Wow, and to think the State of California with its high State Taxes are just about to file for bankrupcy!
No Mo Money, so you raid the hurricane fund. You Bandits deserve to be voted out of office
kilu

Honolulu, HI

#33 Nov 5, 2009
Over 50 years of Democrats controlling everything and then they want to blame the Republicans. Raid the Hurricane Fund? The correct word is "rob" which they are famous for doing like in everything else. Want change? Vote them all out, we can't do worse than what we have now. Just maybe things may work out in our favor. Wait till the people who have to pay taxes on their gambling winnings see if they really won and how quickly their smiling faces will turn to frowns. Thank the Dems!
satch7

Aiea, HI

#35 Nov 5, 2009
Stupid beaucratic DEMOCRATS!! Calling a special session which means they get paid for what...raid the HURRICANE FUND!!! How stupid!!! Give back your #$@%^ damm 36% pay raise first you bunch of stupid idiot democrats.....all you people that voted for these idiots...calling a special sessions so these democrats can get paid and raid the hurricane fund...how stupid.....stupid.....!!!!! YOU BET I'M MAD AND I WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANY IDIOT IN MY DISTRICT THAT APPROVES OF THIS SESSION AND OR, RAID THE HURRICANE FUND COMPOUNDED BY THEIR 36% pay raise......
welfarestate

Honolulu, HI

#36 Nov 5, 2009
Great idea - the state / city is flat broke - not a dime - heavy debt -
and you want to raid the pennies for an emergency like a HURRICANE..
look you people voted the same politicians year over year. from the
dead beat u.s, senate Inouye akaka and the commie abercrombie.
more good news will be coming soon and you are not going to like it.
your kids are animals and will never hit the learning curve of an average
child.- as for your adults - well - no sugar cane no pineapple you produce
nothing - you never did produce anything but hate. well back at you f/f-
there is still some more pain to go before total collapse the good old
blue lips can pass out the colored drinks and dog food.
hey what ever happened to the old saying ' lucky you live Hawaii'?
if no one told you today let me say G.F.Y.S

12.1 Trillion

With bonds as your guide, you would never guess that the U.S. Treasury plans to borrow a net $276 billion for the October-December period and a further $478 billion in the first quarter of next year, or that it expects to hit its $12.1 trillion debt ceiling some time next month.
oldtimer

Englewood, CO

#37 Nov 5, 2009
I think it is time for the hurricane fund money be given back to the people who built up the fund. The hell with the teachers and unions and all the crooks at the state capitol. What a bunch of losers.
State Employee

Honolulu, HI

#38 Nov 5, 2009
I get extra 50K making OT from running the street sweeper and ripping off the SOH.
oldtimer

Englewood, CO

#39 Nov 5, 2009
Maybe the hurricane fund was raided a long time ago. Where is the money? How much intrest was paid on it and would the homeowner get a share of that intrest.
Doggie

Honolulu, HI

#40 Nov 5, 2009
local wrote:
have the teachers take a "pay cut". then do away with the furlough days..
How is that going to keep schools open when the other unions in the school are still on furlough, dummy!!!!
master baiter

Haleiwa, HI

#41 Nov 5, 2009
FINALLY!! a situation has risen that the elected officials have no clue how to resolve
lack of insight, band aid mentality, blaming each other, these clowns are no better suited to represent us than you or I
not one person has come up with a reasonable plan to cure this crisis we are in now. most of us when faced with a financial crisis first look to ourselves and see what corners we can cut. basic things like consolidating trips to save gas, brown bagging it for lunch, skip this month's perm, not giving yourself a raise
it's so obvious to me that these idiots ALL need to be replaced from top to bottom
ohh and by the way......all the folks i voted for in the last election.....lost....cause i was voting for change......something we ALL need to do

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iroquois Point Music Thread (Aug '16) Feb '17 Musikologist 3
News Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Jan '17 Joe Balls 572
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Jan '17 White Supremacist 433
I lived in Aiea 1968/70 (Oct '15) Nov '16 Reese 2
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Oct '16 Musikologist 11
Ewa Beach Music Thread (May '12) Oct '16 Musikologist 20
choke vote for a hawaiian president (Dec '05) Oct '16 Francine 3

Aiea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aiea Mortgages