Proposals raid funds for more school - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Proposals floating in the Senate would restore public school days lost to teacher furloughs by raiding the $180 million Hurricane Relief Fund or a combination of the disaster fund and federal stimulus dollars.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Lingle lets raise Hawaii's State Tax 10-15% to satisfy these people. Bet you most of them work for the State or are collecting unemployment so they don't care if you raise our taxes. I'll only benefit them and tax the working tax payers.
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

whoops, I meant It'll only benifit the State workers and unemployed and only tax the working tax payers.

deya u go
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

hope they didn't kype the hurricane fund
1kanaka

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

You gotta be crazy. It will cost us the tax payers approximately $24,500 so these good for nothings can hold a special session under the guise of finding additional funding to keep the schools open. Why can't they get it done now. There shouldn't be anything more important than the education of our children on their agenda right now. They can't get the funding done on their regular time so they want us to pay them overtime to do what they're supposed to do in the first place. No wonder our state is in a financial cissis.
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Well, the majority in Hawaii voted for the Old Boy Network which is the Democrats who control the State more or less with a Lame Duck Rep. Gov.

what do you expect?
willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

And what fund gets raidid NEXT year..the year after ad nauesum?????

Newsflash, the economy is NOT getting better and will NOT for a long time.

Once they deplete the hurricane fund how about setting up a "Comet hits us" fund then raid IT next year.
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

That's Hawaii's Democrats for you.

Hope eveyone enjoys their reps
pocho

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Good thing the State runs the Hurricane Fund, Mufi would have used the funds to produce a Rail Gala with all the fixings. It'd be interesting to see if Honolulu Hale will have their annual lighting fixtures on display. If there is, I wonder if there's some type of kickback Mufi would get from Hawaiian Electric? Maybe Mufi figured in the holiday lighting when he increased our property taxes
MorePorkulous

Royal Oak, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

by raiding the $180 million Hurricane Relief Fund or a combination of the disaster fund and federal stimulus dollars.
I guess there will never be another hurricane but you can enjoy a ride on the new choo-choo.
Wake up

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Nows your chance to do something Dukey Boy. Mommys out of town and you're in charge of the house - or are you scared that mommy will be mad if you take over the business. I guess its business as usual - and you want to be the next Gov?? SAD SAP!
Raid Rail Now

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Finally, Aiona is speaking up. But, what is he saying? Stall time? "Negotiate?" There is NO ROOM for negotiation.

Immediate restoration of Friday School is a TOP PRIORITY. Whatever it takes. Look what this "negotiation" did?

Cut pay. Turn training days into class room instruction days. Who came up with this "training day" b.s. anyway. Isn't that what college and their teaching certificate was all about?

WHAT ABOUT RAIDING THE RAIL FUND?

Hmmmm.... build train set and enrich Mufi's brother Gus who supervised US tax payers being cheated in Samoa OR education of our future leaders.

Thanks for speaking up, Duke. But, what you are saying is NOT ENOUGH.

YOU DEMOCRATS TOO. Better get your DOE and HSTA to wise up.

Kick a Hawaii Democrat for Freedom.

Somebody please slap that sign on the back of Democrat hack hanneman, please.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Yep, this will start a union war. If one union can raid the funds, why can't others? After all, they're all equal, right?

What a bunch of selfish idiots.
Furlough Fred

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Do not touch the hurricane fund you freaking dummys! If get one hurricane then what!

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Our Legislative branch is truly showing that they work part time. They still ended up with about 31 percent in pay raises and will get more money as "overtime" or per diem for doing something that they should have been done 7 months ago.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

correction on my last- "should have done 7 months ago"
Joel Kazlofski

Kapaa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

There are still a myriad of unneeded programs and excess beuracracy in the State (including the DOE). The Legislature needs to do their job, get rid of the unnecessary programs, fund those critical, like having teachers in classrooms. Do not take the easy route and raid the hurricane fund and other rainy day funds, as one day we will have the rainy day and face another crisis.
Scammers

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Keep your grubby hands off my hurricane funds that were extorted from my wallet when the state failed to properly monitor and regulate home insurer HIG. This caused my premuims to go skyhigh from being forced to pay into the fund against my will, but necessary to keep my home.
The money is for one thing - hurricane recovery, and not the kind that pours from the politicos in the big square building on Beretania St.
Otherwise, give me back my share. I still have the records of how much I paid.(plus interest!)
WhatsGoingOn

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

"We're talking peanuts here," said Marguerite Butler Higa, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group Save Our Schools. "Do they realize that parents are literally losing sleep over this issue? Everyone I talk to thinks it's just horrible and it's a horrible crime against children."

Yes but it's our peanuts!

We went through 2 hurricanes and insurance companies do not cover everthing. If we raid this fund just because these parents want free babysitting then we have a hurricane you can bet you sweet okole they will be the first ones in the handout line looking for more assistance.

The Legislature need to get the DOE straightened around, they get 2 billion from us and it gets squandered on insider and union contracts, of course the legislature made up of Union/Democrats gets their fingers in this cash and are reluctant to do the proper thing as they will be found to be recipients of the 2 billion.

First the legislature needs to give back it's 35% pay raise, secondly straighten out the DOE, but absolutely not raid any funds.
Islandboi

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

Sen. Will Espero hasn't got a clue as to what it would take to stop the furlough days. Well, neither do all our involved unions, BOE/DOE/HSTA, all baboozes who refuse to work together for the good of our Keiki. Poor examples as parents, even worse examples in their jobs. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all get along?" Mainland schools solved their furlough days without extra money. But in the Nei? Guess not, better to grandstand, talk shibai, do everything but your job. What a bunch of baboozes we have. Yes, another day in the Nei, just like yesterday, just like tomorrow.
local

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

have the teachers take a "pay cut". then do away with the furlough days..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aiea Discussions

Search the Aiea Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Apr 4 Musikologist 7
Csea Apr 4 Ohana 1
Review: Cash 4 Cars Apr 3 Me again 1
Man, 18, in custody for fatal beating in Ewa Beach Mar 31 Deserved the beating 1
Ewa Beach Music Thread (May '12) Mar 30 Musikologist 15
New display at Ala Moana show's rail's progress Mar 25 Richard 4
Brandon Harris update (Jun '13) Mar 24 Ind 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Aiea Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Aiea People Search