Letters to the editor - Hawaii Editorials

Writer-director Marc Forby said including the term "barbarian" in his movie's title was meant to be ironic . Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
coachrandy

Honolulu, HI

#21 Oct 22, 2009
nancy gordon,

as a teacher, we've been instructed not to show up for school on furlough days. activities that were planned on those days can continue, but we cannot be present on campus until after 3pm. how are we suppose to do what you are proposing? have other people laid off from their jobs told their bosses,"boss, that's okay. no need pay me. i'll still come in tomorrow." teachers have good hearts and most are in the profession for the right reasons. but it is a job and pay is part of the equation.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

#22 Oct 22, 2009
Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
Building businesses is a start to recovery after suffering one of the greatest financial collapses in American history. AND occurring on a so called fiscally conservative administrations watch!
But if y'all are in favor of invading a soveriegn country where American lives are lost without cause, then your shovel ready stance can be used to dig the graves for the sacrafices made based on a bucket of lies!
I agree, but some people say that when Iraq invaded an American ally (Kuwait) in 1990, they lost their right to sovereignty. Personally I, Big Joe, don't really care if they raped and killed Kuwaiti citizens, none of my business. As to shovel ready jobs, some (ignorant) people don't see that if the government pays someone to dig a hole and fill it back up, well that's a good job. These stupid conservatives think that PRODUCTIVITY matters, and jobs need to be created by private companies that can produce and sustain themselves. Let us remember that even Slaves had jobs, and any kind of job is a good job. Gentlemen, start digging them holes!
alice

Hanalei, HI

#23 Oct 22, 2009
We need a much bigger stimulus.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

#24 Oct 22, 2009
alice wrote:
We need a much bigger stimulus.
Let's not go there alice.
GIVE ME A BREAK

Kaneohe, HI

#25 Oct 22, 2009
AARON YAMASAKI----

WHERE WILL YOU AND YOUR KIDS AND FAMILY BE "WHEN ITS TIME TO PAY IT (THE CONSTRUCTION MONEY) BACK------

YOU GUYS ALL WANT TO GAMBLE THAT THE TRAIN WILL PAY FOR ITSELF-----TELL YOUR KIDS AND FAMILY GET READY TO PAY FOR IT IN THE FUTURE, BECAUSE OF "POLITICAL ISSUES AND PAYOFFS"........

Still from Kaneohe...
waimea jim

United States

#26 Oct 22, 2009
GIVE ME A BREAK wrote:
AARON YAMASAKI----
WHERE WILL YOU AND YOUR KIDS AND FAMILY BE "WHEN ITS TIME TO PAY IT (THE CONSTRUCTION MONEY) BACK------
YOU GUYS ALL WANT TO GAMBLE THAT THE TRAIN WILL PAY FOR ITSELF-----TELL YOUR KIDS AND FAMILY GET READY TO PAY FOR IT IN THE FUTURE, BECAUSE OF "POLITICAL ISSUES AND PAYOFFS"........
Still from Kaneohe...
Fuggedaboudit I'm gonna leave now.
Mr T

Honolulu, HI

#27 Oct 22, 2009
For the past 32 years, I have tried, I think successfully, to make the time in my class worthwhile for my students, spent thousands of dollars of my own money to buy school supplies when budgets were tight, shuttled students around in my own car to various after school activities, bought them treats for special occasions, and stayed countless hours after the regular school day so that my kids could catch up. I did this then and do this now with no complaints and no expectation to be compensated. My reward is the thanks and respect I get from present and former students, grateful parents, and colleagues. But I and other teachers like me respectfully refuse to be TOLD by any of you that we have to do more.
lukela

Kailua Kona, HI

#28 Oct 22, 2009
Mr T wrote:
For the past 32 years, I have tried, I think successfully, to make the time in my class worthwhile for my students, spent thousands of dollars of my own money to buy school supplies when budgets were tight, shuttled students around in my own car to various after school activities, bought them treats for special occasions, and stayed countless hours after the regular school day so that my kids could catch up. I did this then and do this now with no complaints and no expectation to be compensated. My reward is the thanks and respect I get from present and former students, grateful parents, and colleagues. But I and other teachers like me respectfully refuse to be TOLD by any of you that we have to do more.
Just join the ranks of thousands of other past and present public employees who put in a career trying to perform their jobs well and be a responsible member of the community. Just don't expect any common civility from the general public (the same folks who charge $80 an hour to unclog your toilet or tune up your car) when times get a little tight, because you will be the perfect whipping boy.
(I might ask, though, why are you folks so afraid of random drug testing?)
SilentDoGood

Aiea, HI

#29 Oct 23, 2009
Didn't anyone consider asking the taxpayer's opinion about having furlow Fridays or increasing the G.E.Tax. California is 9%, so we aren't that bad.
robyne

Temperance, MI

#30 Oct 23, 2009
REALLY...work for free as a show of good faith? I disagree. That will lead to the expectation of "something for nothing". Your leaders don't see the importance of education your future population..in a few years the rest of the nation will have to hand you so much more money in aid because you will basically be...ignorant...yes that is exactly the word. You take exception to words like "savage", "barbarian", yet by your own actions you seek to have an entire generation sentences to those very characteristics. You yourselves need to stand up and protest. Hold a special election, get rid of the leaders who are condemning you. There are procedures. This isn't something done to you...it's being done by you as a state because you have failed to bring your leaders in check...they work for you! Hawaii...take care of your children now lest you find yourself back in the position you were in years ago!
Greg

AOL

#31 Oct 23, 2009
I don't think this is fair to the teachers until all the professors at the college and the union leaders all share in the pain. Where are their furloughs and/or paycuts? Maybe it's time for the teachers to consider doing away with the unions, doesn't seem like they are working for your benefit. You pay your dues and they still work. Where is the fair and balanced part of this deal?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#32 Oct 23, 2009
SilentDoGood wrote:
Didn't anyone consider asking the taxpayer's opinion about having furlow Fridays or increasing the G.E.Tax. California is 9%, so we aren't that bad.
That's not even a question worth asking. The answer is no.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

#33 Oct 23, 2009
SilentDoGood wrote:
California has a sales tax, Hawaii has a excise tax. Lucky for us tax and spend types you can't tell the difference. Love, Hope, Change, xxx Big Joe.
gimmeabreak

Kualapuu, HI

#34 Oct 24, 2009
Sounds like a pedophiles dream job.
Mr T wrote:
Monicaonmaui

Honolulu, HI

#35 Nov 17, 2009
What kind of message are we sending to our kids?
Furlow Friday's are sending the message to our youth that education is expendable. Not really important.
We need to make cutbacks....lets eliminate a school day!
Basically, we are being hypocrites! We try to impress how important education is, yet we are willing to rob them of the education they are entitled to. Taking away a school day is not sending the right message to our children.
What were you thinking Ms. Lingle!!!???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aiea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HART acquired 34 properties for $70M along Hono... Mar 24 JBs Legal Age Dau... 14
How to make a satisfactory video by video merger? Mar 22 allpepole 1
News HPD chief assessed as above average in review Feb 28 American_Infidel 4
News Hawaii construction unions support bill to exte... Feb '15 Francine 2
News Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials (Jan '10) Feb '15 TheWayItReallyIs 37
News Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Feb '15 Defenestrator 14
News Drivers urged to be safe Jan '15 kyrahwaiwaiole 1
Aiea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Aiea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]