Letters to the editor - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Writer-director Marc Forby said including the term "barbarian" in his movie's title was meant to be ironic .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

"Train will get us back to work"
Well that is ONE segment of the population who will happy...the taxpayers who have fund this white elephant on the other hand well....

How does it feel knowing your paycheck is coming from a "make work" project put together by a politician making a payback to his cronies? You ok with that? Basically it ammounts to no more than welfare..and darn expensive welfare at that.

OH BTW, once they accept federal dollars the bids go out to ALL USA companies...there is absolutly no saying YOU will be working on it.
mischal

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a union `protest` ad on tv when people were brought in from the mainland to work on the stadium. Some guy from Kentucky was saying how happy he was to be here! Wouldn`t that be a kick in the pants?! Mufi will work it out, with whatever it takes. He needs the unions too much.
Hawaiian Republican

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Re: "Title not ironic, but insulting," Leon Siu, Aiea.

Leon, you really ought to be more thick-skinned. You should be more concerned about the content and historical accuracy of the film, and how it portrays Hawaiians. Those are of far more greater importance than the title.
whine

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Leon u r a lolo
Flexo

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Commenting on the letter from Aaron Yamasaki.
I wonder if it ever occurred to you and your fellow construction workers that there are far too many of you for this small state. Some of you should retrain into other fields so you can "earn a paycheck and feed your families". Now we are embarking on a "make work" projet that enables the Mayor to court the construction industry vote. The bad part about it is that it will strap everyone else with paying more taxes, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Wait until the time this thing starts running and requires a $100 million per year (2007 dollars) subsidy to operate. They'll be jacking your property taxes along with everyone elses. Will we have to create another make work project so the construction industry can earn a paycheck, feed their families and pay their property taxes.
Flexo

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

mischal wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember seeing a union `protest` ad on tv when people were brought in from the mainland to work on the stadium. Some guy from Kentucky was saying how happy he was to be here! Wouldn`t that be a kick in the pants?! Mufi will work it out, with whatever it takes. He needs the unions too much.
I recently received an email from Donovan Dela Cruz advocating that local (city and state) projects be given to local firms only. In that email he said far too many jobs are going to mainland contractors who are under bidding local companies. The last time I checked, mainland firms have 10% added to their bid because they aren't local. If mainland firms are winning contracts even though they have 10% tacked on then someone needs to sharpen their pencil. The other thing is that state law mandates all contractors pay the prevailing wage for state jobs so that should level the playing field with respect to wages. I think we will probably see some kind of bill be offered in the legislature this year that attempts to keep mainland contractors out. That will undoubtedly cause us to pay more for state and county construction work than we should.
Mongo

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

It's called "irony," Leon....relax.
Koa

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Did anyone notice that there is not a single solar panel on the roof of the train station. Why not? We have plenty of sun here to heat water for the rest rooms and, provide some electricity for lighting.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Koa wrote:
Did anyone notice that there is not a single solar panel on the roof of the train station. Why not? We have plenty of sun here to heat water for the rest rooms and, provide some electricity for lighting.
another mufi fiasco
huh

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Nancy Gordon is out of control.

Where would the teachers teach? The schools will have no support staff, no administrators, no security, and no health aids. Notwithstanding the fact that you are asking underpaid teachers to teach for free, your suggestion would put all of our children in jeopardy.

What if a fire broke out? Who would guide our children to safety? The skeleton crew of teachers ... unlikely (but it would offer you another opportunity to rag on them). Who would treat and comfort our children when the scrape their knee's from falling in the playground or comfort them after they have been stung by a bee (pray they are not allergic). Who will protect our children from the homeless and other predators that frequent our schools? Who will watch over a class if a teacher gets stuck in traffic or worse is involved in an auto accident or experiences a family emergency?

Just like the saying goes, "it takes a village to raise a child" it also takes and entire school to teach a child and the teacher is but one of the ingridients needed.

Get real Nancy Gordon!
norail

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Just for the record-how long are you guys planning on "stretching" this job?

"As a construction worker who is on the bench, I was very happy to read that that the feds have given the stamp of approval to the Honolulu rail system. The sooner construction begins, the sooner I and thousands of other construction workers can get back on the job, earning paychecks and feeding our families."
Pat

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

What a selfish thought, Mr. Yamasaki! That seems to be the thoughts of so many, immediate gratification, without consideration of long term effects to the Island.The rail is ugly!
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Pat wrote:
What a selfish thought, Mr. Yamasaki! That seems to be the thoughts of so many, immediate gratification, without consideration of long term effects to the Island.The rail is ugly!
Hey Pat, Building businesses that lose money is the Obama Administration way.

We're shovel ready!
Pau

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Joe The Vice President wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Pat, Building businesses that lose money is the Obama Administration way.
We're shovel ready!
Building businesses is a start to recovery after suffering one of the greatest financial collapses in American history. AND occurring on a so called fiscally conservative administrations watch!

But if y'all are in favor of invading a soveriegn country where American lives are lost without cause, then your shovel ready stance can be used to dig the graves for the sacrafices made based on a bucket of lies!
yep

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Flexo wrote:
<quoted text>
I recently received an email from Donovan Dela Cruz advocating that local (city and state) projects be given to local firms only. In that email he said far too many jobs are going to mainland contractors who are under bidding local companies. The last time I checked, mainland firms have 10% added to their bid because they aren't local. If mainland firms are winning contracts even though they have 10% tacked on then someone needs to sharpen their pencil. The other thing is that state law mandates all contractors pay the prevailing wage for state jobs so that should level the playing field with respect to wages. I think we will probably see some kind of bill be offered in the legislature this year that attempts to keep mainland contractors out. That will undoubtedly cause us to pay more for state and county construction work than we should.
Good post!
If things go the way they normally do around here, the bill the Legislature passes to keep out of staters out will be so poorly written that the unconstitutionality of it will be glaringly apparent.
Which will end up costing us taxpayers when the State is taken to court.
Between the time wasted with this bill and the reopening and rehashing of 444, nothing else will get done next session.
yep

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Koa wrote:
Damn you and your great common sense ideas!
Kailuaresident

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

norail wrote:
Just for the record-how long are you guys planning on "stretching" this job?
"As a construction worker who is on the bench, I was very happy to read that that the feds have given the stamp of approval to the Honolulu rail system. The sooner construction begins, the sooner I and thousands of other construction workers can get back on the job, earning paychecks and feeding our families."
The 1st segment will take 8 years. If the willpower is there to extend it, then your looking at mabe 12 years for full build out. thats quite a long time!
Nalo Boy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Nancy Gordon thinks teachers should "stop whining" and "do the right thing" by "offering their time for free" and thus set a good example for the students.

I think teachers already set a good example for students EVERY SINGLE DAY in the classroom.

I think Nancy Gordon should give up one day a week at her job (if she works at all) and volunteer at her nearest school. Now THAT would set a good example.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Nancy is trying..at least that. Many gave up long ago.
Marboro

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Re norail comment. My sympathy, but look at the BIG, BIG picture: The consequence of the tax breaks for the top 2% over several years is quite predictable. The redistribution of "wealth" has to come at the expense of the other 98%. We are that 98% and we and our children will be paying. Did the 2% re-invest in the U.S.? Check out the Swiss banks, Bermuda, China, and India. At least the present administration is trying to look into UBS bank accounts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aiea Discussions

Search the Aiea Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Memorial Day lei donation sites announced May '14 American_Infidel 14
Rail project closes lanes at busy Pearl City in... Apr '14 Guru 7
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Apr '14 Piss Poor 20
Hawaii Construction Boom: New Developments Comi... Apr '14 Puke 4 3
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 7
Csea Apr '14 Ohana 1
Review: Cash 4 Cars Apr '14 Me again 1
•••
•••