Guardsman aid in Operation Big Ice

Guardsman aid in Operation Big Ice

There are 21 comments on the WWLP Massachusetts story from Dec 15, 2008, titled Guardsman aid in Operation Big Ice. In it, WWLP Massachusetts reports that:

Hundreds of members of the Massachusetts National Guard remain on state active duty in support of what's being dubbed Operation Big Ice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWLP Massachusetts.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John

Springfield, MA

#1 Dec 15, 2008
It is scary how the military is now being used for in-country tasks since we have more public employees that can do the job. If the National Guard wants to help, do so without your battle dress and humvees. This is not a warzone.

Since: Jul 08

Springfield, MA

#2 Dec 15, 2008
I agree that the military shouldn't be used in country, but the National Guard was designed for just such a case. They aren't going around with m-4's like they were in LA - they are out to help stranded people. The HMMV's are also extremely good at getting places normal vehicles can't get to.
I have a problem when Bush stations active duty troops on US soil for demestic tasks... the Guard needs to brought home to work here in emergencies, not sent overseas to fight in an illegal and immoral war of conquest.
www.ivaw.org
www.bringtheguardhome.org
Dan gay armyan 2005 2007

Springfield, MA

#3 Dec 15, 2008
Dan 2005-2008 Army Vet wrote:
I agree that the military shouldn't be used in country, but the National Guard was designed for just such a case. They aren't going around with m-4's like they were in LA - they are out to help stranded people. The HMMV's are also extremely good at getting places normal vehicles can't get to.
I have a problem when Bush stations active duty troops on US soil for demestic tasks... the Guard needs to brought home to work here in emergencies, not sent overseas to fight in an illegal and immoral war of conquest.
www.ivaw.org
www.bringtheguardhome.org
I just want to be fair, because wars not all bad. I was able to smuggle enough money home to be rich, and my houseboy Twon gets a good pension from the army. Unfotuately i got "asked" and I "told" and I got a dishonorable discharge for a discharge I made in front of the commanders young son. But hey I was drunk...
US Army

Feeding Hills, MA

#4 Dec 15, 2008
As a US Army Vet, I'd much rather be here helping out my fellow countrymen then be in Iraq fighting an illegal war any day.
Dan

Rutland, MA

#7 Dec 15, 2008
the US should be ashamed that it takes a week to restore power and heat just because of some rain and wind. I personally don't care if the army or national guard help.. as long as someone helps I couldn't care less. If they solve the problem, good.

But let us remind ourselves that a city in Bosnia, called Sarajevo, was the longest held city under siege and after bombs, explosions, the electricity was still available to the residents. It took a military of aggressors to physically enter the power plant and shut down electricity. Here, in the U.S., we still don't have power going underneath the ground. Welcome 3rd World USA.
holly

Westfield, MA

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Supposedly more people are being sent to go help with this, if 1500 was it troops or guardsmen can't help this situation alone, it's best to put everyone in shelters until power is restored and hope for the best.

or just set all of mass on fire, im pretty sure all the ice will melt.
militarysuporter

Northampton, MA

#10 Dec 15, 2008
holly wrote:
Supposedly more people are being sent to go help with this, if 1500 was it troops or guardsmen can't help this situation alone, it's best to put everyone in shelters until power is restored and hope for the best.

I just want to get everybody straight, the guards are not here to restore power, they are just here as part of the clean-op effort. If all of you remember, we sent all of our linemen south over the past couple of years yo help with other natural disasters, so if the response is not up to par, get off of your buts, go to school and become a lineman. There are only about 10 lineman for each area and it takes time to re-run lines and re set poles so be patient, power will be restored

Since: Dec 08

USA

#11 Dec 16, 2008
John wrote:
It is scary how the military is now being used for in-country tasks since we have more public employees that can do the job. If the National Guard wants to help, do so without your battle dress and humvees. This is not a warzone.
Mamma always said Stupid is as STUPID does...
THIS GUY is just plain old stupid,

leave him to him warzone yard with trees in his house and just tell him....OH the GUARD went home like you said.....so GET THE TREE off your house by YOURSELF

sharp as a marble
GRANDMA CAROLANN

Westfield, MA

#15 Dec 16, 2008
Thank you one and all !
John

Springfield, MA

#17 Dec 16, 2008
holly wrote:
No, it's best to leave people alone unless they ask for help, you hack. You want FEMA to do the job they did during Katrina? Then you'd really have a crisis here in Mass.
Cindy

Rocky Hill, CT

#18 Dec 16, 2008
Linemen have come from different states to assist in the restoration effort. These linemen are risking their lives to ensure you get your power back on. They work around the clock. This is a natural disaster its not a man made one. I thank each and every linemen for the hard work that they do and I thank the Customer Service Reps at Northeast Utilities for being available 24 hours a day to report power outages and emergencies. Shelters have opened up for those that still don't have power. Call 211 for information.
Blandford Resident

Fall River, MA

#19 Dec 16, 2008
I wish you people would really see the effort these men have put in up in my town. We owe them a huge thanks for not only helping clear out roads and driveways but for also saving the life of a elderly couple very early Sunday morning.

I have never been treated with such respect as these guys have shown. We all owe then a huge thanks for everything they have done in the past few days up here in the hilltowns.

So unless you live up and and can see the devastation that this past storm has caused I don't think you should spout out at the keyboard with your asinine comments. Take a ride up rt 23 or rt 20. Hell take rt 8 in Becket. Have fun dodging trees and lines.

The line crews are from all over the country. We currently have some from Ohio and Michigan. We are all thankful for the help they are giving.
CHRIS

Somersworth, NH

#21 Dec 16, 2008
I've been out of power since last Thursday. No heat, water, phone anything. If the military is willing to help -- Thank God. I don't care how they dress and I'm quite certain my two children cold, hungry kids don't either.

Sounds to me your just ungrateful!
John wrote:
Lisa

Newton, MA

#22 Dec 16, 2008
I work for the National Guard and to John's comment: "John wrote:
It is scary how the military is now being used for in-country tasks since we have more public employees that can do the job. If the National Guard wants to help, do so without your battle dress and humvees. This is not a warzone. "

The National Guard was orginally started for In-State Missions and In-Country Missions, it has only been in the recent years that our Missions have brought us out of country. The National Guard is your homeland defense, and this is our primary mission, so when the guys come knocking on your door to help, I would be greatful, because while they are out there in the snow and ice, they are away from their families. Same as the servicemembers who are serving overseas.
Hilltown Friend

Westfield, MA

#23 Dec 17, 2008
I have chosen not to go driving around the hilltowns so I can let the people work... I have heard it is horrible and I think it is a wonderful that the guard is out there...Knowing people of the Hilltowns, I am sure there is a lot of appreciation for their efforts. The Guard should know they can help their neighbors and be proud. Years ago when my dad was in the guard he always did stuff like this... never (as a Guard) did he leave our country.
Hilltown Fiend

Springfield, MA

#24 Dec 17, 2008
Who needs heat or electricity? We got weed man, so were ok.
John is a douchebag

United States

#25 Dec 22, 2008
John wrote:
John, I hope when your home is without power, that a National Guard member comes in with warpaint, M4 and all...then helps clear your road so that a line crew can get you going again. Ungrateful, simply ungrateful on your part.

These Soldiers are taken out of their place of employment to help citizens out...why? So they can deal with idiot's like you. What a jerk.
huh

Chester, MA

#26 Dec 22, 2008
John is a douchebag wrote:
<quoted text>
John, I hope when your home is without power, that a National Guard member comes in with warpaint, M4 and all...then helps clear your road so that a line crew can get you going again. Ungrateful, simply ungrateful on your part.
These Soldiers are taken out of their place of employment to help citizens out...why? So they can deal with idiot's like you. What a jerk.
Yeah John, and when you find beer cans all over your yard, your underage daughter is pregnanat and hooked on crack, you'll know they were there.
larz

Holyoke, MA

#27 Dec 22, 2008
Thank God for these guardsman and utlity workers!!!! this is what it is all about, people helping people.........doesn't matter what walk of lifethey come from , what they wear,how they get there, as long as it is warm for them and they get enough to eat and rest, they will do their job come hell or high water...they are AMERICAN'S , proud to serve and they are serving AMERICA , most put their all into the call to duty.....they should be honored for their commitment to help.....most would do it for little or nothing.....so please leave your political bull for the election's, or get off your high horse and pitch in.........happy holiday's !!!!
HYTTI

Chester, MA

#28 Dec 22, 2008
Lisa wrote:
so when the guys come knocking on your door to help, I would
Get the the commie bastards! They are coming to rob, rape, and pillage, then the government will deny it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agawam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ann cinelli springfield, ma arrested for DUI 11 hr falcetti14 1
News 3 say Pittsfield mayor misled council (Aug '12) May 19 cops are criminals 79
News Lewis Lent evidence search at Greylock Glen end... May 18 cops are psychopaths 13
News No trace of third Lewis Lent victim in Greenwat... (Jul '13) May 16 URFamiliar 31
News Coolidge woman arrested as chase ends in Florence May 15 full stop 1
News 2 OK after water rescue from creek in Cape Gira... May 11 El Conquistador 1
News Survey: DCF social workers overwhelmed by casel... May 10 Blogger 62
More from around the web

Agawam People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]