Forest Lake's pending roundabout has its critics

There are 39 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 1, 2010, titled Forest Lake's pending roundabout has its critics. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Opponents of the roundabout being built where Broadway Avenue meets Lake Street in Forest Lake say it's an expensive and ill-fitting solution to a very small problem.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FL Guy

Scottsdale, AZ

#1 Sep 2, 2010
The roundabout is as stupid as the council members who voted for it.
citylights

Atwater, MN

#2 Sep 2, 2010
The dolt heads at MNDOT put two roundabouts on Hwy. 7 from St. Boni out. There were as many, not less accidents at that intersection since that stupid roundabout. What the dolt heads did was put a hill, berm in the middle of the roundabout so you have no clue if a car's coming the other way or not!! It is barely long enough for an 18-wheeler. Bring back the death penalty.
Forest Lk Business Owner

Elk River, MN

#3 Sep 2, 2010
While informed debate on any issue is important, it is now time for the community to accept this project and move forward. I, along with many others, accept the engineer's expertise in arriving at what will be the best solution for the next 20 years. Yes, any construction process is hard on the businesses located there, but there is a strong good-faith effort to mitigate the disruptions. Along with the coming Broadway and I-35 bridge construction, Forest Lake will have beautiful new aethetics and a roadway system which will enhance travel in the community. While the new bridge construction will adversely impact my business in the short term, I look forward to its completion and seeing the finished product. This is a wonderful city, and my hope is the community will recognize the opportunity to be even better.
Marine from Marine

United States

#4 Sep 2, 2010
I drive that intersection 10 times a week and it has never been dangerous or a long wait. Seems to me spending that kind of money in this economy is not so bright. I will let everyone know how well the round-a-bout works.
roundadoubter

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Sep 2, 2010
Are these harder to keep cleared of snow? Seems they might be? It might be able to handle the most cars, but in what kinds of weather? The way highways are built now, it seems like the engineers are from out of state.
Turk

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Sep 2, 2010
Heck I have stumbled into the roundabouts in Cottage Grove and it seems like they save gas and are much quicker than stopping at a stop sign. The next time you are down there drive on the road leading to Menards off 61 and try out the roundabout.

I bomb through the things not paying much attention to the painted lanes, instead just take the shortest path of course using turn signal indicating a lane change makeing my path legal, I guess.

It seems the raised center does obstruct vision of traffic and the thing might be safer without the obstruction.

The other observation is pedestrian saftey. Vehicle operators are watching for other traffic on the round about and I don't think it's easy or safe for pedestrians to cross the roads leading to/from a roundabout.

IF the roundabout in Forest Lake has a lot of kids crossing the roads that should be taken into consideration.

I visited France and they don't allow pedestrians to cross the roundabout roads, traffic doesn't stop, think about it.
FL RESIDENT

Avon, MN

#7 Sep 2, 2010
The leading complainers about the Forest Lake roundabout fail to tell you they or their business partners would have gained hundreds of thousands if not a million + dollars each from sale of property or right of way if there favorite alternative would have been selected. Of course they are now complaining about the selection and how the money is being spent.
Imagine

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Sep 2, 2010
$5.5Mil for an intersection. And yet some people wonder why the cities cry with every cut to LGA. Without LGA, they might have to put up a regular, non-European intersection.
pick me pick me

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Sep 2, 2010
Oh, oh! I just LOVE articles about roundabouts! I have to pass through the one on Highway 3 north of Farmington multiple times every day. At first, I was way against it. Now I think it's GREAT! It's a huge source of amusement watching all the drivers play chicken. And was especially fund when the county cop decided to park on the down-hill side of the roundabout, inside the 'landscaped' area, so folks approaching from uphill had no clue he was there. More more!
to roundadoubter

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Sep 2, 2010
Our lovely roundabout has recked curbs and downed signage all winter. So lovely!
TaxTaxTax

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Sep 2, 2010
The public just needs to sit down, shut up and accept what the traffic engineers tell us we need. After all, these are the guys who created the entrance ramp from 35South that hops onto 694 East and engineered the bridge over the mississiiip. Oh, wait.

Never mind.
Turk

Plymouth, MN

#12 Sep 2, 2010
to roundadoubter wrote:
Our lovely roundabout has recked curbs and downed signage all winter. So lovely!
Government forgets about Winter. Met Council hires consultants from California and they look at Minnesota and recommend walking towns etc when we all know when it's -20 it isn't smart to walk. just like when it's +95 with high humidity.
Bucky Badger

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Sep 2, 2010
Try driving an emergency vehicle through these things with heavy traffic. The roundabouts on Hwy's 7 and 95 (So. Washington Co) are totally chaotic and useless. Waste of money for construction and maintenance.
Turk

Plymouth, MN

#14 Sep 2, 2010
TaxTaxTax wrote:
The public just needs to sit down, shut up and accept what the traffic engineers tell us we need. After all, these are the guys who created the entrance ramp from 35South that hops onto 694 East and engineered the bridge over the mississiiip. Oh, wait.
Never mind.
AND is currently building a $3 million dollar bike bridge over 120 at 36 in North Saint Paul so the recreational bikers will be safe, they NEVER were at risk..

Meanwhile the 12/36 intersection just feet from the new bike bridge has numerous motor vehicle wrecks AND carries 40,000 vehicles a day..

Thanks to Senator Wiger and Rep Lillie for the asinine priorities.
TaxTaxTax

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Sep 2, 2010
Now you are really hurting some feelings. People don't expect you to do stuff right on your job, do they?

Wait.

Never mind!
Turk wrote:
<quoted text>
AND is currently building a $3 million dollar bike bridge over 120 at 36 in North Saint Paul so the recreational bikers will be safe, they NEVER were at risk..
Meanwhile the 12/36 intersection just feet from the new bike bridge has numerous motor vehicle wrecks AND carries 40,000 vehicles a day..
Thanks to Senator Wiger and Rep Lillie for the asinine priorities.
parade watcher

Le Sueur, MN

#16 Sep 2, 2010
I can hardly wait for the next Fourth of July parade. In order to march through the roundabout smoothly, all the tall kids in the marching band are going to have to be on one side, and the short kids on the other. No idea how they will get the floats through. As for pedestrians---good luck!!
roundadoubter

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Sep 2, 2010
to roundadoubter wrote:
That was kind of what I figured. Commercial vehicles might have issues too if the roundabout is not made large enough for them to be able to navigate.

My only recent experience with roundabouts was down in Chaska near their golf course. The signage the city put up pointing me to the golf course made me go the wrong way twice.(I was successful the third time as there were only 3 options.) My friend said he circled the roundabout 3 times trying to figure out the signage, so I only felt slightly foolish after hearing that.

Lots of curbs. Lots of expense. Lots of confusion. I believe they are putting one in at Hwy 5 and Stillwater Blvd in Lake Elmo. Coming down that hill at 55 MPH and having cars enter a two-lane roundabout should be, <ahem,> "interesting."
roundadoubter

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Sep 2, 2010
TaxTaxTax wrote:
Never mind.
That 35W/694 interchange is one of the MOST dangerous things I have EVER seen. I thought when one car got flipped off the bridge deck onto 35W below, that might be enough impetus for change to get MNDOT to change it back to the way it was. But no, its still there!! They have no common sense! The "unweave the weave" at 35E/694 is a more woven mess than when they started. Don't get me started on how poorly constructed these new projects are! They look run-down and shoddy as soon as they are completed.
Taxed Out

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Sep 2, 2010
For those of you who think the engineers say this is the best solution, remember they have the state, county, and city accountants and elected officials telling them what they can and can't due. I'll bet if you asked the engineers off the record and in private they would tell you something very different then what they tell you in a public setting. Either way Forest Lake is about to find out how well it works here.
sean

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Sep 2, 2010
"I'm an engineer, I'm pretty well-rounded" Paul Hornby is a pretty special guy! It's great that FL is getting a new city manager and part of a new council. A new engineer would be nice as well!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Afton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota's medicinal pot growers nearly ready ... May 6 Unknown Male 2
Nick Caron Mar '15 DANNY BOY 1
News Mortgage scam snagged scores (Jun '08) Feb '15 thompson twins 64
Furnace Review Jan '15 John 1
Review: Schuebel's Heating and Air Conditioning Dec '14 John 1
Troops of Saint George Dec '14 John 1
News Woman Stole Thousands From Woodbury Surgery Cen... (Sep '14) Sep '14 mslancelot 1
More from around the web

Afton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]