Next Last
ATT customer

Jackson, MO

#1 Jan 10, 2010
??
ShowMeGuy

United States

#2 Jan 11, 2010
Advance has 3G. Unfortunately - it's from Verizon & not AT & T.
Lame

United States

#3 Jan 11, 2010
ShowMeGuy wrote:
Advance has 3G. Unfortunately - it's from Verizon & not AT & T.
You are right but it's not that big of a deal, AT&T's Edge network (The network we have in town) is just as fast as Verizon's 3G network so there really is no merit to their claims about coverage.
ShowMeGuy

United States

#4 Jan 11, 2010
Lame wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right but it's not that big of a deal, AT&T's Edge network (The network we have in town) is just as fast as Verizon's 3G network so there really is no merit to their claims about coverage.
Lame - don't think I can buy that one. I've actually tried both. Verizon's 3G is at least 4 to 5 times faster than Edge. I can download on Verizon at an average of 1.2 Mpbs. Was never able to get much over 135 to 175 Kbps on Edge & that was on a good day.

I couldn't connect to my work's VPN on Edge as the speed was too slow - but have never had a problem with Verizon. I kept Edge about 2 weeks - then sent it back and switched to Verizon.

Besides that - I had numerous I-Phone apps that wouldn't load (or took forever to load) on the Edge network as it was too slow - they would only work well on 3G.

I think AT & T has a much larger Edge coverage area - but there's NO WAY the speed matches 3G.
Lame

United States

#5 Jan 11, 2010
ShowMeGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lame - don't think I can buy that one. I've actually tried both. Verizon's 3G is at least 4 to 5 times faster than Edge. I can download on Verizon at an average of 1.2 Mpbs. Was never able to get much over 135 to 175 Kbps on Edge & that was on a good day.
I couldn't connect to my work's VPN on Edge as the speed was too slow - but have never had a problem with Verizon. I kept Edge about 2 weeks - then sent it back and switched to Verizon.
Besides that - I had numerous I-Phone apps that wouldn't load (or took forever to load) on the Edge network as it was too slow - they would only work well on 3G.
I think AT & T has a much larger Edge coverage area - but there's NO WAY the speed matches 3G.
You do recall that the iPhone was originally built without 3G capabilities right? It actually took the second generation iPhone to be able to utilize the 3G network and even then it doesn't do it well. They have stopped selling the iPhone in the NYC area because there have been so many complaints.
oh my

United States

#6 Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, so many complaints cause at&t sucks!
hmmm

Columbia, MO

#7 Jan 27, 2010
dont you have to have a 3g network to have some basis for the edge network?
ShowMeGuy

United States

#8 Jan 28, 2010
hmmm wrote:
dont you have to have a 3g network to have some basis for the edge network?
Don't think so? Edge network was actually around for several years before AT & T started their 3G network.
Funny

United States

#9 Jan 28, 2010
Is that what the E stands for besides my service? Ha. Always wondered about that. Learn something new everyday. Anyways, I live outside of Advance and I have the iPhone and to be honest I can't really tell a difference in terms of speed when I'm on 3G and when I'm on Edge. They both download at faster speeds than my shitty dial-up Internet, which is sad when I can download videos on YouTube on my iPhone at about 10 times the speed as it takes on my computer (no joke - it takes me a good hour just to download a 3-minute video on my computer).

Jackson, MO

#10 Jan 28, 2010
Funny wrote:
Is that what the E stands for besides my service? Ha. Always wondered about that. Learn something new everyday. Anyways, I live outside of Advance and I have the iPhone and to be honest I can't really tell a difference in terms of speed when I'm on 3G and when I'm on Edge. They both download at faster speeds than my shitty dial-up Internet, which is sad when I can download videos on YouTube on my iPhone at about 10 times the speed as it takes on my computer (no joke - it takes me a good hour just to download a 3-minute video on my computer).
If you can get an aircard to have pretty good service where you live, I think the cost may be worth it. All of the cell phone companies have one but I don't know the differences on price and coverage. Our area is really spotty for aircard coverage.
Blu

Flushing, NY

#11 Jan 31, 2010
3g kicks out about five miles from Advance while on my way home from cape, but thier site shows it covers Advance for the most part. But I've yet to get it to work in town..
Kennedy

United States

#12 Mar 14, 2010
I have a blackberry storm, with Verizon, and I have 3G everywhere. Advance, Zalma, Puxico, even Bernie. Even that dead zone in Bloomfield.
ditto

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Mar 14, 2010
Me too . I have awesome service on my b-berry storm.
still waiting

United States

#14 May 16, 2011
Att 3G here in advance still a dream?
local

United States

#15 May 19, 2011
Lame wrote:
<quoted text>You do recall that the iPhone was originally built without 3G capabilities right? It actually took the second generation iPhone to be able to utilize the 3G network and even then it doesn't do it well. They have stopped selling the iPhone in the NYC area because there have been so many complaints.
I have had an IPhone for over four years. I love it. Both old (3) and new(4). I wish we had 3G. But I know I choose to live in the country. One of these days we will get it. Tried Verizon.. It is awful. Also tried sprint, even worse. I've had AT&T for over 10 years. I'm sticking with them.
advance

United States

#16 May 24, 2011
still waiting wrote:
Att 3G here in advance still a dream?
Heard today from Att that June will bring 3G to Advance and Marble Hill..
local

Chicago, IL

#17 May 25, 2011
advance wrote:
<quoted text>Heard today from Att that June will bring 3G to Advance and Marble Hill..
Also they are in the beginning phase of their own 4G. Starting in Dallas, NY, and two other large cities.
whatswrongwithup eople

Saint Louis, MO

#18 May 25, 2011
Verizon has had 3g forever. I always had 3g and faster service thatn my friends w/att. I now have verizon Iphone4 and still same great 3g and service. I have had Verizon for 10 years. Hands down better than ATT. SIMPLY STATED. Oh and by the way I kept my unlimited data plan for 29.99 a month. Simply the best.
local

United States

#19 May 27, 2011
whatswrongwithupeople wrote:
Verizon has had 3g forever. I always had 3g and faster service thatn my friends w/att. I now have verizon Iphone4 and still same great 3g and service. I have had Verizon for 10 years. Hands down better than ATT. SIMPLY STATED. Oh and by the way I kept my unlimited data plan for 29.99 a month. Simply the best.
My unlimited data is only 15.00.
My business cell is Verizon, and it is awful. Crappy service and drops calls all the time.
local

United States

#20 May 27, 2011
whatswrongwithupeople wrote:
Also it says your in Jackson. So you can't relate!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Advance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hood Girls (Apr '14) 1 hr little one 3
Billy Coomer 4 hr His Wife 2
To be kind 17 hr Ashley Chapman 6
Wondering 17 hr guest 2
beagle puppies Sun josh 1
lisa brown fb Sun Guest 2
Safe Building Bond Issue - Yes or NO ? Sun rednek 41
Advance Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web