Old Railroad Station
af confluence

Lansdale, PA

#1 Oct 23, 2009
i used to have coffee and powdered sugar doughnuts in that building with my dad when i was a kid john reed that lived down ramcat hollow used to hang out there also my father was an engineer for the b&o railroad

“I'm just a crazy kinda gal!”

Since: Oct 08

Confluence

#2 Oct 23, 2009
af confluence wrote:
i used to have coffee and powdered sugar doughnuts in that building with my dad when i was a kid john reed that lived down ramcat hollow used to hang out there also my father was an engineer for the b&o railroad
I was real young when the tower was still there. The only thing I remember about it is walking up the steps and getting a splinter in my hand and the guy at the top took my splinter out and then gave me a deck of cards with a cat sleeping on them, I think I might still have them around here someplace. LOL And then later riding the train into Rockwood and the train stopped for a long time and my grandfather pulled his car up next to the train and taking me out the train window and him and I went to the bar until the train started running again...LOL
Old Confluence

Newark, DE

#3 Oct 30, 2009
That picture of the old railway station certainly brings back memories. My Dad was an engineer on the B & O railroad. When I was little we waited at the station to go shopping in Cumberland, Maryland and then rode the train back home and walked to West Side. Thanks for the memories.
frog town sista

Johnstown, PA

#4 Jan 10, 2010
I remember as a young girl us kids walking up those steps so the man would give us old lead that we would make rings of it we thought we were so cool LOL thanks for the memories
Cnflunc Kid

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jan 15, 2010
Nothing negative intended, but the photograph is not of the railroad station. It is of a control tower on the east side of the tracks. The actual B&O Railroad Station was on the west side of the tracks facing the main street. It would have been on the left side of the photograph, but out of view in this picture.

The Kid

Confluence

#6 Jan 15, 2010
Cnflunc Kid wrote:
Nothing negative intended, but the photograph is not of the railroad station. It is of a control tower on the east side of the tracks. The actual B&O Railroad Station was on the west side of the tracks facing the main street. It would have been on the left side of the photograph, but out of view in this picture.
The Kid
I do not take it negative at all...thanks for clearing it up...after you said it was the control tower I was like doh! that is right it was the control tower. I am trying to think how old I was when the derailment happened and I think that is when the tower got destroyed...could be wrong though.
Doozie

Johnstown, PA

#7 Jan 15, 2010
CNFLNCE GRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not take it negative at all...thanks for clearing it up...after you said it was the control tower I was like doh! that is right it was the control tower. I am trying to think how old I was when the derailment happened and I think that is when the tower got destroyed...could be wrong though.
I believe it was May 6 1996 when the derailment accured. I know for sure it was May 6th, not sure about the year, But '96 is very close. I remember that day as if it was yesturday. The whole town was evacuated, and was told to go to the Turkeyfoot School. A man lost his life that morning, the time was 5:36 am. Give me shivers thinking about it. The last gentleman that I remember running it was Mr. Gosnell. But that was many moons ago, when I was a child.
Doozie

Johnstown, PA

#8 Jan 16, 2010
Oops, I meant to say 1986.. sorry

Confluence

#9 Mar 8, 2010
Thanks Cnflunc Kid for the correction...I changed the title.
John Critchfield

Kingsport, TN

#10 Aug 27, 2010
My grandparents lived at the end of Latrobe across the street from this tower.I spent a whole lotta time here in the 50's and 60's.My Grandfather,Gomer Edwards knew a whole lot about the railroad...and this picture is like a trip back there.
Dianne

Old Saybrook, CT

#11 Jan 13, 2013
I just tuned into this site - I grew up along the tracks in "Frog Town" and my uncle was a conductor on the train. Every day he would throw the paper off the train and my mom and I would have to cross the "swamp" on a board and pick it up.
u tell me

Somerset, PA

#12 Jan 13, 2013
there were 2 dreailments. one in 1982,that is the one that took out the control tower,and the bridge.the other was known as the gummie bear wreck in 1986 to some of us.
Terry Gosnell

Bentonville, AR

#13 Jan 24, 2013
My dad Phillip Gosnell was the one who probley took the splinter out of your hand. And also the one who gave you the lead. he worked in that tower for years. I remember as a kid going to visit him and bringing his lunchand showing him the fish i had caught out of the laurl hill river. And he would also give me lead to use as a sinker on my fishing line. He retired from the railroad with 40 years of service.
Love you DAD,
RIP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Addison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar store May 19 Disappointed cust... 3
News Police: Pa. mom accidentally shoots 2 daughters (Jan '11) May 16 Natalie R 45
Shawn Riggle (Dec '13) Apr '15 none of your buis... 25
Stories of hauntings, etc... in the mountain area. (Jan '11) Feb '15 CaliforniaGal 244
Sherman's (Nov '14) Feb '15 fox 11
Confluence In December Dec '14 A Resident 1
used to be nice quiet town (Mar '14) Dec '14 Bass ackwards 10
More from around the web

Addison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]