Denver ban curbs pit bulls, sends them underground

Full story: Chicago Tribune

In a city where owning a pit bull is against the law, Sonya Dias didn't have the stomach for a life of crime.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
tasha

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 7, 2007
 
thats messed up homeys pitbulls shouldn't haved to go through all of that dog pond can go a way .
tasha

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 7, 2007
 
if you dont like pitbulls go a way
DogLover

Thiensville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 21, 2008
 
Denver is screwed up! What next? They don't like Blacks, so they will be outlawed too!? Those RACISTS! To HELL WITH THOSE DENVER CLAN MEMBERS!
greg

Yankton, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 21, 2008
 
DogLover wrote:
Denver is screwed up! What next? They don't like Blacks, so they will be outlawed too!? Those RACISTS! To HELL WITH THOSE DENVER CLAN MEMBERS!
you got an idea there!!!!
Chicagoland

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Because I've met very nice well behaved Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, etc I've often disagreed with and fought breed specific ordinances. And in doing so, I've often labeled these proposals "Canine Racism".

But, that said, something is definitely wrong with pit-bulls - These dogs, even the ones with ultra-conscientious owners, without fail all have a screw loose. And a very dangerous screw at that.

I would NEVER oppose a ban aimed at pit bulls. And, though I hate to admit it, if legislation were ever proposed that called for the destruction of every last one of these very troubled beasts - I would actively support it.
Jeff

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 24, 2008
 
The moniker "homeys pitbulls" shows the mentality of the typical owner. Making owners responsible for the actions of their pets would be far more effective then a ban. Prosecutions for assault and murder would effectively end ownership by the common idiot.
Rough Break Cupcake

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 24, 2008
 
Jeff wrote:
The moniker "homeys pitbulls" shows the mentality of the typical owner. Making owners responsible for the actions of their pets would be far more effective then a ban. Prosecutions for assault and murder would effectively end ownership by the common idiot.
Bad pet owners are always so very surprised when they get charged with "Battery With A Deadly Weapon". When your dog bites your neighbor, as far as the law is concerned it's just like you walked over there and hit the man with an aluminum bat.
kristin

Slingerlands, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 17, 2008
 
This is really sickening and people must really be ignorant! I have a pit bull at home and he is the biggest baby you could ever meet. People need to understand that what matters is how you raise your dog. The reasons why pit bulls are so discriminated against is b/c a lot of times they are trained for fighting and then abandoned- if any other breed of dog was to go through the same thing then you would see that they would do the same thing. pit bulls are actually great family dogs and are very loyal to the people around them. you would know that if you owned one!!
Sir_keebler

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 7, 2008
 
You know it is funny! I have seen alot of different breeds of dogs turn on their owners. Lots. Whether there dobermans, Rotts, hell even small dogs like pugs and terriers. I dont here no one calling a ban on them dogs. A pit should be no different. If a dog is raised and treated right, it wont turn. If it is not treated right, or if it is abused, it will go chaotic. Even a damn french poodle will do that.

I have been around alot of pits, and for the majority, they have been good dogs. Dont blame the dogs for the owners mistakes.

as for the person who said they would actively support the execution of all Pits, but not other breeds. I have seen more rotts turn vicious than Pits.
Mary

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 24, 2009
 
kristin wrote:
This is really sickening and people must really be ignorant! I have a pit bull at home and he is the biggest baby you could ever meet. People need to understand that what matters is how you raise your dog. The reasons why pit bulls are so discriminated against is b/c a lot of times they are trained for fighting and then abandoned- if any other breed of dog was to go through the same thing then you would see that they would do the same thing. pit bulls are actually great family dogs and are very loyal to the people around them. you would know that if you owned one!!
yeah, they are loyal to you, because your family are the pack leaders ... don't think strangers are that lucky. and, in the end you have to admit, humans bred them to be killers, not that easy to change a trait that is so embedded in their genes. my dog was attacked by pits in a dog park, and those dogs should definitely not be off a leash and among other pets or even worse humans.
Frankie Miller

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 24, 2009
 
I feel that any breed ban is unconstitutional, a person's rights are taken away. To me breed bans are nothing but discrimination,@ it's core. People that own any animal in general, need to be educated on the particular breed that they own. No one should have to own a dog in secret. And to those that hate pitbulls, if there were no pitbulls there would be another breed that people would get to replace them! In my opinion breed bans only lead to racial profiling of people that own them. Pitbulls are sweet loving dogs, but they are not for the irresponsible or ill informed owner. I own one myself, & I would never give him up!! I would die to keep him, just as he would die to protect me & my family! This is the best dog in my opinion, that has ever been created, extreme loyalty, eagerness to please, & very affectionate. Most of all they are extremely beautiful in structure. If u have never owned one then u don't understand & never will. I would take my dog any day over most human beings that I meet!!! We are the one's that should be banned! I would never live in a place where my dog was banned!! And I will continue my efforts to fight Breed Specific Legislation, along with other responsible pitbull owners where ever it may be! I say ban stupid ignorant people that hate pitbulls!!!
2 pit owner

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 19, 2010
 
You are RIGHT! I have two pits over the last 5 years.. ONE WRONG MOVE...and they WILL lick your face to DEATH! unbelieveably loving dogs.. Ive had dobermans, rotts, and these Pits are personally on their own level!
PC alderman

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 20, 2010
 
Euthanize the whole breed, nothing but trouble , a menace to society
PC alderman

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 20, 2010
 
better yet, mix them with feral cats and make a stew! ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Since: Jan 09

Melrose Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 26, 2010
 
Pit bulls that are aggressive are that way because of their owners. Period. This is one of the most loving, protective, and smart breeds. They are known to "never give up" which is a trait that can be used for good and for bad. It's a very hard thing to train a dog properly. It doesn't matter what the breed. It's just easy to blame the dog, they can't talk. But the ignorant people can.
Puppy Pappa

Dundalk, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 26, 2010
 
PC alderman wrote:
Euthanize the whole breed, nothing but trouble , a menace to society
The more I learn about people,(especially ones like you) the more I love my pit bull. How about this? I think you're a menace to sanity so let's euthanize you and everyone related to you. Sound good? Domestic dogs are what they are trained to be. Place the blame where it belongs, on the a$$h0les who train dogs to be violent and aggressive, the idiots who neglect them to become whatever chance dictates, and the scum who abuse them to the point where they hate all humans. You have a right to your opinion. I also have a right to tell you to kiss my a$$, your opinion sucks. I mean that in the nicest way.
Puppy Pappa

Dundalk, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 26, 2010
 
Chicagoland wrote:
Because I've met very nice well behaved Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, etc I've often disagreed with and fought breed specific ordinances. And in doing so, I've often labeled these proposals "Canine Racism".
But, that said, something is definitely wrong with pit-bulls - These dogs, even the ones with ultra-conscientious owners, without fail all have a screw loose. And a very dangerous screw at that.
I would NEVER oppose a ban aimed at pit bulls. And, though I hate to admit it, if legislation were ever proposed that called for the destruction of every last one of these very troubled beasts - I would actively support it.
"Without fail, all have a screw loose"? All? Are you a god that you can make a statement like that? My dogs are living proof that you are wrong. Did you know that there are at least four different breeds of dog that are persecuted under the label of "pit bull"? The staffordshire terrier, the American staffordshire terrier, the American bull dog, and the bull terrier. None of them are pit bulls unless they are trained for the pit. Because of people like you who ignorantly make statements like yours my biggest worry is what people will do to my dogs, not what my dogs may do to people. I've had American staffordshire terriers for many years and never have they harmed anyone.
okay then

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 4, 2010
 
If this nonsense was going on where I lived, I would say...come for my dog and your family will be one less.
okay then

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 4, 2010
 
Excuse me, but I have the living,(or should I say LOVING) breathing contradiction to everything you just said residing in my house. You obviously haven't educated yourself with this breed's history. They were bred to work, and fight dogs. Not humans. The dogmen (dogfighters) discontinued breeding ANY dog that showed ANY aggression to humans, purpose being that they needed to be able to pull their dogs out of a fight without being bitten. Human aggression and dog aggression have NO connection whatsoever. That is a proven fact. The media is out for blood exploiting this breed, all because it makes for a good story, as this is what ignorant people generally expect of this breed from their own misconceptions... Because no one wants to hear about a black lab or a pomeranian tearing a someone's face off. Obviously if a pit did attack someone they have the ability to do more damage than most dogs, because they are naturally muscular and have an athletic build and are very persevering. Smaller dogs are more aggressive than any. But this behavior is considered acceptable, due to their size. The media gives anything involved with this breed too much publicity, whilst other attacks by other dogs are virtually skimmed over or sometimes ignored. It is mis-reported alot of times too, and exaggerated. Statistics are another thing anti-pit people usually throw in my face. They say pitbulls reportedly bite more people than any dog. No they don't. Do you know why?
"The most often quoted breed related bite statistics used as the basis for making public policy are collected from news reports! There is no national standard scientific method for collecting and analyzing this data because total breed populations cannot be accurately determined. Without a denominator, the numerator has no relevance. However, the March 2006 issue of Pediatrics analyzed regional studies where breed population could be reasonably determined by administrative district records. The medical charts of minors seeking medical attention for dog bites were referenced to the breed as verified by the veterinarian providing proof of rabies vaccination. The margin for error not withstanding, the resulting risk index showed that German Shepherds were five times more likely to cause bite trauma to minors that required medical attention than “pit bulls” over a ten year period (Sorry, Rin Tin Tin.) They also said that “we did not identify any of these fighting dog breeds to be likely to attack more frequently than the average”. Pediatrics blamed the increased public awareness of those breeds on the media." -written by Ms. Jade, from TheDogPress.
And alot of people think that these dogs will turn on you, because when people's dogs attack, the owners are often quoted saying, "he was the best dog.. never hurt anyone before this..he was so good with people". No they will not turn on you. They have no "screws" loose. The reason owners say this are:
1.)Their lawyer or defense attorney advises them to say that the dog "snapped". Purpose being, if they admit that the dog had shown signs of aggression towards other animals or humans, or if they admit that the dog was protective or unstable, then therefor they are admitting that they knew that this dog might attack someone under the right circumstances, therefor admitting they could have stopped it. Please don't be ignorant people.
http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Jade/06_Me...
okay then

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 4, 2010
 
Continued.
Also, pitbulls are sadly still ,today, used for fighting other pitbulls. Back Yard Breeders produce countless puppies to sell to fighters. These breeders breed for MONEY and LOOKS and not for the better temperament, health, and future of the breed like good, reputable, responsible breeders do. Dogs from BYB are often inbred and unstable, thus creating the dogs you see on the news. That's not to say that dumbass owners who know nothing about the breed aren't another root cause of this problem, too. Because oh, they are. This breed, like any other dog breed, has needs. They must be met. They must be in a suitable environment, with lots of exercise and socialization and activity. One of those needs is also LOVE. People neglect and abuse these dogs in countless, horrible ways.. Those same people also allow their dog to run loose, with no reguard for the dog's safety or anyone else's.
So Breed-Specific Legislation is not the answer. Not trying to judge people who support it, but I must say this. If you do not like them and fear them, then stay away from them. Don't try to take them away from other responsible owners who love them. The answer lies within the stricter enforcement of LEASH LAWS, spay & neuter, and the like.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Addison Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Addison Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Addison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Addison News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Addison
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••