Convention Center Loses $500,000

Posted in the Adamsburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Only in Erie

Erie, PA

#1 Feb 21, 2013
http://www.goerie.com/article/20130221/NEWS02...

The white elephant loses HALF A MILLION DOLLARS this yeat alone and thats considered good? Only in Erie.

$100,000,000 to build a facility to host Wine on the Lake or the Erie Golf Expo? Are you kidding me? Only in Erie.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#2 Feb 21, 2013
I guarantee you that the number is being low-balled.
ben dover

Clyde, OH

#3 Feb 21, 2013
That's chump change on the gold coast! Eriesponsible....
hemifree

Edinboro, PA

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Only in Erie wrote:
http://www.goerie.com/article/ 20130221/NEWS02/302219871/Cons umer-shows-make-for-busy-winte r-at-Bayfront-Convention-Cente r
The white elephant loses HALF A MILLION DOLLARS this yeat alone and thats considered good? Only in Erie.
$100,000,000 to build a facility to host Wine on the Lake or the Erie Golf Expo? Are you kidding me? Only in Erie.
meanwhile back at scott enterprises
Road warrior

Dalton, GA

#5 Feb 21, 2013
It will only get worse. Erie builds them but no one comes. Will the last person leaving Erie please turn out the lights.
so there

Erie, PA

#6 Feb 21, 2013
this is why they increased the hotel tax. They claimed it was to increase marketing, but that won't happen. All the money goes to the con center. John Oliver shills for the authority on tv and still no marketing. Ever.
hemifree

Edinboro, PA

#7 Feb 21, 2013
lets see what a boondoggle the old Lords building will be............sure is one hell of a fancy parking lot across the street...ka ching ka ching
CRANK

Erie, PA

#8 Feb 22, 2013
This is about double what the operating subsidy was estimated to be when the selling 'snow job' was going on, and does not include the hotel, Warner or Tullio/Erie Insurance arena.

Naturally, those of us who predicted exactly this kind of result were roundly criticized on these boards for being negative, etc.

The problem is not that the thing is never going to make money. The problem is nobody cares that it will never make money. And worse, the next proposed boondoggle will get sold, and accepted by Erie, in exactly the same fashion.(Think about the runway extension. See any increase in service, bigger planes, direct flights to Florida, or any of the other promised benefits?)

Zero accountability.
snag

Erie, PA

#9 Feb 22, 2013
Everybody knew from the day it was built, like County Management...LOOooooooSERS!
Frank

Girard, PA

#10 Feb 22, 2013
From the thread Title, SHOCKER!

Know the board members when they said SPEND SPEND!

IDIOTS!

LOL!
see more

United States

#12 Feb 22, 2013
when you stand on the pubic dock on state st.,over by the "dick on the dock"tower, THE CONVENTION CENTER LOOKS LIKE THE TITANIC.
skip the pee pee

Waterford, PA

#13 Feb 22, 2013
CRANK wrote:
Think about the runway extension. See any increase in service, bigger planes, direct flights to Florida, or any of the other promised benefits?
Actually, going to Florida, end of March. Could have gotten a direct flight out of Erie but it was around $700/person.
bay rat

Stow, OH

#14 Feb 22, 2013
Who gives a shit what their operating deficit is? The facility provides a platform for commerce. All the local businesses that benefit from that commerce are happy to have it. Unless you have been frequenting the local hotels the taxes that subsidize the facility aren't paid by you. They just handed don jon another 5 million in capital improvements for their facility. That "grant" actually was your state tax money. Pick something else to bitch about that really did cost you something.
Frank

Girard, PA

#15 Feb 22, 2013
bay rat wrote:
Who gives a shit what their operating deficit is? The facility provides a platform for commerce. All the local businesses that benefit from that commerce are happy to have it. Unless you have been frequenting the local hotels the taxes that subsidize the facility aren't paid by you. They just handed don jon another 5 million in capital improvements for their facility. That "grant" actually was your state tax money. Pick something else to bitch about that really did cost you something.
??????
Robert

Oviedo, FL

#18 Feb 22, 2013
Waste!
Joe America

Conneautville, PA

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Sure it makes sense that now you have to pay to go the auto show. Going to the mall for free to see the new cars worked for years.
Bonerell Quality Control

Clyde, OH

#20 Feb 23, 2013
Joe America wrote:
Sure it makes sense that now you have to pay to go the auto show. Going to the mall for free to see the new cars worked for years.
why do either ?
Joe America

Conneautville, PA

#21 Feb 23, 2013
Bonerell Quality Control wrote:
<quoted text>why do either ?
Good Point. I wouldn't go to either. But I find it interesting that people would acctually pay to look at something to buy.
snag

Erie, PA

#22 Feb 23, 2013
Sell to Nick Scott, I am sure he can make a buck at it and will add to tax base also!
Nasty

Erie, PA

#23 Feb 23, 2013
It's Erie. Who cares anymore ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adamsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GE Management leaving Erie 1 hr Member 13
"Singing in the Rain" starring Paul Manafort 2 hr tim leary 10
Naive #never again students 3 hr Buford Pusser 6
FBI failed to investigate school shooter 3 hr Cher bang bang 51
GE Erie to propose new Overtime rules 4 hr Transparent 71
why do blacks think stupid is cool? 4 hr Black Panther 17
The Faggy Matty Clark Thread: Part 2 4 hr Randy Cunninghamster 6

Adamsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance