Strange noise overhead in Acworth GA

Posted in the Acworth Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jimmy

Atlanta, GA

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Early this morning (about 12:30 am) my wife and I were awakened by a very strange noise. It sounded as if something was flying over head be we have never heard a noise like this before. It shook our entire house and flew over twice, about 6 mins apart. Did anyone else hear this? What in the world was it?
Clindsey

Griffin, GA

#2 Jan 13, 2011
We heard it too. It shook our house as well. We live in the Towne Lake area. I would like to know what it was too!
Jimmy

Atlanta, GA

#3 Jan 14, 2011
We are also in the towne lake area. Never heard anything like that before. Did you hear it twice as well?
clindsey

Griffin, GA

#4 Jan 14, 2011
HI, I wanted you to know that I called the police department as well as the Cherokee Ledger, and they didn't know anything. I didn't hear it twice, although the first time was enough for me. I have also Googled to see if anyone else said anything about it, and couldn't come up with anything. I am going to go on Twitter to see if anyone sent any Tweets about it, but so far after investigating I am coming up with nothing...
Jimmy

Atlanta, GA

#5 Jan 14, 2011
I tried googling it as well and came up with nothing. Hence why I started this. Please let me know what you find out. We are VERY interested in this. Trying to come up with reasonable explainations but I have just NEVER heard anything like that before.
Yankee

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jan 14, 2011
I dont want to sound like a smart alec but is it possible that what you heard was a snow plow going up and down the street? I lived up north most of my life and those trucks driving with the plows scraping against the pavement can make an awfull noise. If you are not used to it, it can be a little alarming. Just a thought....
Jimmy

Woodstock, GA

#7 Jan 15, 2011
Born and raised in upstate NY myself. Def not a plow, was overhead and it had a very weird hum. Also, Live on a dead end street which was not plowed. Believe me, I wish it was a plow...
Yankee

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jan 16, 2011
Oh well, thought it was worth a try. Good luck in your search.
Slimshady 313

United States

#9 Jan 17, 2011
I live near downtown Acworth on Lake Allatoona. I heard it twice. Sounded like a low flying big helicopter. Very loud, shook the house!
Jimmy wrote:
Early this morning (about 12:30 am) my wife and I were awakened by a very strange noise. It sounded as if something was flying over head be we have never heard a noise like this before. It shook our entire house and flew over twice, about 6 mins apart. Did anyone else hear this? What in the world was it?
twhite

Toledo, OH

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Slimshady 313 wrote:
<quoted text>I live near downtown Acworth on Lake Allatoona. I heard it twice. Sounded like a low flying big helicopter. Very loud, shook the house!
i also live in near downtown acworth right on lake allatoona and i heard the same thing. it was helicopter flying overhead. I looked outside and saw it for myself. It was very loud and shook my house too. It came overhead twice but was definately a helicopter. If that helps yall out at all. I went outside because it scarred me and i didnt know what it was!

- t.white <3
pressingpro

Houston, TX

#11 Jan 25, 2012
live in paulding county acworth, ga, off Cedar Crest. I felt a very large rumble that shook the house last night at about 10pm. I looked out my door and in the middle of the unfinished subdivision, or maybe a little further out. I saw a low flying helicopter i think. It was inclining and it flew away. Not sure why. awkward. anybody else see or hear it?
Ninja in the house

Douglasville, GA

#12 Jan 25, 2012
Huntin' weed!
Greg

Roswell, GA

#13 Oct 6, 2012
Came across this post bc my brother and I have been listening to what sounds like a metallic humming noise in the sky over what would be the direction of 575/92 in the Woodstock area. This has been going on for about 40 minutes with no gap. All it does is changes frequency and the pitch but otherwise it has not subsided. We at first thought a plane, then maybe the recycling plant and then lastly Dixie Speedway but we have realized all those are not it due to logic. Has anyone else heard it or have any ideas on what it may be?
Current time is 11:20, started around 10:40, still ongoing.
Alan

Acworth, GA

#14 Oct 14, 2012
I live in Acworth near 92 and 75. My wife and I heard loud rumbles last night around 10:00. First we thought it may be thunder, but the sky was clear and it sounded more like a collision. It repeated for a few minutes. Then stopped for a minute and started again. I wonder if anyone else heard it or know what it is.
Greg

Marietta, GA

#15 Oct 14, 2012
Alan wrote:
I live in Acworth near 92 and 75. My wife and I heard loud rumbles last night around 10:00. First we thought it may be thunder, but the sky was clear and it sounded more like a collision. It repeated for a few minutes. Then stopped for a minute and started again. I wonder if anyone else heard it or know what it is.
Wow my brother called me yesterday around that time. We heard a weird noise last week but yesterday he and his wife heard the same thing around the same time. They were saying it sounded like explosions in the sky and that they were both pretty spooked. Ill tell him to post his experience. They live in Woodstock.
J Law

Marietta, GA

#16 Nov 26, 2012
My wife and I heard a rumbling sounds. Kinda like a jet engine but the sound was consistent (as if hovering in the immediate area) not like your typical dopplar effect of a passing plane. First bout was approximately 2-3 minutes and then it faded very quickly and was gone. Came back a couple times for about 15-30 seconds and faded just as quickly. Very odd. I have been in that house for over 3 years and never heard something like this.
Lmyers

Adairsville, GA

#17 Nov 27, 2012
J Law wrote:
My wife and I heard a rumbling sounds. Kinda like a jet engine but the sound was consistent (as if hovering in the immediate area) not like your typical dopplar effect of a passing plane. First bout was approximately 2-3 minutes and then it faded very quickly and was gone. Came back a couple times for about 15-30 seconds and faded just as quickly. Very odd. I have been in that house for over 3 years and never heard something like this.
I live in Woodstock, ga and for the past two nights somewhere between 11:00pm, and 12:30am My husband and I have been awwken by stange noises. Once it was as described as above rumbling of some sort and I could feel the house shake a little. It went away only to be followed by some metal or ( i cant eve explain it) maybe music?? Has anyone heard anything like this? 11/26/12 & 11/27/12
Mary

Hampton, GA

#18 Nov 30, 2012
So, today - 11/30/2012 Big noise - 9am - 9:30 ish. Sounded like a huge jet engine hovering overhead. Hovering being the key word here? Lasted about 4 minutes and stopped cold. Restarted a few minutes later and then stopped. It did it several times. Noon now and no additional noise. Very strange though. We turned on the police scanner for Cobb County and it was silent!!!! Nothing!!!! No chatter, No calls etc. Something very odd.
Carrolton

Acworth, GA

#19 Dec 26, 2012
Not sure what time I heard the noise, but I first thought it was thunder, but it went on for to long. I live in Acworth and another person here in Acworth heard it and thought it was an explosion on I75, and another person in Kenessaw also heard it. Would also like to know what it was, because like the rest of the replys, it was like nothing I have ever heard before.
James

Ardsley, NY

#20 Jan 5, 2013
I live In Marietta pa. This morning my girlfriend and I where suddenly woken by what seems to be the sounds Mentioned above... It just came out of nowhere... We were freaked and kinda froze in place... It rumbled for a bit and trailed off... It was a few minutes till it was no longer audible. I was on here to see if anyone posted any info and I came across this thread. I'm very curious as to what we experienced. Anyone still checking this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug Task Force 3 hr Tolermsn 22
wbhf 100.3 fm am 1450 Thu SEA BASS 29
FREE classes to help prepare you for disasters! Thu Prepperrob 1
No one really wants a nympho (Dec '15) Thu Mr Hardup 12
whats your favorite sex toy ? (Jul '14) Thu Derk Diggler 30
Miss Scoggins Acworth Elementary School circa 1960 Jul 30 "Dirty" Dirk Donker 2
Dawn Coffey Tucker (Oct '14) Jul '16 Barnaby Jones 5

Acworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance