Solar firm's tab is in dispute - Sent...

Solar firm's tab is in dispute - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 43 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jan 13, 2011, titled Solar firm's tab is in dispute - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Nashoba Publishing/John Love The huge Evergreen Solar plant in Devens will close by the end of March, putting 800 people out of work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
57th State

Wellesley, MA

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Maybe the governmet should get out of the practice of picking winners and losers and instead create a pro business climate. Let the market place pick the winners.
Golden boy

Charlestown, MA

#3 Jan 13, 2011
I'm guessing when all is said and done they repay well under a million.
HumBug

Littleton, MA

#4 Jan 13, 2011
Instead of creating these incentive packages and targeting specific industries/companies, maybe the State should just work on creating a business-friendly environment for ALL companies to do business here.

If they would...
- Reduce the Corp Tax rate to 2% for ALL companies
- Revamp the State Unemployment Insurance Program to reduce the rates by 50%(more in line with NH)
- Make MA a 'right to work' state where union membership is voluntary'.

These changes would certainly help MA attract and keep businesses, reducing unemployment and increasing tax revenues from payroll taxes to offset the reduction in corp taxes.

The Govt of MA does love to get involved in social and econimic 'engineering' exercises.

We need a diversified economic base to weather economic storms - the govt taking away from plastics companies to encourage solar companies hurts everyone in the end.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#5 Jan 13, 2011
Obama and the Dummycrats DID create 3 Million Jobs -- in China!

Instead of tackling the main problem of the economy and the high unemployment rate of more than 9%, Obama and the Demoncrats "while having total control" wasted all their power pursuing a chimera called National Health Care. They followed that up by wasting months and months of additional time and money creating a new giant bureaucracy to regulate the banking industry.
If, instead, they had balanced trade, the U.S. would have gained enough jobs to produce an additional $49.9 billion worth of goods per month. With each U.S. manufacturing worker producing approximately $10,000 worth of product each month, this production would have employed about 5 million more manufacturing workers, not to mention additional jobs from workers constructing the new factories, and not to mention the jobs providing services to the newly employed manufacturing workers.

In the meantime, Obama and his Demon-cratic Congress has been passing one new stimulus plan after another -- unpaid-for unemployment compensation, unpaid-for aid to the states, etc., etc.-- all in the vain hope that did nothing but stimulate global demand more effectively than domestic demand.
shaking my head

AOL

#6 Jan 13, 2011
HumBug wrote:
Instead of creating these incentive packages and targeting specific industries/companies, maybe the State should just work on creating a business-friendly environment for ALL companies to do business here.
If they would...
- Revamp the State Unemployment Insurance Program to reduce the rates by 50%(more in line with NH)
These changes would certainly help MA attract and keep businesses, reducing unemployment and increasing tax revenues from payroll taxes to offset the reduction in corp taxes.
The Govt of MA does love to get involved in social and econimic 'engineering' exercises.
We need a diversified economic base to weather economic storms - the govt taking away from plastics companies to encourage solar companies hurts everyone in the end.
While I want to root for you and say touche' someone else gets it, I am held back.
As long as this state has voters that vote D for every candidate, because they can't see this is not the JFK dem party, we will never get anywhere.
nearby

Maynard, MA

#7 Jan 13, 2011
I wonder if they will have a discount sale on panels and cells? I could use a few for a project or two I'm working on with my 9 yr old son.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#8 Jan 13, 2011
HumBug wrote:
If they would...
Free international trade is not the most important issue to be considered. The problem with our trade imbalance would partially solve itself were the United States more business-friendly. American business is overburdened with taxes, regulations, and mandates. Aggressive trial lawyers raise operating costs and pose a constant existential threat. Reduction of corporate income taxes to (just for the sake of argument) 12.5% would have an immediate impact on jobs - more employees created and more returned from overseas. Tort reform would reduce by billions of dollars the wasteful overhead of excessive liability insurance.

We are attempting to compete with China with our hands tied behind our backs. Chinese workers have no rights, are paid low wages, belong to no unions that aren't government-controlled, and work in unsafe conditions. Environmental laws do not exist. Trial lawyers? Are you kidding me? Health insurance? OSHA? EEOC? I could go on and on.

The Chinese government has pulled out all of the stops to advance its economy. Meanwhile, Obama and his Progressive Apparatchiks are busy poisoning the business atmosphere in the U. S. The focus of the Republican Party should be the restoration of American domestic business, by whatever rational means necessary.
Poor Taxpayer

North Chelmsford, MA

#9 Jan 13, 2011
This is the exact reason why taxpayer money should NEVER be given to private companies.
Here We Go Again

Gardner, MA

#10 Jan 13, 2011
I'm what the CEO. CFO, and Mr. Lawson got personally as their salary and bonus incentive to make this company start here and move to China. Corporate greed pays well and they will pay nothing in US taxes once they move to Asia either. What happened to the ideal of Made in the USA. Time to stop imports from China.
just me

Silver Spring, MD

#11 Jan 13, 2011
Don't forget, all you rich republicans got your tax break. And where did the money come from to cover that? The bank of China!
no thanks

AOL

#12 Jan 13, 2011
Stamos wrote:
<quoted text>
Free international trade is not the most important issue to be considered. The problem with our trade imbalance would partially solve itself were the United States more business-friendly. American business is overburdened with taxes, regulations, and mandates. Aggressive trial lawyers raise operating costs and pose a constant existential threat. Reduction of corporate income taxes to (just for the sake of argument) 12.5% would have an immediate impact on jobs - more employees created and more returned from overseas. Tort reform would reduce by billions of dollars the wasteful overhead of excessive liability insurance.
We are attempting to compete with China with our hands tied behind our backs. Chinese workers have no rights, are paid low wages, belong to no unions that aren't government-controlled, and work in unsafe conditions. Environmental laws do not exist. Trial lawyers? Are you kidding me? Health insurance? OSHA? EEOC? I could go on and on.
The Chinese government has pulled out all of the stops to advance its economy. Meanwhile, Obama and his Progressive Apparatchiks are busy poisoning the business atmosphere in the U. S. The focus of the Republican Party should be the restoration of American domestic business, by whatever rational means necessary.
So you want to step back 100+ years, throw out any and all envirommental and safety controls, eliminate benefits and create an economy based on essentialy enslaved, disposable labor?

You should remove the word Rational from you last sentence.

Do you really believe tort reform will fix all that ails us?
If you are against health insurance burdening business, why scream so loud against single payer plans previously discussed?

I don't want to compete with China, or Mexico or any other undeveloped hole that are now making the mistakes we made 100 years ago and have paid dearly to repair.
Thanks to the unfunded wars and profligate spending that began in 2000, we owe so much money to China we can't exact tariffs or protections.
Maybe if these poor industrial giants you cry for that are sitting on piles of cash with the highest profits in years would reinvest in their employees and operate in this country rather than in their pockets, the economy could rise for all.
I'd rather we compete with Germany and their precision manufacturing that can't be replicated in a jungle and create real jobs that can support real workers at a a real wage to provide an economy based on real production of real goods and not just consumption.
If we follow your path our consumption based economy will crater forever when there is no one left with the ability to consume.
Cheap rent

Leominster, MA

#13 Jan 13, 2011
One dollar a year for 23 acres seems a little extreme. Why not 25 cents and we'll kick in millions?
Resident

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jan 13, 2011
So..........we gave this company 58 Million Dollars so they could get on their feet, get organized, grow to a decent size, then move everything including our jobs to China. Great deal for the state Duval!!
Who knew

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jan 13, 2011
Interesting that the announcement didn't come out until after the election.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#17 Jan 13, 2011
Let's not forget Jen Flanagan's recent trip to the Far East, that was paid for by companies there. More jobs to send to China...

LM
Sum Yung Boy

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Jan 13, 2011
Luther Manning wrote:
Let's not forget Jen Flanagan's recent trip to the Far East, that was paid for by companies there. More jobs to send to China...
LM
You dumb like wock Luther!

SYB
marty

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Jan 13, 2011
nice to know that the top 0.5% of money makers in this country can ruin the lives of the poor slobs who break their backs to work in their plants all for a miniscule rise in a profit margin. I hope your extra money is like a millwheel around your neck some day.
JMF

Leominster, MA

#20 Jan 13, 2011
just me wrote:
Don't forget, all you rich republicans got your tax break. And where did the money come from to cover that? The bank of China!
Don't be dupped. Playing class war fare will not help you. Voting for people who want small government and not Corporate coniesm is the only way to move forward.

This technology is old as are windmills. The market has rejected this!! It is only politicians trying to shove this down the throats of the american people. All this money is going down a rat hole. This incident proves the point.

Yet you have Senator John Kerry crying the sky is falling if we don't listen to him.
Shaking My Head

Fitchburg, MA

#21 Jan 13, 2011
shaking my head wrote:
<quoted text>
While I want to root for you and say touche' someone else gets it, I am held back.
As long as this state has voters that vote D for every candidate, because they can't see this is not the JFK dem party, we will never get anywhere.
Please don't use my identifier. I'm fond of it, and I might not share your opinions. I'm not on AOL.
open your eyes

AOL

#22 Jan 14, 2011
JMF wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be dupped. Playing class war fare will not help you. Voting for people who want small government and not Corporate coniesm is the only way to move forward.
This technology is old as are windmills. The market has rejected this!! It is only politicians trying to shove this down the throats of the american people. All this money is going down a rat hole. This incident proves the point.
Yet you have Senator John Kerry crying the sky is falling if we don't listen to him.
Are you joking or stupid?
The people clamoring for "small government" are the same ones bought and sold to the highest corporate bidder, especially gas and oil producers.
The market has not rejected solar or wind power-the US may be the last industrial nation to effectively deploy it-it is proven the world over
Lets see how you see it when gas is up to $5/gallon as projected
Lets see how you see it when even more oil is consumed in China
Lets see how you see when the coal supply is further depleted.
Lets see how you see it when we expend a few thousand more lives, a few billion more dollars and countless years in the middle east.

Its short sighted and foolish to assume fossil fuels are the only answer.
But then we have nuclear-with no real answer to handling the waste that goes with it. Lets go with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Westford neighbors demand action on rowdy Nasho... (Jul '10) Aug '16 Cher 235
News Inspired evolution of Billerica's Whiffle Tree Jul '16 hammerhead 1
Westford water ban and why isn't the town obser... Jul '16 runscottygrun 1
News Billerica weighs smaller lot sizes to attract h... May '16 hammerhead 1
News Did Acton Actually Get an Earthquake? (Feb '16) Feb '16 too 1
News Small Earthquake Reported Near Acton (Feb '16) Feb '16 storm 2day Acton ... 1
News Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Feb '16 Cc employee 39

Acton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Acton Mortgages